Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts about our starting defensive line

+2
Tim Wakefield
HT
6 posters

Go down

Thoughts about our starting defensive line Empty Thoughts about our starting defensive line

Post by HT 2015-03-26, 01:04

Besides the fact that our DL has incredible size (seriously, that defensive line looks like it's NFL-sized), I thought it was really interesting that Thomas was moved to the outside while McDowell was kept at NT.

I at first was hoping for the opposite, but then I saw Coach D's remarks about possibly having some 3-4 alignment plays in our defense. Then I remembered Narduzzi made comments last year about a 3-4 Viper package, and it hit me...there could be a serious chance at seeing some 3-4 out of us this fall.

McDowell is perfect for that NT position, because I think he's got the skillset to play DT in a 3-4. Heath and Thomas would be capable DEs in this set because of their size and quick step (particularly LT). Calhoun dropping a bit of weight, combined with his prior speed, makes him a perfect candidate to shift to OLB in a 3-4 set (and Narduzzi specifically mentioned Calhoun as an OLB in his 3-4 Viper package).

It would make sense that Coach D would want us to add some 3-4. It would allow us to match up better defensively against teams like Ohio State and Oregon. It would also give opposing OCs more to prepare for regardless in addition to our base 4-3 defense and our 3-3-5 passing down defense.

What's really exciting about this is...I think, because of our base defense and the versatility that Calhoun could provide at his size, we can perfectly mask any 3-4 plays behind a 4-3 before the snap. Unless we make it obvious, opposing offenses, theoretically, could have a tough time figuring out if we'll attack in a 3-4 or a 4-3. Our defense should be significantly more versatile with LT at DE instead of McDowell and Calhoun losing a few pounds to be able to play both OLB and DE.

Just a random observation. That depth chart had me so excited, but thinking about the possibilities with our defense this year...I cannot wait for football season to get here.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Thoughts about our starting defensive line Empty Re: Thoughts about our starting defensive line

Post by Tim Wakefield 2015-03-26, 01:07

Our D line (and O line too now that I think about it) is gonna be stupid good. Us and OSU could both be top 5 in the nation in the trenches this year. #B1G
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Thoughts about our starting defensive line Empty Re: Thoughts about our starting defensive line

Post by HT 2015-03-26, 01:16

Tim Wakefield wrote:Our D line (and O line too now that I think about it) is gonna be stupid good. Us and OSU could both be top 5 in the nation in the trenches this year. #B1G

Our D line against most of the B1G OL will be like men going against boys. There is so much size and experience in the trenches it isn't even funny.

SHILIQUE CALHOUN (6-5, 250, Sr.-5)
JOEL HEATH (6-6, 296, Sr.-5)
MALIK MCDOWELL (6-6, 285, So.)
LAWRENCE THOMAS (6-4, 300, Sr.-5)

That is fucking huge. Compare that DL to the OL on our schedule this year, particularly against teams like Michigan and PSU that had OL issues last year and attrition there this offseason.

This DL could really go off on a team like...Michigan (and man do I hope for a 2013 redux in Ann Arbor). Besides OSU and maybe Oregon, I don't know who else on our schedule has the size/strength/speed to beat our DL in the trenches. Should help us break in the new CBs this fall.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2015-03-26, 01:30

[kool_aid]
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2015-03-26, 08:53

HT wrote:
Tim Wakefield wrote:Our D line (and O line too now that I think about it) is gonna be stupid good. Us and OSU could both be top 5 in the nation in the trenches this year. #B1G

Our D line against most of the B1G OL will be like men going against boys. There is so much size and experience in the trenches it isn't even funny.

That is fucking huge. Compare that DL to the OL on our schedule this year, particularly against teams like Michigan and PSU that had OL issues last year and attrition there this offseason.

This DL could really go off on a team like...Michigan (and man do I hope for a 2013 redux in Ann Arbor). Besides OSU and maybe Oregon, I don't know who else on our schedule has the size/strength/speed to beat our DL in the trenches. Should help us break in the new CBs this fall.

The cornerback situation is the biggest ? on the team right now. We're really going to need to put pressure on the QB.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-03-26, 08:59

tTito wrote:
HT wrote:

The cornerback situation is the biggest ? on the team right now. We're really going to need to put pressure on the QB.

Agreed. I am really worried about the CB situation, but hopefully our DL gives us a great pass rush to make things a bit easier for them.

I personally think it's going to be Copeland and Cox starting. Copeland, IIRC, was a state champion in track in HS. He'll give us a lot more speed in the backfield, which I think can help compensate for his youth.

Was really hoping things would work out with Hicks, though. I thought he had a ton of potential considering he wasn't redshirted and was starting as a true sophomore.

Also would have loved to have kept Cox at safety. Hopefully his physicality translates well at CB.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2015-03-26, 09:13

Copeland is listed at 6' 0" and 200 lbs. That's big for a field corner. If he has quickness to go with his track speed and gets his technique down he could be a stud.

His bio says his track title was in the 400m. He also played RB and returned kicks. He could be a good candidate for kick and punt returns.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-03-26, 09:17

tTito wrote:Copeland is listed at 6' 0" and 200 lbs. That's big for a field corner. If he has quickness to go with his track speed and gets his technique down he could be a stud.

Just saw that he has 22 pounds on Hicks (who i pretty small at 178). If Copeland has the speed still, I think he's without a doubt starting. 

Dantonio might just be listing them as co-starters so as to get them thinking it's a competition so they'll push themselves more.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-03-26, 09:36

HT wrote:Besides the fact that our DL has incredible size (seriously, that defensive line looks like it's NFL-sized), I thought it was really interesting that Thomas was moved to the outside while McDowell was kept at NT.

I at first was hoping for the opposite, but then I saw Coach D's remarks about possibly having some 3-4 alignment plays in our defense. Then I remembered Narduzzi made comments last year about a 3-4 Viper package, and it hit me...there could be a serious chance at seeing some 3-4 out of us this fall.

McDowell is perfect for that NT position, because I think he's got the skillset to play DT in a 3-4. Heath and Thomas would be capable DEs in this set because of their size and quick step (particularly LT). Calhoun dropping a bit of weight, combined with his prior speed, makes him a perfect candidate to shift to OLB in a 3-4 set (and Narduzzi specifically mentioned Calhoun as an OLB in his 3-4 Viper package).

It would make sense that Coach D would want us to add some 3-4. It would allow us to match up better defensively against teams like Ohio State and Oregon. It would also give opposing OCs more to prepare for regardless in addition to our base 4-3 defense and our 3-3-5 passing down defense.

What's really exciting about this is...I think, because of our base defense and the versatility that Calhoun could provide at his size, we can perfectly mask any 3-4 plays behind a 4-3 before the snap. Unless we make it obvious, opposing offenses, theoretically, could have a tough time figuring out if we'll attack in a 3-4 or a 4-3. Our defense should be significantly more versatile with LT at DE instead of McDowell and Calhoun losing a few pounds to be able to play both OLB and DE.

Just a random observation. That depth chart had me so excited, but thinking about the possibilities with our defense this year...I cannot wait for football season to get here.

I think that LT is quicker. I don't know about faster from A to B, but I do think he's quicker and has a better skill set for DE. I think he proved he's pretty athletic by playing FB and Tight End.

I wouldn't want to put blocking schemes up against our D-Line next year.

And yes, the Corner is a spot of concern, but guys, I have a feeling that the D-line is going to make our Dbacks and LB's look much better. Just watch.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2015-03-26, 09:52

DWags wrote:

I think that LT is quicker. I don't know about faster from A to B, but I do think he's quicker and has a better skill set for DE. I think he proved he's pretty athletic by playing FB and Tight End.

And yes, the Corner is a spot of concern, but guys, I have a feeling that the D-line is going to make our Dbacks and LB's look much better. Just watch.

Thoughts about our starting defensive line 1837840279
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2015-03-26, 10:12

Don't sleep on Craig Evans. WOTS is he's in great shape heading into spring ball.

Agree 100% with DWags on the relationship between corners and D-Line. If one is elite, the other is markedly better than they should be on paper.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-03-26, 10:15

Our D line and O line are going to be awesome. Our secondary is going to be questionable and if Hicks is back, it will suck unless hes stops sucking and grows a few zilly pounds and maybe a few zilly inches so he stops sucking.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2015-03-26, 10:17

SeeRockCity wrote:Don't sleep on Craig Evans. WOTS is he's in great shape heading into spring ball.

Agree 100% with DWags on the relationship between corners and D-Line. If one is elite, the other is markedly better than they should be on paper.

There was a pic of Enoch Smith from last year's Spring practice and he looked like his arms were bigger than most guys' legs. Leg arms.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-03-26, 10:19

tTito wrote:
SeeRockCity wrote:Don't sleep on Craig Evans. WOTS is he's in great shape heading into spring ball.

There was a pic of Enoch Smith from last year's Spring practice and he looked like his arms were bigger than most guys' legs. Leg arms.

I hope he strangles every single opposing lineman
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2015-03-26, 10:19

tTito wrote:

lol. I remember that. Good times.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-03-26, 10:27

SeeRockCity wrote:
tTito wrote:
SeeRockCity wrote:Don't sleep on Craig Evans.  WOTS is he's in great shape heading into spring ball.

Agree 100% with DWags on the relationship between corners and D-Line.  If one is elite, the other is markedly better than they should be on paper.

lol.  I remember that.   Good times.

speaking of good times, remember when we made out under a tree. I don't because I don't suck
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-03-26, 14:19

Guest wrote:
tTito wrote:
SeeRockCity wrote:Don't sleep on Craig Evans.  WOTS is he's in great shape heading into spring ball.

Agree 100% with DWags on the relationship between corners and D-Line.  If one is elite, the other is markedly better than they should be on paper.

I hope he strangles every single opposing lineman

Who are you?
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-03-26, 14:21

STAR SO HARD
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-03-26, 14:23

DWags wrote:
HT wrote:.

I think that LT is quicker.  I don't know about faster from A to B, but I do think he's quicker and has a better skill set for DE.  I think he proved he's pretty athletic by playing FB and Tight End.  

And yes, the Corner is a spot of concern, but guys, I have a feeling that the D-line is going to make our Dbacks and LB's look much better.   Just watch.

I'm with you in that I think our D-line is going to really help the rest of the defense this year. Given the size/speed we have in the trenches, we're going to be a pain to block against. I think OSU is the only team on our schedule at the moment that has the guys on OL to really win battles against our D-line.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down