Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True or False: Michigan State Is Dangerously Close To Being On The Bubble.

+14
duffy munn
Dendrobates
Other Teams Pursuing That
Cameron
Nordic
InTenSity
Trapper Gus
RQA
tGreenWay
DWags
kingstonlake
NigelUno
Turtleneck
Robert J Sakimano
18 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

True or False: Michigan State Is Dangerously Close To Being On The Bubble. Empty True or False: Michigan State Is Dangerously Close To Being On The Bubble.

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-02-19, 15:05

18-8, 9-6 in the Big Ten

Bad losses (NW, at Penn State)

Good Wins (at Wisconsin)

Games remaining:

at Iowa
Purdue
at Michigan
at Ohio State
Maryland

all of those games are winnable, all of those games are loseable. We have to win 3 of the last 5 or we might fall into that dreaded "work to do in the conference tournament" category.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

True or False: Michigan State Is Dangerously Close To Being On The Bubble. Empty Re: True or False: Michigan State Is Dangerously Close To Being On The Bubble.

Post by Turtleneck 2022-02-19, 15:12

True. Playing like this is a sure way to 10+ losses. Losing three of those five is a pretty doable task at this point.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

True or False: Michigan State Is Dangerously Close To Being On The Bubble. Empty Re: True or False: Michigan State Is Dangerously Close To Being On The Bubble.

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-19, 15:30

Robert J Sakimano wrote:18-8, 9-6 in the Big Ten

Good Wins (at Wisconsin)

Games remaining:

at Iowa
Purdue
at Michigan
at Ohio State
Maryland

all of those games are winnable, all of those games are loseable. We have to win 3 of the last 5 or we might fall into that dreaded "work to do in the conference tournament" category.

We got in last year with a 9-11 conference record. I think 11-9 would be safe.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-02-19, 15:55

To answer your question, Bob. Yes.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-02-19, 16:11

Good Wins (at Wisconsin)

Games remaining:

at Iowa
Purdue
at Michigan
at Ohio State
Maryland

I’m a bit bitter but maybe the question should be: are our seniors at the point of not caring one bit if they make the tournament? I mean really caring, not lip service.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-02-19, 17:15

I’m not worried. They’ll get there, but I have no illusions that this team can make a run. Maybe go 2-3 games in, at most. Expecting better things next year.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-02-19, 18:03

DWags wrote:

Bad losses (NW,  at Penn State)

Good Wins (at Wisconsin)

Games remaining:

at Iowa
Purdue
at Michigan
at Ohio State
Maryland

I’m a bit bitter but maybe the question should be: are our seniors at the point of not caring one bit if they make the tournament?    I mean really caring, not lip service.
agree - and I've said it before, but this is a befuddling bunch. They're so likeable, but I just want/need one of them to show that they give a fuck.

Yes, I realize that is a totally unfair thing for a random 52 year old dude who is slightly balding to demand just because it soothes his selfish interests.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-02-19, 19:14

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

I’m a bit bitter but maybe the question should be: are our seniors at the point of not caring one bit if they make the tournament?    I mean really caring, not lip service.
agree - and I've said it before, but this is a befuddling bunch. They're so likeable, but I just want/need one of them to show that they give a fuck.

Yes, I realize that is a totally unfair thing for a random 52 year old dude who is slightly balding to demand just because it soothes his selfish interests.

Wouldn’t it be funny if, off the court, maybe they aren’t as nice as we think?

Probably great kids. Get your education make a good living. We want championships. That’s our problem, not theirs. Just work hard and be good people.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-20, 09:20

The Good:

The emergence of Tyson Walker. Maybe this is the break out game he (and this team) needed to spark them the rest of the year.

Walker+Hoggard Combo on the floor together. Gonna see a lot more of that I think.

Good 2nd half by some other guys...Marble and Hauser.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2022-02-20, 09:52

No. Not even close.

5 games from now it is possible to be a bubble team if we lose 4 of them. Seems unlikely.

Don't get so bent out of shape about losing to a team (Illinois) that is clearly better than us. Actually should be encouraged how that game went.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-02-20, 10:01

RQA wrote:No.  Not even close.  

5 games from now it is possible to be a bubble team if we lose 4 of them.   Seems unlikely.  

Don't get so bent out of shape about losing to a team (Illinois) that is clearly better than us.  Actually should be encouraged how that game went.  

The moral victory crowd has entered the chat.

Was Penn State or Rutgers better than MSU? Northwestern? I don't think Bob is basing his question on a single loss. In case you have not noticed, MSU has lost  4 of their last 5 games and 6 of their last 10.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-02-20, 10:18

Turtleneck wrote:

5 games from now it is possible to be a bubble team if we lose 4 of them.   Seems unlikely.  

Don't get so bent out of shape about losing to a team (Illinois) that is clearly better than us.  Actually should be encouraged how that game went.  

Was Penn State or Rutgers better than MSU? Northwestern? I don't think Bob is basing his question on a single loss. In case you have not noticed, MSU has lost  4 of their last 5 games and 6 of their last 10.

this is what puts MSU at risk of missing the NCAA ...

A team with an okay record which has been losing at a high rate in the last half of the season.

looking at those teams, and how MSU has been playing, it doesn't look very good ...

at Iowa - 40/60 loss
Purdue - 20/80 loss
at Michigan - 30/70 loss
at Ohio State - 40/60 loss
Maryland - 70/30 win
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2022-02-20, 11:38

Accepting your percentages (which I don't - you really think we are more likely to lose to M than OSU?) puts our changes of losing all of the first 4 games at 20%.

So I like our chances to finish 2-3, which although a disappointing way to finish up the Big10, would put us off the bubble especially with a win or two in the tourny.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-02-20, 11:48

RQA wrote:Accepting your percentages (which I don't - you really think we are more likely to lose to M than OSU?) puts our changes of losing all of the first 4 games at 20%.

So I like our chances to finish 2-3, which although a disappointing way to finish up the Big10, would put us off the bubble especially with a win or two in the tourny.

Michigan has more talent, it just isn't as well coached, and a true center / forward, which I understand Michigan has, can be an equalizer. The Bayesian analysis is correct, so there is that to hope for, or MSU could regain its MoJo from earlier this year.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-20, 13:01

Turtleneck wrote:

Rutgers? It would be hard to argue they’re not better than us right now.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-02-22, 20:43

Bump
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-02-22, 21:09

kingstonlake wrote:Bump

You mean pop?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2022-02-22, 23:21

MSU is not a regular team and the committee likes continuity.  It'll be close though.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2022-02-22, 23:57

RQA wrote:No. Not even close.

5 games from now it is possible to be a bubble team if we lose 4 of them. Seems unlikely.

I take it back. Embarassed
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-23, 08:49

Purdue
at Michigan
at Ohio State
Maryland

2-2 gets to 11-9

Same as it ever was.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-02-23, 09:03

NigelUno wrote:Purdue
at Michigan
at Ohio State
Maryland

2-2 gets to 11-9

Same as it ever was.

Road wins in the B1G are always hard to get, however.

Plus, Michigan with a real coach now, at home, in a rivalry game?

OSU & Maryland, maybe.

However, the record for the second half of the year says 16th seed or play in game, at best.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-23, 09:09

Trapper Gus wrote:
at Michigan
at Ohio State
Maryland

2-2 gets to 11-9

Same as it ever was.

Road wins in the B1G are always hard to get, however.

For sure. I wouldn't bet on 2-2. Just saying 2-2 gets us to 11-9. Michigan is kind of at a crossroads. We'll see how they respond starting tonight.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-02-23, 09:50

at Michigan
at Ohio State
Maryland

2-2 gets to 11-9

Same as it ever was.
I can't totally disagree, but if I'm being honest and taking my green glasses off, I'm not sure where those two wins come from.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-23, 09:54

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
at Michigan
at Ohio State
Maryland

2-2 gets to 11-9

Same as it ever was.
I can't totally disagree, but if I'm being honest and taking my green glasses off, I'm not sure where those two wins come from.

Purdue and Michigan. Duh.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-02-23, 10:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
at Michigan
at Ohio State
Maryland

2-2 gets to 11-9

Same as it ever was.

Well, there are 12 ways that 2 or more wins can happen and only 5 ways it doesn't happen.  So there is that.

I'm thinking that OSU & Maryland are the weaker teams.  Purdue & Maryland are at home.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-23, 11:51

Using Bracketology, we were a 6 before last night.  So, let's say we flip with Iowa.  They're now a 6 and we're a 7.

Losing to Purdue and OSU won't impact us that much (if at all).  Even losing @ UM probably wouldn't matter that much.

11-9 is a lock.  10-10 might be mildly dangerous.  A win in the Big Ten Tournament would make it less mildly dangerous.  9-11 with a quick exit would not be good.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-02-23, 12:13

I’ll be interested to see if anybody deletes any of their posts in this thread.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-02-23, 18:15

kingstonlake wrote:I’ll be interested to see if anybody deletes any of their posts in this thread.

I guess you can remove content by editing, but they can only be deleted if there are not further posts...at least on tSwill that is how it works.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-02-23, 18:21

Switching my answer to True. I still think they’re closer to being in than not, but that’s based on winning 20 games. We old timers heard Jud always say that 20 wins gets a team into the tournament, and that still seems to hold true, for the most part. Obviously, the committee also looks at if a team is getting better as the season goes along, and that’s where we are sorely lacking.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-02-23, 21:51

at Michigan
at Ohio State
Maryland

2-2 gets to 11-9

Same as it ever was.

Skullfuck
Double Skullfuck
Skullfuck
Skullfuck
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, Cameron and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-02-24, 02:57

Nordic wrote:
at Michigan
at Ohio State
Maryland

2-2 gets to 11-9

Same as it ever was.

Skullfuck
Double Skullfuck
Skullfuck
Skullfuck

Lock this thread.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-26, 09:51

We did flip with Iowa in Bracketology.

Iowa is a 6 in Milwaukee. We're a 7 in Greenville (with Duke as the 2).

Iowa is currently 19 in the NET (actually ahead of Wisconsin). We're 36. A win today would be nice.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-02-26, 14:20

What bubble?? True or False: Michigan State Is Dangerously Close To Being On The Bubble. 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-02-26, 14:22

That helped!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2022-02-26, 14:23

True or False: Michigan State Is Dangerously Close To Being On The Bubble. 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5extk1sjaarg875av6cm51a9h8ytdyp45fsmn49ox&rid=200
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, InTenSity, Trapper Gus and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-02-26, 16:36

Cameron wrote:True or False: Michigan State Is Dangerously Close To Being On The Bubble. 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5extk1sjaarg875av6cm51a9h8ytdyp45fsmn49ox&rid=200

Lol
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-02-26, 17:26

If MSU wins 2 of the next three then I will stop holding my breath on this, and opposition wise it might be possible.

Big issue, as we saw today, it is tough to win on the road in the B1G.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-02-27, 20:38

Trapper Gus wrote:If MSU wins 2 of the next three then I will stop holding my breath on this, and opposition wise it might be possible.

If we win out and Iowa loses one more we have a double bye in the BTT.

Weird.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-28, 08:04

DWags wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:If MSU wins 2 of the next three then I will stop holding my breath on this, and opposition wise it might be possible.

If we win out and Iowa loses one more we have a double bye in the BTT.

Weird.

Dangerously close to a double bye.

Battle for the 4 seed:

OSU 11-6 (Nebraska, MSU, UM)
Iowa 10-7 (NW, @UM, @Illinois)
MSU 10-7 (@UM, @OSU, MD)
Rutgers 10-8 (@IU, PSU)
UM 9-8 (MSU, Iowa, @OSU)

Last edited by NigelUno on 2022-02-28, 09:47; edited 1 time in total
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-02-28, 08:38

USA Today has MSU as a 7 in Indy (with UK as a 2). Both IU and UM playing in Dayton (IU vs. UNC).

NCAA Tournament bracketology: Baylor leapfrogs Auburn for No. 1 seed after wild weekend
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next