Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Justice Stephen Breyer is retiring from SCOTUS.

+9
GRR Spartan
Pervis Muldoon
Travis of the Cosmos
Floyd Robertson
Jake from State Farm
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
Trapper Gus
Motown Spartan
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Justice Stephen Breyer is retiring from SCOTUS.  - Page 3 Empty Re: Justice Stephen Breyer is retiring from SCOTUS.

Post by kingstonlake 2022-01-31, 19:40

Trapper Gus wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:I guess saying you're going to nominate a black woman to the supreme Court was more important to people than dangling $1,000 a month in their face. Razz

Election politics is the art of getting people to like you.

There are different buttons to push to get there.

Of course, laughing at the fact that Biden and the Progressives reduced child poverty for a year by 40% is odd, but you be you, dude.

I’m talking about ideas like giving out $1,000 a month as a universal basic income, Trapper.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Justice Stephen Breyer is retiring from SCOTUS.  - Page 3 Empty Re: Justice Stephen Breyer is retiring from SCOTUS.

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-01-31, 19:47

Cameron wrote:I think Travis is right to point out that, while representation matters, the appearance of tokenism can also present an equal and opposite force that can be nearly as negative as the increased representation is positive (key word nearly, Biden should still follow through). Sort of like coaches in the NFL. There needs to be more minorities, but so often teams just toss an interview to a minority candidate to satisfy the Rooney rule when they've already all but hired a white guy. Would be nice if we could reach a place as society where we just recognize the need for more equal representation, take concrete steps to rectify that need, and say only that we have selected the most qualified candidate.

It always seems a bit uncouth when white guys like myself quote MLK, but something something content of one's character something something. We'll get there eventually.

To me, the big difference is that the SCOTUS is supposed to represent the whole country, so it is important to have different perspectives of different groups. There are probably dozens of extremely qualified people that fit with Biden ideologically, don't have any terrible skeletons in the closet, etc. A few of those are probably black women. As long as they fit all the other criteria, then the perspective of a black woman I would be important to have.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2022-01-31, 20:29

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Cameron wrote:I think Travis is right to point out that, while representation matters, the appearance of tokenism can also present an equal and opposite force that can be nearly as negative as the increased representation is positive (key word nearly, Biden should still follow through). Sort of like coaches in the NFL. There needs to be more minorities, but so often teams just toss an interview to a minority candidate to satisfy the Rooney rule when they've already all but hired a white guy. Would be nice if we could reach a place as society where we just recognize the need for more equal representation, take concrete steps to rectify that need, and say only that we have selected the most qualified candidate.

It always seems a bit uncouth when white guys like myself quote MLK, but something something content of one's character something something. We'll get there eventually.

To me, the big difference is that the SCOTUS is supposed to represent the whole country, so it is important to have different perspectives of different groups. There are probably dozens of extremely qualified people that fit with Biden ideologically, don't have any terrible skeletons in the closet, etc. A few of those are probably black women. As long as they fit all the other criteria, then the perspective of a black woman I would be important to have.

And I certainly don't disagree.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-01-31, 21:04

I suspect the greater Mio community is livid at the idea of a black female being nominated to SCOTUS.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-01-31, 21:38

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I suspect the greater Mio community is livid at the idea of a black female being nominated to SCOTUS.

They only allow Clarence Thomas because he was nominated by a white male Republican Christian.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-02-01, 09:20

Motown Spartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I suspect the greater Mio community is livid at the idea of a black female being nominated to SCOTUS.

They only allow Clarence Thomas because he was nominated by a white male Republican Christian.
that.. plus, 'ol Clarence was smart enough to have a (white) wife who participated in the violent insurrection against democracy in America.

that plays well in Mio and similar parts.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-02-01, 09:32

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

that.. plus, 'ol Clarence was smart enough to have a (white) wife who participated in the violent insurrection against democracy in America.

Her participation and links to extremists groups is the underrated story of the year so far.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-02-01, 10:10

kingstonlake wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: that.. plus, 'ol Clarence was smart enough to have a (white) wife who participated in the violent insurrection against democracy in America.

Her participation and links to extremists groups is the underrated story  of the year so far.
yeah, true.. the mainstream media doesn't really want to amplify it. Doesn't serve them and the GOP well.

they'd prefer to promote the outrage of Biden's desire to select a {gasp} black {gasp} female for SCOTUS.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-02-01, 10:33

Ted Cruz says it's 'offensive' and an 'insult' that Biden pledged to nominate a Black woman to the Supreme Court.

Justice Stephen Breyer is retiring from SCOTUS.  - Page 3 502811600 Justice Stephen Breyer is retiring from SCOTUS.  - Page 3 502811600

Caution: Mainstream Media Link
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-02-01, 10:43

kingstonlake wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Election politics is the art of getting people to like you.

There are different buttons to push to get there.

Of course, laughing at the fact that Biden and the Progressives reduced child poverty for a year by 40% is odd, but you be you, dude.

I’m talking about ideas like giving out $1,000 a month as a universal basic income, Trapper.

Wasn't that the software billionaire who then ran for mayor of New York?

Don't recall Biden picking up on that idea.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3