Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What happens if in 6 weeks we haven’t got this yet?

+10
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
aualum06
WhiteBoyHatcher
MSU addict
Nordic
CORNER BLITZ
Rocinante
DWags
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What happens if in 6 weeks we haven’t got this yet?    Empty What happens if in 6 weeks we haven’t got this yet?

Post by DWags 2020-03-28, 12:11

Seems to me we’re all trying to dodge this, which is the right thing to do. But won’t we all eventually get this unless they come up with a vaccine? I understand the flatten the curve idea. But if all of us don’t eventually get it, how do we become immune?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What happens if in 6 weeks we haven’t got this yet?    Empty Re: What happens if in 6 weeks we haven’t got this yet?

Post by Rocinante 2020-03-28, 12:28

If I was in one room and got sick and you were in another room and stayed there and we never interacted until I was better and we were the only two people on earth you would never get it. And we could cuddle after I was better.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What happens if in 6 weeks we haven’t got this yet?    Empty Re: What happens if in 6 weeks we haven’t got this yet?

Post by DWags 2020-03-28, 12:33

Rocinante wrote:If I was in one room and got sick and you were in another room and stayed there and we never interacted until I was better and we were the only two people on earth you would never get it. And we could cuddle after I was better.

Could we go on a mall walk?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-03-28, 12:34

Yes. But nobody would be there because we are the only two people on earth, Duane.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-03-28, 12:36

Flattening the curve still has the same area under the curve

People still get the flu even with a vaccine and all sorts of other diseases are still around/comeback

Just make sure to stay away from your hot tub for the next two weeks and you'll be alright
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-28, 13:15

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Flattening the curve still has the same area under the curve

People still get the flu even with a vaccine and all sorts of other diseases are still around/comeback

Just make sure to stay away from your hot tub for the next two weeks and you'll be alright
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-03-28, 13:20

Hopefully in six weeks there will be refined and better treatment options - like using antibodies of those recovered and refined drug therapy with availability - and if everyone gets there shit together more ventilators, so people who could have recovered don't needlessly die.

I am willing to take my chances but would like to know that if things go south that proper medical care will be available.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-28, 13:36

MSU addict wrote:Hopefully in six weeks there will be refined and better treatment options - like using antibodies of those recovered and refined drug therapy with availability - and if everyone gets there shit together more ventilators, so people who could have recovered don't needlessly die.

I am willing to take my chances but would like to know that if things go south that proper medical care will be available.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-03-28, 14:15

MSU addict wrote:Hopefully in six weeks there will be refined and better treatment options - like using antibodies of those recovered and refined drug therapy with availability - and if everyone gets there shit together more ventilators, so people who could have recovered don't needlessly die.

I believe 100% that this will happen. Also there are very positive developments in the past 24 hours in regards to testing. Abbott labs has developed and is starting to ship five minute tests. On the other side, there are a number of antibody tests that are coming very very soon which can determine who has immunity. These are huge developments that will allow us to help isolate and fight this thing.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-03-28, 14:30

Everyone has said wait two weeks and it's been two weeks and it's still wait two weeks. What does that mean I have no idea. I just know you can't live your life locked up forever
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-03-28, 14:36

aualum06 wrote:Everyone has said wait two weeks and it's been two weeks and it's still wait two weeks. What does that mean I have no idea. I just know you can't live your life locked up forever

I beg to differ.

Sincerely,

What happens if in 6 weeks we haven’t got this yet?    SUWNJ05D_400x400
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-03-28, 15:07

aualum06 wrote:Everyone has said wait two weeks and it's been two weeks and it's still wait two weeks. What does that mean I have no idea. I just know you can't live your life locked up forever

Rolling Eyes the fact that people still don’t get it is mind blowing.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-03-28, 15:17

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Get what that staying locked up forever isn't going to be an acceptable outcome. At some point life has to go on
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-03-28, 15:26

aualum06 wrote:

Get what that staying locked up forever isn't going to be an acceptable outcome. At some point life has to go on

Has anyone said forever? Or not at some point? What are you talking about?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-03-28, 15:33

aualum06 wrote:

All I'm saying is everyone has been saying let's see where were at in two weeks for the last two weeks a d we are no closer to answers
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-03-28, 15:41

If I'm not back in 5 minutes... Just wait longer
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-03-28, 15:54

The fact that we’re, as a society, still comfortable with locking people up for years for selling a little weed after the amount of bitching about being in their own homes for 2 weeks with their families, is mind blowing
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-03-28, 17:10

aualum06 wrote:

All I'm saying is everyone has been saying let's see where were at in two weeks for the last two weeks a d we are no closer to answers

We are no closer to answers? I’d imagine we are closer to a treatment and vaccine. Also “answers” isn’t really the point of social distancing. It’s been at least 2 weeks and you still don’t seem to know what flattening the curve means. Do better.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-03-28, 17:11

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

The fact that we’re, as a society, still comfortable with locking people up for years for selling a little weed after the amount of bitching about being in their own homes for 2 weeks with their families, is mind blowing

Yup. Spoiled white people going to be spoiled white people.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-03-28, 22:36

aualum06 wrote:

If you thought we'd be in the clear in two weeks I don't know what to tell you.

Are you listening to Trump? Stop listening to Trump.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-03-28, 22:38

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

No just thought thered be a better handle on what's going on
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-03-29, 00:30

aualum06 wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I think we have a pretty good handle on what’s going on.... Lots of sick people, lots of dying people. More seeing each other, more sick and dying people.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-03-29, 00:31

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

I think we have a pretty good handle on what’s going on.... Lots of sick people, lots of dying people. More seeing each other, more sick and dying people.

And no end in sight
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-03-29, 00:43

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615375/what-is-herd-immunity-and-can-it-stop-the-coronavirus/

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-03-29, 01:09

Bill saying May? Maybe... If we all lock down guess late April peak but still not safe to head back out

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-03-29, 01:53

I don't know what au is looking at, or if he's looking. It has been absolutely known for two weeks that this period was going to be very ugly and that will continue for the next week or two. 14 days y'all. Do you understand how that works? If you didn't lock your ass down until 3/20 you really could have had it and infected someone who won't exhibit symptoms until 4/4. It's not hard.

And there are medical breakthroughs happening every day if you pay attention.

Chin up. Staying at home watching reruns of The Wire for 4 weeks ain't the worst thing in the world. Keep yourself and your family safe.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-03-29, 07:58

A conservative counter point. AU will like this.

Not that I’m interested but a conservative paper stating reasons to get America back to work based on virus data and some common sense guessing.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2020-03-29, 08:34

DWags wrote:Seems to me we’re all trying to dodge this, which is the right thing to do. But won’t we all eventually get this unless they come up with a vaccine?   I understand the flatten the curve idea. But if all of us don’t eventually get it, how do we become immune?

My oldest who works at a hospital was told that they expect 85%-88% of the population will be exposed BEFORE a vaccine is widely available.  The those in the 88% that don’t die will be developing antibodies like we have or get in flu shots.  

Grim fact is the Federal government, states and major employers will decide what an acceptable fatality count will be after this first wave and hope the remain 12% don’t get sick.

Any way you slice it, until we get a widely available effective vaccine I suspect COVID-19 is going to be like pre-vaccine polio in the 1940’s into the 1950’s until Dr Salk’s version came out in 1955.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-03-29, 08:48

This five minutes test results thingy sounds odd to me. We went from declining WHO test for supposedly giving false negative and positive results, to scrambling to make our own more accurate ones, to hey we got one that’ll give you an answer in the time it’s makes to heat a frozen pizza. Are we sure there’s a competent person running the FDA and not some former exec from McDonald’s?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-03-29, 09:18

DWags wrote:A conservative counter point. AU will like this.

Not that I’m interested but a conservative paper stating reasons to get America back to work based on virus data and some common sense guessing.
After reading that all I can say is - what a fucking idiot. As a society we should not let people with zero critical thinking skills write papers.

OTH a good definition of a conservative is probably: A person with no critical thinking skills who incorrectly assumes they possess them.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-03-29, 09:38

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I don't know what au is looking at, or if he's looking. It has been absolutely known for two weeks that this period was going to be very ugly and that will continue for the next week or two. 14 days y'all. Do you understand how that works? If you didn't lock your ass down until 3/20 you really could have had it and infected someone who won't exhibit symptoms until 4/4. It's not hard.

And there are medical breakthroughs happening every day if you pay attention.

Chin up. Staying at home watching reruns of The Wire for 4 weeks ain't the worst thing in the world. Keep yourself and your family safe.

Not to mention, new confirmed cases is not the same as the virus spreading (new infections). Testing has ramped up a ton, while the ratio of positive to negative tests has remained relatively flat. Certainly there are more actual cases than confirmed cases, but due to social distancing, closures, etc., it is logical that the curve of actual new infections is flatter than the curve of confirmed cases. But there's no way of knowing what that curve has been until/unless everyone gets tested.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-03-29, 10:00

I would like to talk about social distancing in Florida.

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20200328/coronavirus-st-johns-county-closing-beaches-after-criticism-about-large-crowds-saturday

What happens if in 6 weeks we haven’t got this yet?    5TYHV4PC3RCRFFEKHQL2EKCVXI
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-03-29, 10:16

Turtle, I appreciate your obsessive concern about Florida.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-03-29, 10:18

MSU addict wrote:
DWags wrote:A conservative counter point. AU will like this.

After reading that all I can say is - what a fucking idiot. As a society we should not let people with zero critical thinking skills write papers.

OTH a good definition of a conservative is probably: A person with no critical thinking skills who incorrectly assumes they possess them.

I’m all for isolation to zero this out. But where in your opinion is he wrong? On his assumption that it has been here since November?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-03-29, 10:18

MiamiSpartan wrote:Turtle, I appreciate your obsessive concern about Florida.

I appreciate your willingness to be Florida's lone defender in these uncertain times. I admit this should have been posted in the Oh, Florida thread.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-03-29, 11:13

Turtleneck wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Turtle, I appreciate your obsessive concern about Florida.

I appreciate your willingness to be Florida's lone defender in these uncertain times. I admit this should have been posted in the Oh, Florida thread.

Lol, what? So you'd rather not be told that incorrect statements are incorrect?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-03-29, 11:34

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Of course. Are you doing that? You do keep saying "new infections because more testing" as if nobody already knows that, but I seriously do appreciate your desire to have rational and objective conversations (that last part was not sarcasm).
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-03-29, 12:06

Turtleneck wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Of course. Are you doing that? You do keep saying "new infections because more testing" as if nobody already knows that, but I seriously do appreciate your desire to have rational and objective conversations (that last part was not sarcasm).

When I've been "defending" Florida, yes, I was pointing out that incorrect statements are incorrect (such as the tweet in the other thread that claimed that Florida's curve is because the beaches aren't closed statewide). FWIW, I think that the whole state should be on lockdown, but the fact that it isn't is not really affecting the curve...yet (2-3 weeks from now may be a different story).

The idiot factor seems to be alive and well in Jacksonville, though.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-03-29, 14:05

DWags wrote:
MSU addict wrote:
After reading that all I can say is - what a fucking idiot.  As a society we should not let people with zero critical thinking skills write papers.

I’m all for isolation to zero this out. But where in your opinion is he wrong?   On his assumption that it has been here since November?  
Could there have been a case in the US in November - sure it is possible (though unlikely).  That said, his suggestion
… we really had hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of cases, along with several thousand more fatalities prior to testing
well, that's just stupid.  He says the US began testing in March, we did not.  The US began testing in early February.  We did not have hundreds of thousands to millions of misdiagnosed flu cases.  Even if we did not test for COVID 19, we did have millions of readily available flu tests.  Ever been to the hospital for the flu?  My daughter has.  She was tested and we had results is a matter of hours (FWIW, she had the flu).  How did they discover COVID 19?  Because the first cases tested negative for the flu and other known viruses.  That is how this works.  

The suggestion that we are already far along in the "curve" is asinine.  Talk to any medical professional about what it was like last month versus now.  His whole argument is contrary to what we know about how a disease spreads.

His main argument centers on the real death rate.  His numbers are just wrong.  He is using deaths versus confirmed cases.  You cannot do that - as it assumes there will be no more deaths among active cases.  A beyond stupid assumption, especially in light of how long COVID 19 takes to kill a person.

Of course there are undiagnosed cases that will lower the actual death rate (to me this is most evident with the diagnoses by age group).  That said, the basic numbers are - of diagnosed cases, 80% will be mild.  20% will become ill enough to require medical care.  5% of cases will become critical.  Roughly half of those critical cases will die.  Talk to any professional in the filed and they will tell you this is not the flu.  COVID 19 is very nasty and much more deadly.  (FWIW, there are millions of undiagnosed flu cases every year that overstates the death rate for the flu as well).
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-03-29, 17:04

BBC News - Coronavirus: Six months before UK 'returns to normal' - deputy chief medical officer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52084517

Well, here's what the UK is saying.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next