Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh how I hate Ohio State. tWe need this one game thread.

+12
duffy munn
Zurn
Trapper Gus
Turtleneck
kingstonlake
aualum06
Motown Spartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
Nordic
steveschneider
AvgMSUJoe
DWags
16 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Oh how I hate Ohio State.  tWe need this one game thread.  - Page 4 Empty Re: Oh how I hate Ohio State. tWe need this one game thread.

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2024-02-25, 22:05

Oh how I hate Ohio State.  tWe need this one game thread.  - Page 4 502811600

When you can't defend the coach/product anymore, go after strangers on a message board. Oh how I hate Ohio State.  tWe need this one game thread.  - Page 4 969504605
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Oh how I hate Ohio State.  tWe need this one game thread.  - Page 4 Empty Re: Oh how I hate Ohio State. tWe need this one game thread.

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2024-02-25, 22:30

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Oh how I hate Ohio State.  tWe need this one game thread.  - Page 4 502811600

When you can't defend the coach/product anymore, go after strangers on a message board. Oh how I hate Ohio State.  tWe need this one game thread.  - Page 4 969504605

Do you really think Booker will transfer? He's put on weight and he's getting more PT. Izzo says he's spent hours with Booker and they're both on the same page. We all can see that Izzo has been softer with his freshmen because of the new transfer rules, so what's your reasoning?
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2024-02-25, 22:42

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Oh how I hate Ohio State.  tWe need this one game thread.  - Page 4 502811600

Do you really think Booker will transfer? He's put on weight and he's getting more PT. Izzo says he's spent hours with Booker and they're both on the same page. We all can see that Izzo has been softer with his freshmen because of the new transfer rules, so what's your reasoning?

I don't know what the kid will do, but a main reasoning I can imagine he would have in his head is that he keeps riding the bench while worse players play ahead of him.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-26, 00:31

Pervis Muldoon wrote:

Who knows if kids will transfer these days. We can  lavish praise on kids, play them constantly, tell them  they will be featured in our offense, let them play two sports and they still end up transferring to FSU.   National championship teams have transfers, last place teams do.   All you can do is keep developing your  players keep being who you are and if they stay they stay, if they don’t they don’t.  

Booker is better now than he was in November.    He’s put on 20 pounds and is playing better defense.   That’s because of Izzo.    It sucks you have to not only recruit kids every year, but re-recruit them as well.   It’s a tough gig.   But know what?   Good for the kids.   They’ve been exploited for decades.  

I hope Aikins returns.  I hope Fears heals and turns into a Mareen Cleaves like point guard.  We need Kohler and Cooper to keep improving, holiman to turn into a consistent 2, hopefully the kid we are red shirting really is a great shooter and this #7 or # 10 class coming in really is a top class.

We don’t suck.   This team just put 88 up against Illinois, it beat down Baylor and it often looks good.  It also just lost to Iowa and OSU.  

Long story short, Booker might leave, he might not. If he leaves the assholes will immediately tell you why like they actually know. They don’t.  They’re idiots on a message board.  Just like me. If he’s here, with Aikins and a years improvement from everyone, we’ll be just fine next year.  

BTW, this year ain’t over.  I’ve seen way sicker dogs get better.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2024-02-26, 06:23

Here’s something that should be eye opening. Look at the Kentucky vs Alabama game. Kentucky put up 117 points! They also scored 28 points in 6 minutes!!!!

That was vs the #13 team in the country. How’d they do it? Well they did it by focusing on offense. Yep, that’s right. Offense. You didn’t see anyone get minutes that Alabama wouldn’t have to guard.

For perspective we were only able to score 7 points in the last ten minutes.

7 points in 10 minutes = :- (

28 points in 6 minutes =. :)
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-26, 07:09

You give as good as you get OTPT
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-26, 07:28

Beilein suggested Izzo not play the bigs as much on the BTN.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-26, 07:43

https://www.mlive.com/spartans/2024/02/why-xavier-booker-started-but-didnt-finish-in-michigan-states-loss-vs-ohio-state.html
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2024-02-26, 08:40

DWags wrote:Beilein suggested Izzo not play the bigs as much on the BTN.

IIRC, his take was that Izzo has always like to play bigs but in today's basketball you are sometimes better off just having 5 guys that can play keeping in mind that those guys might be 6-7. I think he's looking at MSU with Maddy as having a big hole offensively and playing 2 limited offensive bigs at the same time doesn't make much sense.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-26, 09:06

You troll...and then play the victim.

Good stuff.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, duffy munn and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-26, 09:16

DWags wrote:
Pervis Muldoon wrote:

Who knows if kids will transfer these days. We can  lavish praise on kids, play them constantly, tell them  they will be featured in our offense, let them play two sports and they still end up transferring to FSU.   National championship teams have transfers, last place teams do.   All you can do is keep developing your  players keep being who you are and if they stay they stay, if they don’t they don’t.  

Booker is better now than he was in November.    He’s put on 20 pounds and is playing better defense.   That’s because of Izzo.    It sucks you have to not only recruit kids every year, but re-recruit them as well.   It’s a tough gig.   But know what?   Good for the kids.   They’ve been exploited for decades.  

I hope Aikins returns.  I hope Fears heals and turns into a Mareen Cleaves like point guard.  We need Kohler and Cooper to keep improving, holiman to turn into a consistent 2, hopefully the kid we are red shirting really is a great shooter and this #7 or # 10 class coming in really is a top class.

We don’t suck.   This team just put 88 up against Illinois, it beat down Baylor and it often looks good.  It also just lost to Iowa and OSU.  

Long story short, Booker might leave, he might not. If he leaves the assholes will immediately tell you why like they actually know. They don’t.  They’re idiots on a message board.  Just like me. If he’s here, with Aikins and a years improvement from everyone, we’ll be just fine next year.  

BTW, this year ain’t over.  I’ve seen way sicker dogs get better.

We dropped a spot in the NET to 24, and a spot in the BPI to 17.

Our record will drop us in the seeding relative to "computer" rankings, but it won't matter much if we're a 10 seed vs. being a 7 seed. Got a week to prepare for a 1 seed.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-02-26, 09:26

Who's going after who?

Kind of like your post about Dwags making shit up in his head about posters wanting Izzo fired, you seem to be doing the same.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2024-02-26, 10:25

Man I don’t know. Cooper and Kohler? I don’t really see a need for them to be back. Politely suggest the portal may be a better option. I say this because Royal, Key, and Okpara aren’t special and they out worked us in the middle. Just seemed to have some of that “dawg” in them. Cooper and Kohler are as un athletic as I’ve seen ever at msu. Whenever there’s a scrum, we get the ball to break out, those two always seem to be finding a way to stay on their two feet without falling into the bench. Nothing against them personally but damn you need to be more athletic.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-26, 10:29

kingstonlake wrote:Man I don’t know. Cooper and Kohler? I don’t really see a need for them to be back. Politely suggest the portal may be a better option. I say this because Royal, Key, and Okpara aren’t special and they out worked us in the middle. Just seemed to have some of that “dawg” in them. Cooper and Kohler are as un athletic as I’ve seen ever at msu. Whenever there’s a scrum, we get the ball to break out, those two always seem to be finding a way to stay on their two feet without falling into the bench. Nothing against them personally but damn you need to be more athletic.

5 fouls allowed per game is a reason to have one. of them back. I don't have any knowledge of this, just a hunch, but I think we are down two of the four bigs next year. Right now< I'd love for the two to be Kohler and Booker. Booker can play "Smaller" than 6'11". He really can be our Hunter Dickenson. But not as big of a dick.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-26, 10:43

DWags wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Man I don’t know. Cooper and Kohler? I don’t really see a need for them to be back. Politely suggest the portal may be a better option. I say this because Royal, Key, and Okpara aren’t special and they out worked us in the middle. Just seemed to have some of that “dawg” in them. Cooper and Kohler are as un athletic as I’ve seen ever at msu. Whenever there’s a scrum, we get the ball to break out, those two always seem to be finding a way to stay on their two feet without falling into the bench. Nothing against them personally but damn you need to be more athletic.

5 fouls allowed per game is a reason to have one. of them back. I don't have any knowledge of this, just a hunch, but I think we are down two of the four bigs next year. Right now< I'd love for the two to be Kohler and Booker. Booker can play "Smaller" than 6'11". He really can be our Hunter Dickenson. But not as big of a dick.

If we lose 2, I think we'll look for a true power forward/center in the portal. Whether we get one.... Oh how I hate Ohio State.  tWe need this one game thread.  - Page 4 2599972566
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2024-02-26, 10:44

DWags wrote:

My knowledge of high level basketball peaked at coaching my step daughters 6th grade team.

That being said, if Tom Izzo can’t poke his head into the portal and find better options than Kohler and Booker, then I guess we just throw our hands up and take what we get.

Any big with caller ID should see MSU and Tom Izzos phone number and pick up before the second ring even starts.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-02-26, 10:53

Agree on Kohler. Disagree on Cooper.  I think Cooper gets a bad rap because he is a 3-star goofy looking white guy. He's a solid defender, rebounder and knows what's going on. He will make a very good 4-year guy. Note, I don't think he should be a starter at this point in his career. But I do think he is better than Mady. 6-11 bigs are not dime a dozen and letting Cooper go would be a mistake IMO. He has value.

Kohler, again I think people like him because he came in with 4-stars. Better offensive skill set than Cooper (which seems to be all fans care about) but still has a long way to go. He doen't have the size to defend the 5 efficiently, which makes him a 4. Is Booker are 4 or 5? He played mostly 5 yesterday, but most people seem to think he is a 4. With Hall gone, I think he sees time at both the 4 & 5.

At this point we need better production out of the 4/5 from our bigs. Fuck. I think we can all agree on that. Booker, Cooper and two portholers would be my play. I would't bring Mady back (I think Nigel suggested he has another year) and I would simply look for an upgrade over Kohler.

Last edited by Nordic on 2024-02-26, 11:01; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn, DWags and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-02-26, 11:00

DWags wrote:

Agree. Keep one. IMO it is Cooper over Kohler for reasons mentioned above.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-26, 11:32

Nordic wrote:
DWags wrote:

I have a feeling he will "Keep" both, but will both Kohler and Cooper "Keep us"? If I was a betting man, I think you'd get your wish. Cooper I think is less likely to flee than Kohler or Booker. This, of course is just my dumb ass guess. Nothing but a feeling.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-26, 11:58

DWags wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I have a feeling he will "Keep" both, but will both Kohler and Cooper "Keep us"? If I was a betting man, I think you'd get your wish. Cooper I think is less likely to flee than Kohler or Booker. This, of course is just my dumb ass guess. Nothing but a feeling.

Personally, I think Booker would be making a huge mistake if he leaves. I also like cooper and Kohler but would understand if they either left on their own or were nudged. Unlike many ( I know we aren't allowed to discuss anything that isn't posted on this board per OTPT rules) I don't think Izzo is done. but I do to fear for the immediate future if he is.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-26, 12:16

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:

Personally, I think Booker would be making a huge mistake if he leaves. I also like cooper and Kohler but would understand if they either left on their own or were nudged. Unlike many ( I know we aren't allowed to discuss anything that isn't posted on this board per OTPT rules) I don't think Izzo is done. but I do to fear for the immediate future if he is.

Yeah, I fear an Indiana type thing happening. However, maybe Izzo helps pick. Who knows. He doesn't have an ego like Carr did at UofM. He'd love for MSU to be winning immediately after he leaves. Oddds are it doesn't happen. What do we say? You don't want to be the man that follows the man, you want to be the man that follows the man who followed the man.

BTW, that is currently happening with our football team. We have the man, who followed the man who followed THE MAN.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-02-26, 12:28

DWags wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Yeah, I guess that is kinda my thinking as well. Kohler is the odd man out IMO. He has enough skills to become a good player. I can see him looking for new opportunities.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-02-26, 12:30

DWags wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Yeah, I fear an Indiana type thing happening.  However, maybe Izzo helps pick.  Who knows.  He doesn't have an ego like Carr did at UofM.  He'd love for MSU to be winning immediately after he leaves.  Oddds are it doesn't happen.  What do we say?  You don't want to be the man that follows the man, you want to be the man that follows the man who followed the man.  

BTW, that is currently happening with our football team.  We have the man, who followed the man who followed THE MAN.

If, for some reason Izzo is not back next year, or when he does decide to retire. I would expect mass exodus of transfers. Booker, Carr and Fears most likely bolt. With the new transfer rules and NIL, it is going to be a rough transition.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2024-02-26, 13:30

Nordic wrote:
DWags wrote:

Yeah, I fear an Indiana type thing happening.  However, maybe Izzo helps pick.  Who knows.  He doesn't have an ego like Carr did at UofM.  He'd love for MSU to be winning immediately after he leaves.  Oddds are it doesn't happen.  What do we say?  You don't want to be the man that follows the man, you want to be the man that follows the man who followed the man.  

BTW, that is currently happening with our football team.  We have the man, who followed the man who followed THE MAN.

If, for some reason Izzo is not back next year, or when he does decide to retire. I would expect mass exodus of transfers. Booker, Carr and Fears most likely bolt. With the new transfer rules and NIL, it is going to be a rough transition.

If for some reason (fill in the name of a Power Five basketball coach) resigns or leaves it will be tough for almost any team to retain its best players in bidding wars the immediate transfer and NIL era have created.

Izzo has all 3 of the ‘24 class signed.

Jase Richardson - 4* - 6’3” / 180# Combo Guard

Kur Teng - 4* - 6’4”/185#  Shooting Guard

Jesse McCulloch - 3*-  6’9/190# Power Forward

There will be PT available.  Players in the rotation leaving:

Graduate Students; PG Walker and PF Hall
Seniors - CG Hoggard and C Sissoko
Fears will be back and could be granted a redshirt
Normand will be coming off his redshirt

Izzo isn’t going anywhere unless he has a major medical issue arise.

I’m not one the always hair on fire “fan” saying Izzo can’t coach after every loss.

At this point those jackwagons can donate their MSU gear and start posting on boards joining higher frequency whiners.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-26, 15:14

He’s not wrong. We need to rest Tyson. Everybody that’s played basketball knows how important your legs are for your shot. Look at the stats of his last three games

[tw]1762203459611181254?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-02-26, 15:29

DWags wrote:He’s not wrong. We need to rest Tyson. Everybody that’s played basketball knows how important your legs are for your shot. Look at the stats of his last three games

Aikens looked like he had plenty of energy, but couldn't hit the shot. Including a couple layups. I think they have been semi-resting Walker through sets. He's not been as active driving to the lane the last 3 games.

Izzo decided to play D upfront and put the game in his guards hands on O. It didn't work. My biggest problem with that decision is you made the choice to start Booker. Live and die with till the end. It might not of been pretty on the defensive end. But you died anyway.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-26, 16:00

GRR Spartan wrote:
Nordic wrote:

If for some reason (fill in the name of a Power Five basketball coach) resigns or leaves it will be tough for almost any team to retain its best players in bidding wars the immediate transfer and NIL era have created.

Izzo has all 3 of the ‘24 class signed.

Jase Richardson - 4* - 6’3” / 180# Combo Guard

Kur Teng - 4* - 6’4”/185#  Shooting Guard

Jesse McCulloch - 3*-  6’9/190# Power Forward

There will be PT available.  Players in the rotation leaving:

Graduate Students; PG Walker and PF Hall
Seniors - CG Hoggard and C Sissoko
Fears will be back and could be granted a redshirt
Normand will be coming off his redshirt

Izzo isn’t going anywhere unless he has a major medical issue arise.

I’m not one the always hair on fire “fan” saying Izzo can’t coach after every loss.

At this point those jackwagons can donate their MSU gear and start posting on boards joining higher frequency whiners.

Hoggard and Sissoko can play one more year. But, I wouldn't be shocked if we're looking for 4 new starters next season.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-02-26, 16:59

Nordic wrote:
DWags wrote:He’s not wrong. We need to rest Tyson.   Everybody that’s played basketball knows how important your legs are for your shot.  Look at the stats of his last three games

Aikens looked like he had plenty of energy, but couldn't hit the shot. Including a couple layups. I think they have been semi-resting Walker through sets. He's not been as active driving to the lane the last 3 games.

Izzo decided to play D upfront and put the game in his guards hands on O. It didn't work. My biggest problem with that decision is you made the choice to start Booker. Live and die with till the end. It might not of been pretty on the defensive end. But you died anyway.
Looked like he had enough bounce when he got stuffed, OSU guy just made a play.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2024-02-26, 21:31

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Pervis Muldoon wrote:

I don't know what the kid will do, but a main reasoning I can imagine he would have in his head is that he keeps riding the bench while worse players play ahead of him.

He also has two very successful role models for his situation in Draymond and Tillman. Both were unlikely NBA players, with Draymond now being a future hall-of-famer. They will tell Booker to trust the process and trust Izzo. They would make an extremely compelling case to stay the course.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

duffy munn, DWags, Trapper Gus and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4