Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial Cedar Village Riot Thread

+11
tGreenWay
TrapperGus
Turtleneck
Robert J Sakimano
Cameron
The Pantry
Other Teams Pursuing That
Dendrobates
AvgMSUJoe
Floyd Robertson
steveschneider
15 posters

Go down

tOfficial Cedar Village Riot Thread Empty tOfficial Cedar Village Riot Thread

Post by steveschneider Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 8:36

[tw]1454874519772938244?s=20[/tw]

tOfficial Cedar Village Riot Thread 502811600
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

tOfficial Cedar Village Riot Thread Empty Re: tOfficial Cedar Village Riot Thread

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 8:41

Burning a couch is one thing. Flipping a car and kicking in the windshield is embarrassing AF. Some people are going to go through some things.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Robert J Sakimano, The Pantry, tGreenWay, duffy munn, Dendrobates, DWags, steveschneider and like this post

Back to top Go down

tOfficial Cedar Village Riot Thread Empty Re: tOfficial Cedar Village Riot Thread

Post by steveschneider Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 8:49

Floyd Robertson wrote:Burning a couch is one thing. Flipping a car and kicking in the windshield is embarrassing AF. Some people are going to go through some things.

Yeah, the car thing was awful. Seems like over the years there’s a couple of couches burned a year. That pick of the two sitting on the burning couch looks like an album cover.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 9:01

If you listen to the Wetzel/Forde/Thamel podcast from yesterday, that car demolition takes up first 10 minutes. They make the very good point that we/MSU spends a lot of time & energy try to prove we're a great school then this happens. The best on-campus atmosphere in 20 years tarnished by the bullshit actions of handful. I don't know how to root this shit out of our DNA, but it has to happen.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

The Pantry, tGreenWay, Dendrobates, steveschneider and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 9:19

Floyd Robertson wrote:If you listen to the Wetzel/Forde/Thamel podcast from yesterday, that car demolition takes up first 10 minutes. They make the very good point that we/MSU spends a lot of time & energy try to prove we're a great school then this happens. The best on-campus atmosphere in 20 years tarnished by the bullshit actions of handful. I don't know how to root this shit out of our DNA, but it has to happen.

I remember there was talks of razing Cedar Village after the Duke riots. That might be a good start.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 9:42

steveschneider wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:If you listen to the Wetzel/Forde/Thamel podcast from yesterday, that car demolition takes up first 10 minutes. They make the very good point that we/MSU spends a lot of time & energy try to prove we're a great school then this happens. The best on-campus atmosphere in 20 years tarnished by the bullshit actions of handful. I don't know how to root this shit out of our DNA, but it has to happen.

I remember there was talks of razing Cedar Village after the Duke riots. That might be a good start.

I can imagine that police staffs (both EL and MSU DPS) were stretched thin on Saturday, but how do you not have enough presence in CV to ward this off? Granted, "enough presence" is a fine line between holding the line and asking for a riot.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 9:56

The "consequence" must not have been properly communicated to the latest pod of students. The current little shits know about the fires of the past, they don't know the idiots that did it got kicked out of school, went to jail and are now 3rd shift managers at the Speedway down the road from their mom and dad's basement.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay and Dendrobates like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 10:00

Ridiculous and embarrassing. This shit has to stop. Who in their right mind thinks this is a good idea? Not only that, but cameras are everywhere. If they were a student, they no longer are today.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 10:12

seems like the word "riot" doesn't really fit here
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos, tGreenWay, AvgMSUJoe and TrapperGus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 10:13

Dendrobates wrote:Ridiculous and embarrassing. This shit has to stop. Who in their right mind thinks this is a good idea? Not only that, but cameras are everywhere. If they were a student, they no longer are today.
Been really drunk in EL and on campus but never would have considered the car thing.  Though, a bunch of us once picked up a car in a bar parking lot and turned it 90°  between two other cars so it couldn't be driven away until one of the others vehicles left.

Last edited by The Pantry on Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 10:41; edited 1 time in total
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 10:16

I'm not saying I agree with the behavior in question, but the present generation has just as much right as any that came before to be reckless morons who jeopardize their own futures with public jackassery. The beat goes on.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 10:34

it's a fairly systemic issue.

one variable is how couch-burning has turned into a joke, an expectation. Even the mayor of East Lansing (whom I'm not a fan of), posted a picture last week of a sad couch meme.. of course, she's not encouraging this behavior, but by amplifying it into a comedic caricature, it furthers the normalization of the behavior.

also, as someone else suggested, I'm 100% okay with kids being made an example out of. Kids, past and present, who have been arrested, kicked out of school, convicted, etc., need to become a public service announcement of what not to do.

Put their face on the City of EL, MSU, MSU PD, etc. Twitter feed incessantly the week leading up to the game.. "don't be this guy" with his/her fucking mug shot, criminal charges, fines assessed, jail time served, etc.

the whole email about "Spartans Will Celebrate Responsibly" is a freaking joke.

I'm all for them having fun. I'm all for them totally clogging up downtown celebrating..  and this is coming from a proud East Lansing resident. It's part of why we live in East Lansing. But the destruction is ridiculous.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Dendrobates, steveschneider and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 10:36

These moments are really good examples of the white privilege that supposedly doesn't exist.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 10:38

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:seems like the word "riot" doesn't really fit here

Maybe because we’ve had some gigantic city wide ones and this small one doesn’t feel the same but what happened fits the definition.

a violent disturbance of the peace by a crowd.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 10:50

Robert J Sakimano wrote:it's a fairly systemic issue.

one variable is how couch-burning has turned into a joke, an expectation. Even the mayor of East Lansing (whom I'm not a fan of), posted a picture last week of a sad couch meme.. of course, she's not encouraging this behavior, but by amplifying it into a comedic caricature, it furthers the normalization of the behavior.

also, as someone else suggested, I'm 100% okay with kids being made an example out of. Kids, past and present, who have been arrested, kicked out of school, convicted, etc., need to become a public service announcement of what not to do.

Put their face on the City of EL, MSU, MSU PD, etc. Twitter feed incessantly the week leading up to the game.. "don't be this guy" with his/her fucking mug shot, criminal charges, fines assessed, jail time served, etc.

the whole email about "Spartans Will Celebrate Responsibly" is a freaking joke.

I'm all for them having fun. I'm all for them totally clogging up downtown celebrating..  and this is coming from a proud East Lansing resident. It's part of why we live in East Lansing. But the destruction is ridiculous.

I think it's just a college thing. I lived by Berkeley and while I lived there a car got flipped and destroyed on Telegraph and after a UCLA game there was a massive free for all brawl at 2AM when the bars let out in the middle of Telegraph. Living on the east coast riots at UCONN have popped up on my radar that looked really bad and I remember Maryland setting their town on fire after the 2002 NCAA championship game. Worked with a Maryland grad that said he wasn't shocked and used to see stuff like it all the time.

Have worked with Buckeye grads and UNC grads that would tell me about drunken mayhem and destruction they witnessed at their time in school. I think pretty much after every UNC basketball game students run out to Franklin ST and burn shit all the time. I think part of it is to your point the couch thing has become a joke and our state really puts a spotlight on MSUs riots. Whenever a couch goes up on flames it gets distributed across FB and social media.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

TrapperGus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 10:52

Cameron wrote:I'm not saying I agree with the behavior in question, but the present generation has just as much right as any that came before to be reckless morons who jeopardize their own futures with public jackassery. The beat goes on.
Current generation seems to be really dumb considering camera phones and surveillance cameras are everywhere.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Bredo Morstoel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 11:04

[tw]1455173915077222405?s=21[/tw]

Just saw this. 😂
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 11:11

The Blue Wall amplifies anything that happens in East Lansing and ignores anything that happens in A2
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 11:20

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:seems like the word "riot" doesn't really fit here

Yep, not a riot. At least, not by historic EL standards. Still, incredibly stupid for all the reasons mentioned here.

It occurred to me yesterday, while looking at these pics and vid, that a couple of these morans could be the kids of the idiots who rioted in ‘99, ‘00, etc.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 12:49

tGreenWay wrote:

Yep, not a riot. At least, not by historic EL standards. Still, incredibly stupid for all the reasons mentioned here.

It occurred to me yesterday, while looking at these pics and vid, that a couple of these morans could be the kids of the idiots who rioted in ‘99, ‘00, etc.

I'm fine with calling it a riot. Downplaying it just feeds into that whole privilege thing.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 12:56

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I'm fine with calling it a riot. Downplaying it just feeds into that whole privilege thing.

"Couch burning began on the streets of East Lansing just a few minutes after Michigan State's big victory Saturday over rival Michigan as the city's fire department confirmed over 20 fires as of 5:55 p.m. and a video showed a car being flipped over."

Over twenty fires spread across town and a car being flipped. I'm going to guess the majority of cities across this nation would consider that a riot if that happened in their community.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 13:05

Fucking Antifa, at it again.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 13:38

MiamiSpartan wrote:Fucking Antifa, at it again.
Those looked more like the BLM guys who created the mess on 1/6.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 13:57

No reason to bring politics in this thread.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 14:03

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Fucking Antifa, at it again.
Those looked more like the BLM guys who created the mess on 1/6.
tOfficial Cedar Village Riot Thread 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 14:25

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

If underprivileged people flipped a car and burned some couches i wouldn’t call it a riot either. Seems subjective.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 14:46

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

If underprivileged people flipped a car and burned some couches i wouldn’t call it a riot either. Seems subjective.
it was a fracas.. mayhem.. bedlam.. a hullaballoo!
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 15:19

Nut jobs blaming society for their failures
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 16:21

tGreenWay wrote:

Hell, they could have been conceived during those riots.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Probably CF Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 16:44

Am I alone in not giving a shit about this anymore? Yeah I think people who mess with other peoples’ personal property should face harsh repercussions but if some drunk fucks wanna roast a couch in Cedar Village I saw more power to them.
Probably CF
Probably CF
Spartiate

Travis of the Cosmos, Cameron and Other Teams Pursuing That like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 17:00

Probably CF wrote:Am I alone in not giving a shit about this anymore? Yeah I think people who mess with other peoples’ personal property should face harsh repercussions but if some drunk fucks wanna roast a couch in Cedar Village I saw more power to them.

Sign me up, CF.
Geronte
Geronte

Probably CF likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue 2 Nov 2021 - 9:38

[tw]1455524054555889664?s=21[/tw]

Feel bad for the kids just sitting on the couch. No evidence they started the fire and I though it was funny.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 2 Nov 2021 - 9:47

Group text on Saturday night. Pretty much all MSU fans except the UM sister in law. She links the mlive story. I respond with…

😂 Scoreboard

UM Sister in law has left the chat.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue 2 Nov 2021 - 9:51

You know how many times I uttered the phrase: "Never liked them hangin' around at Christmas anyway..."????

More than once.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Probably CF Tue 2 Nov 2021 - 10:29

NigelUno wrote:Group text on Saturday night. Pretty much all MSU fans except the UM sister in law. She links the mlive story. I respond with…

😂 Scoreboard

UM Sister in law has left the chat.

Even their insults are stuck in the past.
Probably CF
Probably CF
Spartiate

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue 2 Nov 2021 - 15:53

After seeing January 6, it’s hard for me to call some idiots getting stupidly carried away with partying a “riot”. I’m not trying to bring politics into this, but this just doesn’t bother me like it did what I was a kid at state and the Duke game happened. And had I known then what I know now, that probably wouldn’t have bothered me as much either.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and Probably CF like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down