Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Border Patrol Can "Search" Your Electronic Devices at the Border

+2
kingstonlake
Trapper Gus
6 posters

Go down

The Border Patrol Can "Search" Your Electronic Devices at the Border Empty The Border Patrol Can "Search" Your Electronic Devices at the Border

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-05-01, 08:39

The search of electronic devices has raised civil rights concerns due to the amount of information they contain, with the Supreme Court unanimously ruling in Riley v. California that police officers must obtain a warrant in order to search a person’s device under Fourth Amendment, which prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures.

However, searches at the border receive an exception to the Fourth Amendment, allowing federal officers to conduct routine inspections and searches of individuals at the U.S. border without probable cause or reasonable suspicion of criminal activity.

https://michiganadvance.com/briefs/peters-presses-dhs-officials-on-searching-electronic-devices-at-the-border/

I knew out current Supreme Court had given carte blanche authority to the BP to perform warrantless searches of private property within the "border zones" (all of Michigan), I didn't realize they had done this for people crossing the border.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

The Border Patrol Can "Search" Your Electronic Devices at the Border Empty Re: The Border Patrol Can "Search" Your Electronic Devices at the Border

Post by kingstonlake 2024-05-01, 08:51

Mayorkas is crushing it….
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

The Border Patrol Can "Search" Your Electronic Devices at the Border Empty Re: The Border Patrol Can "Search" Your Electronic Devices at the Border

Post by Cameron 2024-05-01, 10:22

These federal officers, who do they work for?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-05-01, 10:26

Cameron wrote:These federal officers, who do they work for?

Donald Trump next January 21.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-05-01, 10:33

DWags wrote:

HEATHER COX RICHARDSON wrote:Time magazine published a cover story by Eric Cortellessa about what Trump is planning for a second term. Based on two interviews with Trump and conversations with more than a dozen of his closest advisors, the story lays out Trump’s conviction that he was “too nice” in his first term and that he would not make such a mistake again.

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/p/april-30-2024
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2024-05-01, 11:20

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2018-Jan/CBP-Directive-3340-049A-Border-Search-of-Electronic-Media-Compliant.pdf

Kirsten Nielsen was the DHS acting director, added the directive in 2018

Reviewed in 2021…..

The Border Patrol Can "Search" Your Electronic Devices at the Border Img_2412

Last edited by kingstonlake on 2024-05-01, 11:25; edited 2 times in total
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-05-01, 11:22

DWags wrote:

So you have discerned where I was going with that line of questioning. Should Biden simps who oppose this policy not reckon with his ability to influence it?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-05-01, 12:00

Cameron wrote:
DWags wrote:

So you have discerned where I was going with that line of questioning. Should Biden simps who oppose this policy not reckon with his ability to influence it?

Nah, I was going with Gen Z’s desire for an authoritarian form of government. Not that they can bring it. It’s their desire to allow it.

There is a big difference, in elections past, Where a group or a block of voters said screw you to one of the main two, and as a result the other guy won. I can think of Perot in 92 and Nadar in 2000. The guy that was voted in, because they were showing their ticket That even a small percentage can control an election, Weren’t horrifying as presidents. (That can be debated I’m sure). But the guy we’re going to get this time because of it might destroy our democratic Republic as we know it

It’s a hell of a thing.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-05-01, 12:05

TDS aside, do you not recognize that Joe Biden, as head of state, has some ability to influence the official actions carried out by federal employees acting in their official capacities?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-05-01, 12:34

Cameron wrote:TDS aside, do you not recognize that Joe Biden, as head of state, has some ability to influence the official actions carried out by federal employees acting in their official capacities?

Yes.   If you are asking me, whether I agree with this particular policy, I would say absolutely not  

Does that mean I’m going to pull my vote from him?   No, It doesn’t.  

I’m not going around with you on this again and again   I don’t like our two choices for president. One of them is going to be exactly that next Nanuary.  I’m voting for Biden    

Do what you Gotta do   Honestly, I could care less at this point.   I would tell you to read the time magazine stuff, And give you that old beaten down phrase when somebody tells you who they are believe them.   But I don’t give a shit if you believe him or not.    I just hope you vote and vote your conscious
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2024-05-01, 12:38

I saw some lady who was saying the only thing that could rein him in from doing something colossally stupid was to tell him it could hurt his re-election chances. She said he will not have those voices this time. It’ll be filled with people who will tell him what he wants to hear.

That was kinda scary.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-05-01, 12:46

Why are we talking about who people are voting for in this thread? Not every single political topic needs to be about the election 100% of the time. Especially not on a board that no one reads and no one’s mind is going to be changed.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan and Cameron like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2024-05-01, 12:53

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Why are we talking about who people are voting for in this thread? Not every single political topic needs to be about the election 100% of the time. Especially not on a board that no one reads and no one’s mind is going to be changed.

Well look who didn't read the synopsis of this board:
The Swill Bin, An Off-Topic Forum

A light and fun forum full of open-minded people who are interested in hearing your opinions. You will probably have a lasting and profound effect on people's lives by engaging in meaningful debates which could change peoples minds.

jocolor
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-05-01, 12:56

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Why are we talking about who people are voting for in this thread? Not every single political topic needs to be about the election 100% of the time. Especially not on a board that no one reads and no one’s mind is going to be changed.

It's called Trump Derangement Syndrome. I thought it was made up until DWags started showing symptoms. I'm not even asking him not to vote for Biden (I didn't bring up the election at all), I was just hoping for some recognition that Biden is less than perfect and evidence that sanity still exists in the world.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2024-05-01, 13:31

Oh he’s far from perfect Cam. And I’ll bring it up a lot. This thread is a good example.

That being said he’s got my vote. Mainly because the alternative (sorry Travis) is not even remotely acceptable.

Maybe I have TDS and see that there’s plenty of room for improvement with the current fella. Both can be true, bud.

Maybe I should stick to greatest song ever threads. lol!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-05-01, 13:34

Cameron wrote:

It's called Trump Derangement Syndrome. I thought it was made up until DWags started showing symptoms..

I couldn’t be more clear. I’m beyond frightened by him. So yeah, label me whatever. Like I say, I could give a shit at this point.

Biden could do a lot more. For migrants, for Gaza, for the general good. That’s a tough needle to thread.

Travis, it’s not about voting in this thread to me. It’s about getting to 2028. Shedding this monster dealing with Biden for four years and hoping someone steps up.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-05-02, 08:57

To why Biden hasn't "fixed" this...

1) As a political thing the next attack by someone who came through customs if the regulations were changed.

2) Since the regulation is in place it would need to go through the rule making process.

3) The issue is in the courts, so it needs to play out there.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down