Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What age were you when you realized that music being made wasn’t for you anymore?

+12
NigelUno
The Pantry
steveschneider
Robert J Sakimano
InTenSity
Turtleneck
Rick Saunders
AvgMSUJoe
Trapper Gus
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
Travis of the Cosmos
16 posters

Go down

What age were you when you realized that music being made wasn’t for you anymore? Empty What age were you when you realized that music being made wasn’t for you anymore?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 8:38

When was music no longer being made for someone your age? The correct answer to that is when you were 25.

But, when did you actually realize it? I think I was 34. For a period of time I tried to keep up with it, then one day you hear something like “here’s zazbu snoopants with her number 1 hit ‘jambalaya in the oven’’ and you realize that it’s all been over for you for quite some time now. Right around then I also pulled up a Spotify playlist of 2000s hip hop and realized that while I didn’t think it had really changed that much since I was younger, it indeed had changed a lot and I didn’t care for the changes and just wanted to listen to the stuff from when I was cool. 

So when was that for you? Was there a specific moment when it occurred to you that you were old now or did it happen too gradually to notice? Asking for otpt who will be facing that transition soon.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What age were you when you realized that music being made wasn’t for you anymore? Empty Re: What age were you when you realized that music being made wasn’t for you anymore?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 8:46

I think your problem could be pulling up the “top” lists or whatever or listening to the radio? I’d consider myself a bit of a music snob/geek and haven’t felt even close to that but I’m also searching and finding new music from my favorite artists or new all the time. I’d imagine I’d feel differently if i was browsing what’s on the top 40 right now because that shit usually sucks.

I turn 30 next month. YIKES!
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

What age were you when you realized that music being made wasn’t for you anymore? Empty Re: What age were you when you realized that music being made wasn’t for you anymore?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 8:49

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I think your problem could be pulling up the “top” lists or whatever or listening to the radio? I’d consider myself a bit of a music snob/geek and haven’t felt even close to that but I’m also searching and finding new music from my favorite artists or new all the time. I’d imagine I’d feel differently if i was browsing what’s on the top 40 right now because that shit usually sucks.

Oh I don’t have a problem. I’ve accepted that my prime coolness years were ages ago. And I don’t think it’s totally about music so much as thinking to myself about when that transition from cool young person to crotchety old person happened (25) and when I actually knew that it happened (34)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 8:51

IDK. When I was in my 40s and 50s I was still finding bands that I liked where they were 1/2 my age. What age were you when you realized that music being made wasn’t for you anymore? 2599972566
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 9:03

As should be expected I was about 12 years old.

But I wasn't interested in "popular" music at that time.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 9:15

In the 90's I took a couple years off actively looking for music because "it wasn't as good as when I was younger"... consequentially, I missed seeing white stripes, black keys best, early foo fighters shows, others... Once I realized that, I have made a concerted (yes, pun) effort to try to keep up. I'm still finding new stuff on the regular to enjoy (51). It just takes a little effort. AND you have to not care you are the oldest one at the show and deal with the feeling to want to parent the stupid kids you see out.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Robert J Sakimano, Trapper Gus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 9:22

Still seems like it's for me and not my "kids."

About a month old:   https://jennylewis.lnk.to/JoyAllWE
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 9:23

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I think your problem could be pulling up the “top” lists or whatever or listening to the radio? I’d consider myself a bit of a music snob/geek and haven’t felt even close to that but I’m also searching and finding new music from my favorite artists or new all the time. I’d imagine I’d feel differently if i was browsing what’s on the top 40 right now because that shit usually sucks.

I have always thought is was cool that you post here with your great-great grandfather, GreenWay.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 9:42

AvgMSUJoe wrote:In the 90's I took a couple years off actively looking for music because "it wasn't as good as when I was younger"... consequentially, I missed seeing white stripes, black keys best, early foo fighters shows, others... Once I realized that, I have made a concerted (yes, pun) effort to try to keep up. I'm still finding new stuff on the regular to enjoy (51). It just takes a little effort. AND you have to not care you are the oldest one at the show and deal with the feeling to want to parent the stupid kids you see out.

I went to see Rise Against and The Used at Freedom Hill last year. I was 62 and I'm pretty sure there were people older than me. What age were you when you realized that music being made wasn’t for you anymore? 502811600

I hadn't been to a concert since like 2011, and I said fuck it, this is like five miles from home and I'm going.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 9:47

Once Metallica killed Napster, I kind of stopped listening to any new music. I loved the program and was finding all sorts of new bands I wouldn't normally listen to since they made recommendations. So that was my early 20's. Now 20ish years later I think its funny. I have Kidz bop Kidz on all the time. Can't really say I like the music, but Kyle loves it. My daughter is growing out of it, so I'll change to (this is Serious XM channels) channel 5 and sometimes 4 (tik tok radio). I've only known most of the newer pop songs through KBK, so hearing the 'real' version throws me off.

Anyway the answer was 22 or 23.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 9:50

Floyd Robertson wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:In the 90's I took a couple years off actively looking for music because "it wasn't as good as when I was younger"... consequentially, I missed seeing white stripes, black keys best, early foo fighters shows, others... Once I realized that, I have made a concerted (yes, pun) effort to try to keep up. I'm still finding new stuff on the regular to enjoy (51). It just takes a little effort. AND you have to not care you are the oldest one at the show and deal with the feeling to want to parent the stupid kids you see out.

I went to see Rise Against and The Used at Freedom Hill last year. I was 62 and I'm pretty sure there were people older than me. What age were you when you realized that music being made wasn’t for you anymore? 502811600

I hadn't been to a concert since like 2011, and I said fuck it, this is like five miles from home and I'm going.
Floyd you should come to shows with me, I think we’re into the same shit.

That anti flag show a few months ago might have been why I was thinking about this too because I noted while there that it’s all the same people I was at a show like that with 10 years prior, it’s just we’re all 10 years older. 

Also listening to the xm station faction in a rental minivan. That station is great. And also probably predominantly listened to in minivans at this point.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 9:56

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Floyd you should come to shows with me, I think we’re into the same shit.

That anti flag show a few months ago might have been why I was thinking about this too because I noted while there that it’s all the same people I was at a show like that with 10 years prior, it’s just we’re all 10 years older. 

Also listening to the xm station faction in a rental minivan. That station is great. And also probably predominantly listened to in minivans at this point.

I think I started listening to a little anti flag when I was 59 and found it on Spotify. I think I had hear OF them long before, just never go around to checking them out.

I think my next show might be Taking Back Sunday back at Freedom Hill in July, but I'm still trying to convince myself I can stay out late on Tuesday night. I already passed on Bouncing Souls because it was a Sunday night. Same problem with upcoming Elvis Costello & Nick Lowe show, and George Thorogood. Just bad nights of the week.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 9:58

I think I mentioned here that I want to go to see less than Jake next weekend but it’s just not gonna happen. I don’t know the next one after that, these things usually jump up at me sorta last minute
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 10:05

A lot of great music out there. You just have to know where to look.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Other Teams Pursuing That and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 11:00

Whenever I listen to the top charting hits on Spotify I realize it he real question is when did popular music become horrible?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 11:03

steveschneider wrote:Whenever I listen to the top charting hits on Spotify I realize it he real question is when did popular music become horrible?

Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 11:07

Robert J Sakimano wrote:A lot of great music out there. You just have to know where to look.
You don't have to look. It finds you.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 11:19

steveschneider wrote:Whenever I listen to the top charting hits on Spotify I realize it he real question is when did popular music become horrible?

What age were you when you realized that music being made wasn’t for you anymore? Blues-clues
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 11:24

I’ve never grown tired of listening for new music. Channel 35 on Sirius/XM plays independent label artists. It’s a good way to find new music, as are the other usual suspects like Spotify, Pandora, even YouTube creates lists based on listening preferences though it’s not very good.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 11:26

Floyd Robertson wrote:

It helps that you’re dating a 30-year-old.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 11:27

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

That'd be funny it if was true. It would probably kill me.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 11:31

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

That'd be funny it if was true. It would probably kill me.

And what a way to go.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 11:34

I turn 54 this year and took this picture at a show recently. What age were you when you realized that music being made wasn’t for you anymore? 3493939353

What age were you when you realized that music being made wasn’t for you anymore? 20190710
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 11:41

My music tastes have always skewed a little older, but I probably stopped listening to "new" music in college as I started getting even more into older stuff.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 11:55

I’ve said this before but one good way to know I’ve gotten old is how the music I listened to in the 80s was called New Wave and now it’s called First Wave. lol
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 12:01

tGreenWay wrote:I’ve said this before but one good way to know I’ve gotten old is how the music I listened to in the 80s was called New Wave and now it’s called First Wave. lol

Hey man is that Freedom Rock? Well turn it up!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Robert J Sakimano, AvgMSUJoe and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 12:35

tGreenWay wrote:I’ve said this before but one good way to know I’ve gotten old is how the music I listened to in the 80s was called New Wave and now it’s called First Wave. lol

GreenWay, Gregorian chant was well before the 80s and nobody ever called it new wave.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 12:46

For me, it was when Irving Aaronson released "Let's Misbehave." I understand that these so-called artists need to push the envelope to get attention, but I found that song to be lascivious and in very poor taste. It was then that I knew they weren't making music for me anymore. Oh, and I was 61.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 15:33

Dylan sold his song writing catalog for $400 million.
Neil Young sold 50% of his catalog for $150 million
Bruce Springsteen sold his for $500 million

If new music is so good how come it isn’t worth that much? I think it’s because they aren’t writing at as high a level as those artist. I don’t think it has to do with age I think the content isn’t as good.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 15:43

Turtleneck wrote:

GreenWay, Gregorian chant was well before the 80s and nobody ever called it new wave.

I don’t care.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 15:47

Pervis Muldoon wrote:For me, it was when Irving Aaronson released "Let's Misbehave." I understand that these so-called artists need to push the envelope to get attention, but I found that song to be lascivious and in very poor taste. It was then that I knew they weren't making music for me anymore. Oh, and I was 61.

You’re the guy who made the music industry slap a parental advisory on The Four Lads’ Standing on the Corner Watching All the Girls Go By.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon and Polydorus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 15:49

steveschneider wrote:Dylan sold his song writing catalog for $400 million.

If new music is so good how come it isn’t worth that much? I think it’s because they aren’t writing at as high a level as those artist. I don’t think it has to do with age I think the content isn’t as good.
a lot of good music out there that isn't commercially viable (thank god).

obviously, the way we consume music has changed for a lot of people, but we also live in a society where the masses prefer to be spoon fed manufactured art designed to appeal to their low-information, easily-manipulated tastes.  

I hate the fact that there are so many talented artists out there touring, playing 200 shows/year in 1200 seat rooms just to remain viable, to be able to pay their bills. They get a few pennies for every stream when guys with frosted hair are filling stadiums singing about trucks, bonfires and beer.

so it's not the art, it's the consumer. Next time you're out in public, look around at the average consumer. Rolling Eyes
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 16:24

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Dylan sold his song writing catalog for $400 million.

a lot of good music out there that isn't commercially viable (thank god).

obviously, the way we consume music has changed for a lot of people, but we also live in a society where the masses prefer to be spoon fed manufactured art designed to appeal to their low-information, easily-manipulated tastes.  

I hate the fact that there are so many talented artists out there touring, playing 200 shows/year in 1200 seat rooms just to remain viable, to be able to pay their bills. They get a few pennies for every stream when guys with frosted hair are filling stadiums singing about trucks, bonfires and beer.

so it's not the art, it's the consumer. Next time you're out in public, look around at the average consumer. Rolling Eyes

How viable is touring even for working musicians? Venues that support smaller acts got devastated during Covid.  I think music and film has suffered a lot because in order to make money you have to cater to the consumer you speak of.  Also, the consumer doesn’t want to pay for anything anymore because we all got used to free shit on the internet. I think music started to plummet around Napster and then took a bigger dive when Spotify came around.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 20:05

Well, Lansing is opening a new venue (400?) later this month and just broke ground on a bigger one (2500?) Two blocks down for next year ... someone must be making money.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed 28 Jun 2023 - 20:06

Btw, the lsj said The Verve Pipe are opening the new one one on Washington... so that would be fun.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 29 Jun 2023 - 7:03

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Well, Lansing is opening a new venue (400?) later this month and just broke ground on a bigger one (2500?) Two blocks down for next year ... someone must be making money.

At this point people in construction are making money.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 29 Jun 2023 - 7:38

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Well, Lansing is opening a new venue (400?) later this month and just broke ground on a bigger one (2500?) Two blocks down for next year ... someone must be making money.
one of the partners of the venue is also the manager of The Menzingers (the band in the picture I posted above) and they're playing that venue in early August.

Ran into him in EL a couple of months ago and he was filling me in on things.

They're a fairly big band for Lansing and I suspect it's a favor for Scotty to be playing there. Either way, it's a good thing for the local scene.

Solid band, great live shows, if interested.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu 29 Jun 2023 - 21:30

Floyd Robertson wrote:IDK. When I was in my 40s and 50s I was still finding bands that I liked where they were 1/2 my age. What age were you when you realized that music being made wasn’t for you anymore? 2599972566

Yeah, there are bands I've been listening to for 35+ years that are still churning out good music. And there are bands that I like a lot that just came out with their debut album a year or two ago. All the same genre, but not that you'll hear on the radio.

I haven't really evolved my tastes, so I don't think I've reached the point where there isn't new music being made that I like.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down