Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial "Songs That Make You Cry" Thread

+8
AvgMSUJoe
Nordic
GRR Spartan
Turtleneck
tGreenWay
kingstonlake
The Pantry
Robert J Sakimano
12 posters

Go down

tOfficial "Songs That Make You Cry" Thread Empty tOfficial "Songs That Make You Cry" Thread

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-09-14, 08:42

first of all, I tear up easily.. secondly, I ain't apologizing to anyone for it.

I've listened to this song, literally, hundreds of times and I've seen Jason play it live at least 10 times, and I still tear up every single time

thought about posting the studio version, but I feel like this live performance on ACL with his wife really brings out the emotion in it.

It's knowing that this can't go on forever
Likely one of us will have to spend some days alone
Maybe we'll get forty years together
But one day I'll be gone
Or one day you'll be gone

No

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, AvgMSUJoe, Trapper Gus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

tOfficial "Songs That Make You Cry" Thread Empty Re: tOfficial "Songs That Make You Cry" Thread

Post by The Pantry 2023-09-14, 10:19

I tear up easily also.  Not just music.  Hearing a good joke or present in a spontaneously funny situation, start laughing and the tears start flowing.  Over active ducts I guess.

Many songs get me going.  Sometimes it's the lyrics/story, sometimes it's the vocals/harmonies, sometimes it's just beautiful instrumentals.  Most often it's a blend.  

The build up to crescendo...

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

tOfficial "Songs That Make You Cry" Thread Empty Re: tOfficial "Songs That Make You Cry" Thread

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-09-14, 14:49

Holly Williams (her husband accompanying on guitar) - she's Hank Sr's granddaughter.

great tune about her Mom's side of the family. I get a little teary toward the end.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-09-14, 14:53

Laverne and Shirley theme song.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Pervis Muldoon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-09-14, 15:00

kingstonlake wrote:Laverne and Shirley theme song.
nostalgia or the beer bottles on the conveyor belt?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-09-14, 15:49

Blind Faith/Steve Winwood's Can't Find My Way Home.  One of my favorite covers...

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-09-14, 15:57

In My Merry Oldsmobile

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-09-14, 16:35

Men are not supposed to cry. Are you all directly from Europe or something?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-09-14, 16:59

Turtleneck wrote:Men are not supposed to cry. Are you all directly from Europe or something?

Most of us are Midwestern born and raised. We’ve been taught to suppress our emotions until it explodes into a rage or break-down.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-09-14, 20:38

Baby of Mine from Disney’s Dumbo.

The song never struck an emotion until I watched it with my then 3 year old daughter. I began tearing up.

It hit home reminding me not only how my child would be if her mom was gone but my sister who was weeks away from her 3rd birthday when our mother died.

Watched Dumbo 30 years later with my 3 year old granddaughter and Baby of Mine still gets to me.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-09-14, 21:35

I do not know this word. What is "cry"?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, tGreenWay, Turtleneck and Pervis Muldoon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-09-14, 21:50

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Men are not supposed to cry. Are you all directly from Europe or something?

Most of us are Midwestern born and raised. We’ve been taught to suppress our emotions until it explodes into a rage or break-down. eliminate emotion and proceed in a manner that is perfectly rational and detached.

Fixed
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-09-14, 22:04

Kills me.

AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2023-09-14, 22:38

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Laverne and Shirley theme song.

And Laverne inflates Shirley's glove, places it on a departing bottle, gives a quick wave, like bon voyage little glove, and they gaze wistfully into space while contemplating the events and decisions that paved the path they traveled to the quiet futility of a blue-collar existence in the Snow Belt. Aw hell, now I'm crying.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Robert J Sakimano and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-09-15, 01:19

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

And Laverne inflates Shirley's glove, places it on a departing bottle, gives a quick wave, like bon voyage little glove, and they gaze wistfully into space while contemplating the events and decisions that paved the path they traveled to the quiet futility of a blue-collar existence in the Snow Belt. Aw hell, now I'm crying.

Think of this day-brightener: Whoever bought the bottle with that glove on it probably sold it for a million bucks since that show was a prime time ratings winner. That lucky guy or girl probably cried tears of joy while Laverne & Shirley were stuck in mindless, menial, dead end jobs.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2023-09-15, 15:28

That ain't gonna help man.
You don't know what the sound is darling
It's the sound of my tears falling
Or is it the rain?
You don't know
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-09-15, 15:34

Rosey taught me better.

AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-09-26, 15:45

Springsteen's "The Wish" gets me, especially his version from the shows on Broadway. It's (mainly) about his Mom buying him his first guitar for Christmas.

the intro:

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-09-26, 15:46

then the tune itself:

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-09-26, 16:32

Gotta make a correction to reflect the historical record:

Whenever I hear Christopher Plummer’s version of Edelweiss I get a little misty-eyed. That’s because my dad used to sing it to us kids when we were littles. It rarely happens now because I haven’t seen Sound of Music in ages.

The first time I heard Tim McGraw’s Don’t Take the Girl produced some wet eyes. The music director called me into his office and asked me to listen to a new release but didn’t tell me anything more. I wasn’t expecting the lyrics to go in that direction and it surprised me. Thankfully, I regained my emotional plate of armor and it never happened but for that one time.

I’ve let down a couple of you by admitting to this, but it was the right thing to do. We all have a past. In the mist of history, some moments get looked over on first glance.

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and Pervis Muldoon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-09-26, 18:42

Wanna cheesy one?

My kid who's at WMU was born he was 34 weeks. In NICU for weeks, I drove every day from Detroit to Saginaw to be with him and the wife... this horrific song was played on the radio way to often. Killed me back then.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-10-17, 14:03

No
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-10-17, 18:38

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2023-10-17/stanford-scientist-robert-sapolskys-decades-of-study-led-him-to-conclude-we-dont-have-free-will-determined-book

Suggests crying for a song isn't a choice.

Patriotic songs make me cry, no idea why.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-10-17, 19:07

Trapper Gus wrote:https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2023-10-17/stanford-scientist-robert-sapolskys-decades-of-study-led-him-to-conclude-we-dont-have-free-will-determined-book

Suggests crying for a song isn't a choice.

Patriotic songs make me cry, no idea why.
Jesus loves you.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-10-17, 19:12

Stairway to Heaven. Every time I think about how many times I had to hear endure it in the 70s, it makes me cry.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Robert J Sakimano and The Pantry like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-10-17, 19:22

Floyd Robertson wrote:Stairway to Heaven. Every time I think about how many times I had to hear endure it in the 70s, it makes me cry.
Still love that song but fortunately don't have to hear it played 8-10 times a day now.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-10-17, 19:25

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Stairway to Heaven. Every time I think about how many times I had to hear endure it in the 70s, it makes me cry.
Still love that song but fortunately don't have to hear it played 8-10 times a day now.

Good song. FM radio just killed it for me, at a time when FM radio was all we had.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-10-17, 19:50

A layup for Bob....
hope my daughter doesn't find this when she gets married or whatever, I'll be mess.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-04-19, 10:09

AvgMSUJoe wrote:A layup for Bob....
hope my daughter doesn't find this when she gets married or whatever, I'll be mess.
oh, I know.. whew. No
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-04-19, 10:19

this one just popped up on my algorithm.

I've seen BJ and/or American Aquarium play this one a few times. The first time was June 22, 2017. I was front row with our daughter and it was the summer I was undergoing some pretty serious medical treatments.

anyway.. it was BJ solo - so it was real quiet. I started shaking, trying not to sob. My poor kid was staring at me (I could see her in my peripherals) Shocked - she reached over and started holding my had - even BJ picked up on it, 'cause after the show he was like "man, everything okay"? tOfficial "Songs That Make You Cry" Thread 502811600

so every time I hear this one, I think of that night and experience a cocktail of emotions: uncertainty, being scared, gratitude and, yes, laughter 'cause in that moment, I was in a way but came out on the other end okay (hence, the extreme gratitude).

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-05-10, 09:06

damn Tyler Childers..

I will stand my ground
I'm a bad man looking for takers
You're the finest thing around
So I will stand my ground

'Cause it's cold out there
And you know some men search for ages
For the love that I have found
So I will stand my ground

We were never made to run forever
We were just meant to go long enough
To find what we were chasin' after
I believe I found it here in your love

something about this live version, too - he just looks so damn happy.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down