Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial 2021/2022 MSU Basketball Thread

+18
InTenSity
Turtleneck
Trapper Gus
Pervis Muldoon
steveschneider
MiamiSpartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
Death Roe
Rick Saunders
Motown Spartan
NigelUno
AvgMSUJoe
Nordic
Floyd Robertson
DWags
tGreenWay
gomersbro
aualum06
22 posters

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

tOfficial 2021/2022 MSU Basketball Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: tOfficial 2021/2022 MSU Basketball Thread

Post by Turtleneck Tue May 24, 2022 10:34 pm

I don't envy the internal conflict Steve will feel on this day.

Michigan State will face Kentucky in the 2022 Champions Classic on Nov. 15
https://www.theonlycolors.com/2022/5/24/23139915/michigan-state-spartans-will-face-kentucky-wildcats-in-the-2022-champions-classic-on-nov-15
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

tOfficial 2021/2022 MSU Basketball Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: tOfficial 2021/2022 MSU Basketball Thread

Post by Death Roe Wed May 25, 2022 9:17 pm

I have a scalding hot take...

This is going to be Izzo's last season.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Motown Spartan and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed May 25, 2022 9:55 pm

Death Roe wrote:I have a scalding hot take...

I agree. This year or next.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed May 25, 2022 11:15 pm

Death Roe wrote:I have a scalding hot take...

I’d hoped he’d stay until 30 years, but coach seems fed up with all the changes in the game.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Wed May 25, 2022 11:52 pm

I think Izzo has plenty left in the tank and will stay for several more years. No matter what changes are made, he's always asking what's best for the players. That seems to be his biggest concern. And as long as he thinks that he has something to offer the players, he'll probably still be coaching.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu May 26, 2022 12:26 am

I think his last year will be sometime in the future.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

GRR Spartan and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu May 26, 2022 8:02 am

Pervis Muldoon wrote:I think Izzo has plenty left in the tank and will stay for several more years. No matter what changes are made, he's always asking what's best for the players. That seems to be his biggest concern. And as long as he thinks that he has something to offer the players, he'll probably still be coaching.

He loves coaching and competing.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu May 26, 2022 8:16 am

NigelUno wrote:
Pervis Muldoon wrote:I think Izzo has plenty left in the tank and will stay for several more years. No matter what changes are made, he's always asking what's best for the players. That seems to be his biggest concern. And as long as he thinks that he has something to offer the players, he'll probably still be coaching.

Yep. Too bad he has to deal with all of the other bullshit before he can actually coach. 2 more years, max.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu May 26, 2022 8:31 am

duffy munn wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Yep. Too bad he has to deal with all of the other bullshit before he can actually coach. 2 more years, max.

Seems to me that "all the other bullshit" has always been a big part of the job, and he loves it. His non-stop recruiting used to be remarked upon every year. He doesn't like where NIL and the portal are taking the "kids" so there is that.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu May 26, 2022 8:48 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Seems to me that "all the other bullshit" has always been a big part of the job, and he loves it. His non-stop recruiting used to be remarked upon every year. He doesn't like where NIL and the portal are taking the "kids" so there is that.

The landscape has changed dramatically. Coaches now have to recruit their own players. And hope boosters come up with good NIL deals.

I think Izzo loves coaching most. Now it's about the third thing he has to worry about.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu May 26, 2022 8:54 am

duffy munn wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I don't see him quitting because it gets tough (or tougher). That goes against his whole ethos.

But, if high school players start getting $1 million NIL deals (and free agency with $ inducements becomes more commonplace), that might be the straw....
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu May 26, 2022 8:55 am

duffy munn wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

The landscape has changed dramatically. Coaches now have to recruit their own players. And hope boosters come up with good NIL deals.

I think Izzo loves coaching most. Now it's about the third thing he has to worry about.

Has he found a new assistant coach, yet?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu May 26, 2022 9:08 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I would guess so. Probably have to go through with the formality of posting the job and waiting.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu May 26, 2022 9:12 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Izzo said the other day that the new coach will be named by this weekend. He said it was down to 3 guys in the "Spartan family". My guess is Maurice Joseph will get the job but will not be the top assistant/associate head coach. Wojik or Monty will be moved up. The deck chairs on the titanic crowd will be out in full force.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu May 26, 2022 9:28 am

duffy munn wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Izzo said the other day that the new coach will be named by this weekend. He said it was down to 3 guys in the "Spartan family". My guess is Maurice Joseph will get the job but will not be the top assistant/associate head coach. Wojik or Monty will be moved up. The deck chairs on the titanic crowd will be out in full force.

All 3 long time "official" assistants (Fife, Garland, and Stephens) are now no longer in those roles. Maybe Sheed is available.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu May 26, 2022 9:48 am

Keeping it in the family = Michigan man?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu May 26, 2022 11:10 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Keeping it in the family = Michigan man?

It's his cousin Bill from Kingsford. #UPPower #FlivversMafia
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Thu May 26, 2022 11:41 am

It seems like we have a really nice pro active booster base. Willing to go to extraordinary lengths to be big time. Seems like Izzo would love that?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu May 26, 2022 2:49 pm

Not there yet, but it’s something of which to be mindful.
It also was just TI commenting about this hire, unlike some full-throated declaration from an overrated, gasbag, arrogant ass from down the road.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

duffy munn and GRR Spartan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu May 26, 2022 3:39 pm

Sleep
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Thu May 26, 2022 6:22 pm

If he won't adapt to the new landscape, step aside and let a younger Spartan lead this team.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes out like Roy and Jay did. He's way too humble to leave like Coach K did.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu May 26, 2022 7:11 pm

Death Roe wrote:

If he won't adapt to the new landscape, step aside and let a younger Spartan lead this team.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes out like Roy and Jay did. He's way too humble to leave like Coach K did.

The WOTS, from Izzo a few weeks ago, is that he wanted someone who would be active in recruiting the portal and dealing with NIL issues. Of course he may have changed his mind.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu May 26, 2022 8:21 pm

kingstonlake wrote:It seems like we have a really nice pro active booster base. Willing to go to extraordinary lengths to be big time. Seems like Izzo would love that?

Fine. I'll take the job.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue May 31, 2022 8:46 am

Death Roe wrote:

He added Tyson Walker just last year, unless you're referring to going all Texas A&M and buying players.

No one wants to win more than him. I think we might be underestimating his current group of players. No doubt some of them are going to have to step up.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Tue May 31, 2022 10:22 am

Death Roe wrote:

Do you really not think Izzo adapts, or is that just a generic thing to say about an old coach? I used to see complaints about his "20-year-old sets" on the RCMB, and then there'd be a quote from a young coach like Chris Collins about how Izzo's teams are the most difficult to prepare for. I'd see complaints about how he yells too much, then watch him nurture Joey Hauser through a bad slump to becoming a knockdown shooter.

Izzo doesn't just know what it takes to win; he knows what it takes to win at MSU. He's built and maintained elite status without being a blue blood. That's not an easy achievement, and is not likely to be replicated by his successor. I want to keep him as long as he wants to coach.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

MiamiSpartan, tGreenWay, duffy munn, DWags and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue May 31, 2022 10:51 am

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
Death Roe wrote:

Do you really not think Izzo adapts, or is that just a generic thing to say about an old coach? I used to see complaints about his "20-year-old sets" on the RCMB, and then there'd be a quote from a young coach like Chris Collins about how Izzo's teams are the most difficult to prepare for. I'd see complaints about how he yells too much, then watch him nurture Joey Hauser through a bad slump to becoming a knockdown shooter.

Izzo doesn't just know what it takes to win; he knows what it takes to win at MSU. He's built and maintained elite status without being a blue blood. That's not an easy achievement, and is not likely to be replicated by his successor. I want to keep him as long as he wants to coach.

Quite the meltdown going on over there right now. Including my favorite moronic takes that Izzo isn't trying and doesn't care.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue May 31, 2022 10:56 am

duffy munn wrote:
Pervis Muldoon wrote:

Quite the meltdown going on over there right now. Including my favorite moronic takes that Izzo isn't trying and doesn't care.

I hate how Izzo doesn't care. Like taking half his money and donating it to a new football building. Some nerve.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay, duffy munn, Pervis Muldoon and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue May 31, 2022 11:17 am

duffy munn wrote:
Pervis Muldoon wrote:

Not sure I can let that injustice stand.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue May 31, 2022 12:37 pm

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
Death Roe wrote:

This is gold. But try to go say it on the other board, hell that one mod might even Ban you
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue May 31, 2022 7:40 pm

Them muthafuckers need an attitude adjustment? Don't make me reset my password....
dumb fucking children.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:24 pm

i hope izzo is able to turn it around.
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:44 pm

I hope he is at his post on April 21st.

[tw]1532753596462268416?s=20&t=g32jI5yaHax6zljOGtf5tw[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:53 pm

Turtleneck wrote:I hope he is at his post on April 21st.

Out
Fife
Garland*
Stephens

In
Wojcik
Montgomery
Kelley

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:24 pm

On???
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:48 pm

exciting news.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:15 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:exciting news.

Tum Tum was a finalist if that makes you feel any better OTPT
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:16 pm

NigelUno wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:I hope he is at his post on April 21st.

Out
Fife
Garland*
Stephens

In
Wojcik
Montgomery
Kelley

So does Wojik or Monty get first chair?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:01 pm

I hated Kelly as a player. But his side piece was my sister's buddy.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:28 pm

duffy munn wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:exciting news.

Sounds like Tom went into the search unbiased and found the best qualified candidate.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:02 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Sounds like Tom went into the search unbiased and found the best qualified candidate.

I'm sure he talked to a number of guys with no connection to the program. As for TK, he's more than qualified to sit in the 3rd chair. Unless of course you had a better candidate picked out.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next