Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michigan State Police Study Finds Racial Bias in Traffic Stops - Changes On The Way

+3
Bredo Morstoel
kingstonlake
Trapper Gus
7 posters

Go down

Michigan State Police Study Finds Racial Bias in Traffic Stops - Changes On The Way Empty Michigan State Police Study Finds Racial Bias in Traffic Stops - Changes On The Way

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-01-13, 09:12

The Michigan State Police’s director vowed immediate reforms Wednesday after a report found that troopers were more likely to stop, search and arrest African-American drivers than whites.

State Police Director Col. Joseph Gasper said all troopers will have body cameras by the end of the year, and the agency will undergo a thorough review of practices to try and end “the clear and consistent evidence that racial and ethnic disparities” occur in traffic stops.

“Michiganders deserve unbiased policing, transparency and accountability from their state police, and that’s what they’re going to get,” Gasper said during a Wednesday media event outlining the problems and the agency’s proposed solutions.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/michigan-troopers-vow-reforms-after-study-finds-racial-disparities-stops

Correctly or incorrectly, I have always believed that the Michigan State Police is a very professional organization, the best of the best in law enforcement.

While this may not be entirely true, their reaction to questions of bias, running a study and then acting on its findings, support my good opinion of them.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Michigan State Police Study Finds Racial Bias in Traffic Stops - Changes On The Way Empty Re: Michigan State Police Study Finds Racial Bias in Traffic Stops - Changes On The Way

Post by kingstonlake 2022-01-13, 09:53

I got pulled over yesterday by a state trooper. Didn't ask for my insurance. Just my ID. Let me go. No ticket.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Michigan State Police Study Finds Racial Bias in Traffic Stops - Changes On The Way Empty Re: Michigan State Police Study Finds Racial Bias in Traffic Stops - Changes On The Way

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-01-13, 10:07

kingstonlake wrote:I got pulled over yesterday by a state trooper. Didn't ask for my insurance. Just my ID. Let me go. No ticket.

Hmmm ...

The article does say that 73% of traffic stops result in no ticket issued.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bredo Morstoel 2022-01-13, 10:55

kingstonlake wrote:I got pulled over yesterday by a state trooper. Didn't ask for my insurance. Just my ID. Let me go. No ticket.

They were out in force yesterday. Must have had a big quota coming due yesterday?

Yeah, I drove over 400 miles yesterday. Crazy! LOL
Bredo Morstoel
Bredo Morstoel
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2022-01-13, 12:14

To be fair to the MSP the simple math that 21% of stops involve a group that is 14% of the population does not give any proof of bias.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-01-13, 12:30

Trapper Gus wrote:

Hmmm ...

I asked him if he needed my proof of insurance and he said no. Thats never happened to me before. Lol.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-01-13, 12:39

kingstonlake wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Hmmm ...

I asked him if he needed my proof of insurance and he said no. Thats never happened to me before. Lol.

I would imagine all the information the trooper needs is on the little screen in patrol vehicle, and is very up to date with insurance information.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-01-13, 12:53

Floyd Robertson wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

I would imagine all the information the trooper needs is on the little screen in patrol vehicle, and is very up to date with insurance information.

I guess that little screen didn't have any of Kingston's outstanding warrants though.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-01-13, 13:07

Turtleneck wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

I guess that little screen didn't have any of Kingston's outstanding warrants though.

They're non extradition warrants.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Jake from State Farm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-01-13, 14:05

RQA wrote:To be fair to the MSP the simple math that 21% of stops involve a group that is 14% of the population does not give any proof of bias.

Not sure why you think that is "being fair"

That initial review found that 21 percent of all stops in 2020 involved African Americans, who make up less than 14 percent of the state population.

MSU researchers, led by Scott Wolfe, an associate professor in the school of criminal justice, dove deeper into the data for the latest report, comparing stops to census and crash data and analyzing night and day traffic stops.

By all comparisons, African Americans were disproportionately stopped in most regions of the state and were more likely to be searched and arrested, according to the report.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-01-13, 16:49

On a side note, does anyone know why the MSP still uses the bubble gum light on the roof and the stop sign on the hood of their patrol cars? I haven’t seen that in any other state for years.  Is it just tradition, or is there a practical reason?
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-01-13, 18:29

PennSpartan wrote:On a side note, does anyone know why the MSP still uses the bubble gum light on the roof and the stop sign on the hood of their patrol cars? I haven’t seen that in any other state for years.  Is it just tradition, or is there a practical reason?

According to the MSP website it is for visibility, as in anyone who sees their cars knows instantly that it is the MSP, plus it has less wind resistance than a light bar.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

PennSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-01-13, 18:36

Trapper Gus wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:On a side note, does anyone know why the MSP still uses the bubble gum light on the roof and the stop sign on the hood of their patrol cars? I haven’t seen that in any other state for years.  Is it just tradition, or is there a practical reason?

According to the MSP website it is for visibility, as in anyone who sees their cars knows instantly that it is the MSP, plus it has less wind resistance than a light bar.
Thanks for not calling me an asshole, Trapper. LOL
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-01-13, 18:42

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Thanks for not calling me an asshole, Trapper. LOL

ummm ... you are welcome Michigan State Police Study Finds Racial Bias in Traffic Stops - Changes On The Way 2599972566
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

PennSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down