Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should the US have compulsory voting?

+8
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
Rocinante
Cameron
Travis of the Cosmos
Floyd Robertson
steveschneider
MiamiSpartan
12 posters

Go down

Should the US have compulsory voting? Empty Should the US have compulsory voting?

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 14 Oct 2020 - 12:04

Interesting article I came across, about how compulsory voting could help to solve the under-representation of youth and minorities in the voting.

I'm not sure if I'm for it, but I'm not sure if I'm against it either.  My initial reaction upon reading the headline was that abstaining from voting is an important right, as well.  But it actually gave a satisfactory answer to that, and that is that we should only require that you return a ballot, not that you vote.

Just thought it was an interesting discussion, however unlikely in the near future, and wanted to see what the esteemed members of tSwill think.  Or in lieu of that, what you guys think.

I think you can register for free to read this, but if you don't want to bother, I copied the full article, if you click on the spoiler:
Click to see full article:

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2020-10-08/america-needs-compulsory-voting
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Should the US have compulsory voting? Empty Re: Should the US have compulsory voting?

Post by steveschneider Wed 14 Oct 2020 - 12:23

I would say yes, but it won't happen. Our democracy is in deep trouble.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Should the US have compulsory voting? Empty Re: Should the US have compulsory voting?

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 14 Oct 2020 - 12:25

That's an interesting notion. I can think of several non-punitive ideas to increase turnout. Try smaller micro precincts within walking distance that will have smaller lines, shifting elections to Saturdays and go from midnight to midnight, doing away with the electoral college so that the popular vote counts or getting more states to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, having better candidates. F it, let's pay people to vote.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 14 Oct 2020 - 12:48

I got an idea to increase turnout among the youth. If you post a selfie of yourself with an I voted sticker and tag the DNC a super pac will be used to fund a click farm in India to give the millennial and Gen z social media user 5000k likes.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 14 Oct 2020 - 12:51

Nah
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 14 Oct 2020 - 13:03

Hard no. I didn't read the article, but I oppose "compulsory" anything, pretty much. We need politicians who enact policies that make these non-voters feel like civic participation is actually worthwhile, not laws which penalize those the system ignores for ignoring the system right back.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 14 Oct 2020 - 13:07

Cameron wrote:Hard no. I didn't read the article, but I oppose "compulsory" anything, pretty much. We need politicians who enact policies that make these non-voters feel like civic participation is actually worthwhile, not laws which penalize those the system ignores for ignoring the system right back.

I think automatic registration and sending every eligible voter a ballot is a good middle ground. Don’t make it “compulsory” but make it as easy as possible. Fraud (deliberate but mostly accidental) is at something like 0.0001% now and even if it went to 0.1% with auto registration and balloting, it would very very rarely be the difference in any election, so there’s no downside that I see.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 14 Oct 2020 - 13:08

I am strongly in favor of auto-registration and sending ballots to everyone.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 14 Oct 2020 - 13:52

Very hard no.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 14 Oct 2020 - 15:34

point of clarification:

does "compulsory" mean "you have to"?

(I'm just a mountain boy with a few college degrees.. thanks).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed 14 Oct 2020 - 16:52

Boaty McBoatface...
Or trump.

Dummies can stay home
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 14 Oct 2020 - 18:06

Rocinante wrote:
Cameron wrote:Hard no. I didn't read the article, but I oppose "compulsory" anything, pretty much. We need politicians who enact policies that make these non-voters feel like civic participation is actually worthwhile, not laws which penalize those the system ignores for ignoring the system right back.

I think automatic registration and sending every eligible voter a ballot is a good middle ground. Don’t make it “compulsory” but make it as easy as possible. Fraud (deliberate but mostly accidental) is at something like 0.0001% now and even if it went to 0.1% with auto registration and balloting, it would very very rarely be the difference in any election, so there’s no downside that I see.

I definitely think universal mail in ballots should be the standard. They could probably figure out a way to keep the voter rolls accurate (i.e., purging dead voters, moved voters, etc., but without purging people that shouldn't be). In this day and age nothing should be hard when it comes to accurate information on who is alive or dead, where they live (barring people who are fully off the grid, etc.). But bureaucracy gonna bureaucracize.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Wed 14 Oct 2020 - 18:51

Compulsory, you mean like the anti-maskers that threatened to kill the Governor because she told them to wear masks. I'd say hell yeah, 99% of the Trumpsters would stay home and not vote if they knew they were required to vote.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Thu 15 Oct 2020 - 6:34

Don’t need compulsory voting but need to make voting convenient.

That means you are required to renew your driver’s license on your 18th birthday (if one was issued sooner) and that renewal includes voter registration.

We would also have mail in ballots available to every registered voter along with bills to prohibit “alternate” ballot collection boxes (see CA)

In person voting would commence the Saturday before the current Tuesday voting time so polling places would be open Sat 7am-8pm; Sunday noon to 6pm; Monday 7am-8m and Tuesday 7am to 8pm.

Election Tuesday would be a Federal Holiday
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 15 Oct 2020 - 15:59

No. I agree with those above who suggested auto-registration and ballots mailed to everyone, but compulsory is more than a bridge too far. True, most of those who don’t vote are simply disinterested, apolitical, or apathetic about the system. But we all know and have probably met those who think “they’re all crooks and liars” and intentionally don’t vote. That, too, is their right, and it’s a form of speech, which is, obvs, protected.

Oh, and make elections a national holiday. That would help, somewhat.
Separately: Let’s finally get to the bottom of why people are having to stand in line for eight fucking hours to cast their ballots (looking at you, Georgia). That’s an obvious move to suppress the vote. Find the money and make voting easy, everywhere.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down