Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On this day in college football history

+7
Travis of the Cosmos
Motown Spartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
NigelUno
InTenSity
tGreenWay
Turtleneck
11 posters

Go down

On this day in college football history Empty On this day in college football history

Post by Turtleneck 2021-09-01, 10:24

[tw]1433031063127920645?s=20[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Travis of the Cosmos, Cameron, The Pantry, NigelUno, Other Teams Pursuing That, DWags and like this post

Back to top Go down

On this day in college football history Empty Re: On this day in college football history

Post by tGreenWay 2021-09-01, 10:38

I’d call this a shameless attempt for upvotes, but since nobody comes here anymore, that’s not it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

On this day in college football history Empty Re: On this day in college football history

Post by InTenSity 2021-09-01, 10:39

I'm here.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos, NigelUno, tGreenWay, DWags and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-09-01, 10:50

Dantonio's first year.

It was just starting.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-09-01, 10:56

InTenSity wrote:I'm here.

GreenWay thinks you’re a nobody. The rest of us think you’re somebody. You’re great.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

NigelUno likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-09-01, 11:54

I've always wondered what exactly dantonio meant by the moment of silence comment
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-09-01, 12:01

Funny thing about that year and scUM fans. They gave us shit for not beating them like that was worse than them losing to App State.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-09-01, 12:08

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I've always wondered what exactly dantonio meant by the moment of silence comment

What do you mean? I thought it was pretty clear…
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-09-01, 12:23

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I've always wondered what exactly dantonio meant by the moment of silence comment

Was he saying why are you bringing up uofm in a presser with me? Was he saying the uofm program is dead?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-09-01, 12:25

“ He was asked on the Spartan Radio Network’s postgame show about Michigan’s shocking loss to Appalachian State on the same day and said: “Should we have a moment of silence?”

It came off as a “What am I supposed to say?” comment, but Michigan took it as an insult,”
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-09-01, 12:54

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Was he saying why are you bringing up uofm in a presser with me? Was he saying the uofm program is dead?

I think the first. It took him until 2008 to kill their program.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-01, 13:17

Everytime I see App State in a scrolling ticker or their name mentioned I always think of that one blessed day where they kicked Michigan’s ass in the Big House.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

NigelUno likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-09-01, 13:27

I think it was just the perfect storm. App state needed to win. Dantonio had to be a smart ass after. Miichigan had to beat us after we were the better team for much of that game. Mike Hart had to be a smart ass after that game. A reporter had to bring up what Hart said.

Add up all those crazy events and it equals a glorious run against them with that Dantonio smirk. I loved the way he hated them.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-09-01, 13:42

Yeah I always took it as the first
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-09-01, 14:44

Yeah I always took it as the first

Same here. Definitely not saying the program was dead. Though I think he wasn't just talking about how the media likes to ask MSU coaches about UM, but also about the media's obsession and over-hype of UM in general, and how upset many in the media were about that game.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-09-01, 15:04

tGreenWay wrote:I’d call this a shameless attempt for upvotes, but since nobody comes here anymore, that’s not it.

On this day in college football history 4113017228 someone is jealous
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-09-01, 15:20

Just learned this via the comments to that tweet. I was not at all aware that was the first live game broadcast on the Big Ten Network, and if I ever was, I completely forgot.

Big Ten Network was launched at 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time on August 30, 2007, with Big Ten Tonight as its inaugural program. The network aired its first live telecasts two days later on September 1, which included a football game between Appalachian State and Michigan – the game gained national attention for its upset victory; being the first win by a Division I FCS team over a ranked Division I FBS team since Division I was split into two subdivisions by the NCAA in 1978.[9][10] On September 2, the network aired its first women's sports event (a soccer match between Syracuse University and Michigan State) and its first men's non-revenue sports event (a soccer match between UCLA at Indiana).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Network
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-01, 16:35

One thing that added to the whole event was the footage of the Penn States fan reacting to the win in the concourse of their stadium.

I felt a connection to them and we weren't the only fanbase that had a strong dislike of them.

Also, when is the anniversary of that Wolverine fan getting maced in Happy Valley? On this day in college football history 502811600
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-09-01, 16:41

steveschneider wrote:One thing that added to the whole event was the footage of the Penn States fan reacting to the win in the concourse of their stadium.

I felt a connection to them and we weren't the only fanbase that had a strong dislike of them.

Also, when is the anniversary of that Wolverine fan getting maced in Happy Valley? On this day in college football history 502811600

Everybody but UM fans loved that win. There was so much preseason hype, too. They were supposed to win all the games and score all the points.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-09-01, 18:22

Turtleneck wrote:
steveschneider wrote:One thing that added to the whole event was the footage of the Penn States fan reacting to the win in the concourse of their stadium.

Everybody but UM fans loved that win. There was so much preseason hype, too. They were supposed to win all the games and score all the points.

Yeah, I was at our gamewartch bar down here waiting to watch the MSU game, and the whole place went nuts. To be fair, though, having a 1AA school beat any Top 4 ranked team would elicit that reaction.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down