Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Basketball team concerns

+17
WhiteBoyHatcher
Stoops21
Wally Fairway
Other Teams Pursuing That
HT
duffy munn
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
InTenSity
steveschneider
NigelUno
SeeRockCity
AMwood
SawGreen
Ass Dan
kingstonlake
tanfan!
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Basketball team concerns - Page 2 Empty Re: Basketball team concerns

Post by tanfan! Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:53 pm

Wally Fairway wrote:

Basketball team concerns - Page 2 1550444538   Basketball team concerns - Page 2 1550444538   Basketball team concerns - Page 2 1550444538 

I want to subscribe to the Tanner panic newsletter - because I'm afraid I've missed you concerns for the hockey team/program, WHoops, and how is the tennis team looking for this year?

A program that once reloaded with McDonalds all Americans now resorts to replacing players the head coach jettisons on a yearly basis with transfers from unknown colleges who may or may not be worthy of big ten play. Izzo is a fighter and the team might be fun to watch but last year was his best shot at winning it all again for quite some time. The game chats will be fun.  jocolor 
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:59 pm

I'm guessing a top 4 finish this year for MSU in conference. Wisky has to be the clear cut favorite, then there is a drop off. I'd say MSU, UM and O$U in the next tier. I have no idea what IU will be like, but I don't think they finished all that strong and lost quite a bit, Crean appears to be on the hotseat, or the warmer seat. Illinois and Purdue are shells of themselves. Nebraska finished well, them and Iowa are top half of the conference. B1G will probably get 6-8 teams in the dance. MSU will be in as a 6 seed.
1. Wisky
2. O$U 
3. um
4. MSU
5. Iowa
6. Nebraska
7. UMD
8. Minny
9. IU
10. Purdue
11. Illinois
12. UN
13. PSU
14. Rutgers
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:02 pm

NigelUno wrote:

Thought we made the Elite 8 and lost to the eventual National Champ.  Was that last year?
Lost appling, Harris, Payne, and kk.

The team didn't give a shit for half the year. When shit goes bad this year are they going to be able to fight through it?
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:02 pm

So . Hypothetical entirely.

Would anybody here prefer to have a athletic dorm with big televisions, private chefs, etc. Have bag men as regular visitors. Score on top 10 recruits by paying appearance fees for NCAA official campus visits. And a coach who could give a shit about the "student athlete".....

vs. the antithesis to all of the above?
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:42 pm

Schedule - With the Legend coming to town to open the season!!

Basketball team concerns - Page 2 BvmR2jYIIAE4AD8
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:43 pm

Basketball team concerns - Page 2 BvmRmmwIMAA4cA7
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:47 pm

Tanfan! wrote:

Basketball team concerns - Page 2 3742235224  the tea blowers.  It worked.   Basketball team concerns - Page 2 685334576 

Weak troll bro, you caught a guppy
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:54 pm

steveschneider wrote:I think the problem is Izzo needs to adjust to the times and upgrade his offense.

You mean like shooting more 3s?  

3pt attempts by year
'13-'14 766
'12-'13 523
'11-'12 534
'10-'11 620
'09-'10 543
'08-'09 567
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:44 pm

Stoops21 wrote:I would bet 20 bucks we miss the tournament. Last year was brutal and the play defense and grind it out does not work anymore. Recruit some shooters and worry less about putting on football pads inside the paint. Sick of watching us shoot 28 percent while the other team can't miss.

Stoops21 wrote:
Lost appling, Harris, Payne, and kk.

The team didn't give a shit for half the year. When shit goes bad this year are they going to be able to fight through it?

So, your retort to me saying we went to the Elite 8 last year, is to say we lost 4 players?  Suspect 

And the team didn't give a shit half the year? You mean when guys were hurt, or some other half of the year?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:48 pm

SawGreen wrote:So .  Hypothetical entirely.

Would anybody here prefer to have a athletic dorm with big televisions, private chefs, etc.  Have bag men as regular visitors.  Score on top 10 recruits by paying appearance fees for NCAA official campus visits. And a coach who could give a shit about the "student athlete".....

I think an "athletic" dorm would be nice. I'm OK with a private chef too.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:56 pm

Premium posters have been getting paid appearance fees for years to attend rcmb tailgates
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:57 pm

You are truly a legendary master baiter, but this effort needed a blue pill.

Then again, I know you put this out as foreplay, were't trying to get it up with this effort.

Also, "yes" to that one part, and "no" to the other. That should set things straight.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:58 pm

Tanfan! wrote:Premium posters have been getting paid appearance fees for years to attend rcmb tailgates

But only at our Florida gaytes do they get to eat my meat.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:39 pm

SawGreen wrote:So .  Hypothetical entirely.

Would anybody here prefer to have a athletic dorm with big televisions, private chefs, etc.  Have bag men as regular visitors.  Score on top 10 recruits by paying appearance fees for NCAA official campus visits. And a coach who could give a shit about the "student athlete".....

Other than a bag man, there is absolutely no reason not to have any of those things. That's the standard today, and if we don't have it, we will lose out on recruits.

And don't tell me "Oh, I want guys who want to be Spartans!". Yeah, no shit. But high level recruits have a lot of great options. There are great places to be that aren't Michigan State. If it comes down to a coin flip, why not live in a nice dorm with better food and a private jet?
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:30 am

Raise your hand if you're serious in this thread.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:46 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Raise your hand if you're serious in this thread.

Basketball team concerns - Page 2 3003718628 
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:24 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Raise your hand if you're serious in this thread.

1 1/2 people sort of fell for it. This ain't tRCMB.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:19 am

Nordic wrote:

You mean like shooting more 3s?   

3pt attempts by year
'13-'14 766
'12-'13 523
'11-'12 534
'10-'11 620
'09-'10 543
'08-'09 567

I think they need to make bigger adjustments than just jacking a lot more 3s. Despite that stat there were a lot of 2nd half stretches last season where the Spartans went completely cold onoffense. I think it was a combo of things, but one that I think is easy to point out is that foul trouble disrupted the flow of the game for MSU.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:27 am

I think they need to make bigger adjustments than just jacking a lot more 3s. Despite that stat there were a lot of 2nd half stretches last season where the Spartans went completely cold onoffense. I think it was a combo of things, but one that I think is easy to point out is that foul trouble disrupted the flow of the game for MSU.
I thought part of the reason they went cold is they lacked an inside game. When they had Nix and Payne there was an inside out game. Last year after Appling was injured we didn't have anyone to attack the rim. Payne wanted to work on his 3 point game, but he never seemed to want to bang it down low. I thought that MSU jacked up too many 3's and took too many contested shots. I don't want to see teams pass it around the perimeter and play Wisky ball. 

MSU still has to combat its image of a physical team, and I'm not sure what is going to change that. Even when they aren't physical they get hit with ticky tack fouls. I don't mean to bring Bobby into this thread, but at the start of the game against UConn, I turned to my wife and said that we were screwed and going to lose the game because of how it was being officiated. Payne was getting triple teamed and hacked all over the place with no calls, then we would accidentally brush a guards arm while he was behind the 3 point line and it was a foul.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:25 am

InTenSity wrote:
I thought part of the reason they went cold is they lacked an inside game. When they had Nix and Payne there was an inside out game. Last year after Appling was injured we didn't have anyone to attack the rim. Payne wanted to work on his 3 point game, but he never seemed to want to bang it down low. I thought that MSU jacked up too many 3's and took too many contested shots. I don't want to see teams pass it around the perimeter and play Wisky ball. 

MSU still has to combat its image of a physical team, and I'm not sure what is going to change that. Even when they aren't physical they get hit with ticky tack fouls. I don't mean to bring Bobby into this thread, but at the start of the game against UConn, I turned to my wife and said that we were screwed and going to lose the game because of how it was being officiated. Payne was getting triple teamed and hacked all over the place with no calls, then we would accidentally brush a guards arm while he was behind the 3 point line and it was a foul.

I can agree with this...the best MSU offenses always had 2 bigs that would OWN the paint and the glass. They could turn a brick into either a put back or a trip to the freethrow line

The worst officiating I saw all season was the Harvard MSU game. Harvard played very physical in the second half There was no consistency what so ever in the way they were calling that game from one side of the floor to the other.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:38 am

The worst officiating I saw all season was the Harvard MSU game. Harvard played very physical in the second half There was no consistency what so ever in the way they were calling that game from one side of the floor to the other.
I don't remember the officiating in games that we win, only the ones we lose. That being said, Harvard was allowed to come back from a 20 point deficit, weren't they?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:52 am

InTenSity wrote:
I don't remember the officiating in games that we win, only the ones we lose. That being said, Harvard was allowed to come back from a 20 point deficit, weren't they?

I had no problem with the way Harvard played, I love physical basketball and I'm sad to see that kind basketball go. I can't remember specific moments, I just remember Harvard playing Payne very physically and no calls.

To be fair though, I thought Harvard played great that game and MSU got comfortable with their lead. I'm not calling it a ref conspiracy at all. I was used to games where the refs would call the first half differently than the second half, this was one of those games where I thought the refs were calling the game differently for one half of the floor than the other side of the floor for a stretch of the game.

At this point though I've accepted that from time to time really bad reffing is just part of basketball.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:15 pm

steveschneider wrote:

The point it is Izzo changed the offensive considerably last year and if you look at the type of recruits he is bringing in, the 3-ball is the way he is going. It's not just "jacking more threes".
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Rodeo Burger wrote:

Other than a bag man, there is absolutely no reason not to have any of those things.  That's the standard today, and if we don't have it, we will lose out on recruits.

And don't tell me "Oh, I want guys who want to be Spartans!".  Yeah, no shit.  But high level recruits have a lot of great options.  There are great places to be that aren't Michigan State.  If it comes down to a coin flip, why not live in a nice dorm with better food and a private jet?

Michigan State isn't a one-trick pony like Kentucky or UConn. Trying to keep up with the jones's would be pretty hard without paying due attention to football too.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:55 pm

Stoops21 wrote:I would bet 20 bucks we miss the tournament. Last year was brutal and the play defense and grind it out does not work anymore. Recruit some shooters and worry less about putting on football pads inside the paint. Sick of watching us shoot 28 percent while the other team can't miss.
So, is this a good bet or what?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2