Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but...

+17
Wally Fairway
Robert J Sakimano
The_Dude
Cym Jim
Brock Middlebrook
InTenSity
SpartanInNH
Stoops21
steveschneider
MiamiSpartan
WhiteBoyHatcher
Herbie Green
Watch Out Pylon!
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
Rocinante
Heat Miser
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but... - Page 2 Empty Re: Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but...

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Also (and I will preface this by saying I don't give a shit about what is going on with other teams across the country), there is the fact that as soon as we lost to OSU, our season became completely meaningless. Just playing out the string. OSU wasn't going to lose twice so it was a no brainer that we were going to whiff on ALL of the team's stated goals.

I'm not downplaying a 10-2 season but given the high expectations that Dantonio has earned and stated, there's not a whole lot of drama left riding on the remaining schedule.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but... - Page 2 Empty Re: Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but...

Post by Rocinante Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:56 pm

Rutgers has always been my other favorite mediocre team.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:57 pm

The_Dude wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Disappointed & embarrassed, yes. Mad? That's your projection "Dude".

Small aside: if I were so empowered I would strip you of "The_Dude" name. Your posting style is nearly the complete opposite of "Dude-like".

In a world where alabama cant even fill up their stadium, im not going to rag on MSU. Again...'Bama is filing up a 100k stadium. We're filling 75k. Even against Podunk State, 'Bama will outdraw us by 20k.

Guys, its going to take and entire generation of MSU being a consistent winning program before our fanbase will be what we want it to be. 5 years of success is nothing. 1st it was "win & they'll come". Now it's "win for a generation and we'll come". Rolling Eyes

I went to Nebraska, UM and OSU games. Will not be going to this one. Terrible opponent and not going to wake up at 5am just to tailgate in freezing weather. Why do you have to tailgate? Wake up at 11:45 and head to the game

Also, the concession and bathroom situation at Spartan Stadium is the worst on D1. How that still hasn't been fixed is real bad. Eat before game. Don't drink. Problem solved. You won't need to use concessions or bathroom

Maybe when I am older and need to use football games as an excuse to get away from the wife and kids, I will go. But while im in my 20s and free, there are much better things to do than go to this game. like watch it on TV

You get a limited number of chances in your lifetime to go to SS kids. Don't piss them away. You never know where jobs & family will take you when you're all grown up.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:00 pm

Heat Miser wrote:

You get a limited number of chances in your lifetime to go to SS kids. Don't piss them away. You never know where jobs & family will take you when you're all grown up.

This is true. I went to nearly every game when I was a student. Keep in mind the coaches were Bobby and JLS when I was at State. So hello from up here on my high horse.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:00 pm

I'll be at the Rutgers game. Mostly because it's the last tailgate of the year. Bloody Mary will be on the menu for a rare noon kickoff.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but... - Page 2 Alabama-student-section
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:02 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Also (and I will preface this by saying I don't give a shit about what is going on with other teams across the country), there is the fact that as soon as we lost to OSU, our season became completely meaningless. Just playing out the string. OSU wasn't going to lose twice so it was a no brainer that we were going to whiff on ALL of the team's stated goals.

I'm not downplaying a 10-2 seasonbut given the high expectations that Dantonio has earned and stated, there's not a whole lot of drama left riding on the remaining schedule.

Sure seems like your are. So they could've just mailed it in and finished 7-6 & that would be the same as 11-2 & you'd be fine with that? That are over 100 other programs that would love to have the problems we have right now...including our program from 1968 - 2009.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:04 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I'll be at the Rutgers game. Mostly because it's the last tailgate of the year. Bloody Mary will be on the menu for a rare noon kickoff.

It's also senior day. Those guys win out and they'll be tied for the most wins by a class in school history.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:05 pm

Heat Miser wrote:

Or maybe the problem is that people just don't care all that much?

Well, I guess that is a simple answer. So we are just a basketball school? Basketball

I thought this thread was more about why people aren't coming or staying at the games. There are a lot of reasons for that, and it's not that we aren't winning enough. I already gave those reasons.

Fans who bitch about attendance love to point the finger at JUST the fans, but MSU has to do their part too. And they are not.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:06 pm

I was at the 9/11 make up game.

The weather was nice. We won.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:07 pm

Heat Miser wrote:

Playoff contender coming off a 13-1 Rose Bowl winning season. I'd expect sellouts for every game. Why sellouts against the shitty opponents? Because it should be damn near impossible to get a ticket to one of the good ones and you want to see a top 10 team play. Your team is the top 10 team.

We could go back to the Booby/Slappy days and get nearly the same results while saving a ton of cash on coaching salaries.
I don't disagree with your first point at all, but I do strongly disagree with the second. I've always heard that the OSU game in 2006 was a real wake up call for the administration. Not only was it about half OSU fans for the game, but MSU fans left early in droves, so it was 75-80% OSU left in the stands by the end of the game. That game displayed apathy among MSU fans. Pissed off fans aren't going to kill a program, apathy will. And apathy extends far beyond ticket sales. Ticket sales are only one piece of the pie, and I'd guess a relatively small piece compared to merchandise and donations. Are those still hovering at 2001-2007 levels? No way.

Yeah, our fans our spoiled pussies. Not the people here, of course (though some of you are), but the fanbase in general. The flip side of that is that if attendance hasn't drastically changed in good or bad seasons, then it shows we aren't filling up with bandwagoners, and the ones that are going now, were going in the tough seasons as well (late in trainwreck seasons of 2002 and 2006 would be obvious exceptions). Hell, we've been Top 25 nationally in attendance for 60+ consecutive years. Maybe we're a consistent 65-70K/game fanbase. It's good to know this now rather than having a bunch of bandwagoners make the administration think of expanding the stadium only to then never fill it.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:10 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Or maybe the problem is that people just don't care all that much?

Well, I guess that is a simple answer. So we are just a basketball school? Basketball

I thought this thread was more about why people aren't coming or staying at the games. There are a lot of reasons for that, and it's not that we aren't winning enough. I already gave those reasons.

Fans who bitch about attendance love to point the finger at JUST the fans, but MSU has to do their part too. And they are not.

They're winning...a lot...that's more important than all the other shit put together IMHO. I'd say they're definitely doing "their part".
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:10 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:meh.. very few college football stadiums are "filled to the brim" start to finish..

a) we're playing Rutgers
b) temps will be around freezing (if we're lucky)
c) 4 minute challenges to the "ruling on the field"

vs.

a) a flat screen HD television
b) fully stocked fridge
c) short walk to the bathroom
d) a remote control to combat the 4 minute challenges to the "ruling on the field" reviews
e) thermostat set on a toasty 72 degrees

I think the one former player who was morally outraged a week or so ago better get his Twitter fingers limbered up.

I agree. I've softened up on my criticisms of the fans that leave.

That Michigan game was a positive experience, the campus was beautiful, went to all the old haunts and saw some friends/family. Great to do, but the game itself dragged quite a bit.

There's really only 11 minutes of action during a 3 - 4 hr game.

Football is lifted on tv by all the instant replay, and as a fan you can sit there and analyze the situation. There are too many tv time outs and after plays you are left wondering what happened.

My advice is use those big screen tv's and show the replays, let the crowd see that shit.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:15 pm

People have been bitching about the crowds at Breslin for years (the loudness if not the empty seats), so I don't think it's that.  As far as the student section, the Izzone is always packed because it's famous, so it's the cool thing to do.  People want to be able to SAY that they're going/went more than they want to actually go.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:20 pm

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:meh.. very few college football stadiums are "filled to the brim" start to finish..

a) we're playing Rutgers
b) temps will be around freezing (if we're lucky)
c) 4 minute challenges to the "ruling on the field"

vs.

a) a flat screen HD television
b) fully stocked fridge
c) short walk to the bathroom
d) a remote control to combat the 4 minute challenges to the "ruling on the field" reviews
e) thermostat set on a toasty 72 degrees

I think the one former player who was morally outraged a week or so ago better get his Twitter fingers limbered up.

I agree. I've softened up on my criticisms of the fans that leave.

That Michigan game was a positive experience, the campus was beautiful, went to all the old haunts and saw some friends/family. Great to do, but the game itself dragged quite a bit.

There's really only 11 minutes of action during a 3 - 4 hr game.

Football is lifted on tv by all the instant replay, and as a fan you can sit there and analyze the situation. There are too many tv time outs and after plays you are left wondering what happened.

My advice is use those big screen tv's and show the replays, let the crowd see that shit.

You know what I do during lulls in the action at SS? I look around at the sheer awesomeness of the whole scene. Top 10 team. Big time football. 75k people. Beautiful campus. The 5 best years of my life. My school.

There are only a few dozen places on earth where you can go to school & have a chance to get those feelings for the rest of your life every time you go back.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:21 pm

I like turtles. Hence, I like the Terps.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:24 pm

I'm thinking that I should start a thread complaining about everyone who leaves right after the game, and they don't stay to see the band after game performance.
I stay for it - move into the green seats, probably less than a 1,000 true fans who stay for that.
It is one of the best bands there is, the shows are very good and it support for the band, the students and those who work on bringing you this entertainment.
It is a really poor showing that 70,000+ are rushing to their cars, or bars, or tailgate and they can't give the band that 10-15 minutes after the game.
And you know what, you can't even see the band on TV so it is a chance to get to see them up close.

Because I feel like I'm a better fan than you, if you don't stay!!!
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:25 pm

Heat Miser wrote:

You know what I do during lulls in the action at SS? I look around at the sheer awesomeness of the whole scene. Top 10 team. Big time football. 75k people. Beautiful campus. The 5 best years of my life. My school.

There are only a few dozen places on earth where you can go to school & have a chance to get those feelings for the rest of your life every time you go back.
meh....
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:26 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
People have been bitching about the crowds at Breslin for years (the loudness if not the empty seats), so I don't think it's that.  As far as the student section, the Izzone is always packed because it's famous, so it's the cool thing to do.  People want to be able to SAY that they're going/went more than they want to actually go.

If I had to chose between the two for attending, I'd take basketball. Live I love the pace of the game, and I feel like the band does a great job filling in when there's a time out.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:29 pm

Wally Fairway wrote:I'm thinking that I should start a thread complaining about everyone who leaves right after the game, and they don't stay to see the band after game performance.
I stay for it - move into the green seats, probably less than a 1,000 true fans who stay for that.
It is one of the best bands there is, the shows are very good and it support for the band, the students and those who work on bringing you this entertainment.
It is a really poor showing that 70,000+ are rushing to their cars, or bars, or tailgate and they can't give the band that 10-15 minutes after the game.
And you know what, you can't even see the band on TV so it is a chance to get to see them up close.

Because I feel like I'm a better fan than you, if you don't stay!!!

You're trying to convince people to stay for marching band when we can't even get them to stay for football. Baby steps.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:31 pm

You're trying to convince people to stay for marching band when we can't even get them to stay for football. Baby steps.
"man, I know you're cold, you hired a babysitter.. and you have a 2 hour drive back home.. and it'll take 45 minutes to walk to your car.. and another 30 minutes to get out of the parking lot.. but, DUDE, you should really stick around an watch this guy play the flute"..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Heat Miser wrote:

Those within a couple hours of Spartan Stadium are going to take that for granted, I'm sure.

I doubt any Spartan fan was bored during the lulls in action at the Rose Bowl for the same basic reasons you mentioned (the atmosphere and sheer awesomeness of it all). If so, they should be kicked in the nuts repeatedly.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
"man, I know you're cold, you hired a babysitter.. and you have a 2 hour drive back home.. and it'll take 45 minutes to walk to your car.. and another 30 minutes to get out of the parking lot.. but, DUDE, you should really stick around an watch this guy play the flute"..

Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but... - Page 2 502811600

Maybe all the traffic will be gone by then? Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but... - Page 2 2599972566
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Heat Miser wrote:

Wait wut - I thought this whole rant was about how few people were actually there.....can someone explain what this going on in this thread?
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:36 pm

Wally Fairway wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Wait wut - I thought this whole rant was about how few people were actually there.....can someone explain what this going on in this thread?

Rounding
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:05 pm

Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but... - Page 2 502811600

Maybe all the traffic will be gone by then? Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but... - Page 2 2599972566
I guess there is something to be said about being able to walk to games.. a) no waiting in parking lots and b) not tempted to stick around for serious flute playing in hopes of the parking lot clearing out.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:08 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I guess there is something to be said about being able to walk to games.. a) no waiting in parking lots and b) not tempted to stick around for serious flute playing in hopes of the parking lot clearing out.
This is one reason I am FAR more critical of students not going/leaving early than I am of non-students. They live close, have nowhere else to be really (not like family commitments for the most part), and they're young enough that their bodies can better handle cold, lack of sleep, hangovers, etc. And most of all, they're in ****ing college at Michigan State. That's pretty much the pinnacle of life, and football games should be part of that. Jesus, so you miss 4 hours of drinking 7 days during the year. If you aren't getting enough partying in during the other 8700+ hours of the year, you may have a problem.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:12 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
This is one reason I am FAR more critical of students not going/leaving early than I am of non-students.  They live close, have nowhere else to be really (not like family commitments for the most part), and they're young enough that their bodies can better handle cold, lack of sleep, hangovers, etc.  And most of all, they're in ****ing college at Michigan State.  That's pretty much the pinnacle of life, and football games should be part of that.  Jesus, so you miss 4 hours of drinking 7 days during the year.  If you aren't getting enough partying in during the other 8700+ hours of the year, you may have a problem.
yeah, I hear ya.

in a sheer objective and empirical fashion, I'm guessing that the kids have nowhere else to go or nothing else to do. And while I'm not going to be some idiot who criticizes them for leaving early, if I were an undergrad and I was interested in MSU football or MSU athletics in general.. I'd have a hard time justifying a reason to bail out.

but they'll do what they'll do.. I don't think whining about it on Twitter with the #HateOurStudentSection hastag is going to inspire them to stay....
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:25 pm

I have nowhere important to go and live nearby but have still left most of the games early this year.
It is strange because I probably care more about the team than most there and have travelled to plenty of road games. At some point I guess a selfish instinct takes over and I feel I have the right to do whatever I want to do that will make me happier.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:59 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
yeah, I hear ya.

in a sheer objective and empirical fashion, I'm guessing that the kids have nowhere else to go or nothing else to do. And while I'm not going to be some idiot who criticizes them for leaving early, if I were an undergrad and I was interested in MSU football or MSU athletics in general.. I'd have a hard time justifying a reason to bail out.

but they'll do what they'll do.. I don't think whining about it on Twitter with the #HateOurStudentSection hastag is going to inspire them to stay....
I think the students are spoiled, entitled pussies. That may not inspire them to stay, but I'll still say that.

I guess I'd be more worried about the students' mentality if something posted by random people on twitter or internet message boards actually DID inspire them to change their behavior. And that pretty much goes for everyone about everything (I'm sure there are a few exceptions, such as if the next Ghandi or MLK are out there on twitter somewhere).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:59 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Here's the thing. If the product on the field is better, but the attendance is the same as under JLS, Bobby (as heat says).. then the problem is obviously game day experience. I've been going to games since I was a kid and now a student, here are some issues I have..

Tailgating restrictions: Specific times when allowed to begin, no drinking games, carding random people that aren't causing any harm. Plenty of students won't even go near the tennis courts anymore. It's just over the top, and not welcoming. MSU should want everyone ON CAMPUS, but now, everyone would rather stay off to not be harassed.

Student ticketing: I've already vented on this subject plenty and plenty of times but there needs to be paper tickets, fuck the IDs, figure out how to get people calmly in the stadium and not take so ****ing long. Students shouldn't have to wait an hour and a half to get into the game, just for it to be another hour until the game starts. And you're in the upper bowl. Figure it out, there are smarter people than me who's job it is.

Pat downs, security: No purses? Come on man. Isn't that a bit overkill? Look in the bag real quick and make sure there is no booze and let them go. The airport level security pat downs at the student gate is a bit much, which is probably the reason that it takes so damn long to get into the game as a student. We are YOUR students, not terrorists, not cattle, treat us like it.

Booze in game: It's 2014. Wake the fuck up and start selling alcohol/beer in the stadium. I just don't get this. It's more $. It's keeping people at the game. No one likes that half-time headache when your buzz is coming down. Let us leave at half and come back. And sell booze in stadium. Experiment with it at first, maybe limiting people to 2 beer tickets per game or something. But it has to happen.

You want people to come and stay? Then listen to the people. Stop ignoring these glaring problems with the gameday experience as we have been doing for years. Fix your cell towers too. That's gotten better lately, though.
This. The experience needs improvement. I'll also add tailgating in east lansing at apartments or houses is impossible. You get ticketed for breathing over there now with the gestapo walking around.

I do agree with the article though as attendance and fans getting into the games can be sub par. But I believe fixing the issues stated above would change things. People will drink regardless and hammering them with fines and strip searching them will do nothing.
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:08 pm

Stoops21 wrote:
I'll also add tailgating in east lansing at apartments or houses is impossible. You get ticketed for breathing over there now with the gestapo walking around.

What does that have to do with going to the actual game? How does not going to the game change this experience? It doesn't.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:35 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Here's the thing. If the product on the field is better, but the attendance is the same as under JLS, Bobby (as heat says).. then the problem is obviously game day experience. I've been going to games since I was a kid and now a student, here are some issues I have..

Tailgating restrictions: Specific times when allowed to begin, no drinking games, carding random people that aren't causing any harm. Plenty of students won't even go near the tennis courts anymore. It's just over the top, and not welcoming. MSU should want everyone ON CAMPUS, but now, everyone would rather stay off to not be harassed.

Student ticketing: I've already vented on this subject plenty and plenty of times but there needs to be paper tickets, fuck the IDs, figure out how to get people calmly in the stadium and not take so ****ing long. Students shouldn't have to wait an hour and a half to get into the game, just for it to be another hour until the game starts. And you're in the upper bowl. Figure it out, there are smarter people than me who's job it is.

Pat downs, security: No purses? Come on man. Isn't that a bit overkill? Look in the bag real quick and make sure there is no booze and let them go. The airport level security pat downs at the student gate is a bit much, which is probably the reason that it takes so damn long to get into the game as a student. We are YOUR students, not terrorists, not cattle, treat us like it.

Booze in game: It's 2014. Wake the fuck up and start selling alcohol/beer in the stadium. I just don't get this. It's more $. It's keeping people at the game. No one likes that half-time headache when your buzz is coming down. Let us leave at half and come back. And sell booze in stadium. Experiment with it at first, maybe limiting people to 2 beer tickets per game or something. But it has to happen.

You want people to come and stay? Then listen to the people. Stop ignoring these glaring problems with the gameday experience as we have been doing for years. Fix your cell towers too. That's gotten better lately, though.
In the early 90s, you had everything that you listed except for booze in the stadium. The tailgating experience was unlike anything you can imagine at MSU if you never experienced it. We never sold out unless playing ND or UM. Rarely got over 70K for any other games. Many were under 65K, and even in the 50s. It wasn't all bad teams, as we beat UM in 93 and went to a bowl game (the next home game after beating UM that year was homecoming and we still drew under 65K...and only 52K the next game after that). Some of those were probably crappy weather, but we wouldn't draw over 70K on nice September days unless it was against ND.

But after the Rose Bowl and a few decent years after that, the early 90s were a big let down. But the point is that the game day experience didn't put butts in the seats. In fact, the game day experience kept more people from going in the stadium, as they'd choose to stay out tailgating at this massive party instead (especially among the students).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:40 pm

Heat Miser wrote:

What does that have to do with going to the actual game? How does not going to the game change this experience? It doesn't.
I'm talking about improving gameday experience and was adding to what OTPT was saying. But you're right it doesn't get people into the game but I think it promotes more people wanting to come out and want to actually tailgate instead of just driving up for the game.
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:11 pm

Herbie Green wrote:I have nowhere important to go and live nearby but have still left most of the games early this year.
It is strange because I probably care more about the team than most there and have travelled to plenty of road games. At some point I guess a selfish instinct takes over and I feel I have the right to do whatever I want to do that will make me happier.

This is the best/most honest post in the entire thread. Cut all the BS, sanctimony, etc and Herb nails it.

Not sure how you are going to ever change the fact that people have lives, and at various times due to various circumstances can make the decision that their own personal situation at that moment is more important than sitting in a football game.

Maybe all of these other places that (purportedly) don't have this issue have a shit ton of Walmart/Subway "alumni" fans who don't have anything better to do than go back to their trailer parks and beat their wives? Whereas our fanbase consists primarily of real alumni? Theory I just came up with, but probably not a bad one.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:29 am

Rocinante wrote:

This is true. I went to nearly every game when I was a student. Keep in mind the coaches were Bobby and JLS when I was at State. So hello from up here on my high horse.

Aaaaaahhhhh, the meaning of your avatar. I get it. Me like. Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but... - Page 2 502811600
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:56 am

SpartanInNH wrote:

Aaaaaahhhhh, the meaning of your avatar. I get it. Me like. Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but... - Page 2 502811600

Hah. Me too.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:29 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
I think the students are spoiled, entitled pussies. That may not inspire them to stay, but I'll still say that.

I guess I'd be more worried about the students' mentality if something posted by random people on twitter or internet message boards actually DID inspire them to change their behavior. And that pretty much goes for everyone about everything (I'm sure there are a few exceptions, such as if the next Ghandi or MLK are out there on twitter somewhere).
we should take up a collection and send them some sandwiches.. Wink
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Prepare your anii for the media/coach/AD/player/former player firestorm that is sure to come. I am getting the sense seeing the Oak County emails flying around, checking stubhub, talking to friends, etc that we'll be lucky to have 60k in SS on Saturday.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:42 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Prepare your anii for the media/coach/AD/player/former player firestorm that is sure to come. I am getting the sense seeing the Oak County emails flying around, checking stubhub, talking to friends, etc that we'll be lucky to have 60k in SS on Saturday.
Cold weather, shitty team. Although it does suck, I'm sure its used against us in recruiting. Although you would think that being coached up and having a shot to play in the NFL might be a better reason to go to a school.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next