Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MSU possibly going to pass/no pass for semester.

+5
aualum06
CORNER BLITZ
Floyd Robertson
Jake from State Farm
DWags
9 posters

Go down

MSU possibly going to pass/no pass for semester.  Empty MSU possibly going to pass/no pass for semester.

Post by DWags 2020-03-25, 18:11

Wow. The kid has been pretty buried in her studies and lectures since March 11.

I don’t think this will put her in coast mode but I cant lie, it would put me in the lane where I just do enough.

https://statenews.com/article/2020/03/msu-in-talks-to-grade-spring-2020-classes-as-passfail?ct=content_open&cv=cbox_latest&fbclid=IwAR2kOPosRdIACAPFcefpzI3c3waenqK3ZIMQKMc3yBc2W0eg3BNmDtDffu8
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

MSU possibly going to pass/no pass for semester.  Empty Re: MSU possibly going to pass/no pass for semester.

Post by Jake from State Farm 2020-03-25, 18:32

Wasn't that the downfall of the football team?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

MSU possibly going to pass/no pass for semester.  Empty Re: MSU possibly going to pass/no pass for semester.

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-03-25, 18:35

They should give students a choice for each class. Take the P/F or retake the class at no charge.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-03-25, 18:39

Floyd Robertson wrote:They should give students a choice for each class. Take the P/F or retake the class at no charge.

I don't dislike that idea, but what do you do with the students that were supposed to go into that class next semester (to stay on track to graduate) but now it's full from retakes?
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-03-25, 18:43

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:They should give students a choice for each class. Take the P/F or retake the class at no charge.

I don't dislike that idea, but what do you do with the students that were supposed to go into that class next semester (to stay on track to graduate) but now it's full from retakes?

lol that's why I don't work in education, because I didn't think that part through.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-03-25, 21:29

CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Have more sections. Yeah I know logistically that doesnt work either
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-25, 21:34

I'm ignorant to what this even mean. How does that factor into grade point averages?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-03-25, 22:28

Nordic wrote:I'm ignorant to what this even mean. How does that factor into grade point averages?

When a class is taken pass/fail at most institutions, it does not factor into a student's GPA. A student earns the credits, but it is not a component of their GPA.

MSU will not be the only school looking at this. The move to distance learning has been a problem for many college students across the county. My guess is that GPAs are frozen and students who pass earn the credits, but maybe there is a way to integrate pass/fail into a GPA.

None of this is ideal by any means, but it will work out for the students in the end.

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2020-03-25, 23:43; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2020-03-25, 22:59

Turtleneck wrote:
Nordic wrote:I'm ignorant to what this even mean. How does that factor into grade point averages?

When a class is taken pass/fail at most institutions, it does not factor into a student's GPA. A student earns the credits, but it is not a component of the GPA.

MSU will not be the only school looking at this. The move to distance learning has been a problem for many college students across the county. My guess is that GPAs are frozen and students who pass earn the credits, but maybe there is a way to integrate pass/fail into a GPA.

None of this is ideal by any means, but it will work out for the students in the end.

And here I’m taking the class I’m most interested in this semester. An easy A May have just slipped through my fingers.
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-03-26, 16:14

MSU just sent out something relative to a decision.

I didn't read it.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-03-26, 16:15

Robert J Sakimano wrote:MSU just sent out something relative to a decision.

I didn't read it.

I think they get to choose which classes are pass/fail.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-03-26, 16:53

DWags wrote:

I didn't read it.

That makes the most sense.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-03-26, 16:57

DWags wrote:

I didn't read it.

2 weeks to review grades at the end of the semester and pick it you want GPA or pass/fail.... Pass is above 1.0
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down