Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apparently, you can just buy land with wetlands and fill it in, consequences be damned.

+3
Trapper Gus
TravelinMan
sεяεηιτλ
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Apparently, you can just buy land with wetlands and fill it in, consequences be damned. Empty Apparently, you can just buy land with wetlands and fill it in, consequences be damned.

Post by sεяεηιτλ 25/05/23, 12:52 pm

Scotus narrowed wetland regulation under the clean water act ruling in favor of landowners that wanted to build on land they purchased that had wetlands on it. Their reasoning was that the clean water act extends only to those wetlands with a continuous surface connection to bodies that are waters of the United States.

To that, I say l, is complete and utter horse shit and they are acting like they are isolated systems. They are not. The whole point of wetland regulation is because none of them are truly isolated. You fill in one wetland, the water doesn't just magically disappear. The water has to go somewhere. Therefore even isolated wetlands can dramatically effect other properties with flooding, etc, if they are filled in. It's why properties with extensive wetlands are always for sale, they are worthless and unusable unless there's a big study or plan in place for what to do with the water. Here it sounds like because these property owners had the bad sense to buy property that can't be built on, they are rewarding them with the right to build. Consequences be damned. Unbelievable. I have to believe this opens up a lot of land to build on and a lot of new flooding problems.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/25/politics/supreme-court-wetlands-authority-epa/index.html
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Apparently, you can just buy land with wetlands and fill it in, consequences be damned. Empty Re: Apparently, you can just buy land with wetlands and fill it in, consequences be damned.

Post by TravelinMan 25/05/23, 01:11 pm

As someone who has attempted to negotiate a similar issue, I like that they're attempting to put a definition around "wetland." As someone who's concerned about the environment, I'm not sure I LIKE the new definition, but at least we're getting some clarity and not just leaving it up to the whim of local bureaucrats.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Apparently, you can just buy land with wetlands and fill it in, consequences be damned. Empty Re: Apparently, you can just buy land with wetlands and fill it in, consequences be damned.

Post by Trapper Gus 25/05/23, 01:58 pm

The local buracrats (of the US EPA) have a whole library of regulations based on science and public comments they must follow, so your dismissive characterization is a bit over the top.

The court just ruled that reality doesn't matter.  Since it was 9 - 0 there must be something in the law that supports that.

Okay, ignore the second part, the vote was 5 - 4. Even one of the religious fascists on the court was reality based on this one.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 25/05/23, 02:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 25/05/23, 02:02 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:The local buracrats (of the US EPA) have a whole library of regulations based on science and public comments they must follow, so your dismissive characterization is a bit over the top.

The court just ruled that reality doesn't matter.  Since it was 9 - 0 there must be something in the law that supports that.

9-0?  it was 5-4, unless you are referring to something else. 9 justices thought the land owners in this case should be allowed but the 4 did not want to narrow the law to do it.

I hope this doesn't open tons of land to development.  The last thing we need is more wetland destruction and if you are going to, it needs to be mitigated
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 25/05/23, 02:06 pm

sεяεηιτλ wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:The local buracrats (of the US EPA) have a whole library of regulations based on science and public comments they must follow, so your dismissive characterization is a bit over the top.

9-0?  it was 5-4, unless you are referring to something else.

I hope this doesn't open tons of land to development.  The last thing we need is more wetland destruction and if you are going to, it needs to be motigated

Only heard part of the news, there must have been a different ruling that was 9 - 0. Heard that it was 5 - 4 and modified my post while you were posting.

Having just heard that the ruling was 9 - 0 for the homeowners and the 5 - 4 ruling was on a broader issue.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 25/05/23, 05:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 25/05/23, 02:12 pm

sεяεηιτλ wrote:Scotus narrowed wetland regulation under the clean water act ruling in favor of landowners that wanted to build on land they purchased that had wetlands on it. Their reasoning was that the clean water act extends only to those wetlands with a continuous surface connection to bodies that are waters of the United States.

To that, I say l, is complete and utter horse shit and they are acting like they are isolated systems. They are not. The whole point of wetland regulation is because none of them are truly isolated. You fill in one wetland, the water doesn't just magically disappear. The water has to go somewhere. Therefore even isolated wetlands can dramatically effect other properties with flooding, etc, if they are filled in. It's why properties with extensive wetlands are always for sale, they are worthless and unusable unless there's a big study or plan in place for what to do with the water. Here it sounds like because these property owners had the bad sense to buy property that can't be built on, they are rewarding them with the right to build. Consequences be damned. Unbelievable. I have to believe this opens up a lot of land to build on and a lot of new flooding problems.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/25/politics/supreme-court-wetlands-authority-epa/index.html

On the other hand it's nice to know the Supreme Court will be ruling that student loan debt forgiveness is constitutional. The "its not my fault you took out a bad student loan." Excuse has been obliterated
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 25/05/23, 02:13 pm

Okay, ignore the second part, the vote was 5 - 4. Even one of the religious fascists on the court was reality based on this one.

Yeah, I've talked to the people with the "whole library of regulations based on science and public comments" and I can tell you, it's not nearly as cut and dried as you'd like to think.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 25/05/23, 05:03 pm

TravelinMan wrote:

Yeah, I've talked to the people with the "whole library of regulations based on science and public comments" and I can tell you, it's not nearly as cut and dried as you'd like to think.

Oh sure, so hypothetically it is now okay if a processing business spills millions of gallons of a highly poisonous liquid into a wetlands on their property which then travels through the water into the drinking water for millions of people.  

Sure, but the Clean Water Act wasn't violated according to 5 relgious crazy people on the Supreme Court say so

edit - Have to say TM that these unsupported claims about some aspect of something while gaslighting other posters on their thoughts is becoming a "go to" for you in these decussions.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 25/05/23, 10:29 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Oh sure, so hypothetically it is now okay if a processing business spills millions of gallons of a highly poisonous liquid into a wetlands on their property which then travels through the water into the drinking water for millions of people.  

Sure, but the Clean Water Act wasn't violated according to 5 relgious crazy people on the Supreme Court say so

edit - Have to say TM that these unsupported claims about some aspect of something while gaslighting other posters on their thoughts is becoming a "go to" for you in these decussions.

It's OK though! There's no obvious or visual connection to waters of the United States. There's no possible way those deadly chemicals can impact anyone else off the property
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 25/05/23, 11:58 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Sorry you're all bothered about this. But I can tell you - I bought property in Michigan this past fall, and working with EGLE has been anything but straight forward. You can claim whatever you want, but I'm relaying to you my first hand experience.

As I said, I've mixed emotions on this one. I'm not sure this is a good ruling, but it will probably make my life a thousand times easier.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by This Is The Way 26/05/23, 08:40 am

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Sorry you're all bothered about this. But I can tell you - I bought property in Michigan this past fall, and working with EGLE has been anything but straight forward. You can claim whatever you want, but I'm relaying to you my first hand experience.

As I said, I've mixed emotions on this one. I'm not sure this is a good ruling, but it will probably make my life a thousand times easier.
It’s a shit ruling as per usual with the 5 cultists on the court. Wonder how much Uncle Thomas will make in grift from this ruling.
This Is The Way
This Is The Way
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 26/05/23, 09:25 am

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Why don't you explain a little more about what you were trying to do before randomly trashing egle with few detail?

Maybe then we can feel sorry for your experiences
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 26/05/23, 09:39 am

sεяεηιτλ wrote:

Apparently, you can just buy land with wetlands and fill it in, consequences be damned. 502811600
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 26/05/23, 09:50 am

It’s all property rights until some asshole or asshole corporation fills in wetlands.

When the runoff floods your property its not ther problem.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 26/05/23, 10:02 am

TravelinMan wrote:
sεяεηιτλ wrote:

Apparently, you can just buy land with wetlands and fill it in, consequences be damned. 502811600

Well then, I guess we have to assume that you made bad decisions by spending too much on bad land, and now are blaming the government because they won't let you do what you want to do, that which you would never be allowed to do on the land, i.e. the thing that made the land bad (stream flowing through? Wetland? Lake?).

The moral of the story, don't buy bad land for more than it's worth.
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 26/05/23, 10:04 am

GRR Spartan wrote:It’s all property rights until some asshole or asshole corporation fills in wetlands.

That's what I'm worried about. That is exactly the reason for proper management of wet lands. I should not be harmed with flooding or water problems because someone else bought cheap land (cheap, for a reason) and then didn't want to follow the law and build on it anyways.
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 26/05/23, 10:10 am

sεяεηιτλ wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Well then, I guess we have to assume that you made bad decisions by spending too much on bad land, and now are blaming the government because they won't let you do what you want to do, that which you would never be allowed to do on the land, i.e. the thing that made the land bad (stream flowing through? Wetland? Lake?).

Add that to the list of bad assumptions you have about me. It's no where close to the truth, but I'm sure it will make a good story for you to reference occasionally.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 26/05/23, 10:11 am

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Details.

What have you had to do?

What have the road blocks been?

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

sεяεηιτλ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 26/05/23, 10:13 am

TravelinMan wrote:
sεяεηιτλ wrote:

Add that to the list of bad assumptions you have about me. It's no where close to the truth, but I'm sure it will make a good story for you to reference occasionally.

Tit for tat here dude.

You make similar accusations about others.

If you had included details, and please do, it sounds like an interesting perspective, you might have avoided this.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

sεяεηιτλ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 26/05/23, 10:16 am

sεяεηιτλ wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:It’s all property rights until some asshole or asshole corporation fills in wetlands.

That's what I'm worried about. That is exactly the reason for proper management of wet lands. I should not be harmed with flooding or water problems because someone else bought cheap land (cheap, for a reason) and then didn't want to follow the law and build on it anyways.

I'm more concerned with possible pollution than improper land usage. That sort of filling of wetlands should be controlled by the county drain commission.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 26/05/23, 10:16 am

TravelinMan wrote:
sεяεηιτλ wrote:

There's an easy solution for you: don't troll ir trash without details. Explain your situation. EZPZ

I'm all for supporting logical reforms to how government operates to get rid of unjust circumstances like you apparently suffered. But I will not do that on a whim of a trolling comment. Need the deetz
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 26/05/23, 10:20 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
sεяεηιτλ wrote:

I'm more concerned with possible pollution than improper land usage. That sort of filling of wetlands should be controlled by the county drain commission.

That would definitely be a major concern for me on commercial development sites. For residential, I would think the chief concern for developing wetlands would be improper water management resulting in extra flooding in the area.
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 26/05/23, 10:29 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Tit for tat here dude.

If you had included details, and please do, it sounds like an interesting perspective, you might have avoided this.

Oh I'm not wound up about this, and I knew full well going in that there was a very good chance I might not be able to build on the land.

And as for the tit for tat - you're absolutely correct. I only respond in the manner to which I am addressed. Peeps wanna be assholes, I can do that. Peeps wanna be sincere, I can do that, too. Anyway... onward...

I'd like a process where I can have someone look at the property and tell me "Yeah, that's good. Have fun building your castle" or "Hell no, so much as turn a shovel and we'll throw you in jail." Instead, you must submit detailed plans, stake out everything you want to do, and basically progress your project to the point of backing the dump truck up before they'll come out and "work with you." And I say "work with you" because that's what they say they will do. "Work with you to minimize impact." Whatever the F that means? And when you ask what the definition of a wet land is, you don't get a clear answer. I was literally told, "Well, go and turn a shovel and see if the soil is damp." I was also referred to existing state maps of wetland areas. When I brought up the map, I could see that, based upon what the map told me, there was an entire town of people who had homes built in current "wetlands" so that map was completely useless.

So I gotta spend a lot of money and time before I can get a simple "yay" or "nay." Before yesterday's ruling, even when I purchased the property, I assumed the answer would be "nay." But if that ruling is really gonna stick, then I'm feeling pretty good that I can build. Kind of a happy surprise on what I assumed was throw away money.

There, now Serenity can start to feel bad for me.

TL;DR I gotta spend a lot of time and money and I'm whining about it.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 26/05/23, 10:30 am

sεяεηιτλ wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

There's an easy solution for you: don't troll ir trash without details. Explain your situation. EZPZ

I'm all for supporting logical reforms to how government operates to get rid of unjust circumstances like you apparently suffered. But I will not do that on a whim of a trolling comment. Need the deetz

You don't care about the "deetz." You made up your mind about me years ago and you just want to twist whatever I say to fit your narrative.

Pound sand.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 26/05/23, 10:37 am

Major concerns for residential developments for the hinterlands is developers is they are building where the municipal water and waste treatment is non-existent or waste treatment is lagoons if they’ve been allowed to hookup to a neighboring municipality’s water system.

A 75-100 unit development of stand alone and connected 2/3/4 condo’s creates a whole lot of water use and human waste that wasn’t there with farm fields, pasture or wooded areas.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 26/05/23, 10:38 am

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Tit for tat here dude.

Oh I'm not wound up about this, and I knew full well going in that there was a very good chance I might not be able to build on the land.

And as for the tit for tat - you're absolutely correct. I only respond in the manner to which I am addressed. Peeps wanna be assholes, I can do that. Peeps wanna be sincere, I can do that, too. Anyway... onward...

I'd like a process where I can have someone look at the property and tell me "Yeah, that's good. Have fun building your castle" or "Hell no, so much as turn a shovel and we'll throw you in jail." Instead, you must submit detailed plans, stake out everything you want to do, and basically progress your project to the point of backing the dump truck up before they'll come out and "work with you." And I say "work with you" because that's what they say they will do. "Work with you to minimize impact." Whatever the F that means? And when you ask what the definition of a wet land is, you don't get a clear answer. I was literally told, "Well, go and turn a shovel and see if the soil is damp." I was also referred to existing state maps of wetland areas. When I brought up the map, I could see that, based upon what the map told me, there was an entire town of people who had homes built in current "wetlands" so that map was completely useless.

So I gotta spend a lot of money and time before I can get a simple "yay" or "nay." Before yesterday's ruling, even when I purchased the property, I assumed the answer would be "nay." But if that ruling is really gonna stick, then I'm feeling pretty good that I can build. Kind of a happy surprise on what I assumed was throw away money.

Don't buy bad land dude. So I was basically right. The purpose of the law is to deter development of such land. And for very good reason. Seems like that is working. If you want to break the rules, you got to jump through hoops. Land like that sits on the market, im sure you can get it evaluated before buying it. Sure it would be nice to have people actually work with you bit we just don't have the staff thanks to the ever present struggle fighting to not tax the rich. You can't have it both ways. You claim to be libertarian leaning and for fiscally responsibility but then complain about not enough government involvement in your problem (i.e. people to walk you through your issue). I would love to hire more environmentally focused staff to do such things but unfortunately people like you have made it their life missions to fight against such things. I have to assume it's because you actually don't want to follow rules, you want to break the rules when the rules become personally problematic for you. I didn't think I'd be laughing this morning but you're making me chuckle real good.
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 26/05/23, 10:41 am

sεяεηιτλ wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Don't buy bad land dude. So I was basically right. The purpose of the law is to deter development of such land. And for very good reason. Seems like that is working. If you want to break the rules, you got to jump through hoops. Land like that sits on the market, im sure you can get it evaluated before buying it. Sure it would be nice to have people actually work with you bit we just don't have the staff thanks to the ever present struggle fighting to not tax the rich. You can't have it both ways. You claim to be libertarian leaning and for fiscally responsibility but then complain about not enough government involvement in your problem (i.e. people to walk you through your issue). I would love to hire more environmentally focused staff to do such things but unfortunately people like you have made it their life missions to fight against such things. I have to assume it's because you actually don't want to follow rules, you want to break the rules when the rules become personally problematic for you. I didn't think I'd be laughing this morning but you're making me chuckle real good.

I don't want to break or follow the rules. I just want someone to tell me what the rules are before I start playing the game.

The land is good. Looking even better after yesterday. Thanks Trump appointed Supreme Court justices! cheers
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 26/05/23, 10:50 am

TravelinMan wrote:
sεяεηιτλ wrote:

You don't care about the "deetz." You made up your mind about me years ago and you just want to twist whatever I say to fit your narrative.

Pound sand.

You sound mad, mad because what I said was basically right. You bought bad land and were mad that you couldn't easily do what you wanted to do. But it's even better, you wanted more people to walk you through the bureaucracy. Except you don't support that kind of government bureaucracy so you basically just want to be able to do what you want to do. Lol. Where have I heard that before?
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 26/05/23, 11:03 am

sεяεηιτλ wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Pound sand.

You sound mad, mad because what I said was basically right. You bought bad land and were mad that you couldn't easily do what you wanted to do. But it's even better, you wanted more people to walk you through the bureaucracy. Except you don't support that kind of government bureaucracy so you basically just want to be able to do what you want to do. Lol. Where have I heard that before?

You’re right. I don’t support government bureaucracy. But if it must exist, is it too much to ask for it to be functional?

Not mad now. After yesterday I’m planning my barn. You think 100x200 is too ostentatious? :lolz
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 26/05/23, 11:06 am

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Tit for tat here dude.

Just a short reply - of course they need detailed plans to determine the impact. Almost every permitting process does. Have you never been involved in building a structure before?

Not sure judging validity of a wetlands map by what others have done is sensible.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 26/05/23, 11:09 am

TravelinMan wrote:
sεяεηιτλ wrote:

You’re right. I don’t support government bureaucracy. But if it must exist, is it too much to ask for it to be functional?

Not mad now. After yesterday I’m planning my barn. You think 100x200 is too ostentatious? :lolz

And any number of chemical businesses are planning to poison your water.

Absolute asinine ruling by this corporate court.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 26/05/23, 11:19 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Just a short reply - of course they need detailed plans to determine the impact. Almost every permitting process does. Have you never been involved in building a structure before?

Not sure judging validity of a wetlands map by what others have done is sensible.

I have, indeed. And in my experience, usually people can tell you "yes" or "no" based upon a description and the land conditions. EGLE is "different" I guess?
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 26/05/23, 11:20 am

Trapper Gus wrote:

Kind of agree, but I'm gonna build while the building is good.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 26/05/23, 03:17 pm

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Makes sense. Make hay while the sun is shining
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 26/05/23, 09:33 pm

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

must suck for your neighbors who had the good sense to avoid garbage property where now you who made the bad decision to buy that garbage property can come in and do what you want and probably drastically lower the value of their property. Very fair and awesome.
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 26/05/23, 10:15 pm

My neighborhood, the city owned the lots, sold them. A local loud mouth bought one without apparently doing any due diligence... he thought he was plunking a house down one one corner in a wetland. The local inspectors told him he couldn't build that house where he wanted. He went on Facebook, got the local idiot brigade to bitch at the city board until they refunded his cash. The city sucks ass for caving into that idiot. (Among other things)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 27/05/23, 07:47 am

I would think the local drain commission would be a bigger obstacle than the EPA.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 27/05/23, 08:28 am

sεяεηιτλ wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

must suck for your neighbors who had the good sense to avoid garbage property where now you who made the bad decision to buy that garbage property can come in and do what you want and probably drastically lower the value of their property. Very fair and awesome.

LOLZ. You’re so small.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 27/05/23, 08:28 am

Trapper Gus wrote:I would think the local drain commission would be a bigger obstacle than the EPA.

Not an issue.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 27/05/23, 08:36 am

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:I would think the local drain commission would be a bigger obstacle than the EPA.

Not an issue.

Well until you get sued by your neighbors whose properties are now dealing with the water you're displacing.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next