Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new layout for the Freep is a dumpster fire.

+8
Turtleneck
Giant Moose
tGreenWay
Nommad2
Robert J Sakimano
AvgMSUJoe
InTenSity
Jake from State Farm
12 posters

Go down

The new layout for the Freep is a dumpster fire. Empty The new layout for the Freep is a dumpster fire.

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-09-16, 08:05

I click on sports, it goes to autos. I click on autos it goes to autos, I click on life it goes to autos. Good job Freep. Maybe next time you should Beta test your website before you roll it out.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The new layout for the Freep is a dumpster fire. Empty Re: The new layout for the Freep is a dumpster fire.

Post by InTenSity 2014-09-16, 08:10

It works for me. Are you on mobile, or desktop?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The new layout for the Freep is a dumpster fire. Empty Re: The new layout for the Freep is a dumpster fire.

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-09-16, 08:13

InTenSity wrote:It works for me. Are you on mobile, or desktop?

Desktop, I suppose websense could be f'ing with it.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-09-16, 08:15

Mine worked... but the layout still sucks.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-09-16, 08:17

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Mine worked... but the layout still sucks.

Don't they always say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-09-16, 08:18

Blue Wall
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-09-16, 09:19

Jake from State Farm wrote:I click on sports, it goes to autos. I click on autos it goes to autos, I click on life it goes to autos. Good job Freep. Maybe next time you should Beta test your website before you roll it out.
I'm not impressed this after my 1st visit this morning, but then again I still hate SI's new layout.   Why do these people have to fuck with something that's working?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-09-16, 09:23

LooseGoose wrote:
I'm not impressed this after my 1st visit this morning, but then again I still hate SI's new layout.   Why do these people have to fuck with something that's working?
Programmers need jobs too!
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nommad2 2014-09-16, 09:47

Sounds like user error. Worked fine for me.
Nommad2
Nommad2
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-09-16, 10:23

Nommad2 wrote:Sounds like user error. Worked fine for me.

I'm pretty sure it's websense f'ing with it. If I don't click on "sports" everything works fine now.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2014-09-16, 10:41

To those of you bitching about unnecessary change: Welcome to cranky old man status. You're gonna love it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-09-16, 10:44

It's a shame Gannett is giving all of their sites the USA Today look. It's probably a lot easier to manage but they continuously seem to kill any local flair a paper has. It's basically the opposite of what they should be doing.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-09-16, 11:12

Giant Moose wrote:It's a shame Gannett is giving all of their sites the USA Today look. It's probably a lot easier to manage but they continuously seem to kill any local flair a paper has. It's basically the opposite of what they should be doing.

As soon as a I saw the layout, I was reminded that the Freep is a Gannett company. My local paper has the exact same layout, which is, as you said, the USA Today layout.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-09-16, 11:32

Turtleneck wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:It's a shame Gannett is giving all of their sites the USA Today look. It's probably a lot easier to manage but they continuously seem to kill any local flair a paper has. It's basically the opposite of what they should be doing.

As soon as a I saw the layout, I was reminded that the Freep is a Gannett company. My local paper has the exact same layout, which is, as you said, the USA Today layout.

Obviously it's more cost effective & efficient to run all the papers on a single platform. I suppose they could let them choose from a handful of templates, but that costs extra & newspapers don't have money to burn these days.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-09-16, 12:00

'local flair' doesn't really hold up on the world wide web. It's all about a massive communication/information tool that is shrinking our planet.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-09-16, 12:37

steveschneider wrote:

'local flair' doesn't really hold up on the world wide web. It's all about a massive communication/information tool that is shrinking our planet.
Local flair is the only reason to even visit a local newspaper's site. But they've downsized local staffs incredibly, outsourced editors/sales/etc. to other markets, and made everything homogeneous from market to market.

Local content that you can't get anywhere else is what they should be focusing on.

Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-09-16, 12:42

Giant Moose wrote:
Local flair is the only reason to even visit a local newspaper's site. But they've downsized local staffs incredibly, outsourced editors/sales/etc. to other markets, and made everything homogeneous from market to market.

Local content that you can't get anywhere else is what they should be focusing on.

My neighbor used to do local sports for the LSJ, they did away with his position a few years ago. Another guy I know did the graphics for advertising and other stuff there. They outsourced that to India or some other part of the planet.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2014-09-16, 12:55

Seems ok to me, at least on the mobile version. Of course, my expectations were pretty low since I read this thread prior to trying it out.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-09-16, 14:01

Giant Moose wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Knight Ridder tried that in the early 2000's. It was a complete fail.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-09-16, 14:14

Heat Miser wrote:

I think it's a little unfair to compare 2014 to 2000. Newspapers handled online terribly at that time and often newsrooms were divided between online and print -- just straight up idiocy.

Today, Gannett should be better positioned to really own each local market  online but their strategy seems to be to push USA Today, which no one reads unless they are 60+ at a hotel.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-09-16, 15:09

I still go to mlive and the "local" was beat out of those papers...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-09-16, 15:45

tGreenWay wrote:To those of you bitching about unnecessary change:  Welcome to cranky old man status.  You're gonna love it.  
I've been moving into cranky old man status for 5-7 years now.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-09-16, 15:56

LooseGoose wrote:
I've been moving into cranky old man status for 5-7 years now.
really?

we never noticed.. Wink
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-09-16, 16:02

Giant Moose wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

I think it's a little unfair to compare 2014 to 2000. Newspapers handled online terribly at that time and often newsrooms were divided between online and print -- just straight up idiocy.

Today, Gannett should be better positioned to really own each local market  online but their strategy seems to be to push USA Today, which no one reads unless they are 60+ at a hotel.

Studies & history have consistently shown that local content is expensive & doesn't drive enough revenue to justify the expense. There's just not enough money in it, so the big boys don't put much effort into it. The new layout for the Freep is a dumpster fire. 2599972566
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-09-16, 19:30

It actually depends on the size of the market. In a really small market, local content is the main driving force. In really large markets, local is in demand. Its medium sized markets that have to go with generic national news to be even marginally profitable. I just made that up.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-09-16, 19:32

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
really?

we never noticed..  Wink
lol, my next step will be to shoot some young snot so I can be your hero.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-09-16, 19:32

Rocinante wrote:It actually depends on the size of the market. In a really small market, local content is the main driving force. In really large markets, local is in demand. Its medium sized markets that have to go with generic national news to be even marginally profitable. I just made that up.
It made sense to me.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-09-18, 08:11

Detnews has the exact same layout as well. Are Freep and Detnews run by the same company? I still find it hard to believe that there are enough subs to have 2 papers in Detroit.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-09-18, 08:16

InTenSity wrote:Detnews has the exact same layout as well. Are Freep and Detnews run by the same company? I still find it hard to believe that there are enough subs to have 2 papers in Detroit.

There's some kind of joint operating agreement between them. One or the other would have been out of business by now without it.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down