Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did you call in to any radio shows back in the day?

+8
MiamiSpartan
Cameron
Floyd Robertson
aualum06
Turtleneck
Motown Spartan
DWags
Rocinante
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Did you call in to any radio shows back in the day? Empty Did you call in to any radio shows back in the day?

Post by Rocinante 2020-12-21, 12:33

I was thinking about Lansing sports radio and how easy it was to get on the air and how much of a rush it was when you’d get on. I used to call in to Mike Valenti and Mad Dog and other a lot. My friend once dropped an F bomb on Jack Ebling it was hilarious.

But in a bigger sense, I remember when I was a angsty teenager and I called Dr. Drew (he was pretty normal back in the day) and other radio shows and would get through but I don’t think I ever got on the air. Did you ever have any radio show call in adventures? Were you a host and had any memorable callers?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Did you call in to any radio shows back in the day? Empty Re: Did you call in to any radio shows back in the day?

Post by DWags 2020-12-21, 12:37

Back in the day you could call into Larry Kings tv show. We would sit around in our college ghetto house and try to call in with stupid questions. I got in twice. Once to Jerry Falwell once to Alexander Haig.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Did you call in to any radio shows back in the day? Empty Re: Did you call in to any radio shows back in the day?

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-12-21, 12:40

Fucking steve...
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-12-21, 12:48

DWags wrote:Back in the day you could call into Larry Kings tv show. We would sit around in our college ghetto house and try to call in with stupid questions. I got in twice. Once to Jerry Falwell once to Alexander Haig.

Do you remember what you asked them?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-12-21, 12:50

DWags wrote:Back in the day you could call into Larry Kings tv show. We would sit around in our college ghetto house and try to call in with stupid questions. I got in twice. Once to Jerry Falwell once to Alexander Haig.

Do you have any more stories from your totally crazy college days?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-12-21, 12:53

Yes or no?
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-12-21, 12:56

I have a good friend that is good friends with Gregg Henson, before social media and Henson became a total douche.

Anywho...I used to call in to the Jaime and Gregg show on WDFN and would get on the air. Misty stupid shit and never to talk about sports.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-12-21, 13:00

Back in '72 when I was 12, sleeping over at my buddy's we were listening to WDRQ after 2am and decided to call in. I have no recollection of what we said. The DJ was Steve Dahl, who exploded onto the scene a few years later.

I called into Stony and Wojo in the mid 90s during the Red Wings playoff run to make some (asinine, I'm sure) comment.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-12-21, 13:01

Turtleneck wrote:

I stole a final exam three hours before two of my friends and I had to take it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-12-21, 13:06

No, what kind of freak actually calls in to a radio show?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-12-21, 13:07

Rocinante wrote:

Do you remember what you asked them?

Jerry Falwell had just hired the same Lawyer who defended flynt in his hustler magazine suit against the government. He had said some disparaging things against the guys law firm. I asked if he felt he was a hypocrite. Haig I asked about putting America in Chaos by declaring he was in charge of the government when Reagan got shot.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-12-21, 13:09

Damn Wags. You used to be smart.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-12-21, 13:16

Rocinante wrote:Damn Wags. You used to be smart.

Did you call in to any radio shows back in the day? 502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-12-21, 13:37

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I am actually not amused by that.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-12-21, 13:39

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

Hush up, Dean Wormer.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-12-21, 13:47

I once called in to a national sports talk show that was carried in the Lansing market back in about 94.

I would also call in to this show on Impact 89 or whatever it was called because I knew this girl that would DJ there.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-12-21, 14:14

I DJed on Impact. The kid that ran the station my second year was a fucking Nazi about sticking to the playlist. He’s probably gainfully employed in corporate media now. He was a perfect drone. I never followed the playlist and he would actually call in to my show and tell me to get back on the playlist. I quit when he took over as manager.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-12-21, 15:41

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

That’s not what I was going for at the time I did it. If I recall I had it in my back pack pretty much running to shaw hall feeling like I had just robbed a bank. I can give you the convoluted story of how it was done quite by accident and on the spur of the moment as it literally had just fallen into my hands. No pre planning. No for thought just “luck” I guess. But it’s really not too interesting.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-12-21, 16:08

Rocinante wrote:I DJed on Impact. The kid that ran the station my second year was a fucking Nazi about sticking to the playlist. He’s probably gainfully employed in corporate media now. He was a perfect drone. I never followed the playlist and he would actually call in to my show and tell me to get back on the playlist. I quit when he took over as manager.

It his defense, you only played Springsteen and REM.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-12-21, 16:25

Rocinante wrote:I DJed on Impact. The kid that ran the station my second year was a fucking Nazi about sticking to the playlist. He’s probably gainfully employed in corporate media now. He was a perfect drone. I never followed the playlist and he would actually call in to my show and tell me to get back on the playlist. I quit when he took over as manager.

What years? I listened to Impact more than anything else back then.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-12-21, 16:27

And speaking of Impact radio. I’m so old I remember when the station signed on with the tag line:
“Leading you into the 90s, Impact Radio, 89FM.”
Did you call in to any radio shows back in the day? 502811600 Did you call in to any radio shows back in the day? 1811933421
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2020-12-21, 16:28

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

That’s not what I was going for at the time I did it. If I recall I had it in my back pack pretty much running to shaw hall feeling like I had just robbed a bank. I can give you the convoluted story of how it was done quite by accident and on the spur of the moment as it literally had just fallen into my hands. No pre planning. No for thought just “luck” I guess. But it’s really not too interesting.

And then you stole a bar. Habitual.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-12-21, 16:35

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:

And then you stole a bar. Habitual.

Really is a slippery slope.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-12-21, 16:45

tGreenWay wrote:And speaking of Impact radio. I’m so old I remember when the station signed on with the tag line:
Did you call in to any radio shows back in the day? 502811600 Did you call in to any radio shows back in the day? 1811933421

Our were “we have an image to protect” and I think “keeping you informed.” (Yawn). It would have been 2000 and 2001.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-12-21, 17:10

Rocinante wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:And speaking of Impact radio. I’m so old I remember when the station signed on with the tag line:

Our were “we have an image to protect” and I think “keeping you informed.” (Yawn). It would have been 2000 and 2001.

Right when I probably wouldn’t have heard you, since I was working crazy hours back then.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-12-21, 18:54

Ok, old Impact guys.... Local band, don't remember the name but they played it on impact....
Lyric:
"I'd really like to love you now, but I can't."

Trigger anything? I seem to recall digging that tune.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-12-21, 19:02

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Ok, old Impact guys.... Local band, don't remember the name but they played it on impact....
Lyric:

Botfly? Or The Verve Pipe?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-12-21, 19:23

steveschneider wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Ok, old Impact guys.... Local band, don't remember the name but they played it on impact....
Lyric:

Are you just typing out names of local bands you remember?
Fucking Steve.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-12-21, 19:28

steveschneider wrote:
Lyric:

I wonder what Grif from Botfly is up to these days.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-12-21, 19:31

Motown Spartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

He was a cool fucking dude. I can't say what he's doing these days but I hope he's making music.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-12-21, 19:35

Not botfly or verve pipe... A little earlier.

The something somethings... Ug...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-12-21, 19:36

Maybe it was Calliope or The Masons. Or was it Wally Pleasant.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-12-21, 19:36

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Not botfly or verve pipe... A little earlier.

The something somethings... Ug...

The Universal Indians lol
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-12-21, 19:41

steveschneider wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

He was a cool fucking dude. I can't say what he's doing these days but I hope he's making music.

He is/was a phenomenal harmonica player.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-12-21, 19:42

The way outs? Sound familiar to anyone?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-12-21, 19:43

Wally was a dude. He hung with my roommate occasionally.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-12-21, 19:45

steveschneider wrote:Or was it Wally Pleasant.

Shoot someone and tell everyone you’re from Detroit!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-12-21, 19:48

AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-12-21, 19:49

Not quite as cool as I remember... Kids... Amiright?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-12-21, 19:52

AvgMSUJoe wrote:The way outs? Sound familiar to anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pytRoCcdazc

I feel like I saw them at a house party and at the time I didn't know who they were but going off their sound I bet it was them. They did a cover of Blister in the Sun and the place went crazy. God I miss those days. Drinking keg beer, getting wasted and hanging out in packed houses full of great people.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next