Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 Baseball Preview

5 posters

Go down

2015 Baseball Preview Empty 2015 Baseball Preview

Post by steveschneider 2015-03-25, 14:34

Over the next couple of days I'm going to do some very brief write ups about each division. Anyone feel free to contribute. I can not wait for opening day!

I'll start with the NL East

1. Washington Nationals
2. Miami Marlins
3. NY Mets
4. Atlanta Braves
5. Phillies

I think Washington has the rotation and the pieces to finish in the top 3 of baseball. I can't see anyone in the division challenging them. Prior to Wheeler blowing out his arm I thought the Mets would be a long shot for a Wild Cards spot. De Grom is a strike out expert, unfortunately for them so is Granderson. I just don't think they have the offense yet and until their owners start spending it's going to be a middle of the field team for the next couple of years. Best the Mets can hope for is come late August/September they are still in the conversation.

Marlins have some good pitching and a little more offensive power. I like them to finish 2nd.

The conference I'm most intrigued by is the NL Central. Will preview them tomorrow.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

2015 Baseball Preview Empty Re: 2015 Baseball Preview

Post by NigelUno 2015-03-25, 14:39

steveschneider wrote:Over the next couple of days I'm going to do some very brief write ups about each division. Anyone feel free to contribute. I can not wait for opening day!

1. Washington Nationals
2. Miami Marlins
3. NY Mets
4. Atlanta Braves
5. Phillies

I think Washington has the rotation and the pieces to finish in the top 3 of baseball. I can't see anyone in the division challenging them. Prior to Wheeler blowing out his arm I thought the Mets would be a long shot for a Wild Cards spot. De Grom is a strike out expert, unfortunately for them so is Granderson. I just don't think they have the offense yet and until their owners start spending it's going to be a middle of the field team for the next couple of years. Best the Mets can hope for is come late August/September they are still in the conversation.

Marlins have some good pitching and a little more offensive power. I like them to finish 2nd.

The conference I'm most intrigued by is the NL Central. Will preview them tomorrow.

You overrated the Braves.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-03-25, 14:58

NigelUno wrote:

I probably overrated the Mets actually. I'm banking a lot on Harvey coming back and gambling that someone else emerges with some steady offensive production.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2015-03-25, 15:38

NL Central...

1. Cards (91 wins)
2. Pirates (89 wins)
3. Brewers (81 wins)
4. Cubs (79 wins)
5. Reds (78 wins)
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-03-26, 15:38

1. Cards (91 wins)
2. Pirates (89 wins)
3. Brewers (81 wins)
4. Cubs (79 wins)
5. Reds (78 wins)

Here's my take

1. Cards
2. Pirates
3. Cubs
4. Brewers
5. Reds

Tough division, and I'm not picking against the cards but if the Pirates have someone swivel up I think they could win the division this year. Love their outfield, great lineup, decent bp but weak starters. I'm sticking with the birds though. They have the fans, the cool logo and the mystique.

I like the Cubs a lot this year. Maddon and Lester and watch for emerging star Kris Bryant. Cubs will sit him for something like 12 games for some contract reasons that I forget why. I think they get an extra year of him cheaper to avoid him going on the market a year earlier. Too lazy to look it up but he's one of Boras' players so I like it that the Cubs are sticking it to him. If Bryant is all that, then sitting him out for those games could cost them in a tight race at the end of the season for the wild card.

Cubs are trending up though, and i think they'll be a playoff team in a year or so.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-03-26, 15:45

steveschneider wrote:
1. Cards (91 wins)
2. Pirates (89 wins)
3. Brewers (81 wins)
4. Cubs (79 wins)
5. Reds (78 wins)

Here's my take

Tough division, and I'm not picking against the cards but if the Pirates have someone swivel up I think they could win the division this year. Love their outfield, great lineup, decent bp but weak starters. I'm sticking with the birds though. They have the fans, the cool logo and the mystique.

The biggest question mark for the Pirates will be the play of Andrew McCutchen without his dreadlocks.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-03-26, 15:46

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Over the next couple of days I'm going to do some very brief write ups about each division. Anyone feel free to contribute. I can not wait for opening day!

1. Washington Nationals
2. Miami Marlins
3. NY Mets
4. Atlanta Braves
5. Phillies

No, it's more like the Phillies are going to be really bad this year. I can't think of anyone good on their team except for Cole Hamels. With Cliff Lee getting hurt, and Rollins and Howard being old, I really don't see anyone else being close to the worst team in the NL East.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-03-26, 15:47

Floyd Robertson wrote:
steveschneider wrote:
1. Cards (91 wins)
2. Pirates (89 wins)
3. Brewers (81 wins)
4. Cubs (79 wins)
5. Reds (78 wins)

Here's my take

The biggest question mark for the Pirates will be the play of Andrew McCutchen without his dreadlocks.

Guy is a gamer, I'm confident he'll bring it this year.

My main question is how many times will Gomez break the unwritten rules of baseball?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-03-26, 15:48

CheesySpartan wrote:NL Central...

1. Cards (91 wins)
2. Pirates (89 wins)
3. Brewers (81 wins)
4. Cubs (79 wins)
5. Reds (78 wins)

Probably swap the Brewers and the Cubs. The Brewers' record last year was propped up by what was a fluky hot start on offense that couldn't be sustained (they didn't walk much, IIRC).

Cubs get more talent this year, and an upgrade at manager, so I think they win a few more and finish ahead of the Brewers. NL Central is still the Cardinals' division to lose, though.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-03-26, 15:49

HT wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

1. Washington Nationals
2. Miami Marlins
3. NY Mets
4. Atlanta Braves
5. Phillies

No, it's more like the Phillies are going to be really bad this year. I can't think of anyone good on their team except for Cole Hamels. With Cliff Lee getting hurt, and Rollins and Howard being old, I really don't see anyone else being close to the worst team in the NL East.

I haven't really thought about it much, but I think Phillies will probably be the worst team in the NL this year. I'm banking on the Diamondbacks new manager getting some more life out of that team and guessing Troy Tulowitzki is back for the Rockies.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-03-26, 15:50

HT wrote:

1. Cards (91 wins)
2. Pirates (89 wins)
3. Brewers (81 wins)
4. Cubs (79 wins)
5. Reds (78 wins)

Probably swap the Brewers and the Cubs. The Brewers' record last year was propped up by what was a fluky hot start on offense that couldn't be sustained (they didn't walk much, IIRC).

Cubs get more talent this year, and an upgrade at manager, so I think they win a few more and finish ahead of the Brewers. NL Central is still the Cardinals' division to lose, though.

Yep, until someone unseats the Cards I'm going with them. Hard to bet against the team with two birds perched on a bat.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-03-26, 15:50

Will do the NL West tomorrow. Anyone feel free to chime in and add your own.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-03-26, 15:58

steveschneider wrote:Will do the NL West tomorrow. Anyone feel free to chime in and add your own.

Probably will go something like:

1. Dodgers
2. Giants
3. Padres
4. Diamondbacks
5. Rockies

I think the Dodgers will do well in the regular season again, and the Giants will just get by and make the playoffs as a wild card (and my god do I hate the Giants, their fans, and the fluky luck they get in October after mediocre seasons).

I don't think the Padres' upgrades bring them beyond a 84-85 win team. I also think Tulo gets hurt like he always does and that brings the Rockies below the Diamondbacks in the standings.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-03-26, 16:07

HT wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Will do the NL West tomorrow. Anyone feel free to chime in and add your own.

1. Dodgers
2. Giants
3. Padres
4. Diamondbacks
5. Rockies

I think the Dodgers will do well in the regular season again, and the Giants will just get by and make the playoffs as a wild card (and my god do I hate the Giants, their fans, and the fluky luck they get in October after mediocre seasons).

I don't think the Padres' upgrades bring them beyond a 84-85 win team. I also think Tulo gets hurt like he always does and that brings the Rockies below the Diamondbacks in the standings.

What is it about the Giants and their unbelievable leap in the stats in the post season?

I'm convinced there's some kind of upper or performance enhancing drug they are taking during the playoffs.

Sandoval's 3 hr's off Verlander, Bumgarner's unbelievable performance for the ages and Hunter Pence's eyes bugging out!

I'm cool with cheating and lets not forget they already stole the 51 WS by cheating.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-02, 11:05

HT wrote:

1. Dodgers
2. Giants
3. Padres
4. Diamondbacks
5. Rockies

Fell off track a bit, had a busy week. Yeah, I think your analysis is pretty spot on. It's going to be interesting watching the Padres with their free agency pickups and I'll be curious to see how the Giants adapt to life after the Panda.

SF could surprise us all and win the division again. They have the pitching and they seem great at developing talent.

I hate their fans, but their team is a pretty like able group of freaks. Hunter Pence will bug out even further if they do it.

I'm moving on to the AL Central.

1. Cleveland
2. Detroit
3. Chicago
4. Kansas City
5. Minnesota

I love the acquisition of Moss for Cleveland, and I think Francona finally has the team he needs to take it. Detroit's idea of fixing the bullpen by doing nothing is going to cost them this year. I'm also concerned about our aces, I think in the long run detroit would have been better off keeping Fister, Smyly and Porcello. I can't see Price being a Cy young winner, but I see him being rock solid. Verlander is going to be a bad contract from here on out. I like our outfield. For infield I see a ton of question marks. Should improve at 3b (can't get much worse), SS is a huge question mark, and a huge concern is at catcher. Would not be surprised to see a big trade for a Navarro at some point.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2015-04-02, 14:26

HT wrote:

1. Cards (91 wins)
2. Pirates (89 wins)
3. Brewers (81 wins)
4. Cubs (79 wins)
5. Reds (78 wins)

Well I'm from Milwaukee so I'm sure as shit not going to pick the sCubs ahead of the Crew if its close...in 2 years that's different.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-04-02, 17:56

steveschneider wrote:
HT wrote:

1. Dodgers
2. Giants
3. Padres
4. Diamondbacks
5. Rockies

Fell off track a bit, had a busy week. Yeah, I think your analysis is pretty spot on. It's going to be interesting watching the Padres with their free agency pickups and I'll be curious to see how the Giants adapt to life after the Panda.

SF could surprise us all and win the division again. They have the pitching and they seem great at developing talent.

I hate their fans, but their team is a pretty like able group of freaks. Hunter Pence will bug out even further if they do it.

I'm moving on to the AL Central.

1. Cleveland
2. Detroit
3. Chicago
4. Kansas City
5. Minnesota

I love the acquisition of Moss for Cleveland, and I think Francona finally has the team he needs to take it. Detroit's idea of fixing the bullpen by doing nothing is going to cost them this year. I'm also concerned about our aces, I think in the long run detroit would have been better off keeping Fister, Smyly and Porcello. I can't see Price being a Cy young winner, but I see him being rock solid. Verlander is going to be a bad contract from here on out. I like our outfield. For infield I see a ton of question marks. Should improve at 3b (can't get much worse), SS is a huge question mark, and a huge concern is at catcher. Would not be surprised to see a big trade for a Navarro at some point.

I would probably go

1. Cleveland
2. Chicago
3. Detroit
4. Kansas City
5. Minnesota.

I really, really would like the Tigers to win it, but I don't think they have the horses to do it (nor am I an Ausmus fan). Sure, I think the lineup is a bit better this year with the addition of Cespedes, but I think the pitching is much worse. I see the Tigers as an 80-83 win kind of team this year.

Cleveland, they have the best overall team in the division, and the best manager. I like Chicago's offseason moves as well. I don't think any AL Central team will be outstanding, and something like 88 wins will be enough to win the division.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down