Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lansing is cited as the Number One City for Work From Home

+8
Trapper Gus
Robert J Sakimano
AvgMSUJoe
GRR Spartan
NigelUno
InTenSity
Motown Spartan
Turtleneck
12 posters

Go down

Lansing is cited as the Number One City for Work From Home Empty Lansing is cited as the Number One City for Work From Home

Post by Trapper Gus Mon May 15, 2023 9:25 am

Too bad Penn stopped posting, this would be an epic meltdown for him.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/13/shifting-to-life-post-covid-how-remote-work-transformed-this-city-in-the-midwest.html
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Lansing is cited as the Number One City for Work From Home Empty Re: Lansing is cited as the Number One City for Work From Home

Post by Turtleneck Mon May 15, 2023 11:51 am

Is this because nobody likes having to leave their home to go work in Lansing?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Lansing is cited as the Number One City for Work From Home Empty Re: Lansing is cited as the Number One City for Work From Home

Post by Motown Spartan Mon May 15, 2023 12:13 pm

But how does it rank as a Big Ben city?
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Mon May 15, 2023 1:34 pm

My office was taken down 2 months ago. No one ever contacted me to let me know where my new office would be. Apparently, it is now very important that I return to the office. Not because my boss wants me there, he isn't even in Florida. It is because upper management wants people back in teh office. They told a coworker of mine, who doesn't want to come back that she has to come back. Only they don't really have anywhere for her to sit, so they are putting her next to the restrooms. Corporate America sucks. I always assume that I get the best results from unhappy people. They are willing to go that extra mile because you force them to work in shitty conditions.
So I guess I won't be moving to Lansing.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon May 15, 2023 2:33 pm

InTenSity wrote:My office was taken down 2 months ago. No one ever contacted me to let me know where my new office would be. Apparently, it is now very important that I return to the office. Not because my boss wants me there, he isn't even in Florida. It is because upper management wants people back in teh office. They told a coworker of mine, who doesn't want to come back that she has to come back. Only they don't really have anywhere for her to sit, so they are putting her next to the restrooms. Corporate America sucks. I always assume that I get the best results from unhappy people. They are willing to go that extra mile because you force them to work in shitty conditions.
So I guess I won't be moving to Lansing.

It always felt like either power games or that they had their heads where the sun doesn't shine.

Place I used to work was run by a bunch of former factory management and sales management. Neither know how to build a team of professionals. Factory management though everything ran like mass production and sales management was all about power games.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon May 15, 2023 2:38 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:Too bad Penn stopped posting, this would be an epic meltdown for him.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/13/shifting-to-life-post-covid-how-remote-work-transformed-this-city-in-the-midwest.html

Not buying it. That study seems a tad flawed.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon May 15, 2023 7:01 pm

I kinda dig Lansing. I like my job. I like only going to the office one day a week (essentially for a nice lunch)... I'm pretty content to be here until I'm done. & Downtown isn't horrible anymore.
If I were young and single and never wanted the joys of lawn maintenance, I'd think about one of those apartments downtown... eager to see what happens with the 2 new venues going up....
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:29 am

Lansing is cited as the Number One City for Work From Home Scree205
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:36 am

my wife's physical office was located was on the westside of Lansing, off of Creyts (she contracts with the state of Michigan). She hasn't pulled into the parking lot since March of 2020. Works 100% from home.

I think her work was trying to sort of 'force' (for lack of a better word) them to come back at some point, but when they got almost union-like pushback from their employees, they backed off. Since then, I think they've kinda sold off parts of their building and really just use certain areas of the office to house servers and some technical areas that might be required to be on site.

She prefers working from home.. I can't stand it. I don't sit still well and it drove me insane. Moreover, I feel like my work is more natural, more impactful in person.

From what I can tell, talking with friends, etc - a lot of workplaces are offering options for work/life balance and creating a culture of happiness within their workforce.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:35 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:From what I can tell, talking with friends, etc - a lot of workplaces are offering options for work/life balance and creating a culture of happiness within their workforce.

Until the recession really hits and they start laying people off and the job market starts becoming competitive again and people realize they will have to do whatever it takes to keep a job and a paycheck. It's cyclical, it will always be cyclical, we just happen to be on an exponential rise of productivity due to technology and corporate America hasn't figured out a way to manage it just yet.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:43 am

The job market is very competitive right now.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:48 am

COVID was a huge win for employees. (scratch)

My workplace would have never have "remote only" work prior to COVID (I asked... and even then the boss didn't have problems, but office politics would have made it problematic) This forced the hand.

Also, I work in one of those buildings that can't/won't ever be used for any other purpose than what it was built for... so they can't even cut costs. When I go in for a day and I'm the only person on the floor.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:01 am

Trapper Gus wrote:The job market is very competitive right now.

Not relative to high unemployment recession job markets.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:50 am

Motown Spartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:From what I can tell, talking with friends, etc - a lot of workplaces are offering options for work/life balance and creating a culture of happiness within their workforce.

Until the recession really hits and they start laying people off and the job market starts becoming competitive again and people realize they will have to do whatever it takes to keep a job and a paycheck. It's cyclical, it will always be cyclical, we just happen to be on an exponential rise of productivity due to technology and corporate America hasn't figured out a way to manage it just yet.
I plan on stickin' it to The (White) Man.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:16 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:Too bad Penn stopped posting, this would be an epic meltdown for him.
“But when will fast food workers be able to work from home?????”

“I’m so sick of millennials they generalize people all the time”

There, it’s everything you’re missing out on. I hope you feel better.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:22 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
“But when will fast food workers be able to work from home?????”

“I’m so sick of millennials they generalize people all the time”

There, it’s everything you’re missing out on. I hope you feel better.
I can't say I remember Penn's posting style/narratives, but this fills in some cracks. Lansing is cited as the Number One City for Work From Home 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:49 pm

Motown Spartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:The job market is very competitive right now.

That the competition is between the owners for the employees still means it is a competitive market.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:09 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

That the competition is between the owners for the employees still means it is a competitive market.

A competitive job market is when there are more job seekers than there are jobs available and you know this is the definition I meant.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:36 am

Motown Spartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

A competitive job market is when there are more job seekers than there are jobs available and you know this is the definition I meant.

I see.  

Just seems to me any market where there are shortages on either the supply or the demand side becomes competitive, but you be you.

edit - thinking about it, it seems to me we are talking about either "buyers" or "sellers" markets, and a competitive market is more like when there are enough buyers & sellers that neither side can unilaterally set the prices.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:10 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

I see.  

Just seems to me any market where there are shortages on either the supply or the demand side becomes competitive, but you be you.

edit - thinking about it, it seems to me we are talking about either "buyers" or "sellers" markets, and a competitive market is more like when there are enough buyers & sellers that neither side can unilaterally set the prices.

A competitive job market exists when there is competition for open jobs. When there is high unemployment and low job openings, job seekers are more willing to make concessions like giving up remote work options.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:54 pm

Steecase, Herman Miller and Haworth are all very aware of the changes the work from home and hybrid schedules have done to office vacancies and the drop in the need for office furniture.

A friend who is wrapping up his 25 years with Steelcase said they are facing two major issues.
The drop in office population caused by work at home.

There's a glut of Steelcase/Herman Miller furniture being bought from companies who've left whole building. The buyers take the chairs/desks/ file cabinets to their own plants. Disassemble, clean, repaint/refurbish then sell competing against the original manufacturers with their own stuff.

Steelcase sees it as a confluence of the availability of high speed internet for the home, the move to laptops for many office workers and flat screens that have dropped in price then COVID hit.

Many workers were told to take their company issued laptops and 1-3 flat screens to work from home because the offices were effectively closed. Turns out many workers were pretty effective from home. They have the numbers to prove it.

Its like Zoom meetings gutted office catering, destination company meetings have dropped taking hits for business travel and hotels that were their venues.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:16 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:Steecase, Herman Miller and Haworth are all very aware of the changes the work from home and hybrid schedules have done to office vacancies and the drop in the need for office furniture.

A friend who is wrapping up his 25 years with Steelcase said they are facing two major issues.
The drop in office population caused by work at home.

There's a glut of Steelcase/Herman Miller furniture being bought from companies who've left whole building. The buyers take the chairs/desks/ file cabinets to their own plants. Disassemble, clean, repaint/refurbish then sell competing against the original manufacturers with their own stuff.

Steelcase sees it as a confluence of the availability of high speed internet for the home, the move to laptops for many office workers and flat screens that have dropped in price then COVID hit.

Many workers were told to take their company issued laptops and 1-3 flat screens to work from home because the offices were effectively closed. Turns out many workers were pretty effective from home. They have the numbers to prove it.

Its like Zoom meetings gutted office catering, destination company meetings have dropped taking hits for business travel and hotels that were their venues.

There are significant increases in productivity due to work from home, some of which are showing up in the economic numbers for the United States. Old fashioned businesses, like GM, where the CEO's are fighting the trends, are adding expense to their balance sheets.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:27 am

Just 6 out of 158 U.S. CEOs said they'll prioritize bringing workers back to the office full-time in 2024, according to a new survey released by the Conference Board.

Why it matters: Executives are increasingly resigned to a world where employees don't come in every day, as hybrid work arrangements — mixing work from home and in-office — become the norm for knowledge workers.

Zoom in: "Maintain hybrid work," was cited as a priority by 27% of the U.S. CEOs who responded to the survey, conducted in October and November.

A separate survey of chief financial officers by Deloitte, conducted in November, found that 65% of CFOs expect their company to offer a hybrid arrangement this year.
State of play: "Remote work appears likely to be the most persistent economic legacy of the pandemic," write Goldman Sachs economists in a recent note.

About 20%-25% of workers in the U.S. work from home at least part of the week, according to data Goldman cites.
That's below a peak of 47% during the pandemic but well above its prior average of around 3%.

https://www.axios.com/2024/01/16/ceo-return-to-office-wars
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:32 pm

God bless America!!!
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:55 am

No, office mandates don’t help companies make more money, study finds

Sorry old crunchy jealous retirees... no more need to project issues on us work from home winners.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, Cameron and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:20 pm

I work remote maybe once a week. That's about my limit - I don't enjoy, as I find it even harder to stay focused. On the days I do work remote, it's basically writing, documentation.  But I do like the flexibility on the (maybe) one day. Throw on some laundry, do stuff around the house when I need a break.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:18 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I work remote maybe once a week. That's about my limit - I don't enjoy, as I find it even harder to stay focused. On the days I do work remote, it's basically writing, documentation.  But I do like the flexibility on the (maybe) one day. Throw on some laundry, do stuff around the house when I need a break.

Tell me if I'm wrong but you seem like a guy who can walk to work.

Work from home is a real timesaver if you have a 30 minute plus commute.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:52 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I work remote maybe once a week. That's about my limit - I don't enjoy, as I find it even harder to stay focused. On the days I do work remote, it's basically writing, documentation.  But I do like the flexibility on the (maybe) one day. Throw on some laundry, do stuff around the house when I need a break.

Tell me if I'm wrong but you seem like a guy who can walk to work.

Work from home is a real timesaver if you have a 30 minute plus commute.
Lansing is cited as the Number One City for Work From Home 3493939353

and, yes, I totally get the timesaver thing. Not only the time of the commute but, this time of year, road conditions, etc., can be a huge factor not only in additional time, but frustration and stress.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:55 pm

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/02/rto-doesnt-improve-company-value-but-does-make-employees-miserable-study/

Study appears to show that insecure bosses who want to blame employees for poor company performance are more likely to require RTO.

Fits with what I am reading about for Ford & GM
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:53 pm

I just saw this thread for the first time. #1 work from home city. Hurray! What an accomplishment. Maybe this is why you never hear anyone say “I want to move to Lansing”. I’m sure MSU has something to do with this. Congratulations. Right up there with Mel Tucker and Larry Nassar for newsworthy items. Has anyone ever said “Let’s go on vacation to a place where everybody works from home!”? No
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:56 pm

I don't know anyone who chooses vacation destinations based on the working arrangements of the local citizenry. That would be fucking bizarre.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:09 pm

Cameron wrote:I don't know anyone who chooses vacation destinations based on the working arrangements of the local citizenry. That would be fucking bizarre.
Really? So you would spend money at a place where there are no restaurants or hotels because everyone works from home? You’re more adventurous than me.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:12 pm

This is definitely the reason that lansing Michigan isn’t a tourism Mecca you’ve nailed it
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:16 pm

Supposedly there’s something in the works where we may become 100% remote. Not sure how my customers will feel about this with them not knowing where the fuck I’m sitting at any given moment when they call.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:17 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:This is definitely the reason that lansing Michigan isn’t a tourism Mecca you’ve nailed it

Gotta be the overwhelming demand from people working at McDonalds and the Hampton inn to work from home.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down