Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robin Williams is dead, suicide is suspected

+21
MasonGuy
Jethro Bodeen
Venice
Ass Dan
Nordic
Rocinante
Stugots
HT
The_Dude
Dr. Strangelove
steveschneider
DWags
Cosmo_Kramer
Loose Stools
SawGreen
Code_Warrior
InTenSity
The Pantry
Other Teams Pursuing That
SpartanInNH
Rodeo Burger
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Robin Williams is dead, suicide is suspected Empty Robin Williams is dead, suicide is suspected

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-08-11, 19:04

He was one of the greats.

RIP
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Robin Williams is dead, suicide is suspected Empty Re: Robin Williams is dead, suicide is suspected

Post by SpartanInNH 2014-08-11, 19:05

Rodeo Burger wrote:He was one of the greats.  

RIP

Shit.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Robin Williams is dead, suicide is suspected Empty Re: Robin Williams is dead, suicide is suspected

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-08-11, 19:05

Damn, that's fucked up. Too bad. Great entertainer overall.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2014-08-11, 19:10

SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-08-11, 19:18

wow. I'm suddenly remembering the movie What Dreams May Come.

RIP
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-11, 19:19

Wow. Not even sure what to say.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2014-08-11, 19:22

I just read about it. Tragic.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-08-11, 19:23

Robin Williams is dead, suicide is suspected Jumanji_article

Jumanji was my favorite.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-08-11, 19:31

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Robin Williams is dead, suicide is suspected Jumanji_article

Jumanji was my favorite.
His bit on golf has always been a favorite of mine

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2014-08-11, 19:34

Really stunned. His body of work was outstanding.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2014-08-11, 19:42

SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Loose Stools 2014-08-11, 19:49

The Pantry wrote:wow.  I'm suddenly remembering the movie What Dreams May Come.

RIP
That film was disturbing in that it portrayed hell in the most realistic version I've seen.  A very dark movie.  I've been waiting for the blu-ray version.

RIP to a true comic genius.
Loose Stools
Loose Stools
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2014-08-11, 19:54

The Pantry wrote:

That was fuckin' hilarious. Thanks for posting.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer 2014-08-11, 19:55

Fucked up, man. Not much else to it. True genius.
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-08-11, 20:00

Detroit country day kid. That sucks
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-08-11, 20:21

I'm probably alone in this......but my favorite RW movie was "The Best of Times"

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-08-11, 20:36

Grew up with Mork and Mindy. Love Fischer King and Ms. Doubtfire. RIP
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2014-08-11, 20:36

The Pantry wrote:

That bit was funnier when Billy Connolly did it first. Williams was a notorious joke thief.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-08-11, 20:42

Dr. Strangelove wrote:

That bit was funnier when Billy Connolly did it first. Williams was a notorious joke thief.

He stole a friends joke once. We saw him at an event and she confronted him not in a mean way, just called him on it. He was great about it. Was like "oh did I?" Like it could have easily happened, and then thanked her. He was great about it, and a super approachable guy.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2014-08-11, 20:52

SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-08-11, 21:07

Robin Williams is dead, suicide is suspected 294152859 Robin Williams is dead, suicide is suspected 294152859 Robin Williams is dead, suicide is suspected 294152859 
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2014-08-11, 21:17

"Coroner investigators suspect "the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia," according to a statement from the Marin County, California, Sheriff's Office."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/11/showbiz/robin-williams-dead/
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-08-11, 21:27

Loose Stools wrote:
That film was disturbing in that it portrayed hell in the most realistic version I've seen.  A very dark movie.  I've been waiting for the blu-ray version.

Very good, but disturbing film. When I first saw it, the only thing I had heard about it was the vibrant colors and cinematography. That version of hell was something I wouldn't want to experience. I'm sure RW wouldn't have killed himself if he thought he suffer the same fate as those who commit suicide in that movie.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2014-08-11, 21:59

RIP, O Captain, my Captain
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Stugots 2014-08-11, 22:09

Rodeo Burger wrote:

Very good, but disturbing film.  When I first saw it, the only thing I had heard about it was the vibrant colors and cinematography.  That version of hell was something I wouldn't want to experience.  I'm sure RW wouldn't have killed himself if he thought he suffer the same fate as those who commit suicide in that movie.

Its pretty well known that Robin Williams suffered from bipolar disorder, so suicide really isn't too surprising as a cause of death. The religious belief that you go to "hell" for essentially dying of a brain disease should become a relic of the past, although there are certainly plenty of people who still believe that....I'm not saying that this is your belief, but I just felt the need to interject that.
Stugots
Stugots
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-08-11, 22:27

Stugots wrote:

Its pretty well known that Robin Williams suffered from bipolar disorder, so suicide really isn't too surprising as a cause of death. The religious belief that you go to "hell" for essentially dying of a brain disease should become a relic of the past, although there are certainly plenty of people who still believe that....I'm not saying that this is your belief, but I just felt the need to interject that.

I'm not religious, and I doubt very much Robin Williams was. Attitudes do seem to be changing on suicide though. More people are realizing that it's not selfish, it's sad that someone thinks that the world is better off without them. With that said, I have no idea what Robin Williams went through each day. Who am I to tell him to stick around? Not everybody "gets better", no matter what they try.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2014-08-11, 22:45

tWife and I spent the evening watching a Robin Williams HBO Comedy special on YouTube as well as some assorted clips from his younger days as our way of celebrating his life. Laughed our asses off. It's sad that someone who could bring joy to so many people couldn't find enough joy in his own life to keep going.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-08-11, 23:48

Robin Williams' film Mrs Doubtfire almost saved the Spartan Triplex theater. I worked there at the time. We were getting B movies like Van Dam sequals and cheesy horror flicks and nobody was coming. Then, doubt fire showed up and suddenly the families started coming again. We had full shows for every showing. If we could have followed it up with anything remotely as successful, we might have stayed open, but it was too little too late and bad management and building maintainance issues sunk it. I saw that movie about 70 times though. RW gave it a ride.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-08-12, 00:39

LooseGoose wrote:I'm probably alone in this......but my favorite RW movie was "The Best of Times"

Great flick
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-08-12, 03:58

The bird cage is one of those movies that I watch almost unconditionally if see that it's on. RIP big guy
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Venice 2014-08-12, 08:50

We used to hang out in the same bar (tImprov) in the early 80's. Always seemed to be an inner sadness behind the mania and tcoke and tbooze. Brilliant guy. RIP
Venice
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen 2014-08-12, 09:01

Venice wrote:We used  to hang out in the same bar (tImprov) in the early 80's.  Always seemed to be an inner sadness behind the mania and tcoke and tbooze.  Brilliant guy. RIP

He has said that he was raised by "The Maid".
He was a poor little rich boy who was ignored by his parents and it fucked him up, emotionally.

Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonGuy 2014-08-12, 10:02

Comedians are always fighting demons. He had them in spades. I am a little bit pissed that he left us.
MasonGuy
MasonGuy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-08-12, 12:19

Some of my favorite Robin Williams moments were when he would be a guest on The Tonight Show or Letterman. The hosts usually wouldn't get in hardly a word, Williams would just start going off on some bit (seemingly improv, though i don't know for sure), and before you know it, commercial break. It was always funny to see guys like Carson, Leno, or Letterman just sitting there as Williams took over. Had to be the easiest interview in the world to prepare for. At most, ask one question (even "How are you doing?") and watch him go.

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-08-12, 13:21

MiamiSpartan wrote:Some of my favorite Robin Williams moments were when he would be a guest on The Tonight Show or Letterman.  The hosts usually wouldn't get in hardly a word, Williams would just start going off on some bit (seemingly improv, though i don't know for sure), and before you know it, commercial break.  It was always funny to see guys like Carson, Leno, or Letterman just sitting there as Williams took over.  Had to be the easiest interview in the world to prepare for.  At most, ask one question (even "How are you doing?") and watch him go.  

Frankly, as a kid watching those, I remember thinking "that dude ain't right".
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-08-12, 13:22

Loose Stools wrote:

It's kinda funny that you claim that that movie portrayed hell in the most realistic way you've seen. How can you claim that unless you know what the actual hell looks like?

Or did it portray it in the way that you most believe it may be? (even though it doesn't exist).
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-08-12, 13:34

Chitown_Badger wrote:Or did it portray it in the way that you most believe it may be? (even though it doesn't exist).

Where do you tell people to go?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-08-12, 13:36

LooseGoose wrote:

Where do you tell people to go?

**** off

or eat a bag of dicks
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2014-08-12, 21:28

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Frankly, as a kid watching those, I remember thinking "that dude ain't right".

Well, he wasn't. "Right" people generally aren't entertaining. People who "ain't right" have their shit together, and tell you what's real. Makes 'em hilarious.

Funny old world, isn't it?
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-08-12, 22:23

I think it's beyond fucked up that they released such graphic details of his death.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next