Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Pharoah Wins Triple Crown!

+12
The_Dude
Travis of the Cosmos
Rocinante
Ass Dan
WhiteBoyHatcher
HT
kingstonlake
Cym Jim
Dr. Strangelove
Other Teams Pursuing That
InTenSity
Code_Warrior
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

American Pharoah Wins Triple Crown! Empty American Pharoah Wins Triple Crown!

Post by Code_Warrior Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:09 pm

And it wasn't even close! 2:26. However, Secretariat was at 2:24, so Secretariat still wins.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

American Pharoah Wins Triple Crown! Empty Re: American Pharoah Wins Triple Crown!

Post by InTenSity Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:31 pm

I thought it was going to be close around turn 4, then he kicked on after burners. Holy shit.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

American Pharoah Wins Triple Crown! Empty Re: American Pharoah Wins Triple Crown!

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:35 pm

Yay I guess
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:37 pm

InTenSity wrote:I thought it was going to be close around turn 4, then he kicked on after burners. Holy shit.
It was awesome to watch him just pull away and yet he still would've finished 2 full seconds behind Secretariat. That just blows my mind.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:58 pm

Secretariat's 2:24 is still the mile and a half world record after 42 years.

American Pharoah is gonna have a nice life from now on - just fucking and eating unless they race him in the Breeder's. I don't see them doing that though. No glue factory for him.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:09 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Secretariat's 2:24 is still the mile and a half world record after 42 years.

American Pharoah is gonna have a nice life from now on - just fucking and eating unless they race him in the Breeder's. I don't see them doing that though. No glue factory for him.

In the pre-race show they said that the owner already sold the horse to a breeder, or was it just the breeding rights, I can't remember.  They didn't say for how much though.  Life will be good for that horse.  It's good to be the king.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:11 pm

Probably doping.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:23 pm

Fix. Effort to boost a dying industry
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:29 pm

Nice story:

American Pharoah wins Triple Crown to finally end 37-year drought

Interesting how TC winners seem to come in clusters.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:28 pm

Just like boxing...horse racing is a boring, dying sport for the older generations.

Didn't even realize the Belmont Stakes was today, or that there was someone contending for the Triple Crown.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:33 pm

HT wrote:Just like boxing...horse racing is a boring, dying sport for the older generations.

Didn't even realize the Belmont Stakes was today, or that there was someone contending for the Triple Crown.

Boring until you put some $$ on it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:34 pm

HT wrote:Just like boxing...horse racing is a boring, dying sport for the older generations.

I like both sports a lot and I'm not all that old. If you've ever been up close at a track to thoroughbreds, even if they're not high end ones....it is mind blowing how big and athletic and fast those animals are. It's actually pretty mind blowing to watch a race by the finish line. 

That said, I agree that both sports are dying and will eventually die off because society is not going to tolerate the wear and tear on the animals and/or boxers for very long.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:48 pm

Horse racing is boorish and archaic. Psyched the gambling group made some money though
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:27 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

I like both sports a lot and I'm not all that old. If you've ever been up close at a track to thoroughbreds, even if they're not high end ones....it is mind blowing how big and athletic and fast those animals are. It's actually pretty mind blowing to watch a race by the finish line. 

That said, I agree that both sports are dying and will eventually die off because society is not going to tolerate the wear and tear on the animals and/or boxers for very long.

I mean, it's cool to go to the track every now and then to see the horses race on a nice day, but I think the overall excitement and hype for the sport really doesn't make sense. I don't think it's that great to watch on TV, and it seems like it's pretty short after all the hype generated.

I had a friend who actually went to the Belmont Stakes yesterday, and I think that would have been pretty cool to witness in person. But I don't really see the appeal if you're not there or don't have any money on it.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:18 am

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog 2m2 minutes ago

Breaking: American Pharoah refuses stud farm assignment; says "I now identify as Nefertiti"
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:48 am

American Pharoah stud fees

Won't race anymore and though not disclosed the speculation is $100k per foal and they expect him to cover over 200 mares a year
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:01 pm

Stay tuned for the next episode of "shit I couldn't care less about".
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:39 pm

Rocinante wrote:Stay tuned for the next episode of "shit I couldn't care less about".
You could've cared less, you could've not posted at all and completely ignored the thread. I think the horse in the window cares though...
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:09 pm

Code_Warrior wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Stay tuned for the next episode of "shit I couldn't care less about".
You could've cared less, you could've not posted at all and completely ignored the thread. I think the horse in the window cares though...

No she's not.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:30 pm

Layden is probably the best horse racing writer out there.....

ELMONT, N.Y. — And so in the long shadows of an early evening in the 37th June since the last, the last, the last—and my god, the last—at a venerable place where hope and desperation had so often melted into painful defeat, history finally let go. The moment unfolded as if from another time, asking a sport for trust that had been lost in too many defeats, too many disappointments, too many euphoric buildups that crashed in gutting failure and sent its loyal fans sulking into the darkness, unfulfilled. For so long, horse racing had been stuck on the same, yellowed page, so many times the Triple Crown had seemed at hand and so many times cruel reality dropped a hammer on old Belmont Park and so many times a generation and more was left without a legend of its own to pass along, left instead to live with musty recollections, growing more distant by the year.

It was a bay colt named American Pharoah who finally set everybody free. At a few minutes before seven on Saturday night, he won the 147th running of the Belmont Stakes and became the 12th winner of racing’s Triple Crown (the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes), mercifully ending the drought that had held racing hostage since 1978, when Affirmed held off Alydar in the stretch at Belmont to win the third Triple Crown of the decade. Twelve horses had since won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness, only to fail in the Belmont Stakes (a 13th, I’ll Have Another, won the first two legs but was scratched from the Belmont with an injury). Twelve horses had lost in every imaginable way, and some had begun to say that perhaps there would never be another Triple Crown at all.

American Pharoah's Triple Crown obliterates years of disappointment
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:59 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2015/06/07/doyel-american-pharoahs-win-obscures-deadly-secret/28659805/
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:08 pm

Doyel is almost as bad as Rick Reilly on trying to pull the "you should care card". Fucking hate him.

Also I'm not entirely sure why we shouldn't eat horse. I'd try it. I'm guessing it either tastes like half cow/half venison or Taco Bell "beef".
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:23 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Doyel is almost as bad as Rick Reilly on trying to pull the "you should care card". Fucking hate him.

Also I'm not entirely sure why we shouldn't eat horse. I'd try it. I'm guessing it either tastes like half cow/half venison or Taco Bell "beef".

I've never understood the aversion to certain meats. Horse is the biggest, but dogs and rabbits seem to make some squeamish too. If Doyel wants horses bred fat and chunky rather than thin and fast he should be rooting for the meat industry.

I've had horse once while in Canada, never had dog offered to me and have eaten quite a bit of rabbit - they're all just meat with different flavor and texture.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:32 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:Doyel is almost as bad as Rick Reilly on trying to pull the "you should care card". Fucking hate him.

I've never understood the aversion to certain meats.   Horse is the biggest, but dogs and rabbits seem to make some squeamish too.   If Doyel wants horses bred fat and chunky rather than thin and fast he should be rooting for the meat industry.

I've had horse once while in Canada, never had dog offered to me and have eaten quite a bit of rabbit - they're all just meat with different flavor and texture.
Never realized that people have an aversion to rabbit. It was actually a somewhat common thing for me growing up (by somewhat common I mean like a couple times a year.) Dog I can see. Horse I'd have no issue with, but I doubt that opportunity would ever come along.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:33 pm

Also, you guys, let's turn this thread about the triple crown winning horse into a thread about eating horses. Because it would be hilarious.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:35 pm

Gotta love the people that care about horse racing for a few hours every year act like the TC is such an awesome thing for them to see. Neutral
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:54 pm

The_Dude wrote:Gotta love the people that care about horse racing for a few hours every year act like the TC is such an awesome thing for them to see.  Neutral
Stop caring so much about what other people think. If you're such a horse racing fan, then enjoy whatever you get out of this on your own and ignore the other people. Fandom isn't some contest. What do you care if they never watch?

Also, I feel like horsemeat would probably be like a very tough steak. Honestly don't think it would be that good.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:59 pm

Would not eat horse. Or dog. Or cat. 

I think I'd try rabbit. 

Triple Crown was sweet. First race I watched all year. Called my dad to talk about it today. He's a huge fan of thoroughbred racing. Might take him out to Hazeltucky this summer to watch some of the hacks out there.

Not sure if I would eat snake. 

I've had alligator. 

Doyel sucks. But expect to hear more about this over the coming days/weeks/months/years. Because 2015.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:05 pm

As long as it's edible and won't make me ill, I'd try it.  Worse thing I've ever eaten is some Thai soup.  It smelled like shit, literally.  I tasted it since other people were eating it.  I've never tasted shit, but that soup tasted like what I imagine shit tastes like.  I don't know what it was called, but I call it shit soup.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:11 pm

I've had skunk rabbit snake squirl snail. Bear tasted like shit. Literally tasted like shit smells.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:19 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I think I'd try rabbit. Not sure if I would eat snake. I've had alligator. 

I grew up hunting rabbits so ate it quite a bit back then.   I've got a neighbor that raises them for meat now so I occasionally get a couple for cooking.   Pretty tasty and tender.   For someone that wanted to go off the grid there's probably no better meat animal to raise.  Each breeding female will net you 75-100#'s of meat a year, so keeping 5 breeding rabbits (4 females/1 male) will net you 1#+ of meat per day.

Never had snake but I've heard good things.   The only gator I ever had was greasy as hell, I don't know if that's normal or the cook.

Last edited by LooseGoose on Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:19 pm

The_Dude wrote:Gotta love the people that care about horse racing for a few hours every year act like the TC is such an awesome thing for them to see. Neutral
Gotta love people who can't understand why a casual observer might appreciate an exceptional and rare athletic performance by a horse and feel that it's an accomplishment worth noting even though they might not follow the sport all that closely.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:21 pm

DWags wrote:I've had skunk rabbit snake squirl snail. Bear tasted like shit. Literally tasted like shit smells.

LOL, I've had bear a couple times and it was good. Also Elk and Buffalo would be highly recommended.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:26 pm

Bison is excellent. Gotta kinda go on the rare side of medium, which always scares me for ground meat. 

I don't know why, but I definitely have hangups on certain animals. I can't really make a logical case for it. I don't think I would eat bear, for example. I would have no problem with deer or elk, but I think I would be hesitant to eat moose. Bison doesn't bother me. Rabbit doesn't bother me. Don't think I would try fox. 

Completely inane rambling right now for no reason. I love this thread.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:48 pm

Can we talk about frog legs now? I've always understood they're a delicacy, but the 2-3 Times I've had them they have always been meh at best.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:50 pm

They're a pain in the fucking ass. Too much work for too little meat. I can justify the work for king crab legs. For frog legs? Not so much.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:50 pm

Anyone remember the Bad Frog Brewery in B-ham?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:52 pm

Seth Curry is so good.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:56 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Seth Curry is so good.
Speaking of.... I might be headed to India for work this fall. I need a tutorial in Indian food before that. I need a) restaurant recommendations in metro Detroit and b) tips.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:58 pm

I've eaten bear moose wild pig elk deer man snake antelope possum squirrel rabbit goat and I think horse.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next