Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Golf Thread

+47
AvgMSUJoe
Motown Spartan
tTito
I.B. Fine
Turtleneck
Floyd Robertson
Code_Warrior
msugolfguy
steveschneider
tGreenWay
Rocinante
Travis of the Cosmos
Tim Wakefield
DWags
Dr. Strangelove
aualum06
Watch Out Pylon!
Blaine Fabin
Triple Sparty
Other Teams Pursuing That
tanfan!
Robert J Sakimano
NigelUno
Wally Fairway
Frank Ricard
HT
Cym Jim
kingstonlake
Herbie Green
WhiteBoyHatcher
Sponge Worthy
maizegoblue
SBSpartan
Albert_Potato
gvsparty
Death Roe
Zeke4Heisman
Bronco_Bahma
MasonGuy
duffy munn
ancientspartan
tKid
dubie7006
Winger1
Bizarro Fletch
JackTalkThai
InTenSity
51 posters

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

The Golf Thread Empty The Golf Thread

Post by InTenSity 2014-04-30, 14:41

May as well start one of these. Not sure how much I'll keep up at it, my game is pedestrian at best. I am going to vent about it for the first few sentences though. What a fickle sport! I just got new clubs, not sure if I should have gotten what I did, but I found them on ebay for 1/2 the price and they are 2013 model. That being said, I seem to hit the 7, 8 and 9 better than my old set, probably add about 10 yards each. The PW is hit or miss, quite literally. The 4,5 and 6 I'm thinking of throwing my old clubs back in the bag. All that being said, last night I went out and played a speed round, 18 holes in 2.5 hours. I was able to hit every club, including the PW, which I had the shanks on my last 2 rounds. The course I play is like a cow pasture, and I think you are penalized for being in the fairway. Instead of using my golf shoes I just stayed in sandals. For the golf guru's out there, is it just going out and trying to keep my swing the same with the new clubs? Why would I have a round in which I couldn't hit anything, and then the next one, I play back to near my handicap? I was almost more frustrated that I was able to hit everything well last night than going out and shanking everything.

TL:DR - Its a golf thread.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Golf Thread Empty Re: The Golf Thread

Post by JackTalkThai 2014-04-30, 15:00

It's amazing how much a live in girlfriend will rain on your golfing parade. My game has fallen off a cliff in recent years. I'm just not getting out enough to keep the gears well oiled and the engine purring. Played Moose Ridge a couple weeks ago when it was absolutely beautiful out and the driver was working as well as it'll probably work all season but that was about it. Mid range and long irons were shit. Shot an 84 which looks alright on the surface but we weren't playing from the tips and were employing "winter rules" in the rough.

I'll go on record for the 10th year, I really wish I could squeeze in some early season lessons and for the 10th consecutive year, I doubt that I will. I haven't had a lesson since high school golf in the early 90's. I could sure use some.
JackTalkThai
JackTalkThai
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-04-30, 15:34

I have a wife and daughter with another on the way, but I think I have more time to go golfing now. After the second one is here, we'll see. Hopefully I can still sneak out on the weekends. I kept my old set in case I couldn't hit the new ones and I'm guessing I'll go back and forth a little bit especially if my playing becomes more erratic.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-04-30, 16:26

InTenSityX wrote:May as well start one of these. Not sure how much I'll keep up at it, my game is pedestrian at best. I am going to vent about it for the first few sentences though. What a fickle sport! I just got new clubs, not sure if I should have gotten what I did, but I found them on ebay for 1/2 the price and they are 2013 model. That being said, I seem to hit the 7, 8 and 9 better than my old set, probably add about 10 yards each. The PW is hit or miss, quite literally. The 4,5 and 6 I'm thinking of throwing my old clubs back in the bag. All that being said, last night I went out and played a speed round, 18 holes in 2.5 hours. I was able to hit every club, including the PW, which I had the shanks on my last 2 rounds. The course I play is like a cow pasture, and I think you are penalized for being in the fairway. Instead of using my golf shoes I just stayed in sandals. For the golf guru's out there, is it just going out and trying to keep my swing the same with the new clubs? Why would I have a round in which I couldn't hit anything, and then the next one, I play back to near my handicap? I was almost more frustrated that I was able to hit everything well last night than going out and shanking everything.

TL:DR - Its a golf thread.

I find that any switch to new clubs usually requires at least a few months of adjustment period (assuming at least two rounds a week). Don't give up on the new ones so quickly. If they're significantly newer models than your old clubs then they are likely much more forgiving and will pay off in the long run. I upgraded my irons to start last season and don't think I really felt fully comfortable with them until around July. After that, it was a significant improvement.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Winger1 2014-04-30, 16:29

I just picked up the ECCO biom shoes. Green and White. Soooo comfortable. Nothing better than a new pair of golf shoes.
Winger1
Winger1
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-04-30, 16:36

Bizarro Fletch wrote:

I find that any switch to new clubs usually requires at least a few months of adjustment period (assuming at least two rounds a week).  Don't give up on the new ones so quickly.  If they're significantly newer models than your old clubs then they are likely much more forgiving and will pay off in the long run.  I upgraded my irons to start last season and don't think I really felt fully comfortable with them until around July.  After that, it was a significant improvement.
I'm not giving up on the clubs. I've gained about 10 yards on all clubs except the 4 iron. My old clubs are Ping Zing 2's, which I hit great, except the 9 and the PW. The new clubs are Callaway X Forged, so I'm not sure if switching to blades was necessarily more forgiving, but holy hell do they feel sweet when you hit them right.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 2014-04-30, 16:43

JackTalkThai wrote:It's amazing how much a live in girlfriend will rain on your golfing parade. My game has fallen off a cliff in recent years. I'm just not getting out enough to keep the gears well oiled and the engine purring. Played Moose Ridge a couple weeks ago when it was absolutely beautiful out and the driver was working as well as it'll probably work all season but that was about it. Mid range and long irons were shit. Shot an 84 which looks alright on the surface but we weren't playing from the tips and were employing "winter rules" in the rough.

I'll go on record for the 10th year, I really wish I could squeeze in some early season lessons and for the 10th consecutive year, I doubt that I will. I haven't had a lesson since high school golf in the early 90's. I could sure use some.

I used to work at Moose, dad still works there as a ranger. Fantastic course. Apparently they had some damage from the winter.

I just got gifted a new SLDR driver head. Gotta get a shaft in it (twss) and start hitting bombs. I hope.
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tKid 2014-04-30, 16:56

Winger1 wrote:I just picked up the ECCO biom shoes.  Green and White.  Soooo comfortable.  Nothing better than a new pair of golf shoes.  

I have the same ones - most comfortable shoes I've ever owned!
tKid
tKid
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

The Golf Thread Empty Shanks.....

Post by ancientspartan 2014-04-30, 20:21

The term literally means hitting the ball on the hosel of the club....I have played/been around golf a long time and 99 % of the golfers who say they shank don't...they are hitting the ball with the club face wide open and often with the bottom edge of the club.  That being said, first have the lie of the clubs checked....if they are too flat for you, the toe will "stick" in the turf, opening the club face, hitting the ball to the right.  If they are too upright, the heel will catch the turf, closing the club face, hitting the ball to the left.  An analogy for lie is the lie of hockey sticks.  A goalie has the most upright lie on his stick, forwards less so, and defense men usually play with much flatter lies.

One of Karsten best innovations was introducing a lie fitting system and Ping clubs are color coded to indicate the lie. Black is standard.

Next, have the loft of each club checked...you might be surprised how the loft may not reflect the standard for each iron.  Most tour players have their lofts made extremely strong, i.e., a lower angle than the standard, so when they are hitting an 8 iron, it may more closely approximate a 7 iron or even stronger.
ancientspartan
ancientspartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-05-01, 10:04

ancientspartan wrote:The term literally means hitting the ball on the hosel of the club....I have played/been around golf a long time and 99 % of the golfers who say they shank don't...they are hitting the ball with the club face wide open and often with the bottom edge of the club.  That being said, first have the lie of the clubs checked....if they are too flat for you, the toe will "stick" in the turf, opening the club face, hitting the ball to the right.  If they are too upright, the heel will catch the turf, closing the club face, hitting the ball to the left.  An analogy for lie is the lie of hockey sticks.  A goalie has the most upright lie on his stick, forwards less so, and defense men usually play with much flatter lies.

I went out the next day to a park near my house and worked on the PW, 9 and 6, which for some reason seem to be the problem clubs, obviously its the hardware and not the user. I actually went to youtube to watch how to fix shanks. I still think it has a lot to do with losing confidence in the clubs out on the course. I appreciate the feedback though.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-05-08, 11:17

Golfing tomorrow and Saturday. Last weekend I got back under 90 again (88). Played the whole round in my sandals. I didn't have any shanks. 

Going to miss playing up in MI this year. If anyone gets a chance to play Sundance, don't pass it up. Any other can't miss courses up there?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-05-08, 12:35

InTenSity wrote:Golfing tomorrow and Saturday. Last weekend I got back under 90 again (88). Played the whole round in my sandals. I didn't have any shanks. 

Going to miss playing up in MI this year. If anyone gets a chance to play Sundance, don't pass it up. Any other can't miss courses up there?

Cedar River.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-05-08, 12:37

I grew up working summers at Shuss and Shanty. Cedar River is excellent, have played it the last 4 years in a row. Could always find it on golfnow for a morning tee time at $39 or $49/person.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonGuy 2014-05-08, 12:59

I was offered a putter and a utility club if I purchased a 3 wood from Warrior Golf. I gave them my dimensions (fat, old, not athletic) and the three clubs arrived. I already have a 3 wood and a utility club, both provided by the guy at Indian Hills who made my set for me. It might be because it is a new year or it might be because I am now dieting and working out a bit, but I hit the HELL out of those two clubs. I don't like the putter, but those two clubs, which basically were provided to me as a result of a cold call email have been AWESOME! That is all. Your mileage may vary.
MasonGuy
MasonGuy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 2014-05-08, 13:57

I just got my new driver laser etched with the Gruff Sparty logo and the current logo. It's quite the badass addition to the club. I'll snap some photos later and post them.
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronco_Bahma 2014-05-08, 15:39

duffy munn wrote:

Cedar River.

I personally like playing Legend just as much as Cedar. I love the risk reward aspect of Legend.

Has anyone played The Chief right off the Shanty Creek property? What a tough course! Fun but damn.
Bronco_Bahma
Bronco_Bahma
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-05-08, 15:43

Go play the tips at Hawkseye, that is a tough course! Very tight. I played it once from there, and next time moved back up to the whites. So tempting to play the blues, because it changes the course dramatically, but just too challenging for me.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeke4Heisman 2014-05-08, 16:08

You pros have any tips for someone trying to get into the sport again? Hadn't played since childhood until I went out a couple weeks ago. Had a blast, but how the hell are you supposed to make consistent contact on the ball?
Zeke4Heisman
Zeke4Heisman
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-05-08, 16:24

Zeke4Heisman wrote:You pros have any tips for someone trying to get into the sport again? Hadn't played since childhood until I went out a couple weeks ago. Had a blast, but how the hell are you supposed to make consistent contact on the ball?
Driving range or an empty field. I think someone once told me the 7 iron is the easiest iron to hit. Get comfortable with that and then move up and down. Probably get 1 or 2 rescue clubs, they are a hybrid wood and iron. I try to hit a bucket of balls or spend 20 minutes or more on a range before playing a round. Work on your short game in your backyard.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 2014-05-08, 17:31

Zeke4Heisman wrote:You pros have any tips for someone trying to get into the sport again? Hadn't played since childhood until I went out a couple weeks ago. Had a blast, but how the hell are you supposed to make consistent contact on the ball?

Just go straight for the big leagues - 8˚ driver with an X shaft.  Make sure you yell 'POW!' at impact.  You'll look like a pro in no time.

But really though...see intensity's answer.
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2014-05-08, 19:10

Anyone have the "spikeless" golf shoes? Thoughts?

I've gone out three times this season. I have a set of TaylorMade Burner Superfast irons. My driver is the R1. Dymo FW and TM Burner Rescue 3hy. Love the Rescue clubs.

Shot a 44 the other night... short game wasn't the greatest. A few putts here or there and I could've gotten close to par.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by gvsparty 2014-05-08, 19:23

Played on Sunday for the first time since moving out here about 8 months ago. Some crappy par 66 course down by LAX, but it was cheap and good to get out and play. Shot about 10 over but the course was so short and easy. I'm looking forward to playing some nicer courses once I get back in the "swing" of things.
gvsparty
gvsparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Albert_Potato 2014-05-08, 20:15

Hit em well at Carls today. Prep for Kiawah in a few weeks. Also heading to Sea Island Ga this year.
Albert_Potato
Albert_Potato
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SBSpartan 2014-05-08, 22:01

Albert_Potato wrote:Hit em well at Carls today. Prep for Kiawah in a few weeks. Also heading to Sea Island Ga this year.

You are kind of a dick for not telling these things.
SBSpartan
SBSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Albert_Potato 2014-05-08, 22:10

SBSpartan wrote:

You are kind of a dick for not telling these things.

What I have to tell you all my plans?
Albert_Potato
Albert_Potato
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SBSpartan 2014-05-08, 23:03

Albert_Potato wrote:

What I have to tell you all my plans?  

I guess not. I do live in ga.  bounce 
SBSpartan
SBSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 2014-05-13, 22:08

Totally forgot to post these.  I got a new Fujikura Speeder 661 and had a couple familiar faces laser etched onto it.  Also pictured is, of course, Sparty...guardian of my driver.

The Golf Thread Img_2010

The Golf Thread Img_2011

The Golf Thread Img_2012

The Golf Thread Img_2013
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 2014-05-13, 22:21

Death Roe wrote:Anyone have the "spikeless" golf shoes? Thoughts?

Just saw this. I got a pair of Puma spikeless. Haven't had any issues so far. There are a lot of little nubs and then maybe 6 larger nubs that resemble spikes but are not. Haven't had any slipping or anything yet. If you're thinking about going to them, it's probably worth a try. I used to golf barefoot occasionally without issue, so these will be fine, I'm sure.
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by maizegoblue 2014-05-13, 22:39

dubie7006 wrote:

Just go straight for the big leagues - 8˚ driver with an X shaft.  Make sure you yell 'POW!' at impact.  You'll look like a pro in no time.

That video is epic  The Golf Thread 502811600 
maizegoblue
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronco_Bahma 2014-05-14, 10:11

Didn't particularly score well this past weekend but two holes was all it took to have me feeling great about my game. Sank a 45 footer on #2 for a birdie then had a driver/3 wood (from 247 yards) to 15 feet that I sank for an eagle.

The golfing gods are like drug dealers. They humble and embarrass you the majority of the time but give you just enough to keep you coming back for more.
Bronco_Bahma
Bronco_Bahma
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponge Worthy 2014-05-14, 13:04

lol! 
dubie7006 wrote:

lol! 

Shit that's going in the memory bank for the next Scramble..

I usually just say "watch this shit" on my setup, followed by either  The Golf Thread 1486952199  or  The Golf Thread 1431518612  based purely on whether I slice it or not. 'Cause when I drive, I hit that bitch but-hard..

Sponge Worthy
Sponge Worthy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-10-23, 15:43

Bumping this for shits and giggles. I'll be in the Bradenton/Tampa area Nov 3rd and 4th, hopefully get up there early enough to go on the 2nd and then I'll be in Naples on the 5th. If anyone else is in the area and wants to play a round, let me know. I'll be in those area's probably once a month or at the very least every other month for a few days. 95% chance the golf will be on the house.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-10-23, 23:43

InTenSity wrote:Bumping this for shits and giggles. I'll be in the Bradenton/Tampa area Nov 3rd and 4th, hopefully get up there early enough to go on the 2nd and then I'll be in Naples on the 5th. If anyone else is in the area and wants to play a round, let me know. I'll be in those area's probably once a month or at the very least every other month for a few days. 95% chance the golf will be on the house.

I'm supposed to be in town the week of the 10th. Current plan is to fly in Monday and fly out Wednesday night but I can be flexible with that a bit. The nights that I am in town I'm sure my manager will want to set something up to take me out, which doesn't leave much time for golf. Unless I took Thursday off. Wonder if I could fly out Thursday night and get the company to foot the bill for Wed night? Hmmmm
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-10-24, 00:24

I will be in Tampa thanksgiving week. Would love to play. Not sure how I would tell my family I am going golfing with guys from a message board though
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-10-24, 05:10

Use to live in Naples. Played the beach club for free in the summer. Course closes at 4pm (at least it use too). Nobody wants to play in the heat. Lots of courses to play down there. Oh, and I hate you for it!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-10-24, 08:13

kingstonlake wrote:Use to live in Naples. Played the beach club for free in the summer. Course closes at 4pm (at least it use too). Nobody wants to play in the heat. Lots of courses to play down there. Oh, and I hate you for it!
I live in Miami, not Naples, but in the winter I go over there quite often. One of the guys I buy from has a house on a canal, and so we go fishing in the backwaters. I play mostly Bonita Bay and Vineyards, I'm trying to get someone to take me to Tiburon(sp?).
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-26, 09:55

Heading out to play a round today. Got the ok from the boss to leave early and meet up with a supplier.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-26, 20:03

How frustrating is it that the last 5 rounds I take 10 strokes off between the front and back? I'll shoot a 53 and then a 43, or a 55 then a 45, today was a 55 and a 42. Hopefully I can put it together tomorrow morning.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-12-27, 08:39

So jealous of you bastards getting to play right now.

Then again, it's going to be almost 50 in the D today and several courses are open, so I should get my ass out there. I've certainly played in worse.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-12-27, 08:54

InTenSity wrote:How frustrating is it that the last 5 rounds I take 10 strokes off between the front and back? I'll shoot a 53 and then a 43, or a 55 then a 45, today was a 55 and a 42. Hopefully I can put it together tomorrow morning.

Leave the driver in the bag?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next