Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else pass out when getting blood drawn?

+17
AvgMSUJoe
Sponge Worthy
Jake from State Farm
Cosmo_Kramer
Chief Sparty
MSULordyoda
Johnny Alpamayo
GirbaudJeans
The Pantry
DWags
Hut1hut2
All Your Base
I.B. Fine
DroppedByADime
Robert J Sakimano
Travis of the Cosmos
InTenSity
21 posters

Go down

Anyone else pass out when getting blood drawn? Empty Anyone else pass out when getting blood drawn?

Post by InTenSity Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 15:25

I've had this problem or issue since HS. First time I remember it happening was during a blood drive in HS, took me about an hour or so to recover. Today I had to get some blood work done and almost passed out. I have no way of controlling this, and only once in the last 20 years did I not get any side effects. I actually didn't even feel the needle go in this time, but when it was pulled out, my stomach will more or less flip on itself. I've had piercings and tatoos and never had this issue, and I'm ok with getting an IV. I'm pretty sure it is 100% mental, but no idea on how to 'fix' it.

I gone?

This was me today... pale
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Anyone else pass out when getting blood drawn? Empty Re: Anyone else pass out when getting blood drawn?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 15:38

I was going to post a picture of a whole bunch of blood here, then I remembered that for all I know you are currently driving outside of my office. You could have passed out, drove through the building and hit me with your car. 

Not worth it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Anyone else pass out when getting blood drawn? Empty Re: Anyone else pass out when getting blood drawn?

Post by InTenSity Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 15:41

Blood doesn't make me pass out. I don't care about that. It is just something that 'clicks' and then my stomach turns and I get very lightheaded. The lady today had taken the needle out and then I turned ghost white and needed help.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 15:48

do you watch the needle?

that used to not bother me - they'd take blood, I'd watch the needle go in, the little vial fill up, etc. Nowadays I don't watch the needle - something about that kinda freaks me out.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 15:55

No needle watching. I turn my head completely the other way, I don't even want to look to see when they put the bandaid on. The last time I gave blood, two of the medic's or nurses, or whoever was in the bus had to pump my hand to get the minimum amount of blood needed.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 15:57

InTenSity wrote:No needle watching. I turn my head completely the other way, I don't even want to look to see when they put the bandaid on. The last time I gave blood, two of the medic's or nurses, or whoever was in the bus had to pump my hand to get the minimum amount of blood needed.
probably due to a major drop in blood pressure.. would explain the light headiness and the relative low flow of blood into the vial.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 16:30

Yep. I have to lie down. It's genetic.

I have a cousin who answered the phone ( true story). And when they said " this is the Red Cross calling" .... Passed out.

DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 17:51

InTenSity wrote:I've had this problem or issue since HS. First time I remember it happening was during a blood drive in HS, took me about an hour or so to recover. Today I had to get some blood work done and almost passed out. I have no way of controlling this, and only once in the last 20 years did I not get any side effects. I actually didn't even feel the needle go in this time, but when it was pulled out, my stomach will more or less flip on itself. I've had piercings and tatoos and never had this issue, and I'm ok with getting an IV. I'm pretty sure it is 100% mental, but no idea on how to 'fix' it.

I gone?

How much are they taking? blood pressure must be pretty low to start with....and you're correct, you are 100% mental
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by All Your Base Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 18:11

It could be a blood sugar drop. Try eating something a little sugary or fruit afterwards.
All Your Base
All Your Base
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Hut1hut2 Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 18:15

InTenSity wrote:I've had this problem or issue since HS. First time I remember it happening was during a blood drive in HS, took me about an hour or so to recover. Today I had to get some blood work done and almost passed out. I have no way of controlling this, and only once in the last 20 years did I not get any side effects. I actually didn't even feel the needle go in this time, but when it was pulled out, my stomach will more or less flip on itself. I've had piercings and tatoos and never had this issue, and I'm ok with getting an IV. I'm pretty sure it is 100% mental, but no idea on how to 'fix' it.
No, but I am not a pussy.
I gone?

Hut1hut2
Hut1hut2
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 19:35

One time the nurse passed out on me. I mean right on me. Face plant on the lap. Turns out she was pregnant. Hadn't eaten or something. ****, I was a bit off put by the whole thing. Got the rubber band around my arm, started looking for the vein, got the needle next to it, and fell over. You know, I think the doctor used the same fucking needle that was on the floor when she picked it up and we set the nurse down. Now that I think back on it, I didn't see any changing of the thing. WTF??? Now I'm pissed.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 19:41

DWags wrote:One time the nurse passed out on me.  I mean right on me.   Face plant on the lap.   Turns out she was pregnant.   Hadn't eaten or something.   ****, I was a bit off put by the whole thing.  Got the rubber band around my arm, started looking for the vein, got the needle next to it, and fell over.  You know, I think the doctor used the same fucking needle that was on the floor when she picked it up and we set the nurse down.  Now that I think back on it, I didn't see any changing of the thing.   WTF??? Now I'm  pissed.  
She hot?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 19:48

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
She hot?

Nope, not in the least bit. Not even a butter face. Nothing.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 19:56

I watch the needle to make sure she doesn't accidentally put it in my wang
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GirbaudJeans Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 21:27

Strange thing happened to me when my second daughter was born. 2 months ago. I can handle blood, I watched my wife's C section the entire time and video taped it. Baby was born and we were in the nursery. They put an IV in my daughter and were drawing her blood, the nurse looked at me and asked me if I was OK and I realized I was sweating and about to drop. She sat me down and brought me juice but man was it weird. I never went out but was close.
GirbaudJeans
GirbaudJeans
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnny Alpamayo Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 1:23

A couple years ago I passed out at my desk at work about ten minutes after giving blood. How embarrassing. It was my first time giving blood, and no one told me to drink juice and sugar snacks - I just walked off the bus and went back to work. Never donating blood again after that incident.

I also almost passed out after seeing my kid go through a procedure at the hospital, too.
Johnny Alpamayo
Johnny Alpamayo
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSULordyoda Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 8:08

I absolutely hate needles so I always get nauseous when I'm having blood drawn. My worst incident was after I had to fast for the blood draw. I got all clammy, my face turned white, and I started sweating profusely. Freaked out the little old nurse who drew the blood. They wound up getting a doctor in there to check me out. After about 20 minutes, 2 glasses of juice, and a few cookies, I was finally alright. Worst part was, I had my 4 year old with me.
MSULordyoda
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 8:18

MSULordyoda wrote:I absolutely hate needles so I always get nauseous when I'm having blood drawn.  My worst incident was after I had to fast for the blood draw.  I got all clammy, my face turned white, and I started sweating profusely.  Freaked out the little old nurse who drew the blood.  They wound up getting a doctor in there to check me out.  After about 20 minutes, 2 glasses of juice, and a few cookies, I was finally alright.  Worst part was, I had my 4 year old with me.
I don't hate needles, but this is more or less what happens to me. What annoys me about having my blood drawn, is that I'll tell the nurse to please get a cup of water and a cold towel ready. Every single one of them assures me that they are wonderful at their jobs and I will be fine. A couple of minutes later they are looking for a wet towel and bringing me water. Yesterday I brought my own water, but forgot the towel. Only one time lately did I not feel nauseous, and that was at the Dr. office, they had me laying down already and after the shot, had me drink a redbull and eat a snickers.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSULordyoda Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 8:22

InTenSity wrote:
I don't hate needles, but this is more or less what happens to me. What annoys me about having my blood drawn, is that I'll tell the nurse to please get a cup of water and a cold towel ready. Every single one of them assures me that they are wonderful at their jobs and I will be fine. A couple of minutes later they are looking for a wet towel and bringing me water. Yesterday I brought my own water, but forgot the towel. Only one time lately did I not feel nauseous, and that was at the Dr. office, they had me laying down already and after the shot, had me drink a redbull and eat a snickers.

Yea, I walk in and just tell them that I need to be in a reclined position and to have some juice or something ready. Makes things a hell of a lot simpler.
MSULordyoda
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Chief Sparty Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 9:30

InTenSity wrote:Blood doesn't make me pass out. I don't care about that. It is just something that 'clicks' and then my stomach turns and I get very lightheaded. The lady today had taken the needle out and then I turned ghost white and needed help.

I get the exact same feeling. I've found that if I lie down and have some juice before and after it pretty much eliminates the problem. Still won't be giving blood anytime soon. Make sure you're well hydrated and have eaten before you go get bloodwork done.
Chief Sparty
Chief Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 10:54

Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 10:58

I passed out getting an IV once, scared the crap out of the nurse because I was sitting up at the time and damn near fell off the bed.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponge Worthy Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 13:54

I used to be able to pass out by just hearing stories of needles etc..then I talked myself into going to give blood about 18 years ago and powered through it.

I do pinch myself under my knee real hard when it's time for the stick. It helps distract me  Razz 

Also, if you can do it regularly, giving blood is a really really healthy thing to do. Trust me on the sunscreen.

Sponge Worthy
Sponge Worthy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 13:56

Sponge Worthy wrote:I used to be able to pass out by just hearing stories of needles etc..then I talked myself into going to give blood about 18 years ago and powered through it.

I do pinch myself under my knee real hard when it's time for the stick. It helps distract me  Razz 

Also, if you can do it regularly, giving blood is a really really healthy thing to do. Trust me on the sunscreen.

What about the sunscreen?!?! How can I trust you if I don't know what it does?!?!
 Anyone else pass out when getting blood drawn? 1550444538
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 14:18

You guys are like delicate flowers.

Precious and whatnot.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 14:59

Way back in a jr. high science class there was a guy, probably 6'4"/230lbs., who automatically fainted at the first sight of blood. Didn't matter if it was in person or something we were watching in class, he'd just drop right there with no warning.
One day I cut my finger--really bad. I was holding it in my other hand, cupping it so the blood wouldn't go everywhere. I made the mistake of walking past this poor guy. He took one look and his legs just stopped working and down he went, falling to the floor like a boneless chicken. I was so surprised that I flinched back, and blood went everywhere, including on the other guy.

CSB.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponge Worthy Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 15:27

I was sitting in my Soc. 201 class at MSU with 300 other people in Holden in 1989 when we were watching a film on battery. When a beaten baby scene came on, I went into a seizure and flopped over the back side of my chair, into the aisle behind our row..sort of like a boneless chicken flop but with an upward toss first.

I had to go to the clinic and got an EEG and shit tied to me for a day or two. I barely missed an A on the final and had missed out on a rather important detail shown in that film later on. The Prof said "well shoot, you should have said something, I could have fixed your grade, I remember you doing that"

Neutral 
Sponge Worthy
Sponge Worthy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 15:58

Sponge Worthy wrote:I was sitting in my Soc. 201 class at MSU with 300 other people in Holden in 1989 when we were watching a film on battery. When a beaten baby scene came on, I went into a seizure and flopped over the back side of my chair, into the aisle behind our row..sort of like a boneless chicken flop but with an upward toss first.

I had to go to the clinic and got an EEG and shit tied to me for a day or two. I barely missed an A on the final and had missed out on a rather important detail shown in that film later on. The Prof said "well shoot, you should have said something, I could have fixed your grade, I remember you doing that"

Neutral 

Aw hell, if I'd known that seizures could've gotten me sympathy grades, I'd've been flopping all over campus. Anyone else pass out when getting blood drawn? 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponge Worthy Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 17:07

InTenSity wrote:
What about the sunscreen?!?! How can I trust you if I don't know what it does?!?!
 Anyone else pass out when getting blood drawn? 1550444538

It's all about getting the iron and the free radicals out of your bloodstream..Think of it as changing your oil.

cheers 
Sponge Worthy
Sponge Worthy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ten Referee Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 18:17

I made a 12 year old kid pass out and piss all over himself while I had a needle in his arm. He came to and started laughing when he found out that he pissed all over his clothes and the floor.
Big Ten Referee
Big Ten Referee
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 19:27

The only time I ever passed out after was after having blood drawn was in Detroit for my military physical.  

It was a typical cattle call with groups of 40 going from one station to the next.  We had a few pass out when they drew the blood.  

I was doing okay until they handed the 3 vacuum tubes filled with my blood back to me.  We sat down in rows of chairs and the longer I held those warm tubes the queazier I got.  Put my head between my knees thinking I was going to puke and the next thing I feel is my forehead hitting the deck.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 20:03

GRR Spartan wrote:The only time I ever passed out after was after having blood drawn was in Detroit for my military physical.  

It was a typical cattle call with groups of 40 going from one station to the next.  We had a few pass out when they drew the blood.  

I was doing okay until they handed the 3 vacuum tubes filled with my blood back to me.  We sat down in rows of chairs and the longer I held those warm tubes the queazier I got.  Put my head between my knees thinking I was going to puke and the next thing I feel is my forehead hitting the deck.
Pussy  Anyone else pass out when getting blood drawn? 502811600 
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 20:11

GRR Spartan wrote:The only time I ever passed out after was after having blood drawn was in Detroit for my military physical.  

Dude, if you would have just said you were gay back then, you could have gotten out of Nam. you didn't need that elaborate ruse.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down