Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remember this the next time you fork over $$ for "Organic"

+26
goodbar
AnomanderRake
Dr. Strangelove
tGreenWay
GRR Spartan
CheesySpartan
The_Dude
Triple Sparty
Nordic
Robert J Sakimano
xsanguine
HT
Snake Plissken
Cameron
green night
Rocinante
Bizarro Fletch
WhiteBoyHatcher
Turtleneck
Jake from State Farm
InTenSity
NigelUno
steveschneider
LoneWolfSparty
Watch Out Pylon!
Marc Summers
30 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Remember this the next time you fork over $$ for "Organic" - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember this the next time you fork over $$ for "Organic"

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2017-03-06, 14:01

Triple Sparty wrote:Anything I can do to eliminate use of chemicals is good in my book.

Organic doesn't mean chemical free.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/food-thought/organic-doesnt-mean-free-pesticides

Organic is a giant rip-off for the uneducated consumer.

But hey its your $ feel free to waste it anyway you want.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Remember this the next time you fork over $$ for "Organic" - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember this the next time you fork over $$ for "Organic"

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-06, 15:10

we buy a lot of organic produce, along with grass-fed beef.. free-range chicken/eggs with a high animal welfare rating, no added hormones, antibiotics.. etc.

5'10"
168 lbs
32X32
RHR = 42
BP = 110/68 mmHg

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2017-03-07, 08:53

The highest margin grocery items that Meijer (and I'm sure other retailers) sells are all organic/gluten-free. It's hilarious how much more customers are willing to pay for this crap when the vendor first costs are only slightly higher for the retailer.

Let's say we have a non-organic product that is $2 each with a margin of 10%. The organic version will cost retailers like 5% more but the customer will be charged $3-4 for it. We're talking like 2-10x margin improvement. Amazing.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-07, 10:43

AnomanderRake wrote:The highest margin grocery items that Meijer (and I'm sure other retailers) sells are all organic/gluten-free. It's hilarious how much more customers are willing to pay for this crap when the vendor first costs are only slightly higher for the retailer.

Let's say we have a non-organic product that is $2 each with a margin of 10%. The organic version will cost retailers like 5% more but the customer will be charged $3-4 for it. We're talking like 2-10x margin improvement. Amazing.

As a frequent Meijer shopper, this info is good to know.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-13, 09:26

More than a million hens, filling barns at three per square foot. And yes, they’re USDA Organic: One of the largest “organic” egg operations in the United States keeps 1.6 million hens, and it continues to grow.

SARANAC, Mich. — Of all the cartons of organic eggs sold in the United States, more than 1 in 10 originates from a complex here that houses more than 1.6 million hens.

They’re sold under the Eggland’s Best label.

“The entire process is organic,” Greg Herbruck, president of Herbruck's Poultry Ranch says in a promotional video.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/07/13/more-than-a-million-hens-filling-barns-at-three-per-square-foot-and-yes-theyre-usda-organic/?utm_term=.69d29d90dd53
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2017-07-13, 09:36

Turtleneck wrote:More than a million hens, filling barns at three per square foot. And yes, they’re USDA Organic: One of the largest “organic” egg operations in the United States keeps 1.6 million hens, and it continues to grow.

SARANAC, Mich. — Of all the cartons of organic eggs sold in the United States, more than 1 in 10 originates from a complex here that houses more than 1.6 million hens.

They’re sold under the Eggland’s Best label.

“The entire process is organic,” Greg Herbruck, president of Herbruck's Poultry Ranch says in a promotional video.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/07/13/more-than-a-million-hens-filling-barns-at-three-per-square-foot-and-yes-theyre-usda-organic/?utm_term=.69d29d90dd53

they've passed my organic test...but until they check off my 'artisinal' requirement, I will not be purchasing.
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-10-11, 20:20

I've been telling people this for years.

Congress Should Investigate the Organic Scam

The USDA report was released shortly after a Washington Post exposé found that millions of pounds of fraudulently labeled corn and soybeans had entered the organic supply chain. These grains were mostly used as livestock feed; federal rules require that animals be given only organic feed if their meat, eggs, or milk will be labeled organic. The reason why “organic” grain imports are at an all-time high is that nearly all the commodity crops grown here are genetically modified and thus not allowed in organic production. (How stupid is it for the world’s largest grower of these crops — the U.S. — to now import allegedly organic versions?)

Imagine for a moment this was any other industry. Suppose the pharmaceutical industry had been caught using shady ingredients from dubious exporters, mislabeling their drugs, and selling them to consumers at a premium. Capitol Hill and the media would be in full pitchfork mode.

So, have consumers been scammed? It’s obvious that many, possibly most, imported “organic” foods — especially fruits and vegetables — do not meet U.S. organic standards. If they were sprayed with non-organic pesticides, they are not organic. If cows were fed non-organic grains, the milk they produce is not organic. If NOP officials did not conduct on-site inspections of international exporters, and only relied on the word of the exporting country, there is no way to have confidence the crops or goods shipped here are really organic. This means many of our organic dairy products, from milk to yogurt to ice cream, probably do not meet organic labeling requirements. Same goes for other animals; any meat, such as chicken breasts or ground beef, sold as organic, likely is not.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-10-11, 20:40

Goose what’s the diff between organic and local farm fresh? We have local growers that hold a farmers market and the produce is dynamite.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-10-11, 21:10

steveschneider wrote:Goose what’s the diff between organic and local farm fresh? We have local growers that hold a farmers market and the produce is dynamite.

Local growers are usually the best - organic or not.  Why?   Because most times they're growing for their family so they're careful of the inputs.  Not wanting to pass up a chance to drag raw milk into a thread - it was always a saying among old farmers to not trust a farmer that wouldn't drink his own milk.   Obviously if he didn't trust his own cleanliness, you shouldn't.

Organic is a set of guidelines - basically for crops/produce they have to be grown on land that has had not chemical fertilizers or pesticides on it for 3 years and none used during production.  

For animals you can't use antibiotics, must use feed produced according to organic guidelines, and they have to have pretty much constant access to outside air and light.

The problem is that much of the industry is self regulated and inspected.  With the huge premiums paid for certified organic the temptation to cheat is powerful.  Why?  Because it soooooooooo easy to cheat and the profits for doing so are enormous.

I've been on all sides of this - bought commercially from many organic farms, got processing plants certified and then operated them while maintaining organic standards.  I can tell you from my experience that many are very sincere and honest but there are cheats all over because the penalties are wrist slaps.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-10-12, 05:32

LooseGoose wrote:I've been telling people this for years.

The USDA report was released shortly after a Washington Post exposé found that millions of pounds of fraudulently labeled corn and soybeans had entered the organic supply chain. These grains were mostly used as livestock feed; federal rules require that animals be given only organic feed if their meat, eggs, or milk will be labeled organic. The reason why “organic” grain imports are at an all-time high is that nearly all the commodity crops grown here are genetically modified and thus not allowed in organic production. (How stupid is it for the world’s largest grower of these crops — the U.S. — to now import allegedly organic versions?)

Imagine for a moment this was any other industry. Suppose the pharmaceutical industry had been caught using shady ingredients from dubious exporters, mislabeling their drugs, and selling them to consumers at a premium. Capitol Hill and the media would be in full pitchfork mode.

So, have consumers been scammed? It’s obvious that many, possibly most, imported “organic” foods — especially fruits and vegetables — do not meet U.S. organic standards. If they were sprayed with non-organic pesticides, they are not organic. If cows were fed non-organic grains, the milk they produce is not organic. If NOP officials did not conduct on-site inspections of international exporters, and only relied on the word of the exporting country, there is no way to have confidence the crops or goods shipped here are really organic. This means many of our organic dairy products, from milk to yogurt to ice cream, probably do not meet organic labeling requirements. Same goes for other animals; any meat, such as chicken breasts or ground beef, sold as organic, likely is not.
so you want the government involved in people's personal lives and their decisions on how/what to feed their families?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-10-12, 08:44

LooseGoose wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Goose what’s the diff between organic and local farm fresh? We have local growers that hold a farmers market and the produce is dynamite.

Local growers are usually the best - organic or not.  Why?   Because most times they're growing for their family so they're careful of the inputs.  Not wanting to pass up a chance to drag raw milk into a thread - it was always a saying among old farmers to not trust a farmer that wouldn't drink his own milk.   Obviously if he didn't trust his own cleanliness, you shouldn't.

Organic is a set of guidelines - basically for crops/produce they have to be grown on land that has had not chemical fertilizers or pesticides on it for 3 years and none used during production.  

For animals you can't use antibiotics, must use feed produced according to organic guidelines, and they have to have pretty much constant access to outside air and light.

The problem is that much of the industry is self regulated and inspected.  With the huge premiums paid for certified organic the temptation to cheat is powerful.  Why?  Because it soooooooooo easy to cheat and the profits for doing so are enormous.

I've been on all sides of this - bought commercially from many organic farms, got processing plants certified and then operated them while maintaining organic standards.  I can tell you from my experience that many are very sincere and honest but there are cheats all over because the penalties are wrist slaps.

Good to know and very interesting. Once I started noticing big giant food corporations were putting organic labels on their food I figured it had become a racket. Like I said buying from the farmers market is night and day better than the stuff at the grocery store including the high end grocery store that caters to the Whole Foods crowd.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-10-12, 08:49

Door-to-door organics delivers tomorrow. Can't wait!
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-12, 08:50

Dont' know about you guys, but I became skeptical when "organic" milk was stamped that it was good for 3 or 4 weeks before it spoiled.  I said to the wife, it it's organic, why does it have such a shelf life?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-10-12, 08:54

steveschneider wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Good to know and very interesting. Once I started noticing big giant food corporations were putting organic labels on their food I figured it had become a racket. Like I said buying from the farmers market is night and day better than the stuff at the grocery store including the high end grocery store that caters to the Whole Foods crowd.
I was at Whole Foods yesterday - those people make me laugh.

I was checking out and I stood there smirking at the cashier the entire time as he thanked me for bring my own bag, thanked me for rounding my total up to the nearest dollar for charity, thanked me for donating my "bring your own bag" credit to charity.. he kept looking at me and I was waiting on him to ask me what I was smirking at.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-10-12, 09:50

"those people"

Let me guess... They all look alike, too.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-10-12, 09:52

Yeah I hate getting good customer service, and having nice people at the registers when I shop.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-12, 10:00

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:"those people"

Mostly like contestants on game shows to me.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-10-12, 10:13

Nice people are the fucking worst. I always hope the cashier hates their job and doesn’t look at me.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-10-12, 10:20

DWags wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:"those people"

The worst is when you go to a place where the sales reps work on commission and all you are there to do is browse. The small talk is the worse.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-10-12, 10:20

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Nice people are the fucking worst. I always hope the cashier hates their job and doesn’t look at me.

Yeah, that's why I shop at Walmart.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-10-12, 10:21

steveschneider wrote:
DWags wrote:

The worst is when you go to a place where the sales reps work on commission and all you are there to do is browse. The small talk is the worse.

Holy shit, Best Buy has gotten so bad. We went there Saturday to look at some appliances, and no matter where we went in the store, at least 4 people in each section asked if we were doing okay.

I admire the dedication to making sure people are helped, but damn, ease up just a touch.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-10-12, 10:27

Have you never been in an Art Van?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-10-12, 10:32

Forgot about them. Definitely the most annoying sales people. Their furniture isn't even that good. They were advertising a nice recliner for $250 on President's Day weekend, found one at an actual La-Z-Boy store for $20 less. Went back to Art Van to take another look around, and they bitched because I told them I went across the mall to La-Z-Boy.

Cool story, indeed.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-10-12, 10:38

Death Roe wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Holy shit, Best Buy has gotten so bad. We went there Saturday to look at some appliances, and no matter where we went in the store, at least 4 people in each section asked if we were doing okay.

I admire the dedication to making sure people are helped, but damn, ease up just a touch.

YeahI’ve tried to be direct and be like I’m not buying anything I’m just browsing. They’ll say sure just let me know if you have any questions. Next thing you know they start up their spiel again.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-10-12, 10:40

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I was at Whole Foods yesterday - those people make me laugh.

I was checking out and I stood there smirking at the cashier the entire time as he thanked me for bring my own bag, thanked me for rounding my total up to the nearest dollar for charity, thanked me for donating my "bring your own bag" credit to charity.. he kept looking at me and I was waiting on him to ask me what I was smirking at.

What the hell are you buying at Whole Foods?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-10-12, 10:47

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:I've been telling people this for years.

so you want the government involved in people's personal lives and their decisions on how/what to feed their families?

No, I want the government to punish the criminals that are scamming people. I'm sorry that you don't seem to support that.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-10-12, 10:49

DWags wrote:Dont' know about you guys, but I became skeptical when "organic" milk was stamped that it was good for 3 or 4 weeks before it spoiled.  I said to the wife, it it's organic, why does it have such a shelf life?

The reason for longer shelf life on Organic milk is that MOST organic milk is processed using UHT (Ultra high temperature) pasteurization.  Wrecks the flavor but gives you a longer shelf life.   Organic milk needs the longer life since it sells much slower.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-10-12, 10:55

steveschneider wrote:Good to know and very interesting. Once I started noticing big giant food corporations were putting organic labels on their food I figured it had become a racket. Like I said buying from the farmers market is night and day better than the stuff at the grocery store including the high end grocery store that caters to the Whole Foods crowd.

3 Biggest differences for me:

Tomatoes. - locally garden grown are so much more flavorful and tender.

Watermelon - I would guess that 1 in 5 watermelons bought in a grocery store are good. The rest are woody and lack flavor.

Muskmelon - I'd quit eating them because the grocery store varieties were just awful. Found one family up here that grows them and the difference is amazing. I'll happily wait for next summer rather than buy any more crap ones.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-10-12, 11:10

tha fuck is muskmelon???
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-10-12, 11:12

LooseGoose wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Good to know and very interesting. Once I started noticing big giant food corporations were putting organic labels on their food I figured it had become a racket. Like I said buying from the farmers market is night and day better than the stuff at the grocery store including the high end grocery store that caters to the Whole Foods crowd.

3 Biggest differences for me:

Tomatoes. - locally garden grown are so much more flavorful and tender.

Watermelon - I would guess that 1 in 5 watermelons bought in a grocery store are good. The rest are woody and lack flavor.

Muskmelon - I'd quit eating them because the grocery store varieties were just awful. Found one family up here that grows them and the difference is amazing. I'll happily wait for next summer rather than buy any more crap ones.

The honey I buy at ours is the best I’ve ever had. The quality in just about everything we buy is fantastic. Got into garlic scapes as well and love them for grilling. Never even knew about them prior to visiting farmers markets.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-10-12, 11:16

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:tha fuck is muskmelon???

Similar to Cantaloupe....only better.

Remember this the next time you fork over $$ for "Organic" - Page 2 Health-Benefits-of-Muskmelon-for-Babies
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-10-12, 11:54

Death Roe wrote:Yeah I hate getting good customer service, and having nice people at the registers when I shop.
I wanted to tell the guy that he could round up to the nearest dollar if he'd stop talking to me.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-10-12, 11:55

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I was at Whole Foods yesterday - those people make me laugh.

What the hell are you buying at Whole Foods?
my wife sent me with a list.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-12, 12:10

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:tha fuck is muskmelon???

It's non refridgerated till I cut it up, then i put it in the fridge.  One of the few I'll let sit on my counter top at home.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-10-12, 14:44

some guy driving a car with a "Coexist" bumper sticker almost ran over me in the Whole Foods parking lot.

I thought that was kinda funny.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-10-12, 20:15

Just ate an organic Gala apple. I love fall!
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-10-12, 20:17

Trader Joe's just opened in Kalamazoo, maybe I'll go in there once the smug dies down in the store.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-10-12, 20:25

Death Roe wrote:Trader Joe's just opened in Kalamazoo, maybe I'll go in there once the smug dies down in the store.

Trader Joe’s is legit. Affordable too.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-10-13, 08:54

Just had some Kroger organic yougurt. Delish.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-10-13, 09:52

Robert J Sakimano wrote:some guy driving a car with a "Coexist" bumper sticker almost ran over me in the Whole Foods parking lot.

I thought that was kinda funny.

That was probably Herbie.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next