Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are F***i g kidding me. 3rd best punter in the BIG wins Ray Guy award.

+3
tGreenWay
Trapper Gus
DWags
7 posters

Go down

You are F***i g kidding me. 3rd best punter in the BIG wins Ray Guy award.  Empty You are F***i g kidding me. 3rd best punter in the BIG wins Ray Guy award.

Post by DWags 2022-12-08, 21:54

I’m beginning to think an anti Spartan bias is a real thing among sports writers.

https://twitter.com/torktank/status/1601026734115401728?s=46&t=rD4jMEV53K2x4xrRAdaipQ

Last edited by DWags on 2022-12-08, 22:05; edited 1 time in total
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

You are F***i g kidding me. 3rd best punter in the BIG wins Ray Guy award.  Empty Re: You are F***i g kidding me. 3rd best punter in the BIG wins Ray Guy award.

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-12-08, 22:02

Is there anything to justify this?

Based on number of punts and tNY media market?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

You are F***i g kidding me. 3rd best punter in the BIG wins Ray Guy award.  Empty Re: You are F***i g kidding me. 3rd best punter in the BIG wins Ray Guy award.

Post by DWags 2022-12-08, 22:06

[tw]1601026734115401728?s=46&t=rD4jMEV53K2x4xrRAdaipQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-12-08, 22:10

Here is the criteria

Nominees are evaluated on their overall statistics and contribution to the team. Particular emphasis is placed on the following statistics: net average, percentage of total punts inside the 20-yard line, and percentage of punts not returned.[1] The Ray Guy Award winner is determined by a national selection committee of football writers, FBS college coaches, sports information directors, and past Ray Guy Award winners. The winner must display team leadership, self-discipline, and have a positive impact on the team’s success.[2]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-12-08, 22:11

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-12-08, 22:13

DWags wrote:Here is the criteria

Nominees are evaluated on their overall statistics and contribution to the team. Particular emphasis is placed on the following statistics: net average, percentage of total punts inside the 20-yard line, and percentage of punts not returned.[1] The Ray Guy Award winner is determined by a national selection committee of football writers, FBS college coaches, sports information directors, and past Ray Guy Award winners. The winner must display team leadership, self-discipline, and have a positive impact on the team’s success.[2]

So not the best punter... has to have "team leadership, self-discipline, and have a positive impact on the team’s success." Fuck that shit.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-12-08, 22:22

Trapper Gus wrote:
DWags wrote:Here is the criteria

So not the best punter... has to have "team leadership, self-discipline, and have a positive impact on the team’s success." Fuck that shit.

I think that allows you to vote for whomever the fuck you want to vote for
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, Nordic and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-12-08, 22:38

Anyone know if MSU even markets players for these awards? Our sports info personnel used to be absolutely horrible at it through multiple SIDs, with Lewansky or however it’s spelled being the last I was aware of. Now they’re called VPs of something, but the ability to make people outside of EL aware of our best still seems sorely lacking—especially compared with the PR machine from ann arbor.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2022-12-09, 00:19

Trapper Gus wrote:So not the best punter... has to have "team leadership, self-discipline, and have a positive impact on the team’s success." Fuck that shit.

Self-discipline is hugely important for punting awards. Baringer lost the Ray Guy Award when his jersey came untucked in the second quarter against Minnesota.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Other Teams Pursuing That, DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-12-09, 09:49

This is literally insane.  

Barringer is the best college punter, and it isn't even close.

Understand the "upstanding citizen" thing to weed out a real scumbag who might be a great punter, but don't think there is any whiff of anything bad about Barringer.

Who votes for this award?

Looks 99% sure this is UofM slappys refusing to vote for anything MSU (or OSU).
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2022-12-09, 09:55

Sucks for Barringer because he clearly deserves it, but I'm kind of okay with not being known as the school that is best at punting.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-12-09, 09:57

Cameron wrote:Sucks for Barringer because he clearly deserves it, but I'm kind of okay with not being known as the school that is best at punting.

Sort of understand that POV, but wouldn't you still like to have the best punter in the nation?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2022-12-09, 10:22

We have the best punter in the nation regardless of who wins the award.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-12-09, 10:35

Cameron wrote:We have the best punter in the nation regardless of who wins the award.

I bothers me that for whatever reason he isn't getting the national recognition.  It becomes part of the negative recruiting narrative that Tucker & the gang have to deal with, "go to MSU where your personal performance will not be awarded with individual trophies, no matter how well you do"

Last year K9, this year Barringer...
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2022-12-09, 10:43

Trapper Gus wrote:
Cameron wrote:We have the best punter in the nation regardless of who wins the award.

I bothers me that for whatever reason he isn't getting the national recognition.  It becomes part of the negative recruiting narrative that Tucker & the gang have to deal with, "go to MSU where your personal performance will not be awarded with individual trophies, no matter how well you do"

I thought he deserved the Heisman, but he DID win the Doak Walker...
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-12-09, 10:48

Cameron wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I thought he deserved the Heisman, but he DID win the Doak Walker...

Best Running Back.  

And he won the Walter Camp, Best College Player, but voted on by the coaches, not the media, but for some reason the media keeps ignoring that when they talk about him.

His performance thus far this year in the NFL suggests he was all of that.

Barringer might, or might not be drafted, but some team is going to get a steal at less money because the best punter didn't receive the award he deserved.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-12-09, 10:59

Is Baringer back next year? That is all I care about.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-12-09, 11:02

Nordic wrote:Is Baringer back next year? That is all I care about.

Is he eligible?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-12-09, 11:55

Nordic wrote:Is Baringer back next year? That is all I care about.

Bryce Baringer Bids Bye Bye
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-12-09, 13:00

Last Tuesday, Baringer became the first Spartan to win the Eddleman-Fields Big Ten Punter of the Year award. He was also named first team All-Big Ten by the league's coaches, the first MSU punter to earn that honor since the late Mike Sadler

So, the B1G Punter of the Year is beaten by a different B1G punter for the Ray Guy.  That makes less sense.  You are F***i g kidding me. 3rd best punter in the BIG wins Ray Guy award.  901027492

https://247sports.com/college/michigan-state/Article/Michigan-State-football-Bryce-Baringer-All-American-Walter-Camp-Football-Foundation-199958699/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down