Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swill handyman advice

+13
aualum06
I.B. Fine
GRR Spartan
Rocinante
Motown Spartan
MiamiSpartan
kingstonlake
Heat Miser
The Pantry
MSU addict
tGreenWay
Nordic
Dendrobates
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Swill handyman advice Empty Swill handyman advice

Post by Dendrobates 09/11/20, 04:31 pm

Nevets and I are not handy whatsoever. I pay for a home warranty, which we have utilized a lot, and come ahead in anything we’ve paid into it. Almost always, so called easy fixes, have not been easy for anyone in our house. Everything was done shitty, and takes the professionals longer than they’d like (with lots of cursing along the way). And of course with every claim, the warranty company picks the contractor. We’ve had the plumbers guys come out for quite a few things in our house. But I was pissed that it took over a month to get my faucets fixed (just fixed last week) because they are busy, and the scheduler fucked up. Now, it appears our disposal is leaking when the water runs. I don’t want to wait so long again if I file a claim, especially since this is a significant leak. I wouldn’t mind using YouTube to figure out easy fixes. But this house is cursed, and extra time is not something either of us have.

Do you think it’s worth us trying to YouTube what to do? Or because we are both fairy incompetent with repairs, we should file a claim to our warranty company?
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Swill handyman advice Empty Re: Swill handyman advice

Post by Nordic 09/11/20, 04:40 pm

Where is it leaking? At the connection to the sink or one of the outlets? If the later, it is a easy fix.

If it is the connection to the sink, get the swear jar ready.It is not complicated. Just a lot of shit to get lined up, tight space and they are heavy (realtively speaking). Definitely do-able, just a pain in the ass.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 09/11/20, 04:48 pm

We’re in a similar situation. Our parents taught us nothing, most likely because they didn’t know themselves. When it was warm, dad taught me about baseball and fishing. When it was cold, it was all about hunting. Every day of the year was about politics.

So yeah, if it’s a small job where there’s limited chance for creating major damage (and major $$$ for repairs), I’ll check out youtube. Everything else, I pick up my phone and call a pro. With a disposal, I’d look at a few videos to go through the steps of minor corrections. If that doesn’t work, I’d call. I’d also make sure I have a couple of buckets to collect the leak.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 09/11/20, 04:52 pm

btw, my wife learned even less from her ‘rents. Her attitude is if something isn’t working, pay someone to replace it with a new one. Thankfully, she hasn’t found my replacement... yet.

Not sorry for taking your line, Pylon & KL. Swill handyman advice 2809484752
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 09/11/20, 05:02 pm

As Nordic said, figuring out where it is leaking is they key.  

Does is leak always or just when the disposal runs?

I have replaced a number of them.  They are not particularly complicated but again as Nordic said, it also depends on how easy it is to get to.

To answer your question the best I can, I would say it is a 5 on a scale of 1-10 (ten being the hardest) in terms of home plumbing repair.  I would add that many are not hooked up correctly, so it would not be bad to have a pro look at it.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 09/11/20, 05:04 pm

Nordic wrote:Where is it leaking? At the connection to the sink or one of the outlets? If the later, it is a easy fix.

If it is the connection to the sink, get the swear jar ready.It is not complicated. Just a lot of shit to get lined up, tight space and they are heavy (realtively speaking). Definitely do-able, just a pain in the ass.

It is leaking directly under it. There’s some Small white looking tab That the water is leaking from under there.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 09/11/20, 05:07 pm

It’s leaking only when the faucet runs. I’m not even turning the disposal on, it’s just with running water. But coming from the black “badger insinkerstor”
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 09/11/20, 05:17 pm

I am not sure what you mean by small white tab.  An insinkerator has a reset button on the bottom but it is usually red.  Can you post a picture?

There is also a smaller pipe leading in that is the drain from the dishwasher but that is near the top.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 09/11/20, 05:19 pm

Pics of leaking area?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 09/11/20, 05:37 pm

I guess it is slowly dripping even when the faucet isn’t running.

But you can make out the drop of water coming from that white thing. I would get under it more, but I’m having back issues at the moment.

Swill handyman advice 5168a510
Swill handyman advice Eaa93610
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 09/11/20, 05:45 pm

Probably time for a new one if it's leaking from there. I'd guess an internal seal has failed. Fairly easy job but they are heavy & awkward to deal with in a small space. Fairly inexpensive as well.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 09/11/20, 05:49 pm

Yeah that seems internal. Usually they leak from the dishwasher connection or the gasket where the insinkerator locks to the sink. If I had to guess the unit itself is leaking. I've replaced a few of them. I'd rate it at 5/10 on the difficulty scale if you're moderately DIY capable. 1 1/2 hour job. If it's under warranty I'd just make a claim.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 09/11/20, 06:00 pm

I've had it go bad leaking from underneath. It does mean it is time for a new one.

Get another insinkerator and you don't need to change the mount to the sink, at least of the mount/seal in the sink is still in good shape.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 09/11/20, 06:07 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:I've had it go bad leaking from underneath. It does mean it is time for a new one.

Get another insinkerator and you don't need to change the mount to the sink, at least of the mount/seal in the sink is still in good shape.

Good advice. The new one should just spin lock in.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 09/11/20, 06:23 pm

It seems to be leaking from somewhere else. You can see a small water streak leading to that white lock-in tab. Can’t tell from where it originates. If those here with experience say it makes sense just to replace it, then there you go.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 09/11/20, 06:24 pm

Your house sucks.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 09/11/20, 06:25 pm

kingstonlake wrote:Yeah that seems internal. Usually they leak from the dishwasher connection or the gasket where the insinkerator locks to the sink. If I had to guess the unit itself is leaking. I've replaced a few of them. I'd rate it at 5/10 on the difficulty scale if you're moderately DIY capable. 1 1/2 hour job. If it's under warranty I'd just make a claim.

A few of them? Sounds like you don’t know what the hell you’re doing. You should call a real plumber.

Dendro, ignore KL’s advice.

Swill handyman advice 2809484752
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 09/11/20, 06:35 pm

My buddy’s house was built by a shady ass contractor. Their cabinets fell off the wall, one of the tubs leaked, and the backyard was a swamp whenever it rained or snow melted. Had to fight with those pieces of shit for over a year to get shit fixed.

People suck.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 09/11/20, 06:38 pm

Motown Spartan wrote:Your house sucks.

Yes it does. Everything is going to hell all at the same time.

I’m looking forward to being in our new house next year.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 09/11/20, 06:40 pm

I think it is the disposal. When I turn it on, it’s just buzzing. Whole thing has gone. I think I will just put in a claim.
One of these days we’ll be able to fix shit ourselves.

Seriously tho, one of our other claims pissed off the plumber so much. It was supposed to be an easy faucet, valves broke, shit inside the shower was done wrong, it was a weird part, etc. took them 4 hours to fix that.
That’s how everything is in this house.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 09/11/20, 06:44 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Yeah that seems internal. Usually they leak from the dishwasher connection or the gasket where the insinkerator locks to the sink. If I had to guess the unit itself is leaking. I've replaced a few of them. I'd rate it at 5/10 on the difficulty scale if you're moderately DIY capable. 1 1/2 hour job. If it's under warranty I'd just make a claim.

A few of them? Sounds like you don’t know what the hell you’re doing. You should call a real plumber.

People like me Greenway! I've done it for my sister, parents, myself, and MIL. I did it for Mrs Greenway as well. It wasn't leaking but she insisted I check her plumbing anyway. Said she was tired of being a DIY'er Swill handyman advice 2809484752
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 09/11/20, 07:13 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

People like me Greenway! I've done it for my sister, parents, myself, and MIL. I did it for Mrs Greenway as well. It wasn't leaking but she insisted I check her plumbing anyway. Said she was tired of being a DIY'er Swill handyman advice 2809484752

Swill handyman advice 502811600
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 09/11/20, 08:07 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I don’t believe this for a minute, except the part about Mrs. GreenWay. The woman is insatiable.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 09/11/20, 08:08 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

I don’t believe this for a minute, except the part about Mrs. GreenWay. The woman is insatiable.

Razz
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 09/11/20, 08:23 pm

[quote="Dendrobates"]I guess it is slowly dripping even when the faucet isn’t running.

But you can make out the drop of water coming from that white thing. I would get under it more, but I’m having back issues at the moment.

Dendrobates wrote:I guess it is slowly dripping even when the faucet isn’t running.

Swill handyman advice Eaa93610
Dendrobates wrote:I think it is the disposal. When I turn it on, it’s just buzzing. Whole thing has gone. I think I will just put in a claim.
One of these days we’ll be able to fix shit ourselves.

Seriously tho, one of our other claims pissed off the plumber so much. It was supposed to be an easy faucet, valves broke, shit inside the shower was done wrong, it was a weird part, etc. took them 4 hours to fix that.
That’s how everything is in this house.
Have had a low end Insinkerator self-destruct with the blades coming off and it becoming useless. Pretty easy to replace...even Nevets could do it. Look at the model tag. You can find a replacement at Lowes with identical drain and dishwasher connections, making the swap-out very easy.

How many months are you into the new home build?

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 09/11/20, 08:54 pm

A few months ago I was convinced my disposal was leaking.

In my case the leak was the the mixing valve of the single handle sink fixture.
If a new sink faucet was recently installed it may not have been installed correctly.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 09/11/20, 09:11 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:A few months ago I was convinced my disposal was leaking.  

If a new sink faucet was recently installed it may not have been installed correctly.  

Good point. Water could be coming from above and accumulating at that point. Double check everything  before tearing out the disposal. All the joints, all the pipes. Water can travel.  

Dry everytime with a towel. Run the water for a couple minutes. If everything is dry but the bottom, the disposal is shot. You live on a well? If so, it is probably internal corrosion.

Last edited by Nordic on 09/11/20, 09:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 09/11/20, 09:13 pm

tGreenWay wrote:btw, my wife learned even less from her ‘rents. Her attitude is if something isn’t working, pay someone to replace it with a new one. Thankfully, she hasn’t found my replacement... yet.

Not sorry for taking your line, Pylon & KL. Swill handyman advice 2809484752
At least that's what she tells you, Mr Gullibleway
Razz
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 09/11/20, 09:21 pm

Nordic wrote:

Good point. Water could be coming from above and accumulating at that point. Double check everything  before tearing out the disposal. All the joints, all the pipes. Water can travel.  

Dry everytime with a towel. Run the water for a couple minutes. If everything is dry but the bottom, the disposal is shot. You live on a well? If so, it is probably internal corrosion.
Bingo
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 09/11/20, 09:26 pm

The Pantry wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:I guess it is slowly dripping even when the faucet isn’t running.

Have had a low end Insinkerator self-destruct with the blades coming off and it becoming useless.  Pretty easy to replace...even Nevets could do it.  Look at the model tag.  You can find a replacement at Lowes with identical drain and dishwasher connections, making the swap-out very easy.

How many months are you into the new home build?

Hmm I can look into that.
The house is around 3 months since they started. They just finished the frame. The builder gave a crazy long time frame (due to shortages of everything, building 10 other houses just on my street and the next, shortage on employees, employees getting covid, etc). He said 14 months until its done. But most likely it should be ready around July (of course it could be sooner if everything went smoothly).

The home warranty plumbers fixed that very faucet last week. I should file a claim in case they did mess something up. But nothing was leaking after that ubtil today.

Nordic wrote:

If everything is dry, the disposal is shot. You live on a well? If so, it is probably internal corrosion.

Now you're getting into way too much having to happen in a POS old plumbing house. Not worth it, when it takes the professionals too damn long to fix stuff
And I have good ol macomb city water. I did prefer our well water growing up
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 09/11/20, 09:28 pm

God damn quote shit all messed up.
I'm just exhausted too. Not worth correcting it.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 09/11/20, 09:33 pm

Put a bucket under it and grab a beer
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates, CORNER BLITZ and Watch Out Pylon! like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 09/11/20, 09:39 pm

Nordic wrote:Put a bucket under it and grab a beer

That's what she said
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 09/11/20, 09:51 pm

Think she got irritated when I said even Nevets could do it?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 10/11/20, 08:22 am

The Pantry wrote:Think she got irritated when I said even Nevets could do it?

No not at all. I know we could learn to do some things. Time figuring the shit out isn’t what either of us have. There are tons of other things that need to be done around the house and yard. So any chance we get to do things is a big deal.

I called for the claim, especially if the plumbers did somehow mess something up when they replaced the faucet.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 10/11/20, 09:07 am

Dendro,

Very serious about checking the faucet and the connections that go from the hot and cold shutoff valves to the newly installed faucet.

Its possible the new faucet has a factory defect and is leaking but more likely the installer didn't tighten the connections from the hoses that go from the shutoff valves to the new faucet.

Good luck
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 10/11/20, 09:30 am

aualum06 wrote:
Nordic wrote:Put a bucket under it and grab a beer

That's what she said

I have nothing constructive to add. Just seems like a good place to post some good Shoresy mom jokes.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 10/11/20, 10:07 am

GRR Spartan wrote:Dendro,

Very serious about checking the faucet and the connections that go from the hot and cold shutoff valves to the newly installed faucet.

Its possible the new faucet has a factory defect and is leaking but more likely the installer didn't tighten the connections from the hoses that go from the shutoff valves to the new faucet.

Good luck
What you are suggesting is possible, but not the likely cause.  If it is the connections it would be steady constant leak.  If it was the valves on the faucet, it normally leaks from the faucet.  What you had happen is pretty rare.

If I am reading her correctly, it leaks like a lot when the water is running from under the disposal.  Yes, it continues to drip after, but would be the residual water working its way through.

The internal seals on a disposal do wear out.  They also can crack internally (I have had this happen when our cleaning lady ran a bunch of ice through the disposal).  Personally, I do not like the insinkerator brand and find the fail much quicker than others.  

Looking at her pictures, it appears to be leaking from inside the unit.  The drip from the tab, also evidence of water at the electrical connection, the screws appear to have seen some water.  I really don't see any evidence of water down the sides of the unit.

Any competent plumber is going to leave with a leak in your scenario.  All humans make mistakes, but it sounds like the plumbers she has had have been good - because they do correct the previous incorrect hooks-ups.  Yes, it pisses them off because they likely get paid a fixed amount from the warranty company.  Essentially they are not getting paid for that extra work.

I am not a plumber, but may father was.  He taught me a lot.  I have flipped about 50 houses and have owned rental properties.  I have done a lot of plumbing repairs. 

What you are suggesting might more likely than Trump winning his legal challenges, but I highly doubt it is the cause.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 10/11/20, 11:14 am

Easy enough to eliminate the faucet by plugging the drain and running the water for a couple of minutes.
No water under the sink, it's not the faucet. Pull the plug and water comes out of the disposal, you know what the problem is
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 10/11/20, 03:51 pm

How's the leak coming

[ig]CHa9osNgq7H[/ig]
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte