Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial Star Wars The Force Awakens Thread (This Thread Contains SPOILERS. You have been warned.)

+19
WhiteBoyHatcher
Rocinante
AnomanderRake
DWags
The_Dude
Heat Miser
Ass Dan
Watch Out Pylon!
Code_Warrior
CORNER BLITZ
steveschneider
Dr. Strangelove
Cym Jim
Other Teams Pursuing That
MiamiSpartan
InTenSity
Gomer
Travis of the Cosmos
Turtleneck
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

tOfficial Star Wars The Force Awakens Thread (This Thread Contains SPOILERS. You have been warned.) Empty tOfficial Star Wars The Force Awakens Thread (This Thread Contains SPOILERS. You have been warned.)

Post by Turtleneck Sun 20 Dec 2015 - 11:38

InTenSity is mad at us for not discussing the movie. Lets do it in this thread. I am game.

Overall, I thought it was very good. It definitely recaptured the Star Wars feel the prequels lost.

I suppose the big question is who is Rey? Is she Skywalker's daughter? For a person with no previous training, her sudden command of the force was pretty amazing.

If there was one thing I did not like, it was Kylo Ren. My issue was not with the character, but with how the character was portrayed. For somebody in his position - commanding a legion of troops and possessing such a strong sense of the Force - he was weak. I realize his training was not complete, but unlike previous characters in his position, he did not exhibit certain necessary qualities. Yes, he was very powerful in certain ways. However, we was irrational and way too emotional. Dark side or light side, previous characters that strong in the Force and in that kind of position were rational and in complete control of their emotions. He threw a lot of temper tantrums. He was also pretty lousy with the lightsaber. He needs to toughen up.

Last edited by Turtleneck on Sun 20 Dec 2015 - 13:46; edited 2 times in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial Star Wars The Force Awakens Thread (This Thread Contains SPOILERS. You have been warned.) Empty Re: tOfficial Star Wars The Force Awakens Thread (This Thread Contains SPOILERS. You have been warned.)

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 20 Dec 2015 - 11:55

I viewed Kylo as "this is what anakin would have been like if he had not been burnt to a crisp and if there were a movie between 3 and 4." Actually, maybe even given that he was burnt to a crisp. There would be random fits of rage, tons of anger, fear, etc and it would have taken him time to learn to focus those emotions. Kylo is just at that stage of his development and I assume we would see a much more rounded and in control bad guy out of him in subsequent movies. In other words, he wasn't meant to be the perfect all around form of evil, not yet at least.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial Star Wars The Force Awakens Thread (This Thread Contains SPOILERS. You have been warned.) Empty Re: tOfficial Star Wars The Force Awakens Thread (This Thread Contains SPOILERS. You have been warned.)

Post by Gomer Sun 20 Dec 2015 - 11:56

The last movie I saw in the theaters was Brokeback Mountain.  True story.  So I can honestly say, though I want to help this place be great with dynamic discussion on multiple subjects, I don't have much to add about this new Star Wars flick.  My apologies tOfficial Star Wars The Force Awakens Thread (This Thread Contains SPOILERS. You have been warned.) 992749028
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Sun 20 Dec 2015 - 11:57

Haha, fair enough. I think Kylo-ren/Ben hated solo because he blames him for not having the force. He's weaker because he only gets the force from Leia. He's posed he can't be as powerful as Vader. What is Snoke? Where is he? What is Maz, she's now the oldest known character in the star wars universe.
Rey has to be a descendant of the most powerful Jedi, she's stronger than Kylo-ren.
I hope the movies move away from the original now. They recaptured the star wars universe, don't make it a modern version of the original trilogy.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 20 Dec 2015 - 11:58

Thanks, Gomer.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 20 Dec 2015 - 13:39

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I viewed Kylo as "this is what anakin would have been like if he had not been burnt to a crisp and if there were a movie between 3 and 4." Actually, maybe even given that he was burnt to a crisp. There would be random fits of rage, tons of anger, fear, etc and it would have taken him time to learn to focus those emotions. Kylo is just at that stage of his development and I assume we would see a much more rounded and in control bad guy out of him in subsequent movies. In other words, he wasn't meant to be the perfect all around form of evil, not yet at least.

That's a good point. Maybe we will see him evolve in future episodes. I still would have liked to see him farther along given his leadership position within The First Order. But you are right, he is young and raw much like Anakin at that age. I have also seen quite a few episodes of Girls, so it was kind of like "Oh, it's that weird moody hipster kid, only he has a lightsaber now. I wonder if he will start masturbating in front of Rey?" Still think he should have been better with a lightsaber. He should have been able to cut Finn in half in like 30 seconds.

InTenSity wrote:Haha, fair enough. I think Kylo-ren/Ben hated solo because he blames him for not having the force. He's weaker because he only gets the force from Leia. He's posed he can't be as powerful as Vader. What is Snoke? Where is he? What is Maz, she's now the oldest known character in the star wars universe.
Rey has to be a descendant of the most powerful Jedi, she's stronger than Kylo-ren.
I hope the movies move away from the original now. They recaptured the star wars universe, don't make it a modern  version of the original trilogy.

I only watch the movies. As a kid, I read a few books but nothing in quite some time. I really don't know much about the new characters, but would like some background on Snoke.

I agree on moving away. There are also some opportunities to explain the origins of the force with Rey's character. Did we ever find out who Anakin's father was? Maybe Rey is a much younger sibling. When she suddenly realized she had the Force, she weilded her powers quite successfully.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sun 20 Dec 2015 - 17:08

Turtleneck wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I viewed Kylo as "this is what anakin would have been like if he had not been burnt to a crisp and if there were a movie between 3 and 4." Actually, maybe even given that he was burnt to a crisp. There would be random fits of rage, tons of anger, fear, etc and it would have taken him time to learn to focus those emotions. Kylo is just at that stage of his development and I assume we would see a much more rounded and in control bad guy out of him in subsequent movies. In other words, he wasn't meant to be the perfect all around form of evil, not yet at least.

That's a good point. Maybe we will see him evolve in future episodes. I still would have liked to see him farther along given his leadership position within The First Order. But you are right, he is young and raw much like Anakin at that age. I have also seen quite a few episodes of Girls, so it was kind of like "Oh, it's that weird moody hipster kid, only he has a lightsaber now. I wonder if he will start masturbating in front of Rey?" Still think he should have been better with a lightsaber. He should have been able to cut Finn in half in like 30 seconds.

InTenSity wrote:Haha, fair enough. I think Kylo-ren/Ben hated solo because he blames him for not having the force. He's weaker because he only gets the force from Leia. He's posed he can't be as powerful as Vader. What is Snoke? Where is he? What is Maz, she's now the oldest known character in the star wars universe.
I hope the movies move away from the original now. They recaptured the star wars universe, don't make it a modern  version of the original trilogy.

I only watch the movies. As a kid, I read a few books but nothing in quite some time. I really don't know much about the new characters, but would like some background on Snoke.

I agree on moving away. There are also some opportunities to explain the origins of the force with Rey's character. Did we ever find out who Anakin's father was? Maybe Rey is a much younger sibling. When she suddenly realized she had the Force, she weilded her powers quite successfully.
Anakin didn't have a father, at least not in the sperm owner sense of the word. In Ep I his mom clearly says that there was no father. In Ep III, Palpatine tells anakin that the Sith could manipulate the midichlorines to create life (which seemed like a hint that he had done that to create Anakin). We had watched Eps I-VI in the last couple of months as a refresher ahead of the new one, otherwise wouldn't have remembered that stuff from the prequels.

I think Kylo Ren having the advanced position despite his inexperience and incomplete training shows how the first Order isn't quite the Empire. They're all Empire wannabes, but in reality are little more than thugs. If the empire were the Nazis, the First Order are the Neo-Nazis if they ever got organized and into power.

His development will be interesting. As the film ended, Kylo was going back to complete his training with Snoke, while Rey went off to be training with Luke. That sets the stage for a very different battle in the future against two well trained warriors.

I don't have a problem with him not being so good with the lightsaber. He hasn't had any real experience with someone fighting back. It's like a bully that gets his way just by intimidation, then doesn't know what to do when someone, even smaller and weaker, decides to push back (for a seasonal analogy, think Ralphie in A Christmas Story, kicking the bully's ass).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 1:22

It kinda sucked, to be honest. Disappointed.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 3:35

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:It kinda sucked, to be honest. Disappointed.

Felt the same. Not one good character in the whole thing - Poe was passable, but Rey, Finn, Kylo, Hux were all crap, and Han and Leia were used way too much with zero effort. Unkar Plutt and Phasma were the only ones I was interested in. No, I liked Rey in his mask, but he was shit when he took it off. Looked like he was in Harry fucking Potter.

Story was complete shit - everything was just really safe, especially the repeating plots - seemed more like a tribute than anything else. I can't think of anything that surprised me at all. I don't know, I liked how shiny the stormtroppers were, but I wanted a lot more depth, more darkness, not crappy old actors doing cameos for an entire movie. Not a Batman fan, but was hoping to see something similar to what has been done there. If you're going to give that franchise to a new director, at least give it someone who will do something with it. Abrams was out of his depth, unless making billions was the only goal.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 7:55

1. It was more of a remake of "New Hope" than a sequel to "Jedi"
2. Abrams understands and "gets" Star Wars a helluva lot better than he does Star Trek.
3. Movie looked great and Mr. Lens Flare kept it in his pants thankfully
4. It was enjoyable - I'd give it Two Thumbs Up
5. Totally didn't see Han Solo dying - I guess Harrison Ford has cashed enough checks.
6. I guess Episode 8 will be Luke heavy.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 9:49

I will post my thoughts why it sucked in a few. How overrated.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 10:15

Dr. Strangelove wrote:1. It was more of a remake of "New Hope" than a sequel to "Jedi"
2. Abrams understands and "gets" Star Wars a helluva lot better than he does Star Trek.
3. Movie looked great and Mr. Lens Flare kept it in his pants thankfully
4. It was enjoyable - I'd give it Two Thumbs Up
5. Totally didn't see Han Solo dying - I guess Harrison Ford has cashed enough checks.
6. I guess Episode 8 will be Luke heavy.

couldn't agree more on point #2.

About the best thing Abrams did imo was adding Lawrence Kadan to help with the script. Prior to this movie I haven't cared at all for any of Abrams work.

I agree with a lot of the comments that this was really just rehashing a lot of the old themes from the previous movies. The bar scene/cantina, the cave of evil from Empire Strikes back, person with untapped jedi potential living a simple life on a desert planet ending up saving the galaxy and so on and on.

Some complaints. Luke and every Jedi had to go through extensive training, how come Rey just has the power? Seemed a little odd how she went from discovering she had the force, to just being so adept at it.

The battle station that the First Order on it had pathetic defenses. It was just kind of weird how at light speed you could fly through it and land. All of the prior episodes the defenses required elaborate planning to break them.

The big questions out of the Episode: How did Rilo turn to the darkside? (obvious set up for a prequel to this new series that will somewhere between episode 6 and 7).

Who is Rey related to? I have three theories. The two obvious, either daughter of Luke. I don't buy this one. Luke is too much like a monk, I can't picture him having a kid.

Twin sister to Ben Solo. I thought there was some clues to the way Han reacted when she was able to intuitively fix the falcon and just the Ben Solo was able to sense her presence.

The third, she's a clone or an effort by the new order to create Jedi's.

Also, anyone that thought this was predictable two things: I had no idea that Luke would be used so little. I thought the ending was amazing, and a perfect setup for the next episode.

I avoided as many spoilers as possible, and was shocked by Han Solo getting killed.

I loved the story line of Finn, that was probably the most original piece of the story. My prediction is that he's Lando's kid. There's definitely a lot to his back story that we will probably find out as well.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 10:43

Okay I was honestly quite disappointed and the more I think about it the worse the movie gets.

Let's start off with the girl jedi Rey and Finn the storm trooper. Could that relationship be any more forced and awkward? Scenes with those 2 made me uncomfortable as hell. Also, the leader of the first order or whatever, Solo's son, how terrible was this dude's acting? He reminded me of Andy Samberg and was atrocious when his helmet was off. Throwing temper tantrums and getting emotional every 5 minutes got old. His best line was probably "find the map or die" or some shit.

Han Solo and the general's dialogue was weak as hell. Go get our son or talk about the old days. Nothing else. Shit, I probably thought Chewbacca was the best character next to the girl Rey.

And then finally, the plot. For a series with as much popularity as Star wars and as much $ behind this, really? We must find this puzzle piece to fit in the map before they do, otherwise we blow up everything with this big weapon? And then they counter with we are going to blow it up before you do? Come on, man. Use some fucking imagination at least.

Felt like a safe money grab. Maybe I'm just not into Star Wars and into quality flicks, I don't know. Looking forward to Hateful Eight.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 10:49

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Okay I was honestly quite disappointed and the more I think about it the worse the movie gets.

Let's start off with the girl jedi Rey and Finn the storm trooper. Could that relationship be any more forced and awkward? Scenes with those 2 made me uncomfortable as hell. Also, the leader of the first order or whatever, Solo's son, how terrible was this dude's acting? He reminded me of Andy Samberg and was atrocious when his helmet was off. Throwing temper tantrums and getting emotional every 5 minutes got old. His best line was probably "find the map or die" or some shit.

Han Solo and the general's dialogue was weak as hell. Go get our son or talk about the old days. Nothing else. Shit, I probably thought Chewbacca was the best character next to the girl Rey.

And then finally, the plot. For a series with as much popularity as Star wars and as much $ behind this, really? We must find this puzzle piece to fit in the map before they do, otherwise we blow up everything with this big weapon? And then they counter with we are going to blow it up before you do? Come on, man. Use some fucking imagination at least.

Felt like a safe money grab. Maybe I'm just not into Star Wars and into quality flicks, I don't know. Looking forward to Hateful Eight.

tOfficial Star Wars The Force Awakens Thread (This Thread Contains SPOILERS. You have been warned.) WOjy315
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 10:50

Turtleneck wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Okay I was honestly quite disappointed and the more I think about it the worse the movie gets.

tOfficial Star Wars The Force Awakens Thread (This Thread Contains SPOILERS. You have been warned.) WOjy315

tOfficial Star Wars The Force Awakens Thread (This Thread Contains SPOILERS. You have been warned.) NgYAEmx
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 11:00

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Anakin didn't have a father, at least not in the sperm owner sense of the word.  In Ep I his mom clearly says that there was no father.  In Ep III, Palpatine tells anakin that the Sith could manipulate the midichlorines to create life (which seemed like a hint that he had done that to create Anakin).  We had watched Eps I-VI in the last couple of months as a refresher ahead of the new one, otherwise wouldn't have remembered that stuff from the prequels.

I think Kylo Ren having the advanced position despite his inexperience and incomplete training shows how the first Order isn't quite the Empire.  They're all Empire wannabes, but in reality are little more than thugs.  If the empire were the Nazis, the First Order are the Neo-Nazis if they ever got organized and into power.

His development will be interesting.  As the film ended, Kylo was going back to complete his training with Snoke, while Rey went off to be training with Luke.  That sets the stage for a very different battle in the future against two well trained warriors.

I don't have a problem with him not being so good with the lightsaber.  He hasn't had any real experience with someone fighting back.  It's like a bully that gets his way just by intimidation, then doesn't know what to do when someone, even smaller and weaker, decides to push back (for a seasonal analogy, think Ralphie in A Christmas Story, kicking the bully's ass).  

All good points. I acknowledged in a previous post his training was incomplete,  but your point about the First Order not being the Empire is well taken. Looking back, I can see how his underdevelopment is analogous to the First Order's own weaknesses.

I am really interested in finding out where Rey came from. I misremembered Shmi's comments about the father. I thought she said she did not know, but you are right, she said there was no father. Is Rey of the same origin?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 11:41

I had mixed feelings about the removal of Kylo's helmet. I thought they lost a lot unmasking him so soon. The mystery of who's under that mask was strong, and unmasking a character like that is usually a big deal. Felt like they gave it away too soon.

People in our theater laughed at his awkward appearance. He looked like a hipster, or someone that could have been a member of a boy band. Something about it though was really good, it kind of reinforced the immaturity of Ben Solo and made the part about him being the kid of Han and Leia more dramatic. Also, the scene where he killed Han was more powerfwul with his mask off.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 12:54

steveschneider wrote:

Twin sister to Ben Solo. I thought there was some clues to the way Han reacted when she was able to intuitively fix the falcon and just the Ben Solo was able to sense her presence.

Nah, in fact I think there were clues placed to dispel this idea, as they probably figured that a lot of people might think that (I haven't read them, but apparently, Han and Leia had twins in the post-ROTJ books). Han didn't seem to recognize Rey. Even if he did, but was keeping it to himself, when he was talking to Leia and said that he saw their son, you'd think he'd also mention that their son was carrying their long lost daughter off as prisoner. Also, they wouldn't just abandon Rey as a little girl and raise Ben. He was older when he turned, and she was very young when she was abandoned, so being twins wouldn't make sense. Some suggest that Rey and Ben are still brother and sister, but not twins. My only issue with that goes back to Han not recognizing her. People on tRCMB have suggested memory wipes, but that would be an incredibly weak plot device, and I don't recall it ever being suggested that such a thing was possible (except for droids). Of course, I haven't read the books/extended universe stuff that some talk about, so maybe it's possible in the Star Wars universe, but it would still be too weak of a way to explain it.

Being Luke's daughter makes the most sense, and they hinted strongly to that with the old light saber of Anakin and Luke being for her, and the reaction when she touched it. Unless they're just trying to throw us off. She may never have even really known Luke as her dad (Jedi can't have attachments and all that), but he still may have had her mom, Max von Sydow's character, or someone else hide her on Jakku when she was little after Ben turned evil. It would explain Han not recognizing her (he did repeat her name when she told it to him, but that could be recognition or it could be nothing at all), and would explain the embrace between her and Leia at the end. Though they hadn't met, they could sense it through the force. That doesn't take much training, and remember how Leia "somehow always knew" that Luke was her brother, despite not even knowing that she had the force.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 13:03

steveschneider wrote:

I had mixed feelings about the removal of Kylo's helmet. I thought they lost a lot unmasking him so soon. The mystery of who's under that mask was strong, and unmasking a character like that is usually a big deal. Felt like they gave it away too soon.

People in our theater laughed at his awkward appearance. He looked like a hipster, or someone that could have been a member of a boy band. Something about it though was really good, it kind of reinforced the immaturity of Ben Solo and made the part about him being the kid of Han and Leia more dramatic. Also, the scene where he killed Han was more powerfwul with his mask off.
I kind of feel that's what they were going for. The spoiled, entitled brat, that runs off to evil as some kind of rebelling against his parents, doesn't really understand his power or how to control his emotions. I almost felt like it was a play on fucked up kids that go and shoot up a school. Something about his look reminded me of one of the Columbine shooters, which was rather unsettling having something real like that invade my thoughts in such a fictional movie. No idea if they were going for a parallel with fucked up kids like that or not, but that popped into my head seeing him and how he behaved.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 13:14

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I kind of feel that's what they were going for. The spoiled, entitled brat, that runs off to evil as some kind of rebelling against his parents, doesn't really understand his power or how to control his emotions. I almost felt like it was a play on fucked up kids that go and shoot up a school. Something about his look reminded me of one of the Columbine shooters, which was rather unsettling having something real like that invade my thoughts in such a fictional movie. No idea if they were going for a parallel with fucked up kids like that or not, but that popped into my head seeing him and how he behaved.

Yeah, that's probably not too far of a stretch.

I'll add one thing about all the complaints I'm hearing about Ben Solo, the biggest ball ever dropped by the franchise was hands down Darth Maul. They did nothing in the first film to make you wonder about his back ground and they killed him off way too soon.

At least with Boba Fett up to the prequels you were always left wondering about him even with the small amount of information provided in the original films, this was never the case with Darth Maul.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 13:28

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Nah, in fact I think there were clues placed to dispel this idea, as they probably figured that a lot of people might think that (I haven't read them, but apparently, Han and Leia had twins in the post-ROTJ books). Han didn't seem to recognize Rey. Even if he did, but was keeping it to himself, when he was talking to Leia and said that he saw their son, you'd think he'd also mention that their son was carrying their long lost daughter off as prisoner. Also, they wouldn't just abandon Rey as a little girl and raise Ben. He was older when he turned, and she was very young when she was abandoned, so being twins wouldn't make sense. Some suggest that Rey and Ben are still brother and sister, but not twins. My only issue with that goes back to Han not recognizing her. People on tRCMB have suggested memory wipes, but that would be an incredibly weak plot device, and I don't recall it ever being suggested that such a thing was possible (except for droids). Of course, I haven't read the books/extended universe stuff that some talk about, so maybe it's possible in the Star Wars universe, but it would still be too weak of a way to explain it.

Being Luke's daughter makes the most sense, and they hinted strongly to that with the old light saber of Anakin and Luke being for her, and the reaction when she touched it. Unless they're just trying to throw us off. She may never have even really known Luke as her dad (Jedi can't have attachments and all that), but he still may have had her mom, Max von Sydow's character, or someone else hide her on Jakku when she was little after Ben turned evil. It would explain Han not recognizing her (he did repeat her name when she told it to him, but that could be recognition or it could be nothing at all), and would explain the embrace between her and Leia at the end. Though they hadn't met, they could sense it through the force. That doesn't take much training, and remember how Leia "somehow always knew" that Luke was her brother, despite not even knowing that she had the force.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards a third option that is a complete twist. I feel like daughter of luke or the solos is a ruse so they can catch us completely off guard. I'm going to make wild guess she's possibly a clone of vader's dna. The First Order was desperate to get a dark lord, and used the cloning technology to try to create a dark jedi.

It is possible that Han and Leia probably vowed to hide her and kept it a secret. Letting it out who she is would be a huge security risk to the alliance. Also, Han may not of recognized her initially because of all the year that have passed, but there were some hints while she was in the falcon that lead me to believe he was starting to realize who she was.

At the end of the day, it is going to be great when we all find out the answer.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 15:35

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
I kind of feel that's what they were going for.  The spoiled, entitled brat, that runs off to evil as some kind of rebelling against his parents, doesn't really understand his power or how to control his emotions.  I almost felt like it was a play on fucked up kids that go and shoot up a school.  Something about his look reminded me of one of the Columbine shooters, which was rather unsettling having something real like that invade my thoughts in such a fictional movie.  No idea if they were going for a parallel with fucked up kids like that or not, but that popped into my head seeing him and how he behaved.

Yeah, that's probably not too far of a stretch.

I'll add one thing about all the complaints I'm hearing about Ben Solo, the biggest ball ever dropped by the franchise was hands down Darth Maul. They did nothing in the first film to make you wonder about his back ground and they killed him off way too soon.

At least with Boba Fett up to the prequels you were always left wondering about him even with the small amount of information provided in the original films, this was never the case with Darth Maul.
The whole Darth Maul thing was funny.  Leading up to Episode I, he was THE face of evil, much like Kylo Ren was for this one.  They marketed the hell out of him.  Bad ass looking guy with a bad ass two-sided light saber, and all that.  Then he has like one line, a couple of light saber scenes, then he gets sliced in half.  He wasn't very significant to the story, so I don't mind them not going very deep on him, but it's just hilarious how such an insignificant character was marketed.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 18:46

tOfficial Star Wars The Force Awakens Thread (This Thread Contains SPOILERS. You have been warned.) QXXZJuK
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 22:23

I never liked ATL or Humanities. This thread reminds me of ATL and Humanities.

I tend to be simple minded about movies. Either I have fun watching a movie or I don't. I had fun watching the movie.

The extent of my analysis is that I appreciated the parallels with the original movie.

I could understand the critical analysis if the story was intended to be a great work of literature. That's not the case. It's just fun watching shit blow up. IMO, if you look for deeper significance than that, you're doing it wrong.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 22:27

Code_Warrior wrote:I never liked ATL or Humanities. This thread reminds me of ATL and Humanities.

I tend to be simple minded about movies. Either I have fun watching a movie or I don't. I had fun watching the movie.

The extent of my analysis is that I appreciated the parallels with the original movie.

I could understand the critical analysis if the story was intended to be a great work of literature. That's not the case. It's just fun watching shit blow up. IMO, if you look for deeper significance than that, you're doing it wrong.

I like you because you call it a movie instead of a film like an uppity hipster.

Also, otpt, I've addressed your complaints in this thread or a different one about the bad guy, but you didn't reply. It makes me sad.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 23:40

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Code_Warrior wrote:I never liked ATL or Humanities. This thread reminds me of ATL and Humanities.

I like you because you call it a movie instead of a film like an uppity hipster.

Also, otpt, I've addressed your complaints in this thread or a different one about the bad guy, but you didn't reply. It makes me sad.
Just wait till the hipsters start calling them digitals rather than films. When that happens, I will capture them and use them for bait in my terrorist hunts. Then again, the terrorists may decide that taking out a group of hipsters discussing pseudo-intellectual bullshit would be doing us a favor. Hell, the terrorists might even drcide to drop groups of hipsters into crowded areas to annoy people to death. I'll have to re-think my plan...
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 23:42

Code_Warrior wrote:

Just wait till the hipsters start calling them digitals rather than films. When that happens, I will capture them and use them for bait in my terrorist hunts. Then again, the terrorists may decide that taking out a group of hipsters discussing pseudo-intellectual bullshit would be doing us a favor. Hell, the terrorists might even drcide to drop groups of hipsters into crowded areas to annoy people to death. I'll have to re-think my plan...

Hipsters are pretty harmless in all reality. They do their thing. Whatever.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 23:43

Code_Warrior wrote:

So you're a hipster?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 23:44

Turtleneck wrote:

So you're a hipster?

Nah. They just don't bother me.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 23:50

Turtleneck wrote:

So you're a hipster?

2 posts ago you called them uppity, which is the worst insult possible, and now you want to have sex with them. I can't take this roller coaster ride....
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon 21 Dec 2015 - 23:55

Code_Warrior wrote:

2 posts ago you called them uppity, which is the worst insult possible, and now you want to have sex with them. I can't take this roller coaster ride....

No no code warrior. I want to have sex with you. Sometimes they can be uppity but even in an uppity state they are ultimately harmless. Like otpt in his pure hipster state. He's fine. Whatever. Just a super hipster.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Tue 22 Dec 2015 - 0:09

Code_Warrior wrote:

No no code warrior. I want to have sex with you. Sometimes they can be uppity but even in an uppity state they are ultimately harmless. Like otpt in his pure hipster state. He's fine. Whatever. Just a super hipster.
As a code warrior I took vows and shit. I have to remain pure and shit. I can only spill the blood of terrorists.... And hipsters.... It was all very official.... there was a ceremony and everything.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 22 Dec 2015 - 1:01

Oh hi guys. Checking in now. Thought it was really good. Nothing really original unless you want to count the storm trooper turning good. But tons of nostalgia. For the next movie I would like to see hipster Vader go full on evil. He was struggling with going back to Han but finally gave in and took dad out.

I also want to see a totally original story line for the next movie. Touching on themes from the original series was great to basically kickstart this new trilogy, but I want to be taken to unexplored territory in the franchise. Ok. It's really fucking late. Off to bed.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 22 Dec 2015 - 1:40

If star wars was a good film I'm a hipster.

Whoops that's not right!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 22 Dec 2015 - 6:58

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:If star wars was a good film I'm a hipster.

Whoops that's not right!

No, that's just because you insist on using the word film.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 22 Dec 2015 - 8:08

Whoops that's not right!

You think Harden is better than Jordan. Your opinion doesn't count.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Dec 2015 - 8:10

Thanks for the spoilers, no need to see another snooze fest.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Tue 22 Dec 2015 - 8:11

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Oh hi guys. Checking in now. Thought it was really good. Nothing really original unless you want to count the storm trooper turning good. But tons of nostalgia. For the next movie I would like to see hipster Vader go full on evil. He was struggling with going back to Han but finally gave in and took dad out.

I also want to see a totally original story line for the next movie. Touching on themes from the original series was great to basically kickstart this new trilogy, but I want to be taken to unexplored territory in the franchise. Ok. It's really fucking late. Off to bed.

JJ Abrams doesn't do original. He does a make a pretty good homage to Star Wars though.

Star Trek? Not so much$
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 22 Dec 2015 - 8:50

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Whoops that's not right!

Turtleneck completely made that up. tOfficial Star Wars The Force Awakens Thread (This Thread Contains SPOILERS. You have been warned.) 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Tue 22 Dec 2015 - 8:52

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Turtleneck completely made that up. tOfficial Star Wars The Force Awakens Thread (This Thread Contains SPOILERS. You have been warned.) 502811600

You may have simply hinted at that once. Big mistake if so. Turtleneck doesn't forget things like that.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next