Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest President: George Washington or AAbraham Lincoln (President Birthday Month)

+2
Robert J Sakimano
gomersbro
6 posters

Go down

Greatest President: Goerge Washington or Abraham Lincoln

Greatest President: George Washington or AAbraham Lincoln (President Birthday Month) Vote_lcap43%Greatest President: George Washington or AAbraham Lincoln (President Birthday Month) Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 3 ]
Greatest President: George Washington or AAbraham Lincoln (President Birthday Month) Vote_lcap43%Greatest President: George Washington or AAbraham Lincoln (President Birthday Month) Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 3 ]
Greatest President: George Washington or AAbraham Lincoln (President Birthday Month) Vote_lcap14%Greatest President: George Washington or AAbraham Lincoln (President Birthday Month) Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 7

Poll Greatest President: George Washington or AAbraham Lincoln (President Birthday Month)

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 13 Feb 2024 - 9:52

I'm all in on Washington and more so now that we have the anti-Washington, Trump, running again
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Poll Re: Greatest President: George Washington or AAbraham Lincoln (President Birthday Month)

Post by gomersbro Tue 13 Feb 2024 - 13:18

Lincoln was great, but Washington was the OG. Without Washington acting how he did, there would be no Lincoln. King George said that Washington was the greatest character of the age because he gave up the power. Washington doing that was as unthinkable as a president today not doing it.

At the ceremony’s conclusion, Washington insisted that President Adams and Vice President Jefferson exit before he did, since he was now merely a citizen and was thus outranked. As biographer Harrison Clark put it, “The transfer of power was thus symbolically complete.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2021/01/19/george-washington-john-adams-transfer-power-inauguration/
gomersbro
Spartiate

Floyd Robertson, AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Poll Re: Greatest President: George Washington or AAbraham Lincoln (President Birthday Month)

Post by Zurn Tue 13 Feb 2024 - 15:05

Clearly Lincoln.

Most of Washington's greatness is from his actions prior to becoming president. His actual presidency was fairly uneventful. Can't believe you guys are calling a slave owner America's greatest president.

In contrast, Lincoln was a relative nothing until becoming president. Without Lincoln the North may well have quit the war (they were unlikely to ever lose it) resulting in a Southern slave state that may have persisted on into the 1900s.

The biggest tragedy of our history was Lincoln's assassination. Only Lincoln had the political savvy and power to have led a reunification that would have prevented the ill fated Reconstruction and Jim Crow era.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Trapper Gus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 13 Feb 2024 - 15:18

I'm going with Barack Obama as a write-in.

certainly the most transformational president of my lifetime. Greatest President: George Washington or AAbraham Lincoln (President Birthday Month) 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 13 Feb 2024 - 17:05

Trump?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 13 Feb 2024 - 17:20

DWags wrote:Trump?

I seriously think Buchanan was better.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 13 Feb 2024 - 17:37

Trapper Gus wrote:
DWags wrote:Trump?

I seriously think Buchanan was better.

William Henry Harrison
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 13 Feb 2024 - 18:35

Lincoln
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Zurn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 13 Feb 2024 - 18:42

WHH lead by example. If only more presidents would follow his lead.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 7:57

DWags wrote:WHH lead by example. If only more presidents would follow his lead.

Die in office after 41 days?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Henry_Harrison
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 8:04

Trapper Gus wrote:

Greatest President: George Washington or AAbraham Lincoln (President Birthday Month) 200.gif?cid=ddb306a58wzhnxk7ue19k6569deoc963engp6wahud08s1w8&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 8:09

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Greatest President: George Washington or AAbraham Lincoln (President Birthday Month) 200.gif?cid=ddb306a58wzhnxk7ue19k6569deoc963engp6wahud08s1w8&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200

So, I would think, but reading the Wiki about him he did quite a bit during his lifetime, and was, until Reagan, the oldest person to be elected President.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 8:16

Trapper Gus wrote:

I thought it was 31.

Yeah, 31 days is long enough for some of these fuckers. I don’t wish that they die, but I do wish that they leave office.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 8:17

Trapper Gus wrote:

So, I would think, but reading the Wiki about him he did quite a bit during his lifetime, and was, until Reagan, the oldest person to be elected President.

I've been told that democrats said Reagan was too old to be president.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 8:23

Zurn wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I've been told that democrats said Reagan was too old to be president.

How old are you?  Too young to remember Reagan I guess.

Yes, his mental capabilities were questioned throughout his 8 years, partly because his borrow and spend economic policy was not considered good economics so he was thought to be nuts (and this has been proven out), sure that he wasn't somewhat diminished in his final year in office, there have been books that said that.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 8:48; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 8:27

Reagan is unquestionably the worst President of all time and the only good thing he did was lose his ability to think and continue doing horrible things
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 8:29

Worst of the last 170 years, fine. I don’t feel like putting Reagan and Jackson in an awful death match. They can be tied.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 8:39

I used Buchanan because he is usually in the top 10 for worst presidents.

I agree that Reagan's policies were a huge and very negative turning point in our history. Many of the basic principles he put in place were unchallenged until Biden, who has been working to reverse some major ones.

Jackson also was a major turning point in policies, but I don't know as much about him other than the negative press he gets in the high school history books of the 1960's. The trail of tears stuff.

Harding is always in the top ten of worst, Grant used to be, but not so much anymore. Some try to put Carter in there, too.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 9:01

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Reagan is unquestionably the worst President of all time and the only good thing he did was lose his ability to think and continue doing horrible things

Dumb asses will never understand why the 1% is trillions of dollars richer and the bottom half is so much worse off because of that asshole. Armed Saddam Husseins Iraq. Gave weapons to Iran in exchange for hostages. He armed and supported the Mujahideen rebels in Afghanistan. Birth of Bin Laden and Al Qaeda.

At least 138 Reagan administration officials, including several cabinet members, were investigated for, indicted for, or convicted of crimes. This is the largest number of any U.S. president. Many of them were pardoned by Reagan or President Bush before they could even stand trial.

Lied about the “welfare queen in Chicago” getting 150k in checks. Investigation found one woman who go 8K illegally.

Divorced family man
He tripled the national debt in only eight years. Although Republicans blamed Congress for the deficits, all eight of the budgets Congress passed had less spending and smaller deficits than the budgets proposed by Reagan.

When he took office in 1981, unemployment was at 7.5% and dropping. A few months after his economic policies took effect, unemployment began to rise again. Millions of people continued to lose their jobs for the next two years until unemployment exceeded 10%. It stayed above 10% for nearly a year, peaking at 10.8%. Three years after he was elected, unemployment was still higher than when he was sworn in.

The financial deregulation and changes to the tax code that President Reagan enacted ultimately caused nearly 750 different financial institutions to fail. This cost taxpayers about $150 billion.

There’s more but fuck it. These assholes like a president as long as he doesn’t like brown people. The Republican Party is such a cesspool of racist pieces of shit and knuckle draggers it’s pathetic. Eliminate women’s rights and harm the brown people is their main goal in life. Break things shoot things kill things.

Rant over

I know only Trapp read all of this. Greatest President: George Washington or AAbraham Lincoln (President Birthday Month) 502811600

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos, Cameron, gomersbro, Trapper Gus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 9:05

DWags wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Reagan is unquestionably the worst President of all time and the only good thing he did was lose his ability to think and continue doing horrible things

Dumb asses will never understand why the 1%  is trillions of dollars richer and the bottom half is so much worse off because of that asshole.  Armed Saddam Husseins Iraq. Gave weapons to Iran in exchange for hostages. He armed and supported the Mujahideen rebels in Afghanistan. Birth of Bin Laden and Al Qaeda.

At least 138 Reagan administration officials, including several cabinet members, were investigated for, indicted for, or convicted of crimes. This is the largest number of any U.S. president. Many of them were pardoned by Reagan or President Bush before they could even stand trial.

Lied about the “welfare queen in Chicago” getting 150k in checks. Investigation found one woman who go 8K illegally.

Divorced family man
He tripled the national debt in only eight years. Although Republicans blamed Congress for the deficits, all eight of the budgets Congress passed had less spending and smaller deficits than the budgets proposed by Reagan.

When he took office in 1981, unemployment was at 7.5% and dropping. A few months after his economic policies took effect, unemployment began to rise again. Millions of people continued to lose their jobs for the next two years until unemployment exceeded 10%. It stayed above 10% for nearly a year, peaking at 10.8%. Three years after he was elected, unemployment was still higher than when he was sworn in.

The financial deregulation and changes to the tax code that President Reagan enacted ultimately caused nearly 750 different financial institutions to fail. This cost taxpayers about $150 billion.

There’s more but fuck it. These assholes like a president as long as he doesn’t like brown people.  The Republican Party is such a cesspool of racist pieces of shit and knuckle draggers it’s pathetic. Eliminate women’s rights and harm the brown people is their main goal in life. Break things shoot things kill things.

Rant over

I know only Trapp read all of this.  Greatest President: George Washington or AAbraham Lincoln (President Birthday Month) 502811600

Great post, but too short - I only wish I could give you a plus rep vote. Greatest President: George Washington or AAbraham Lincoln (President Birthday Month) 969504605
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 9:53

I read it dwags :)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu 22 Feb 2024 - 9:18

As president, [Washington] was particularly sensitive to the diverse interests of the new country and fervent in his efforts to prevent its fragmentation. [...]

He promoted roads, canals, the post office—anything and everything that would bind the different states and regions together. …

Never taking the unity of the country for granted, he remained preoccupied throughout his presidency with creating the sinews of nationhood. … Washington, more than anyone, promoted the sense of Union that Lincoln and others would later uphold.
—From To the Best of My Ability, edited by James McPherson

It is his birthday today, after all.

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 27 Mar 2024 - 9:40

Greatest President: George Washington or AAbraham Lincoln (President Birthday Month) Scree239

--- Dwight Eisenhower ---
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down