Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sick of the playoff talk already

+10
Townie
AvgMSUJoe
Rodeo Burger
InTenSity
Rocinante
MasonGuy
Other Teams Pursuing That
NigelUno
steveschneider
gomersbro
14 posters

Go down

Sick of the playoff talk already Empty Sick of the playoff talk already

Post by gomersbro 10/13/2014, 2:05 pm

And judging by this Jerry Palm (CBS) article I already see it is just going to be a popularity contest. I'm forecasting some bullshit where Marshall wins out, gets the four seed due to political correctness, and 2 SEC teams and the PAC12 winner or Notre Dame fill the remaining spots.

College football lasted 100+ years without a "National Champion". Why does this generation need to have a playoff? College football should end on New Year's Day!
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Sick of the playoff talk already Empty Re: Sick of the playoff talk already

Post by steveschneider 10/13/2014, 2:12 pm

gomersbro wrote:And judging by this Jerry Palm (CBS) article I already see it is just going to be a popularity contest. I'm forecasting some bullshit where Marshall wins out, gets the four seed due to political correctness, and 2 SEC teams and the PAC12 winner or Notre Dame fill the remaining spots.

College football lasted 100+ years without a "National Champion". Why does this generation need to have a playoff? College football should end on New Year's Day!

Meet the new system, same as the old system.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 10/13/2014, 2:22 pm

Marshall?

You sure Jerry Palm doesn't write for the Onion?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 10/13/2014, 2:26 pm

You want the National Champion to be decided by voters at the end of the year? A poll?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonGuy 10/13/2014, 2:27 pm

I don't like that seemingly the only focus is to get to the football "Final Four". 10-2 is now a record that needs to be explained because it is considered a failure. We would have KILLED for that a few years ago.

It doesn't matter to me. We are kicking ass and taking names and I love it.
MasonGuy
MasonGuy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 10/13/2014, 2:28 pm

For me the B1G championship has regained a lot of importance because beyond that it's so arbitrary.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 10/13/2014, 2:35 pm

MasonGuy wrote:I don't like that seemingly the only focus is to get to the football "Final Four".  10-2 is now a record that needs to be explained because it is considered a failure.  We would have KILLED for that a few years ago.  

It doesn't matter to me.  We are kicking ass and taking names and I love it.
If we were just coming off of a 7-6 season our expectations would be much lower than they are right now. As it stands we returned a big chunk of our offense and our defense has been pretty stout for the last 3-5 years. That has raised everyone's expectations and given MSU a sliver a chance to be talked about when discussing a NC. 
Do you think Minny is thinking NC? I don't, but I do think they are thinking conference championship and their fans will be beyond ecstatic to get there. Nebraska fans just want to get to the championship game and win the conference.
MSU is just in a different place, and 2 years ago we would have been happy with making the CCG and a good bowl. Now people think we are ready to compete for national championships so our expectations are higher. I think it makes watching other games that much more exciting. I took a 3 hour nap yesterday from 2-5 with NFL redzone on, snooze fest.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 10/13/2014, 2:41 pm

Rocinante wrote:For me the B1G championship has regained a lot of importance because beyond that it's so arbitrary.

I feel the same way, but the national media only wants to talk about playoff teams.

When you dismiss the seasons of 120+ teams, something is wrong.

Can you imagine how giddy Iowa or Michigan fans would be just to win the division, let alone the B1G/
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 10/13/2014, 2:43 pm

Yall realize the same happend with the BCS. Right?

One loss dropped you from the NC hunt.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 10/13/2014, 2:51 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Yall realize the same happend with the BCS. Right?

One loss dropped you from the NC hunt.

True.

In the pre-BCS bowl era, lots of teams went to bowls, won the game, and ended the year feeling like they had a great year. Fans were happy, players were happy, etc.

Now most teams are done with their season for a week or two before the championship game is even played.

I do like the current system better because it's much more likely for MSU to be deemed top 4 by a committee than top 2 by coaches and media, but I wish the Rose Bowl was reserved for B1G and Pac12 champs only...and like in the BCS era, they can opt out if invited to the playoffs.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Townie 10/13/2014, 2:59 pm

Nothing has changed. Now it's an argument about if you're #5 instead of #4 rather that #3 vs #2.

I hate the talk about the playoff. It takes away my enjoyment of the season. Now every win is discussed in terms of the "narrative."
Townie
Townie
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 10/13/2014, 3:03 pm

I'm not worried..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 10/13/2014, 3:05 pm

If the committee screws the pooch and comes up with some bullshit placement of Marshall. (Who would lose by 30 to any legit participant) They are going to torpedo the credibility of the whole event and it will cost every one millions in opportunity costs.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 10/13/2014, 3:12 pm

Rocinante wrote:For me the B1G championship has regained a lot of importance because beyond that it's so arbitrary.

This.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 10/13/2014, 3:22 pm

All the talk of who has who in their final 4 is absurd, but I get it.  WTF else are they going to talk about?

Someone mentioned in this thread, but it has devalued the seasons of the teams that are not in the conversation.  With the BCS there was talk about who would be the final two, but it was such a narrow focus it didn't drive the entire conversation (most, but not all).  There was still a lot of talk about which 10 teams would make the BCS bowls and who would win their respective conference.  Now we are just talking about the top 4.  Teams like Wisky and Nebraska are now after thoughts, even though the are still in the BIG title chase.

This has got to somehow evolve into 8 team conference champions playoff.  Then the topics shifts from what Oregon is doing compared to Mississippi State (how the fuck to you compare the two?) to a conference focus (more like it was before).
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 10/13/2014, 3:46 pm

Imagine an 8 team playoff with home games for the first round... bonar
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte