Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Swill Advice Post

5 posters

Go down

Another Swill Advice Post Empty Another Swill Advice Post

Post by Dendrobates Wed 20 May 2020 - 14:27

What would you do?

Warning: Long post

In my current division at work, they have suddenly created 3 brand new job openings. This is something other divisions have had, but not ours as it's rather small. It would be a promotion, and essentially, it's a development/manager in training type of job. They posted 3 of them for country, and you just need to apply to one of them. My main development goal has been to move on up, and into management. The problem is it is highly competitive. Everyone is qualified in their own way. I have been there for 5.5 years, and I am still the youngest person in our division, by about 10 years. Most are not aware of this, but those that know, say for me to be in this type of division is very tough for someone young like me. And I am grateful where I am at, and I think I am paid very well.

A little bit more background: Our division started some preceptorship jobs a few years ago as well. Also, something that was new to our division and a big deal to get some new experience . My manager at the time, talked me out of applying to them. Due to the intense competition, I just had a kid, get settled back into your job, etc. And that my development plan would be to get projects work on things to gain more experience. I took her advice, but I never was given any opportunities for other things. The rest of my teammates where, and I always felt forgotten. At that time, my team were all strong headed women and I could rarely speak up because they took over everything. My manager also said that I needed to try and get my name out more and be in front of upper management. Which I've tried and interviewed for a different job back in Dec.

I know my manager meant well. It's just the environment I'm in, and again, we're all strong type A people. So it was nice when we had a reorganization that took place Jan 1, that meant I had a new team, new manager (someone else I think is great and I know), and it's just a mixed group of people. I can finally speak up at our conferences and be heard in my team.

Back to the new job postings. I know I have no chance of getting this job. There seriously isn't a chance, and I'm sure they already know who they want. That is not the point. It's about giving myself experience interviewing, and throwing my name out there. But after having a talk with my current manager, she kind of said the same things my last manager said, and that surprised me. She said if I didn't apply, she was planning on taking my name up to management, and saying....hey this is something I want, but I know the timing isn't right, and I want to be given projects/opportunities to gain some experience, so keep me in mind. I like that, and again, I know she means well. But I have already been given a few projects to work on just this year alone with her. I'm afraid of being brushed off again, but I completely understand their point as well. My boss of course will support me either way. Should I waste the time to prepare for an interview, for a job I know I won't get? Or just take my boss's advice hope she can deliver on projects and for sure put this on my development plan and go from there?

Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Another Swill Advice Post Empty Re: Another Swill Advice Post

Post by Heat Miser Wed 20 May 2020 - 14:44

Short answer is yes. It shows you have the ambition & desire to move up. Don't be so quick to completely trust your boss either. I'm surprised two different people have discouraged you from interviewing for better positions. There is no downside unless your boss is lying and will hold it against you. Your boss can take your name to upper management regardless of whether you interview or not.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Wed 20 May 2020 - 14:47

I think you should go for it. If you develop a history of not going for it, they will use that as an excuse in the future not to consider you.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 20 May 2020 - 17:08

Heat Miser wrote:Short answer is yes. It shows you have the ambition & desire to move up. Don't be so quick to completely trust your boss either. I'm surprised two different people have discouraged you from interviewing for better positions. There is no downside unless your boss is lying and will hold it against you. Your boss can take your name to upper management regardless of whether you interview or not.

Do what he says. People will raise their eyebrows but fuck them. You’re the one sticking your neck out. Be proud of your accomplishments and know what you’re worth.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed 20 May 2020 - 17:17

Dendrobates wrote:
It's about giving myself experience interviewing, and throwing my name out there.

But after having a talk with my current manager, she kind of said the same things my last manager said, and that surprised me. She said if I didn't apply, she was planning on taking my name up to management, and saying....hey this is something I want, but I know the timing isn't right, and I want to be given projects/opportunities to gain some experience, so keep me in mind.

Say you appreciate the feedback but right now you feel the best way of getting your name up to management putting yourself out there in front of them and getting that interview experience. 
Can add you want to be someone making those decisions so the more practice the better. 
Can also get different feedback from the panel that you might not hear from your boss on work/moving up within the company (I assume the panel would give feedback, perhaps not)
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Thu 21 May 2020 - 16:43

Thanks guys. I’m going to go for it anyway. I just wanted a few other perspectives on this.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down