Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are we supposed to be upset about Afghanistan?

+13
TrapperGus
DWags
Jake from State Farm
MiamiSpartan
Floyd Robertson
Turtleneck
GRR Spartan
steveschneider
Robert J Sakimano
Travis of the Cosmos
Cameron
kingstonlake
Rocinante
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Are we supposed to be upset about Afghanistan? Empty Are we supposed to be upset about Afghanistan?

Post by Rocinante 2021-08-15, 09:02

This was inevitable.

You can’t force freedom.

The taliban has all the weapons we left for the Afghans. But if they stay in Afghanistan, well… [shrug]

Once we bombed Al-Qaeda out we should have left. I said it 20 years ago when I was with my first wife and my children didn’t exist, and my mind had never changed.

Have I at times been hopeful that it would take? Sure. Did I ever really believe it would? No.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Are we supposed to be upset about Afghanistan? Empty Re: Are we supposed to be upset about Afghanistan?

Post by kingstonlake 2021-08-15, 13:24

Sure seems like it's the perfect example of a no win situation. Probably take multiple generations of involvement to even think about any type of functional democracy.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Are we supposed to be upset about Afghanistan? Empty Re: Are we supposed to be upset about Afghanistan?

Post by Cameron 2021-08-15, 14:33

The Afghan government we apparently desire is evidently so inept that they cannot survive without permanent occupation, which I don't think anyone not profiting from the military industrial complex has any appetite for.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-08-15, 15:52

The only thing to be upset about is that it seems pretty stupid that we didn’t evacuate various personnel, Afghan interpreters, etc that we’re now in a mad dash to make sure they don’t get executed, before the military left. Since everyone knew it would go down this way why were all of those people still there?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

I.B. Fine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-08-15, 19:12

I'm sure the mainstream media is having a field day.

My opinion is that we can't police the world. We could've likely had a more gradual withdrawal with orchestrated systems in place but, at some point, countries need to take initiative and govern themselves.

But, yeah, without knowing, I suspect the right wing "America first" patriots and mainstream media are suddenly concerned about Afghanistan and its citizens.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-15, 20:25

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm sure the mainstream media is having a field day.

My opinion is that we can't police the world. We could've likely had a more gradual withdrawal with orchestrated systems in place but, at some point, countries need to take initiative and govern themselves.

But, yeah, without knowing, I suspect the right wing "America first" patriots and mainstream media are suddenly concerned about Afghanistan and its citizens.

The media will make a stink about it for a week or so and then everyone will forget about it once football season gets rollings. I'm betting a hundred years on down the road when China is the world super power in decline they'll attempt to invade Afghanistan and end up in a costly situation they can't win.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2021-08-16, 10:29

No one has ever been able to gain control (or shift control) from the tribal war lords in Afghanistan for a long time. Like going back to Alexander The Great and he dies in 323 BC. The tribes unified in 1747.  After that the British, the USSR and now the US have all seen their efforts to gain influence fail.  Its an isolated country with few exploitable natural resources

End result for the US and world will be heroin's comeback.  The Taliban's strength is the centuries tribal old war lord system that controls the areas in Afghanistan where opium poppies are grown.  They have been a source of income since at least since the late 1890's when Bayer began producing heroin.

No US politician want's to remember the US most recent involvement in Afghanistan was initially to interfere with Russia's attempted takeover then after 9-11 2001 making it a potential military staging area for controling territory on Iran's eastern border.

PS
The RNC has removed a page from its website raising Trump for his “Historic” peace deal with the Taliban.  Really no US pol wants their fingerprints on anything having to do with Afghanistan

https://www.newsweek.com/gop-removes-webpage-praising-trumps-historic-peace-deal-taliban-1619605

Last edited by GRR Spartan on 2021-08-16, 12:42; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-16, 11:40

[tw]1427283154398814214?s=21[/tw]

Won’t read the article just pointing out what a horse shit take this is. That one is for you, Bob.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2021-08-16, 12:44

steveschneider wrote:[tw]1427283154398814214?s=21[/tw]

Won’t read the article just pointing out what a horse shit take this is. That one is for you, Bob.

Sounds like the same people who claim the Jan 6 storming of the Capital were tourists
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-08-16, 13:20

GRR Spartan wrote:

Sounds like the same people who claim the Jan 6 storming of the Capital were tourists

It's mostly coming from people unbothered by fighting "forever wars" so long as those wars support American imperialism.

The speed at which the Taliban has retaken the country suggests policy failure by the Bush, Obama, and Trump administrations. Obviously Biden was a member of the Obama administration. Clearly the troop surges during the Bush and Obama administrations did not result in long-term success, and the Trump administration dropping the MOAB in 2017 was just so Donny could see big bomb go boom. The MOAB did nothing to deter the Taliban.

Whether a slow or quick withdraw, the result would have been the same because the war has been a stalemate for over a decade.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-08-16, 13:39

Trump makes peace deal, releases 5000 Taliban prisoners, including Mullah Baradar who is set to become the new Afghan leader. As part of Trump's deal, U.S. has to pull out by May 2021. Somehow Biden delayed this until August. A month ago Trump is bragging that the process he started can't be stopped, but this is somehow ALL Biden's fault lol.

[tw]1427051039404957697[/tw]

The only thing this administration can be guilty of is underestimating how long it would take the Taliban to seize control. It happened in days not weeks, so that's a pretty big miscalculation in thinking they had more time to get people out. That's some bad intel and guesstimating right there.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2021-08-16, 14:19

My sitting stateside opinion based on speaking to some friends who were career people in the US State Department and Pentagon (USN)

They all said multiple times that their experience with Afghanistan and Iraq was every diplomatic and military relationship was transactional. People in charge had “ “What’s in it for me”. Not their country, for them, their family, their tribe. They negotiated with Trump who has always been transactional.

I suspect the Taliban made threats, payoffs or both to get nearly all of the 1000’s of US trained Afghanistan military to lay down their weapons and some possibly joined them.

Just like Osama bin Laden, I suspect there are wealthy members of the Saudi Royal family funding the Taliban to have a caliphate government in Afghanistan. Would not be shocked if Russia has also been funding them or supplying weapons/ammunition to assist and embarrass the Biden Administration.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-08-16, 15:00

and being amplified by "Amber Phillips" at the "liberal media" at the Washington Post.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-08-16, 15:02

it is pretty funny how the right wing christian hate machine who beat the bigoted drum of "America First" for the last 5-6 years are suddenly a bunch of soft-hearted humanitarians with great concern for the country of Afghanistan and its citizens.

from June of 2020 and the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator's address to West Point graduates.

“We are ending the era of endless wars,” Trump said. It is not the job of American forces “to solve ancient conflicts in faraway lands that many people have not even heard of,” he said.

Are we supposed to be upset about Afghanistan? 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-16, 15:39

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

and being amplified by "Amber Phillips" at the "liberal media" at the Washington Post.

This is a great day for the media to bend over backwards for the GOP to show that they don't have a liberal bias.

From everything I've seen this move is what the people wanted. Seems like this is a rare policy issue where both sides of the aisle are in alignment.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-08-16, 15:48

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: and being amplified by "Amber Phillips" at the "liberal media" at the Washington Post.

This is a great day for the media to bend over backwards for the GOP to show that they don't have a liberal bias.

From everything I've seen this move is what the people wanted. Seems like this is a rare policy issue where both sides of the aisle are in alignment.
like I said earlier, I suspect the mainstream media is having a field day.

and, of course, I suspect the christian republicans are going on the mainstream media talk shows and are barely able to hold back the tears as they empathize with the Afghans..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-08-16, 16:57

GRR Spartan wrote:My sitting stateside opinion based on speaking to some friends who were career people in the US State Department and Pentagon (USN)

They all said multiple times that their experience with Afghanistan and Iraq was every diplomatic and military relationship was transactional. People in charge had “ “What’s in it for me”. Not their country, for them, their family, their tribe. They negotiated with Trump who has always been transactional.

I suspect the Taliban made threats, payoffs or both to get nearly all of the 1000’s of US trained Afghanistan military to lay down their weapons and some possibly joined them.

Just like Osama bin Laden, I suspect there are wealthy members of the Saudi Royal family funding the Taliban to have a caliphate government in Afghanistan. Would not be shocked if Russia has also been funding them or supplying weapons/ammunition to assist and embarrass the Biden Administration.

While that (the part I bolded) may be true in some cases, I dont think it would even take that much. Just simple logic and self preservation. Everyone pretty much knew that the Afghan government/military wouldn't survive without the US, and the Taliban would take power. So if your an Afgan military guy, why die for an inevitable outcome? I mean, unless you're a really hard core anti-Taliban ideologue.

Of course, it all happened more quickly than anyone thought, but perhaps that was an intelligence failure.

Bottom line with the whole thing, if the people don't care enough to stop the Taliban from getting in power then why should we?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-16, 17:04

Probably the most difficult to accept and spot on takes I've seen are this is probably just what it looks like when you lose a war.

And another one that's difficult for the pundits on TV to accept is this is what the people wanted.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-08-16, 18:29

Not popular to say.. and the humanitarian knuckle-scrapers in Mio and their mainstream media heroes won't like it..

but I'm more concerned with COVID in America than I am with the Taliban in Afghanistan.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

GRR Spartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-08-16, 18:37

steveschneider wrote:Probably the most difficult to accept and spot on takes I've seen are this is probably just what it looks like when you lose a war.

And another one that's difficult for the pundits on TV to accept is this is what the people wanted.

Maybe next time this country will think twice before trying to force democracy down another country's throat. Nah, that'll never happen.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2021-08-16, 19:11

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Not popular to say.. and the humanitarian knuckle-scrapers in Mio and their mainstream media heroes won't like it..

but I'm more concerned with COVID in America than I am with the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Spot on Bobby Sak
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-08-16, 21:15

Jake from State Farm wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Probably the most difficult to accept and spot on takes I've seen are this is probably just what it looks like when you lose a war.

Maybe next time this country will think twice before trying to force democracy down another country's throat. Nah, that'll never happen.

We never learned that lesson in Vietnam. Why should we learn it now.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Jake from State Farm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-08-16, 21:17

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

like I said earlier, I suspect the mainstream media is having a field day.

and, of course, I suspect the christian republicans are going on the mainstream media talk shows and are barely able to hold back the tears as they empathize with the Afghans..

The “America first” right wing bullshit and social media memes are now changing to “except Afghanistan “
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-08-16, 21:22

DWags wrote:
Jake from State Farm wrote:

We never learned that lesson in Vietnam. Why should we learn it now.

Are we supposed to be upset about Afghanistan? Mqdefault
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-08-16, 22:06

[tw]1427294742824591363?s=21[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-16, 22:56

[tw]1427391740063924227?s=21[/tw]
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-08-17, 05:22

Turtleneck wrote:[tw]1427294742824591363?s=21[/tw]
Are we supposed to be upset about Afghanistan? 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-17, 06:29

Rough week for the beltway press. They love war and it’s like someone took away their toys.

I’m also reminded of that time we bombed Syria and during a broadcast Brian Williams quoted Leonard Cohen and was mesmerized by the beauty of the missile launching. 😂
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-17, 06:38

[tw]1427376890403295236?s=21[/tw]
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-08-17, 08:07

steveschneider wrote:Rough week for the beltway press. They love war and it’s like someone took away their toys.

I’m also reminded of that time we bombed Syria and during a broadcast Brian Williams quoted Leonard Cohen and was mesmerized by the beauty of the missile launching. 😂

Is it a bad thing that I don't know any of the names you mentioned?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-08-17, 08:24

kingstonlake wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Rough week for the beltway press. They love war and it’s like someone took away their toys.

you don't know Leonard Cohen..??

Are we supposed to be upset about Afghanistan? 46a
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-08-17, 08:42

Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-17, 08:56

kingstonlake wrote:

Yes. You might have to update your ‘greatest song of all time’ thread once you get some Leonard Cohen.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-08-17, 09:02

I mean I've heard the name, but couldn't pick him out of a band, Twitter feed, or pundit column.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-08-17, 10:25

Hallelujah is no Cake By The Ocean, to be sure...
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-17, 10:37

[tw]850204332758716420?s=20[/tw]

Sounds like he's going to need a box of Kleenex and some Jergens.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2021-08-17, 11:05

It’s easy to ask why we didn’t evacuate Afghan nationals who assisted the US but the cold hard truth based on how many Afghans chose to let the Taliban take control is I don’t think everyone who helped the US was necessarily an ally and would have given the Taliban a heads up on too many details.

Good to see FL US Senator is worried about the deficit again. He wasn’t concerned when he voted for the 2017 Tax Act that cut Federal revenue and cut his taxes (he’s the richest US Senator @ $250M+)
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-08-17, 11:31

Cameron wrote:Hallelujah is no Cake By The Ocean, to be sure...

This guy gets it.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-08-17, 11:33

GRR Spartan wrote:It’s easy to ask why we didn’t evacuate Afghan nationals who assisted the US but the cold hard truth based on how many Afghans chose to let the Taliban take control is I don’t think everyone who helped the US was necessarily an ally and would have given the Taliban a heads up on too many details.

Good to see FL US Senator is worried about the deficit again.  He wasn’t concerned when he voted for the 2017  Tax Act that cut Federal revenue and cut his taxes (he’s the richest US Senator @ $250M+)

You can almost draw a straight line between that and extremist in the GOP. The mainstream or moderates know they're bat shit fucking crazy. But they won't break completely from them.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-08-17, 12:19

"The buck stops with me" versus "I don't take responsibility at all."
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next