Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

States, Communities & Nations Banning Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) Vehicles

+2
Robert J Sakimano
Trapper Gus
6 posters

Go down

States, Communities & Nations Banning Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) Vehicles  Empty States, Communities & Nations Banning Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) Vehicles

Post by Trapper Gus Sat 29 Apr 2023 - 8:56

This could be part of the EV Thread, but although related it seems different enough to merit it's own thread, so here it is.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — New big rigs and buses that run on diesel would not be sold in California starting in 2036, according to new rules approved by state regulators Friday to wean the state off fossil fuels and combat climate change.

The truck emissions vote follows the California Air Resources Board’s approval Thursday of a rule phasing out decades-old diesel locomotives and a transition to more zero-emission technology to power trains that transport food, lumber, oil and other products.

https://apnews.com/article/california-truck-drayage-emissions-climate-change-ab703c7f6274e35d408e020c7a1a823e

TM has talked about this, so maybe he will add a list of places this is occurring.

In the US California has been a leader in pollution control and other automotive standards for decades, due to the size of the market there.  The California Air Resources Board (CARB) have driven automotive standards far beyond just air quality, as their standards have also included reparability for some odd reason.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on Wed 3 May 2023 - 17:03; edited 3 times in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

States, Communities & Nations Banning Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) Vehicles  Empty Re: States, Communities & Nations Banning Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) Vehicles

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 2 May 2023 - 12:04

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/states-banning-new-gas-powered-cars/

California will require all new cars, SUVs and pickup trucks sold in the state to generate zero tailpipe emissions by 2035. Approved by the California Air Resources Board in August, the policy won't take existing gas-powered cars off the road, but automakers and car dealers will be restricted to selling electric vehicles and certain plug-in hybrids.

Regulators aren't slamming the brakes on internal-combustion engine autos all at once, though: The Advanced Clean Cars II rule requires zero-emission vehicles to represent 35% of new cars and light trucks in the state by 2026 and 68% by 2030, before reaching 100% in 2035.

Seventeen states follow California's rules, but so far only Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon and Washington have announced they'll enforce the Advanced Clean Cars II rule and prohibit the sale of new gasoline-powered vehicles.

In November, the Vermont legislature approved changes to clean-car requirements that would require new cars sold in the state to be zero-emission vehicles by 2030, WCAX reported. It's not yet clear, however, if the rule change has been approved by Secretary of State Sarah Copeland Hanzas.

Colorado has adopted California's zero-emission policies in the past, but Gov. Jared Polis has rejected the idea of a ban.

In Virginia, the outlook is more muddled: Republican lawmakers are fighting to decouple the state from California's emissions rules, but their last bill was defeated in February.

And while Minnesota's 2021 Clean Car Rule links it to California's standards, it doesn't automatically trigger a ban on ICE vehicles.

The regulations require automakers and car dealers to stop selling new gasoline-powered cars by 2035. But they don't force anyone to stop driving their current automobile or prevent them from buying a used car. They also don't prevent you from buying a car in another state and registering it locally.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

States, Communities & Nations Banning Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) Vehicles  Empty Re: States, Communities & Nations Banning Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) Vehicles

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 2 May 2023 - 12:14

wished it could have been done a couple of decades back, but this sounds like a good idea to me.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 2 May 2023 - 13:00

Eventually Texas and Florida will have more electoral college votes than California. I'm guessing by 2036....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue 2 May 2023 - 13:46

kingstonlake wrote:Eventually Texas and Florida will have more electoral college votes than California. I'm guessing by 2036....

IDK, after Texas secedes and FL is under water it might still be CA and then GA as people flee FL..
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 2 May 2023 - 13:50

kingstonlake wrote:Eventually Texas and Florida will have more electoral college votes than California. I'm guessing by 2036....
if the 'pro-life' christians in Texas and Florida keep sponsoring the murder of children, their potential electorate begins to dry up down the road.

then, as Floyd said, climate change and "I'm going to start my own country 'cause freedom" will play a factor, as well.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue 2 May 2023 - 15:27

Floyd Robertson wrote:

IDK, after Texas secedes and FL is under water it might still be CA and then GA as people flee FL..
NC is a popular place that a lot of FL people are moving to. I could see that state becoming a bit more purple than it has in the past. I'm already trying to think of places to move. If I can get it in writing that I'm WFH permanently I'd consider moving to Oregon, or somewhere on the west coast.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 2 May 2023 - 15:42

InTenSity wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

NC is a popular place that a lot of FL people are moving to. I could see that state becoming a bit more purple than it has in the past. I'm already trying to think of places to move. If I can get it in writing that I'm WFH permanently I'd consider moving to Oregon, or somewhere on the west coast.

Seems like most of the people in management don't like WFH, my guess is that they like having power over other people in person.

Oregon & Washington are very split states, very liberal west of the mountains and very conservative east of the mountains.  California has splits like that, too.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 2 May 2023 - 15:55

InTenSity wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

North Carolina is a great state (and not just because it's my favorite state) - a lot more blue than most folks know. Highly educated population in and around Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill.. a big city in Charlotte - a banking hub of North America, really. The beauty of the mountains, the coast (if you enjoy sand).

the problem with the state is the gerrymandering, hence their battle every election cycle to be seen as the up and coming progressive-trending state that North Carolina really is. That was cured that recently and the state legislature became much more representative of the population as a whole.

then, of course, the knuckle-scraping state supreme court got involved last week.

NC Supreme Court Sides With GOP Lawmakers on Elections and Voting

The court on Friday issued rulings on partisan gerrymandering, voter ID, and voting rights for people on parole.  

Caution: Mainstream Media Link

so.. if ya ever end up that way, lemme know and I can probably arrange a tour of my childhood home for ya.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 2 May 2023 - 16:02

The United States needs to eliminate gerrymandering by political parties.  If Biden can create a big blue wave maybe we will.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 3 May 2023 - 6:19

Trapper Gus wrote:The United States needs to eliminate gerrymandering by political parties.  If Biden can create a big blue wave maybe we will.
working actively to suppress and disenfranchise the electorate is genuinely the only thing republicans have.

Decent folks need to stomp them out like the plague.

(Which, oddly enough, republicans also supported).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 3 May 2023 - 9:21

How can local and state authorities ban vehicles from a federal agency? Is this enforceable if the federal agency has jurisdiction over the law being enforced?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 3 May 2023 - 9:56

Turtleneck wrote:How can local and state authorities ban vehicles from a federal agency? Is this enforceable if the federal agency has jurisdiction over the law being enforced?

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) – created by Gov. Ronald Reagan in 1968 – won’t explicitly ban gasoline- or diesel-powered cars. Instead, it will require that all new cars sold in the state by 2035 be free of greenhouse gas emissions.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 3 May 2023 - 10:03

What does that have to do with ICE vehicles?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 3 May 2023 - 11:12

Turtleneck wrote:What does that have to do with ICE vehicles?

ICE - Internal Combustion Engines
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 3 May 2023 - 15:21

ICE is Immigration and Customs Enforcement, bro. I don’t know why you’re so fixated on what the agents drive.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 3 May 2023 - 16:16

Turtleneck wrote:ICE is Immigration and Customs Enforcement, bro. I don’t know why you’re so fixated on what the agents drive.

lol
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed 3 May 2023 - 16:56

I was just as confused as TN. You don't even say ICE when visiting farming fields and touring packing plants.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 3 May 2023 - 16:59

InTenSity wrote:I was just as confused as TN. You don't even say ICE when visiting farming fields and touring packing plants.

I'm seeing the confusion, the term is common in Electric  Vehicle / Internal Combustion Engine vehicle discussion but from the outside it is a unknown TLA.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down