Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is with the names people give their kids these days

+13
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
Dendrobates
Floyd Robertson
Cameron
Turtleneck
kingstonlake
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
duffy munn
Motown Spartan
Trapper Gus
Travis of the Cosmos
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is with the names people give their kids these days Empty What is with the names people give their kids these days

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:30 am

I mean come on, fuck.

I don’t know any of your real names or what you named your spawn, so sorry.

But come on, fuck

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/parenting/a37641039/top-baby-boy-names/

Just scrolling through this article to get to the top 1000 had some mortifying suggestions. Once you get to the top 1000, the first 20 are eh, sorta trendy but relatively normal names. Then you start getting in to the weird shit. It’s just wild, I’ll let you pursue on your own time. Here’s the problem, to me. Let’s say you’re at work, and you get a resume from Brayden or Colt or Dash. Imagine that person that emailed you about the job opening in your head. You just pictured some 20 year old shit that is still going back to his alma mater on the weekends to party (which, great for Augustus, but there are career ramifications for someone always assuming you’re a fuck o based on your name.) Could Asher be a 50 year old man? Yeah I guess. But no one pretends like that’s actually the case, everyone knows it’s a 22 year old shit.

Maybe it’s a me old man yells at cloud thing and since the entire world will be Hudson and Grayson eventually it won’t be as big of a problem. But I just think people need to take a second before they name their children that they won’t be in a crib eating pooping and puking all night forever and that eventually this person will be a grown up and you should plan their name accordingly.

Also I don’t think it’s as big of a problem for girls names, other than spelling Alexa “Alyxsa” or some shit
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

What is with the names people give their kids these days Empty Re: What is with the names people give their kids these days

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:43 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I mean come on, fuck.

But come on, fuck

Just scrolling through this article to get to the top 1000 had some mortifying suggestions. Once you get to the top 1000, the first 20 are eh, sorta trendy but relatively normal names. Then you start getting in to the weird shit. It’s just wild, I’ll let you pursue on your own time. Here’s the problem, to me. Let’s say you’re at work, and you get a resume from Brayden or Colt or Dash. Imagine that person that emailed you about the job opening in your head. You just pictured some 20 year old shit that is still going back to his alma mater on the weekends to party (which, great for Augustus, but there are career ramifications for someone always assuming you’re a fuck o based on your name.) Could Asher be a 50 year old man? Yeah I guess. But no one pretends like that’s actually the case, everyone knows it’s a 22 year old shit.

Maybe it’s a me old man yells at cloud thing and since the entire world will be Hudson and Grayson eventually it won’t be as big of a problem. But I just think people need to take a second before they name their children that they won’t be in a crib eating pooping and puking all night forever and that eventually this person will be a grown up and you should plan their name accordingly.

Also I don’t think it’s as big of a problem for girls names, other than spelling Alexa “Alyxsa” or some shit

Making assumptions about people based on their name is stupid.

Given that I'm pretty sure that Misty & Tiffinay are always strippers and Biff is always a white Anglo-Saxon at an Ivy. /s
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

What is with the names people give their kids these days Empty Re: What is with the names people give their kids these days

Post by Motown Spartan Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:45 am

The title of that piece “The Top 1,000 Baby Boy Names as Unique and as Cute as He Is” is so ironic and the author clearly doesn’t get it. A list of popular names, by definition, makes them common and exactly the opposite of unique, just like the vast majority of babies.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:48 am

Trapper Gus wrote:

But come on, fuck

Given that I'm pretty sure that Misty & Tiffinay are always strippers and Biff is always a white Anglo-Saxon at an Ivy. /s

Of course it is. But you know that Jace doesn’t remember 9/11 right? Like let’s be real. Brooks has never even seen a phone that couldnt access his email
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:49 am

My grand daughers have old school names. Gloria and Cecilia
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:53 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Of course it is. But you know that Jace doesn’t remember 9/11 right? Like let’s be real. Brooks has never even seen a phone that couldn't access his email

Having ancestors named "Thankful", "Forgiveness", "Seth" & "Zeno" I can attest that every generation has its favs.

How about "Moon Unit"?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:55 am

duffy munn wrote:My grand daughers have old school names. Gloria and Cecilia

And we are back to the 1920's - you know they will grow up as housewives or flappers. /s
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:58 am

I think they're coming back in vogue now.  Clare. Elizabeth, Nancy etc.  I see that alot.

Here is what I found.  When I buy a new car, I start to notice how many people have my same type of new car.  I never noticed that before.  When We named our children, it was the same thing.  I started noticing how many other children at or near their age had the same name.  Even some with the same middle.  

Is what it is.  

Dont' know if this is true or not, but I hear in HR departments sometimes if they can't pronounce a name on a resume they don't have that resume on tip of the stack.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:58 am

What is with the names people give their kids these days 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5d8jdpt0mrudtvrzdlfzr3w74ynbsxptbrrwvjl2l&rid=200
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:01 am

Well I can tell you we settled on Sophia for 8 months. Then it seemed like everyone was naming their daughters to be, Sophia. So we switched at the last minute. I can guarantee you that you don’t know any other girl with her name. So I might be one of “those” people…..
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:04 am

My wife’s grandparents are from Ireland.

She suggested Irelyn as our daughters name. I said you know, I don’t hate that.

Irelyn it is.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:07 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:What is with the names people give their kids these days 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5d8jdpt0mrudtvrzdlfzr3w74ynbsxptbrrwvjl2l&rid=200

Thanks for your input Silas
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:09 am

DWags wrote:

I think they're coming back in vogue now.  Clare. Elizabeth, Nancy etc.  I see that alot.

Here is what I found.  When I buy a new car, I start to notice how many people have my same type of new car.  I never noticed that before.  When We named our children, it was the same thing.  I started noticing how many other children at or near their age had the same name.  Even some with the same middle.  

Is what it is.  

Dont' know if this is true or not, but I hear in HR departments sometimes if they can't pronounce a name on a resume they don't have that resume on tip of the stack.

Yeah I mean this is what I’m getting at. Like it or not, right or wrong, this could certainly happen. Why would you put them at a disadvantage, or even slight possible disadvantage, just because you think Kayden is just adorbs. (Probably because they don’t look into the future past the adorable cooing phase)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:12 am

I feel attacked. My name is Turtleneck, Turtleneck Williams III.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:39 am

I don't really care what you name your kid, but I do care how you spell it. "Unique" spellings for existing names drive me nuts. It's not cool and unique, it's wrong and stupid. Just spell it right.

Also, the name Stephen should not exist. You can be Steven, or you can be Stefan. Get that PH bullshit out of my face.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:43 am

Cameron wrote:I don't really care what you name your kid, but I do care how you spell it. "Unique" spellings for existing names drive me nuts. It's not cool and unique, it's wrong and stupid. Just spell it right.

Also, the name Stephen should not exist. You can be Steven, or you can be Stefan. Get that PH bullshit out of my face.

Same goes for creating backward names from regular words. Yes, I'm looking at all the parents who named their daughters Neveah.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:49 am

Cameron wrote:I don't really care what you name your kid, but I do care how you spell it. "Unique" spellings for existing names drive me nuts. It's not cool and unique, it's wrong and stupid. Just spell it right.

Just guessing, but spelling variations can be cultural. In some parts of Spain, the name Xavior is diminutively pronounced Charley.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:57 am

I don't speak enough Spanish to dispute that, but I don't see how those dots connect.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:02 am

Never thought I would see the day when Cam argues people should be named Steve.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos, Cameron, Other Teams Pursuing That, tGreenWay, Trapper Gus and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:03 am

Cameron wrote:I don't speak enough Spanish to dispute that, but I don't see how those dots connect.

All I know is what some Xaviors I used to work with who lived in Spain told me, so it has a limited sample size.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:23 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
DWags wrote:

Is what it is.  

Yeah I mean this is what I’m getting at. Like it or not, right or wrong, this could certainly happen. Why would you put them at a disadvantage, or even slight possible disadvantage, just because you think Kayden is just adorbs. (Probably because they don’t look into the future past the adorable cooing phase)

You SOB. There’s nothing wrong with naming your kid after a lake in remote Canada. I only know this because I’ve fished it….
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:23 am

What about Aaron and Blake?
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:33 am

Turtleneck wrote: Never thought I would see the day when Cam argues people should be named Steve.

What is with the names people give their kids these days 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5t3kphkegygw5wal551ojw9z4rjck94x8s6ofbjyj&rid=200
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:41 am

Trapper Gus wrote:

But come on, fuck

Damn it all.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, tGreenWay, duffy munn and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:46 am

Dendrobates wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Damn it all.

What’s your favorite lap dance song?
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:51 am

Dendrobates wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Damn it all.

With your freewheeling rep it is equally likely you named your girls these names, or that you didn't. Wink
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:11 am

Dendrobates wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Damn it all.

What is with the names people give their kids these days 502811600
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:23 am

What is with the names people give their kids these days 502811600 It’s grumpy old man day at tSwill. What is with the names people give their kids these days 1966794946
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Floyd Robertson, Other Teams Pursuing That and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:20 pm

my wife bought some sort of hand soap for the kitchen called "Honey and Warm Ginger"...

I was like, "what the fuck? I thought Honey and Warm Ginger were working their way through dental school"?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:17 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:my wife bought some sort of hand soap for the kitchen called "Honey and Warm Ginger"...

I was like, "what the fuck? I thought Honey and Warm Ginger were working their way through dental school"?

That's probably one of the places where you don't have to worry about kids named after firearms showing up.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:41 pm

tGreenWay wrote:What is with the names people give their kids these days 502811600 It’s grumpy old man day at tSwill. What is with the names people give their kids these days 1966794946

That’s every day.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay, DWags, Trapper Gus and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:44 pm

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:my wife bought some sort of hand soap for the kitchen called "Honey and Warm Ginger"...

That's probably one of the places where you don't have to worry about kids named after firearms showing up.
Jake from State Farm wrote:

I didn’t think too hard about why Weston is 95th on the list but that’s it isn’t it? Fuckin hell
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:49 pm

i prefer biblical names, myself.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:09 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:i prefer biblical names, myself.

Jesus Christ OTPT, you’ve got to be kidding.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That, tGreenWay, duffy munn, Turtleneck and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:53 pm

I have always though naming a kid was extremely difficult.  It may have to do with the fact that I have never liked my given name.

When picking our daughter's name it was definitely a consideration - we wanted something that was unusual, but something that everyone had heard before.  We did not want something that would date her to a specific decade.

The name we chose has historically been a 200th-500th most popular baby name in the US, but has never been in the top 100.  It is the French version of a Jewish name, my wife is Jewish, my mother was French.

Social Security Administration Most Popular Baby Names
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:20 pm

Yet you still held out your hand and made them squirt on you.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:08 pm

My kids ended up with what might be considered Jewish names from the Old Testament, not intentionally, as one was named for an MSU football player whose name we liked and the others were named for ancestors who we admired.

If I was naming kids now I would go with the staples from the 1950s like Mary, Thomas & Carol.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:15 pm

anyone call their kid something different than their actual name?

99% of the time, my wife and I call our daughter by her first initial. Probably since she was 2-3 years old.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:34 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:anyone call their kid something different than their actual name?

99% of the time, my wife and I call our daughter by her first initial. Probably since she was 2-3 years old.

It’s possible my wife doesn’t even remember my first name since she’s always calling me Dummy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:37 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:anyone call their kid something different than their actual name?

In my giant family everyone has a nickname. I almost never call any of my siblings or nieces and nephews by their actual name. And certainly not my sons unless it's a very serious topic or I'm pissed at them.

As for my Cecilia and Gloria, they became CC and GG pretty much at birth.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next