Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bar rescue: landshark

+11
InTenSity
MiamiSpartan
Robert J Sakimano
Cym Jim
Bizarro Fletch
duffy munn
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
NigelUno
Watch Out Pylon!
Blanch32
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

bar rescue: landshark - Page 2 Empty Re: bar rescue: landshark

Post by steveschneider 2015-03-11, 12:34

duffy munn wrote:

Great place with a bunch of hardcore regulars. The owners are personal friends and run a very successful business. As for Bukowski, I think you mean Bobby Sak.

Will put it on my 'to do' list next time I'm there.

What about the bar "The Unicorn" in old town?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-03-11, 12:45

InTenSity wrote:I saw bits and pieces of Sandbar rescue. Are they trying to become upscale now? At least I finally recognized a few people from a TV show. Maybe Mentalstate will stop by again and let us know.
I watched it On Demand last night. It's being replayed Sunday at 8 as well, I believe. I'll give some thoughts. The tl;dnr is that Taffer wanted it to be upscale, but they're changing a lot of things since the show.

No, I don't think they are trying to be upscale. That's where Taffer missed the mark straight from the get go, saying that Coconut Grove is so upscale and they need to get upscale clientele. The Grove is a huge mix. There are definitely some very high income people that live there, but it also has a lot of young people, laid back free spirits, etc. The thing is, trendy upscale restaurants are a dime a dozen in the Grove and Miami, so what he was trying to do wouldn't separate them very much. I think it's a good niche spot for college kids, sports fans, and the hippies like that mentalstate character, and it sounds like they're moving back to that, at least to an extent.

Here's a good update on the current status: http://www.barrescueupdates.com/2015/03/bar-rescue-hot-rock-bar-grille-sandbar-grill.html

It's funny that the owners and staff were all saying they liked the name, and that was the first thing they changed back. Except instead of the Sandbar Grill, it's now the Sandbar Grille. That "e" adds class, baby!

I was there a week after the changes (PSU game). I think they had already taken down that white/silver wallpaper (or else I didn't notice it). They'd changed the name back, taken down a lot of the new artwork they put on the walls. By the time of the Cotton Bowl, they had re-painted most of the place from what the show did, re-designed the menus that Taffer's people did (which were dark red lettering on black, which was horrible and difficult to read), changed more artwork, etc., and were talking about how much more they would change.

Some of the cosmetic things they do is funny. You know how the tables were always wobbly as shit? They make it look like new tables on the show, but they just put new tops on them, so they're still wobbly as shit, but now with a new (and very sharp) top.

I've never heard Albert talk about fantasy football, but maybe he does more on Sundays. Though it always seems like he's just stopping in, not working, so that part from the show may be true. Matt is always a good guy and came across that way. It was funny at one point when Taffer is bitching out Albert and you see Donnie just cracking up in the background.

The show focused a lot on cocktails, like everyone was ordering those. Even when their on Saturday nights, I've never seen so many cocktails getting served. It's usually more of a beer crowd. So at least the extent of the cocktails shown certainly seemed set up.

The downside for us is that they moved our regular TV (one of the larger and better TVs) to another area, so we got one of the standard more crappy TVs. They also removed the high top tables where we usually sit, so I've had to sit at regular tables behind where we usually sit. That hurt the mojo a little. We'd have blown Baylor out if it wasn't for them moving the TV and tables we usually sit at. Fuckin' Taffer, causing us all that drama and heart attacks for nothing.

In the end, they get new table tops, some fresh decor, and a couple new menu and drink items, along with the publicity. And they can (and apparently have) still moved a lot of stuff back.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-03-11, 12:48

InTenSity wrote:

The last 2 times I went there my wings came out cold and over cooked. There was definitely a decline in quality from the previous year, or I have really bad luck. I just don't bitch about things like that. I knew I was in trouble when it took 20 minutes to get them. I didn't see the whole episode, just bits and pieces and the end of it.

I'm pretty sure that every house that Love it or List it remodels, has some huge problem that knocks out half the budget to fix and absolutely that the first 3 houses they see have issues that the owners don't like, until that last one that is perfect for them.
The service has never been great, that's for sure. I often got steak tacos, and those were always fine and fully cooked. But they changed those up a lot, so that's not my go to anymore. Their ribs are decent, as bar ribs go. They didn't change at all after the show, except that they now put a single leaf of lettuce on the plate underneath the ribs. Fancy!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-03-11, 13:21

steveschneider wrote:

Will put it on my 'to do' list next time I'm there.

What about the bar "The Unicorn" in old town?
The Unicorn is one of my favorite places in Lansing.. it's just a bar, though - no food. Tommy is still alive and kicking. Great guy - can be kind of ornery but I think he's earned the right to be. Buys me a $1.75 can of Budweiser from time to time.. bar rescue: landshark - Page 2 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-03-11, 13:24

Robert J Sakimano wrote:The Unicorn is one of my favorite places in Lansing.. it's just a bar, though - no food. Tommy is still alive and kicking. Great guy - can be kind of ornery but I think he's earned the right to be. Buys me a $1.75 can of Budweiser from time to time.. bar rescue: landshark - Page 2 502811600

Next time I'm there I'm going. Will post on here when that happens.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-03-11, 13:33

steveschneider wrote:

Next time I'm there I'm going. Will post on here when that happens.
cool.. definitely a unique crowd - mostly just old blue collar regulars. Every now and then some yuppies stagger in.. I think they mistake it for Zoobies - don't waste your time there, by the way.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-03-11, 15:54

Robert J Sakimano wrote:cool.. definitely a unique crowd - mostly just old blue collar regulars. Every now and then some yuppies stagger in.. I think they mistake it for Zoobies - don't waste your time there, by the way.

I just googled that place, I think I went there when it was some place else. Ed's? That seemed like a Charles Bukowski type place back then.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-03-11, 16:10

steveschneider wrote:

I just googled that place, I think I went there when it was some place else. Ed's? That seemed like a Charles Bukowski type place back then.
Zoobies? I'm not sure what it's been before - but a couple of years ago it opened up to cater to the khaki pants, craft beer crowd. I've been there 3-4 times (I have a friend who is in the khaki pants, craft beer crowd) but it's not my scene.

also, I have no idea who Charles Bukowski is..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-03-11, 16:17

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Zoobies? I'm not sure what it's been before - but a couple of years ago it opened up to cater to the khaki pants, craft beer crowd. I've been there 3-4 times (I have a friend who is in the khaki pants, craft beer crowd) but it's not my scene.

also, I have no idea who Charles Bukowski is..

What? Dude, go get his book Post Office right now. You'll finish it in like a day or two.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-03-12, 07:11

steveschneider wrote:

What? Dude, go get his book Post Office right now. You'll finish it in like a day or two.
but I can't read.. thanks for reminding me.... No
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-03-12, 09:50

steveschneider wrote:

just read about it a little on Amazon. Sounds like something to keep me busy off and on this summer.. thanks.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2