Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What kind of snow blower do I need?

+22
Rick Saunders
I.B. Fine
GRR Spartan
tGreenWay
RQA
Rocinante
AvgMSUJoe
steveschneider
MSU addict
TrapperGus
Nordic
DWags
Travis of the Cosmos
Robert J Sakimano
Jake from State Farm
kingstonlake
The Pantry
duffy munn
NigelUno
Motown Spartan
Floyd Robertson
Dendrobates
26 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

What kind of snow blower do I need? Empty What kind of snow blower do I need?

Post by Dendrobates 2021-11-29, 08:15

There are so many kinds out there, I'm just not sure where to start. I want obviously nothing crazy expensive, or ginormous. But enough to get the job done and easy to use. We have a 3 car garage/driveway in typical suburbia. I'm hoping to not have to spend more than $500, but if I have to I will.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Motown Spartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

What kind of snow blower do I need? Empty Re: What kind of snow blower do I need?

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-11-29, 08:21

Two words: Two Stager
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Motown Spartan and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

What kind of snow blower do I need? Empty Re: What kind of snow blower do I need?

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-11-29, 08:36

What Floyd said. You won't always need it and for light snowfalls it'll seem like overkill, but when the shit gets real you'd be happy to have paid double.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-11-29, 08:39

Two Stage
Self Propelled
Electric Start
The wider the better...

I believe all two stagers will be self propelled. Definitely get the electric start though because they sit for long periods and suck to pull start in the cold.

I'd be prepared to spend upwards of $800 if not more.

Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-11-29, 08:41

What kind of snow blower do I need? 41K5yMOucTL._AC_
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2021-11-29, 08:47

Motown Spartan wrote:Two Stage
Self Propelled
Electric Start
The wider the better...

I believe all two stagers will be self propelled. Definitely get the electric start though because they sit for long periods and suck to pull start in the cold.

Fuck seriously? $800
Shocked What kind of snow blower do I need? 4177874726
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-11-29, 08:52

Dendrobates wrote:
Self Propelled
Electric Start
The wider the better...

Fuck seriously? $800

In the UP maybe. You're in mid-Michigan, right? You can get away with one of those cute electric ones with LED lights. Or spend $400 or so on a gas one. Shovels work fine also.

Or get a heated driveway.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-11-29, 08:56

Dendrobates wrote:There are so many kinds out there, I'm just not sure where to start. I want obviously nothing crazy expensive, or ginormous. But enough to get the job done and easy to use. We have a 3 car garage/driveway in typical suburbia. I'm hoping to not have to spend more than $500, but if I have to I will.

By a shovel and a 12 pack of PBR. Invite Bob over. Profit.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-11-29, 09:02

NigelUno wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

Fuck seriously? $800

In the UP maybe. You're in mid-Michigan, right? You can get away with one of those cute electric ones with LED lights. Or spend $400 or so on a gas one. Shovels work fine also.

Or get a heated driveway.

Nigel is correct, for 85% of the snowfalls you get in Metro Detroit. But you won't regret buying one capable of 100% of the snowfalls that you get and you will regret buying the cheaper option 15% of the time.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-11-29, 09:14

Distance from garage doors to street? Length of sidewalk?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-11-29, 09:16

Two stage or GTFO. I've already used mine twice. Another thing to consider is even if you get only 2-4 inches and it's wet and heavy... Your single stage is gonna look like it's just puking slush instead of throwing it.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-11-29, 09:22

Most two stages are also self propelled. I've known more than a couple people who've busted their ass on ice because they're pushing a single stage instead of walking behind a two stage.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-11-29, 09:35

Just checked at Lowe's in Clinton Township. The smallest and cheapest 2 stage they have is a Craftsman for $899. That's about the best you could expect.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-11-29, 09:45

Weingartz in Utica. They have 4 in stock. Don't know the price for sure, but probably $899

https://weingartz.com/PD/4043369/Toro-SnowMaster-Snow-Blower-824-QXE-36003
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-11-29, 09:46

Self Propelled
Electric Start
The wider the better...

Or, check out the electric snowblowers. EGO makes a two stage for around $700.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Motown Spartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-11-29, 09:47

duffy munn wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:There are so many kinds out there, I'm just not sure where to start. I want obviously nothing crazy expensive, or ginormous. But enough to get the job done and easy to use. We have a 3 car garage/driveway in typical suburbia. I'm hoping to not have to spend more than $500, but if I have to I will.

I like the way you think.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-11-29, 10:03

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Self Propelled
Electric Start
The wider the better...

I believe all two stagers will be self propelled.  Definitely get the electric start though because they sit for long periods and suck to pull start in the cold.

Or, check out the electric snowblowers. EGO makes a two stage for around $700.

There you go! Might need some spare batteries though depending on how big the driveway is and how cold it is at the time.

Err: The 2 stage appears to be $1,300ish. The single stage, not self propelled, is $700.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-11-29, 10:20

Hey dendro I have this one. Only used it last year, but it definitely got the job done for my suburban sized driveway

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H73P304/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_AEDFB3Q4DHJVDYQK01DR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The purests in this thread I think live in places that get more snow than we do. In the once every few years event that we get 12+ inches, I’ll probably want to go out and snow blow more than once rather than waiting until all the snow has fallen and do it once. Never had to do that last year, but even if I did it takes like 20 minutes so 🤷‍�.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-11-29, 10:37

Man, I don't want to brag, but I just walked into lowes and they had a floor model craftmen lawnmower out that they had used twice. You could tell it was brand new. they have two strips of grass they cut in the back. Anyway, I said I'd buy it if they changed the blade for me. it originally cost 394 dollars. I walked out with a new lawnmower for 170 bucks.

My business partner had done that kind of stuff with snowblowers before. He got an 800 dollar blower for half price at a floor model. What I'm saying Dendro, if you can get through this winter shoveling, and you wait until May, and you aggressively go into Lowes, Home Depot etc and ask (many people won't) you might get a crap load of money off. I was looking at my lowes and I think these people just want to get the models off their floor space and make room for new stuff.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-11-29, 10:51

For something that's going to last you your whole life, don't cut corners.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-11-29, 11:02

ITT...I'm turning into my dad.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-11-29, 11:20

Inherited two 2-cycle single-stage push Toro paddle blowers, one from my parents and one from the inlaws...same model made in the mid-70s.  Maybe 20 inches wide.  Had both pull start (for after it warmed up) and electric start...you plugged an extension cord into them, set the choke, turned the key til they started, then removed the cord.  Both were still running fine when sold at a garage sale maybe 25 years ago. Required very little maintenance.  

They weren't great with the real heavy wet shit but worked fine for most snows.  So light you could push them up on really deep snow and take it off in a couple layers.  So light they had an extra handle on them to pick it up to clear porches.  Since it wasn't self-propelled you could push it at your own pace (didn't have to wait for the drive gearing) when clearing light snows. Great little machine. Worked fine for most SE Michigan snows.  Talked with a few others that had them and they agreed.  

A shame Toro doesn't make that model anymore.  Looked up Toro's current similar version.  It's 4-cycle, self-propelled, probably a lot heavier, and $699 at Home Depot.

Power Clear 721 E 21 in. 212 cc Single-Stage Self Propelled Electric Start Gas Snow Blower

@Dendro   Scroll down the link for other options.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2021-11-29, 12:09

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Hey dendro I have this one. Only used it last year, but it definitely got the job done for my suburban sized driveway

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H73P304/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_AEDFB3Q4DHJVDYQK01DR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The purests in this thread I think live in places that get more snow than we do. In the once every few years event that we get 12+ inches, I’ll probably want to go out and snow blow more than once rather than waiting until all the snow has fallen and do it once. Never had to do that last year, but even if I did it takes like 20 minutes so 🤷‍�.

I imagine most big snowfalls we will be going through them a couple times and not waiting for it all to fall.

The distance from my garage to the street is a little over 40 ft.

I now feel more confused.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2021-11-29, 12:11

DWags wrote:Man, I don't want to brag, but I just walked into lowes and they had a floor model craftmen lawnmower out that they had used twice. You could tell it was brand new. they have two strips of grass they cut in the back. Anyway, I said I'd buy it if they changed the blade for me. it originally cost 394 dollars. I walked out with a new lawnmower for 170 bucks.

My business partner had done that kind of stuff with snowblowers before. He got an 800 dollar blower for half price at a floor model. What I'm saying Dendro, if you can get through this winter shoveling, and you wait until May, and you aggressively go into Lowes, Home Depot etc and ask (many people won't) you might get a crap load of money off. I was looking at my lowes and I think these people just want to get the models off their floor space and make room for new stuff.

That is impressive. I tend to never remember to do shit like that. We're at this stage in life, where any extra little things (like shoveling) we just don't have the time for. And I have some bulged discs, so if I do it, I need a snow blower.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-11-29, 12:12

Dendrobates wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Hey dendro I have this one. Only used it last year, but it definitely got the job done for my suburban sized driveway

I imagine most big snowfalls we will be going through them a couple times and not waiting for it all to fall.

That's on you. You've been here long enough to know better...
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-11-29, 12:23

you could just rent a kid to shovel it.. or someone like me who enjoys that sort of thing.

would likely pay off in the long run.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-11-29, 12:39

I can vouch for Bob's snow plow service. Top notch.

What kind of snow blower do I need? 68bb0810
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-11-29, 12:39

Like others in this thread, I would reccommend the 2-stage self propelled. As dwags stated, it is something you will have forever.

That said, if your in an area that doesn't see a lot of snow, you can get away with Travis' option. Your driveway is not very long. Where you live in Michigan can make a big difference. I live in a weird snow belt and see more snow than just a few miles south. Most of the time I just shovel as it is coming down. Gets me out of the house. But there are a half dozen times a year we get slammed and I need to breakout the 2-stager. I think mine is going on 20 years.

Last edited by Nordic on 2021-11-29, 12:44; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-11-29, 12:43

If you've got disc problems, you need a 2 stage.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-11-29, 12:45

Motown Spartan wrote:If you've got disc problems, you need a 2 stage.

Word
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-11-29, 14:02

Dendrobates wrote:

Do the Bob/PBR thing this winter season

What kind of snow blower do I need? 2022-u10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-11-29, 14:17

Dendrobates wrote:There are so many kinds out there, I'm just not sure where to start. I want obviously nothing crazy expensive,  or ginormous. But enough to get the job done and easy to use. We have a 3 car garage/driveway in typical suburbia. I'm hoping to not have to spend more than $500, but if I have to I will.

Depends on if you want an excuse not to go to work or not.

If you want be always be able to clear your driveway a two, or better yet three stage is the deal.

The size of the opening at the front is the big deal.  If you want to go through 18 inches of snow the height has to be close to 18 inches.

Width is all about how many passes up and down the driveway, which is more about how fast you can clear the driveway, sort of, feed rate comes into play on that one, too.

So in this case, size does matter.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-11-29, 14:46

The Pantry wrote:
Do the Bob/PBR thing this winter season

What kind of snow blower do I need? 2022-u10

Not trying to offend - and I am not sure how serious you are - but it has been my experience that the Old Framers Almanac is about as accurate as your average horoscope and Punxsutawney Phil. They may claim success but it is based on the vagueness of their predictions.

All winter forecasts are not very accurate, but at least this is based on some science:

NOAA Winter Outlook  2021-2022
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-11-29, 14:58

My neighbor has a Kubota diesel yard tractor with a plow. He did mine yesterday with what little snow we got. I think he just likes driving the thing around. I pay him with maple syrup.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-11-29, 16:05

make sure you get one with a Kevlar reinforced 32eTu rotary belt. If one of them cheap rotary belts blows out, you'll wish you had the Kevlar reinforced 32eTu rotary belt.

don't skimp when it comes to the rotary belt.

trust me on this.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

TrapperGus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-11-29, 16:21

Dendrobates wrote:
DWags wrote:Man, I don't want to brag, but I just walked into lowes and they had a floor model craftmen lawnmower out that they had used twice. You could tell it was brand new. they have two strips of grass they cut in the back. Anyway, I said I'd buy it if they changed the blade for me. it originally cost 394 dollars. I walked out with a new lawnmower for 170 bucks.

That is impressive. I tend to never remember to do shit like that. We're at this stage in life, where any extra little things (like shoveling) we just don't have the time for. And I have some bulged discs, so if I do it, I need a snow blower.
Nevets hasn't been able to aid with that? My old chiropractor claimed he could cure anything.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-11-29, 16:34

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I like the way you think.

Except for the whole by instead of buy part. And it should be High Life in a bottle.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-11-29, 16:50

Floyd Robertson wrote:Two words: Two Stager

Yep, and I'll add two more Troy Bilt.

It wil cut through those drifts like a hot knife through butter.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-11-29, 18:27

I like my Ariens.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-11-29, 18:34

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I like my Ariens.

Best there is.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next