Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

East Palestine OH Train

+11
DWags
Floyd Robertson
Jake from State Farm
Cameron
GRR Spartan
Rick Saunders
NigelUno
Turtleneck
Trapper Gus
RQA
Travis of the Cosmos
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

East Palestine OH Train Empty East Palestine OH Train

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-02-12, 16:29

This whole story is pretty fucked up, if you’ve heard about it this week amid the media solely focusing on scary balloons. I’m not going to pretend to be a chemist or something that can tell you that this is so fuckin bad, but the reports of people’s pets just sort of dying combined with people being told that it’s totally fine to come back to town makes me think that there might be some long term ramifications from our giant chemical fuck up near a population center.

East Palestine OH Train Snapshot-2023-02-06t172100-336
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

East Palestine OH Train Empty Re: East Palestine OH Train

Post by RQA 2023-02-12, 16:38

Maybe pipelines aren't so bad after all.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-02-12, 17:00

RQA wrote:Maybe pipelines aren't so bad after all.

Pipelines for vinyl chloride?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2023-02-12, 17:54

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Why yes vinyl chloride is transported by pipeline as well as by trucks and trains.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-02-12, 18:08

RQA wrote:

Why yes vinyl chloride is transported by pipeline as well as by trucks and trains.

No, pretty sure that’s not correct. Sure hope you’re not just being a troll here rqa 😬

Hazel Kreuz, vice president of global inorganic chemicals at Chemical Market Analytics, a consulting firm, estimates that up to 10% of the vinyl chloride made in the US is transported rather than derivatized on-site. “A small amount is exported, and some of it does move either by barge or by rail to locations that are not right at the vinyls facility for polymerization,” she says.

https://cen.acs.org/safety/Safety-questions-remain-Ohio-train/101/i6
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2023-02-12, 23:15

https://www.intratec.us/chemical-markets/vinyl-chloride-price

"Vinyl chloride is transported via pipeline, and in railroad tank cars and tanker ships."

RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-02-12, 23:49

RQA wrote:https://www.intratec.us/chemical-markets/vinyl-chloride-price

"Vinyl chloride is transported via pipeline, and in railroad tank cars and tanker ships."

Ah thank God our resident vinyl chloride expert is still mercifully here for now.

Anyway where is it transported by pipeline? I mean, I realize that the random website says it is. But many other say otherwise. You see, I’m enough of a grown up to acknowledge that I know nothing about vinyl chloride, so please, show me.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2023-02-13, 08:30

Ah thank God our resident vinyl chloride expert is still mercifully here for now.

Anyway where is it transported by pipeline? I mean, I realize that the random website says it is. But many other say otherwise. You see, I’m enough of a grown up to acknowledge that I know nothing about vinyl chloride, so please, show me.

I haven't claimed to be a vinyl chloride expert, now have I?  

Intratec is hardly a "random website".   They are well known within the chemical and petroleum industry as a provider of pricing information and commodity costs.

Here is another one.   Although you probably consider the national trade organization for those in the chlorine business just a random website.

https://bookstore.chlorineinstitute.org/pamphlet-172-liquid-vinyl-chloride-monomer-vcm-pipelines.html?Session_ID=0f87f0f78c6f39de2b9182377a07230b

Provides recommendations on the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of carbon steel pipelines that transport liquid Vinyl Chloride Monomer (VCM). The recommendations are applicable to pipelines that terminate outside the VCM shipper’s property or crosses property not owned by the shipper or receiver of the VCM.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-02-13, 08:36

RQA wrote:

Intratec is hardly a "random website".   They are well known within the chemical and petroleum industry as a provider of pricing information and commodity costs.

Here is another one.   Although you probably consider the national trade organization for those in the chlorine business just a random website.

https://bookstore.chlorineinstitute.org/pamphlet-172-liquid-vinyl-chloride-monomer-vcm-pipelines.html?Session_ID=0f87f0f78c6f39de2b9182377a07230b

Provides recommendations on the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of carbon steel pipelines that transport liquid Vinyl Chloride Monomer (VCM). The recommendations are applicable to pipelines that terminate outside the VCM shipper’s property or crosses property not owned by the shipper or receiver of the VCM.

Your argument is that instead of having a very localized train car carrying a deadly substance there should be hundreds of miles of pipeline running across the country with that deadly substance in it?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-02-13, 10:30

[tw]1623065766491746309[/tw]

The New York Post is reporting it as a disaster!

When Fox News is reporting it this way it sounds pretty bad.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/10/animals-sick-dying-near-east-palestine-ohio-train-crash/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-02-13, 10:39

Trapper Gus wrote:
RQA wrote:

Your argument is that instead of having a very localized train car carrying a deadly substance there should be hundreds of miles of pipeline running across the country with that deadly substance in it?

Not only that, but said pipeline already exists, despite no one knowing where it is

Dudes a clown
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-02-13, 10:40

Sounds pretty fucked.

[tw]1624885466469175298[/tw]
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-02-13, 11:08

Ohio you say? I guess this was a documentary.

East Palestine OH Train OIP

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2023-02-13, 11:23

Trapper Gus wrote:

No, my argument is that dangerous liquids are safer to transport by pipeline than by train or tanker truck.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2023-02-13, 11:38

Not only that, but said pipeline already exists, despite no one knowing where it is

Dudes a clown

https://olinchloralkali.com/about-us/texas-pipeline/

About Olin’s Texas Operation’s Pipelines
Olin owns and operates more than 200 miles of pipelines in Brazoria County in and around Freeport, Texas.
Except for Public Right of Way crossings, Olin’s pipelines are located within Dow’s Texas Operations facility. The property is owned and managed by Dow Chemical in Freeport, Texas.
Olin utilizes ground patrol to monitor potential dangers, along with construction and excavation activities.
Olin’s pipelines transport both liquid and gas products with the vast majority of products being hydrocarbons, which are combustible if released and exposed to an ignition source.
Products transported include:
Acetone
Anhydrous HCL
Brine (Saltwater)
Caustic
Chlorine Gas
Isopropyl Benzene (Cumene) (Liquid)
Hydrogen
Oxygen
Phenol
Vinyl chloride
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-02-13, 11:54

RQA wrote:

Dudes a clown

https://olinchloralkali.com/about-us/texas-pipeline/

About Olin’s Texas Operation’s Pipelines
Olin owns and operates more than 200 miles of pipelines in Brazoria County in and around Freeport, Texas.
Except for Public Right of Way crossings, Olin’s pipelines are located within Dow’s Texas Operations facility. The property is owned and managed by Dow Chemical in Freeport, Texas.
Olin utilizes ground patrol to monitor potential dangers, along with construction and excavation activities.
Olin’s pipelines transport both liquid and gas products with the vast majority of products being hydrocarbons, which are combustible if released and exposed to an ignition source.
Products transported include:
Acetone
Anhydrous HCL
Brine (Saltwater)
Caustic
Chlorine Gas
Isopropyl Benzene (Cumene) (Liquid)
Hydrogen
Oxygen
Phenol
Vinyl chloride

Rolling Eyes

"Except for Public Right of Way crossings, Olin’s pipelines are located within Dow’s Texas Operations facility."
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2023-02-13, 12:03

NigelUno wrote:
"Except for Public Right of Way crossings, Olin’s pipelines are located within Dow’s Texas Operations facility."

So I guess that means vinyl chloride is not transported by pipeline after all.

Last edited by RQA on 2023-02-13, 12:15; edited 1 time in total
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2023-02-13, 12:13

I don't pretend to be a chemist either and I am not an economist but the volume of vinyl chloride manufactured and used is not likely enough to justify long distance pipelines. I am familiar with some pipelines for industrial/synthetic materials but these are usually short distances between separate plants by one company where vinyl chloride (for example) is made at plant A but is then used at other plants B and C elsewhere on the complex. Obviously some plants may be owned by different companies and materials may be transported longer distances but there will never be a network of vinyl chloride pipelines criss-crossing the USA.

If there were only one two inch pipeline (that's a very small pipeline) from the Beaver County Shell ethylene cracker plant to Los Angeles the amount of vinyl chloride sitting in the pipeline is greater than the total amount of vinyl chloride produced in the world per year.

Vinyl chloride itself is not that toxic except at high concentrations which could occur close to the crash. It is a carcinogen. It is incredibly explosive with a low flash point. So that thing was going to blow up one way or another in all likelihood.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Cameron, Turtleneck and RQA like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-02-13, 14:26

RQA wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

It means exactly what it says. Keep trying/trolling though.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-02-13, 14:34

Rick Saunders wrote:I don't pretend to be a chemist either and I am not an economist but the volume of vinyl chloride manufactured and used is not likely enough to justify long distance pipelines. I am familiar with some pipelines for industrial/synthetic materials but these are usually short distances between separate plants by one company where vinyl chloride (for example) is made at plant A but is then used at other plants B and C elsewhere on the complex. Obviously some plants may be owned by different companies and materials may be transported longer distances but there will never be a network of vinyl chloride pipelines criss-crossing the USA.

If there were only one two inch pipeline (that's a very small pipeline) from the Beaver County Shell ethylene cracker plant to Los Angeles the amount of vinyl chloride sitting in the pipeline is greater than the total amount of vinyl chloride produced in the world per year.

Vinyl chloride itself is not that toxic except at high concentrations which could occur close to the crash. It is a carcinogen. It is incredibly explosive with a low flash point. So that thing was going to blow up one way or another in all likelihood.

Great post, but RQA is the most educated man on the Internet (self-proclaimed, of course) so you are wrong about this and everything else you have ever posted that RQA did not agree with.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2023-02-13, 15:26

Turtleneck wrote:
Rick Saunders wrote:I don't pretend to be a chemist either and I am not an economist but the volume of vinyl chloride manufactured and used is not likely enough to justify long distance pipelines.  I am familiar with some pipelines for industrial/synthetic materials but these are usually short distances between separate plants by one company where vinyl chloride (for example) is made at plant A but is then used at other plants B and C elsewhere on the complex. Obviously some plants may be owned by different companies and materials may be transported longer distances but there will never be a network of vinyl chloride pipelines criss-crossing the USA.

Vinyl chloride itself is not that toxic except at high concentrations which could occur close to the crash.  It is a carcinogen.  It is incredibly explosive with a low flash point.  So that thing was going to blow up one way or another in all likelihood.

Great post, but RQA is the most educated man on the Internet (self-proclaimed, of course) so you are wrong about this and everything else you have ever posted that RQA did not agree with.

1.  Not the most educated man on the Internet, just the most educated around here

2. If you care to look, I gave Rick's post a thumbs up.  

RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2023-02-13, 15:50

NigelUno wrote:
RQA wrote:

It means exactly what it says. Keep trying/trolling though.

So we know that Olin has pipelines (200 miles of them) that cross public right-of-ways. And we know that among the products they transport includes vinyl chloride.

Why is it so important to liberals that vinyl chloride not be transported in pipelines anyway?

RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-02-13, 16:21

Maybe the Russian Quisling Agent needs to be delivering those chemicals in 55 gallon drum from the back of his alleged pick up.

Much like our government's been ignoring highway bridges and water systems, they've been ignoring rail for decades. The only thing surprising about the Ohio debacle is that something like it hadn't happened recently with the same toxic results.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-02-13, 17:06

RQA wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

It means exactly what it says.  Keep trying/trolling though.  

So we know that Olin has pipelines (200 miles of them) that cross public right-of-ways.   And we know that among the products they transport includes vinyl chloride.

Why is it so important to liberals that vinyl chloride not be transported in pipelines anyway?

200 miles of pipeline are on their property.  Except for some that cross public right of ways.  You seem to be inferring that all 200 miles are used for transport from their site elsewhere.  And their pipelines are used for 10 products.  Not just 1.

Please stop trolling.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-02-13, 18:57

Rick Saunders wrote:I don't pretend to be a chemist either and I am not an economist but the volume of vinyl chloride manufactured and used is not likely enough to justify long distance pipelines.  I am familiar with some pipelines for industrial/synthetic materials but these are usually short distances between separate plants by one company where vinyl chloride (for example) is made at plant A but is then used at other plants B and C elsewhere on the complex. Obviously some plants may be owned by different companies and materials may be transported longer distances but there will never be a network of vinyl chloride pipelines criss-crossing the USA.

Vinyl chloride itself is not that toxic except at high concentrations which could occur close to the crash.  It is a carcinogen.  It is incredibly explosive with a low flash point.  So that thing was going to blow up one way or another in all likelihood.

Okay - so if they just let it drain onto the Ohio River?

And in terms of toxicants, how does it compare to other liquids that are in pipelines?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-02-16, 09:22

[tw]1626212863273766914[/tw]
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, Trapper Gus and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-02-16, 09:24

RQA wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

1.  Not the most educated man on the Internet, just the most educated around here

2. If you care to look, I gave Rick's post a thumbs up.  

1. That's a weird assumption on a board full of well-educated people.

2. I am not interested in where you put your thumb.

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2023-02-16, 09:26; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-02-16, 09:25

NigelUno wrote:

It would be great to have a database of shit like this to refer to every time the GOP gets all horny for deregulation.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2023-02-16, 10:05

Cameron wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

It would be great to have a database of shit like this to refer to every time the GOP gets all horny for deregulation.

We'd need our own server farm to keep it all of it on.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-02-16, 11:30

[tw]1626251365512015873[/tw]

ruh roh
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-02-16, 12:49

Are derailments contagious?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2023-02-16, 13:17

Turtleneck wrote:Are derailments contagious?

In terms of the consequences due to lack of maintenance, yes.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-02-16, 13:33

The fuck. That rail company would be buying my house and paying my moving expenses. No way do I live in that town, or raise a family. especially a young family.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-02-16, 13:55

This is America dwags and they’re a corporation. The shareholders profits matter more than you and your family’s painful deaths. You’ll get nothing and like it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, DWags, Turtleneck, Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-02-16, 15:39

DWags is cute when he thinks Norfolk Southern cares about his house and family, or that he stands a chance in the legal system against them. I applaud his worldview. He is good dude, but corporations are pretty evil these days.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-02-16, 15:52

Turtleneck wrote:DWags is cute when he thinks Norfolk Southern cares about his house and family, or that he stands a chance in the legal system against them. I applaud his worldview. He is good dude, but corporations are pretty evil these days.

One lawsuit has already been filed. They (and their insurance carrier) will pay. Just a matter of how much.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-02-16, 20:10

NigelUno wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:DWags is cute when he thinks Norfolk Southern cares about his house and family, or that he stands a chance in the legal system against them. I applaud his worldview. He is good dude, but corporations are pretty evil these days.

One lawsuit has already been filed. They (and their insurance carrier) will pay. Just a matter of how much.

Remember when equifax gave all of our private data away to whomever and there was a lawsuit and we all got $5.21 compensation? Lol fun times
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-02-16, 20:25

NigelUno wrote:

Remember when equifax gave all of our private data away to whomever and there was a lawsuit and we all got $5.21 compensation? Lol fun times

I'll take the over.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-02-16, 21:45

I keep recalling that since the 1980 Presidential election there have been pols telling us that US businesses and corporations are over taxed and over regulated,

The part of the pitch is business knows their challenges  better than any government entity and if they can self-regulate better than having interference caused by rules comng from the DOT, EPA, FDA and FEC.

How’s that working out?
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-02-16, 22:49

NigelUno wrote:

I'll take the over.

Is it your contention that the legal system is fair and does not favor corporations, or are you being disagreeable just to be disagreeable?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next