Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rosetta Stone

+2
CORNER BLITZ
gomersbro
6 posters

Go down

Rosetta Stone Empty Rosetta Stone

Post by gomersbro Sat 30 May 2015 - 12:10

I am wanting to learn German quickly. Has anyone used Rosetta Stone? Is it worth the cost? I care more about understanding conversation than reading the newspaper. And I am terrible with memorization which is what most of the free software out their focuses on.

Danke!
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Rosetta Stone Empty Re: Rosetta Stone

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sat 30 May 2015 - 13:37

The app duolingo is damn near identical to Rosetta stone from the copy I may or may not have torrented...
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 May 2015 - 13:50

gomersbro wrote:I am wanting to learn German quickly. Has anyone used Rosetta Stone? Is it worth the cost? I care more about understanding conversation than reading the newspaper. And I am terrible with memorization which is what most of the free software out their focuses on.

Danke!

Stick your finger up your aunt's ass until she speaks German, then learn by immersion.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 3 Mar 2024 - 20:40

Hey gomersbro, did you end up getting Rosetta Stone or another program, and how did it go? I’m looking at RS and Babbel and would like rekkies.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Sun 3 Mar 2024 - 21:39

When I visit Europe and need to communicate with the non-American English speaking locals I just talk louder.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sun 3 Mar 2024 - 21:42

GRR Spartan wrote:When I visit Europe and need to communicate with the non-American English speaking locals I just talk louder.

Lol
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro Sun 3 Mar 2024 - 23:48

tGreenWay wrote:Hey gomersbro, did you end up getting Rosetta Stone or another program, and how did it go? I’m looking at RS and Babbel and would like rekkies.

I ended up taking CB's advice and using Duolingo. It is free and was easy to use the app when I just had a few moments. If I remember correctly, Rosetta Stone was only on the computer. But what really helped me was YouTube just watching and listening (and you can sometimes read with subtitles). I started with children's programming because they spoke more clearly.

But I don't know if you should take my advice, I started this thread nine years ago and the proper German grammar still is a mystery to me.
gomersbro
Spartiate

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro Sun 3 Mar 2024 - 23:48

GRR Spartan wrote:When I visit Europe and need to communicate with the non-American English speaking locals I just talk louder.

Dad, is that you?
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 4 Mar 2024 - 2:54

gomersbro wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Hey gomersbro, did you end up getting Rosetta Stone or another program, and how did it go? I’m looking at RS and Babbel and would like rekkies.

I ended up taking CB's advice and using Duolingo. It is free and was easy to use the app when I just had a few moments. If I remember correctly, Rosetta Stone was only on the computer. But what really helped me was YouTube just watching and listening (and you can sometimes read with subtitles). I started with children's programming because they spoke more clearly.

But I don't know if you should take my advice, I started this thread nine years ago and the proper German grammar still is a mystery to me.

Thanks. I asked because I noticed both babbel and RS were offering pretty good deals for lifetime subscriptions. RS offers more languages and is a little more expensive. Babbel was something like $300 for the lifetime sub. Spanish seems like a practical start, and would make others like Italian easier to learn. I need to look into Duolingo.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 4 Mar 2024 - 2:58

I do worry if I learn Pashto or Farsi that I’m going to get pressured into joining the CIA and sent to Afghanistan. Maybe I’ll learn Russian so I can spy on Vladimir. 😈
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Mon 4 Mar 2024 - 7:57

tGreenWay wrote:I do worry if I learn Pashto or Farsi that I’m going to get pressured into joining the CIA and sent to Afghanistan. Maybe I’ll learn Russian so I can spy on Vladimir. 😈

Stay away from windows once you get to Russia, for some reason Russian windows are enticing to jump out of.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down