Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damn tree tops filing for bankruptcy.

+8
CheesySpartan
The Pantry
tTy
CORNER BLITZ
Turtleneck
Jake from State Farm
kingstonlake
DWags
12 posters

Go down

Damn tree tops filing for bankruptcy.  Empty Damn tree tops filing for bankruptcy.

Post by DWags 2014-11-26, 18:07

Welp. 22 million in debts. You hackers taking way too many divots with your over swing have ruined it for all of us.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Damn tree tops filing for bankruptcy.  Empty Re: Damn tree tops filing for bankruptcy.

Post by kingstonlake 2014-11-26, 18:39

Link please
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Damn tree tops filing for bankruptcy.  Empty Re: Damn tree tops filing for bankruptcy.

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-11-26, 18:54

Groupon has a special going with them. One night stay and two lift passes for under $100. Of course if they're closed when you get there it's not much of a deal.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-11-26, 18:55

Good. Golf sucks and it was shitty place to ski.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2014-11-26, 19:34

Never heard of it, not a fan
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2014-11-26, 20:05

Lot's go burn that bitch down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-11-26, 20:10

location, location, location...
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2014-11-26, 20:26

tTy wrote:Lot's go burn that bitch down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you mad you didn't get your way? A lot of that going around the country.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-11-26, 20:27

DOVER TOWNSHIP, Mich. — Treetops Resort in the northern Lower Peninsula says it's seeking reorganization under Chapter 11 of the U.S. bankruptcy law.

Operators of the golf and ski resort say they made the filing Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Bay City. Treetops Resort is in Otsego County's Dover Township, east of Gaylord.

The resort says in a statement that it "fully expects to continue normal operations throughout this process." It says the winter season is underway and it will "celebrate 60 years of skiing with extended hours all winter long."

Treetops says it is burdened with debt and expects to be able to continue to be viable once its finances go through the reorganization. It says it expects current managers to remain in place.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/11/26/4357026/treetops-resort-seeking-bankruptcy.html
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2014-11-26, 20:30

LooseGoose wrote:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/11/26/4357026/treetops-resort-seeking-bankruptcy.html

tTy burning it down might be the best thing for it.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-11-26, 20:39

Sadly, the golf industry in Northern Michigan is dying a slow death. Too many courses, tiny window to make $ and a general decline in interest.

I
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2014-11-26, 20:51

CheesySpartan wrote:

Are you mad you didn't get your way? A lot of that going around the country.

JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HANDICAPS UP!!!!!! CAN'T SHOOT!!!!!!!!!!!
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-11-26, 21:16

duffy munn wrote:Sadly, the golf industry in Northern Michigan is dying a slow death. Too many courses, tiny window to make $ and a general decline in interest.

I
Yep, way overbuilt during the boom in the 90's. Plus the willingness of corporations to pay for big group outings has plummeted post auto bankruptcies
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-11-26, 22:20

duffy munn wrote:Sadly, the golf industry in Northern Michigan is dying a slow death. Too many courses, tiny window to make $ and a general decline in interest.

I

Much better to keep the cost at $120/round and have 2 or 3 groups go off, rather than lower the rate to $40 round and have a full course.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-11-26, 22:23

InTenSity wrote:

Much better to keep the cost at $120/round and have 2 or 3 groups go off, rather than lower the rate to $40 round and have a full course.

Elitist.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2014-11-26, 22:26

InTenSity wrote:

Nobody is going to pay that kind of money for a round of golf anymore. Hasn't been that way for 15 years+. Unfortunately, lowering the price doesn't help either. Comes down to too many courses coupled with fewer golfers. Makes for a bad business model.

Now nobody pays full price. If you pay full price for a round of golf anywhere in Michigan you haven't spent 5 minutes online to get a discount.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-11-26, 22:37

Frank Ricard wrote:

Nobody is going to pay that kind of money for a round of golf anymore. Hasn't been that way for 15 years+. Unfortunately, lowering the price doesn't help either. Comes down to too many courses coupled with fewer golfers. Makes for a bad business model.

Now nobody pays full price. If you pay full price for a round of golf anywhere in Michigan you haven't spent 5 minutes online to get a discount.

Exactly. I remember paying $125.00 to play the Legend in the early 90's. Now you can play the same course for $45 almost anytime.

The real high end courses ( Bay Harbor ad Arcadia Bluffs) still command top dollar but I why would anyone spend that huge money when comparable courses can be played for 1/4 the cost.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-11-26, 22:39

LooseGoose wrote:

Elitist.
Damn tree tops filing for bankruptcy.  3434560931
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-11-26, 22:41

Frank Ricard wrote:

Its almost getting cheaper for me to fly up to MI, play a few rounds of golf and fly back to Miami, than pay the prices they are asking for during the winter down here. Shitty courses want $50-75 a round. Half way decent places are $125-150 and high end (Doral Monster) are +$300. I have no idea how they command this much $$. My only guess is that there is so much money down here from S. America, that those guys just don't give a shit if they spend $2k for a foursome.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-11-26, 22:44

InTenSity wrote:

What ? So three groups paying 120.00=1440.00. 18 groups paying 40.00= 2880.00. Now factor in each player having a beer and lunch at the turn. Or maybe buying an over price shirt or hat in the pro shop. Your math doesn't make sense.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-11-26, 22:50

duffy munn wrote:

What ? So three groups paying 120.00=1440.00. 18 groups paying 40.00= 2880.00. Now factor in each player having a beer and lunch at the turn. Or maybe buying an over price shirt or hat in the pro shop. Your math doesn't make sense.

Does sarcasm not translate on the internet? I have no idea what they charged. I know that I'll go past courses charging $150/person that's empty, while those charging much less are crowded. I think some courses have egos that keep their price up, rather than be competitive.

I have no idea how things are in mi.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-11-26, 23:08

InTenSity wrote:

Does sarcasm not translate on the internet? I have no idea what they charged. I know that I'll go past courses charging $150/person that's empty, while those charging much less are crowded. I think some courses have egos that keep their price up, rather than be competitive.

I have no idea how things are in mi.

My bad for not reading your sarcasm. I've played a ton of golf up north. I would love to play Bay Harbor and Arcadia more often but for $250.00 a around, it better include with a blow job and a 12 pack.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2014-11-26, 23:13

duffy munn wrote:

Exactly. I remember paying $125.00 to play the Legend in the early 90's. Now you can play the same course for $45 almost anytime.

The real high end courses ( Bay Harbor ad Arcadia Bluffs) still command top dollar but I why would anyone spend that huge money when comparable courses can be played for 1/4 the cost.

Go back 15 years you could charge about $45 to play a decent course on a weekend morning in the Mid-Michigan area. And that course could sell out all their tee times from 6:00 to 12:00. Now that same course is lucky to be able to charge $35, with half of those golfers getting some kind of discount AND they'll have trouble selling all the available tee times. Charge less and have fewer customers.

The only way to correct the situation is too have some more courses close. Even then it's going to be difficult for the remaining courses to raise their rates because people have been so used to having lower prices than just a decade ago. They'll bitch a holy hell not realizing that if these prices stay like they are, THE COURSE CAN'T ****ing STAY OPEN. Right now few courses can actually price themselves to profitability.

And it doesn't matter if the course is really nice or a complete goat ranch. In fact, the goat ranches are probably the ones that have the most sustainability because a lot of them are free of debt.

Moral of the story - golf is a terrible business. But for those of you out there who really like to play, at least be aware none of these courses are rolling in the dough. If you like the courses you play on, be ready for to pay more. Once enough courses close, the ones left standing will try to raise their price so they can just break even. If you want to keep your favorite courses open, be ready to pay more. What is happening now is simply unsustainable.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-11-26, 23:17

I

Yep. But it's getting cheap. At least for those staying open.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-11-26, 23:20

DWags wrote:

Yep. But it's getting cheap. At least for those staying open.

I'm trying to get people from Florida to fly up to mi during the summer. The quality of courses is just outstanding for the price.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2014-11-26, 23:27

InTenSity wrote:

I'm trying to get people from Florida to fly up to mi during the summer. The quality of courses is just outstanding for the price.

Michigan has so many quality courses. I don't know if this is still true or not, but I know a few years ago, Michigan had more public courses than any state, including CA ,FL, or the Carolina's. Many of these courses are truly amazing and in some cases exceed what you can have at a lot of private clubs.

Mind boggling that a state that really has only a 3-4 month peak season has that many good courses. Good to be a consumer.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down