Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have you ever just handed in your two weeks without anything else lined up?

+10
HT
Turtleneck
Blanch32
kingstonlake
Giant Moose
WhiteBoyHatcher
tGreenWay
CORNER BLITZ
Floyd Robertson
steveschneider
14 posters

Go down

Have you ever just handed in your two weeks without anything else lined up?  Empty Have you ever just handed in your two weeks without anything else lined up?

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-10, 19:46

Had a great thing going, but my company went through a merger and the last month has been brutal.

I really think we bit off more than we can chew, and as a result my work life has sucked. I wish I was optimistic that it could get back to the good old days, but I see no end in sight to the bullshit. Been contemplating just quitting. I have money saved up but that won't last forever.  Life is short. What if I die tomorrow and my last day on earth was spent at a job that made me miserable?

I've updated the resume and started contact with a recruiter. Should I wait it out until I get a new job or just walk? Would love to hear what other swillsters have done in a similar situation.

Last edited by steveschneider on 2015-07-10, 20:05; edited 1 time in total
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Have you ever just handed in your two weeks without anything else lined up?  Empty Re: Have you ever just handed in your two weeks without anything else lined up?

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-07-10, 19:57

You know the old saying, the best time to look for a new job is when you have a job.  I'd tough it out until you have an seamless escape plan.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Have you ever just handed in your two weeks without anything else lined up?  Empty Re: Have you ever just handed in your two weeks without anything else lined up?

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-07-10, 20:02

Single? Married? Kids?
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-10, 20:03

Floyd Robertson wrote:You know the old saying, the best time to look for a new job is when you have a job.  I'd tough it out until you have an seamless escape plan.

Yeah, you are probably right. Hoping someone could convince me to do otherwise.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-10, 20:03

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Single? Married? Kids?

No kids, getting married this fall.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-07-10, 20:07

Just wondering out loud: Is 30 days enough time to judge how the merger is going to shake out? I would wonder if things are still settling. It might be a premature move.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-10, 20:12

My one friend has been trying to convince me to learn code. My favorite thing about my current job is I get to work from home. I started learning ruby and so far its going alright. I'm still in the very basic level stuff.

Has anyone got any on advice on going that route. It would be a big career shift for me, but from what I've learned so far it's pretty interesting. I was good at math and logic in school and that work life seems like it would be enjoyable. I still have to weigh out my options in my current field as well.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-07-10, 20:12

steveschneider wrote:

Probably stay and waste away your life for a paycheck in that case

I'd say fuck it, but I'm weird and not getting married in a few months
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-10, 20:16

tGreenWay wrote:Just wondering out loud:  Is 30 days enough time to judge how the merger is going to shake out?  I would wonder if things are still settling. It might be a premature move.

we've more than doubled in size, and my client list has grown as well. Also, they've implemented all this bs where I have to keep time sheets, make up account lists, attend check in meetings, and usually after a merger there's another round of layoffs after a quarter. Morale is completely in the dumps. The benefits of working for a small company are gone for good, and the situation right now is a complete charlie foxtrot.

I think it'll probably take a solid year for the two companies to integrate completely. I've thought it through, and I admit I'm a wuss. I can't tough out a miserable job for a year.

Last edited by steveschneider on 2015-07-10, 20:18; edited 1 time in total
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-07-10, 20:17

steveschneider wrote:My favorite thing about my current job is I get to work from home.

Game changer. Suck it up til it passes or something else comes up

Buy a new monitor/desk/tv or some shit for your workspace, go on a vacation, just do something exciting to change it up

Also you better not be getting married during a football game
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-07-10, 20:18

steveschneider wrote:

Mistress already lined up?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-07-10, 20:23

I wouldn't quit without anything lined up. You live in NY dude. COL is insane out there. 

Honestly, if you have decent job skills finding a new job is not that difficult. Right before my daughter was born I was informed that my position would be eliminated at the end of the year (it was like December 1st). I freaked. I had an offer that I didn't want to take for more money within a week. By the time my daughter was born on 12/18 I had an email with an official offer from another company for like a 20% increase in pay. And I held out because the offer I really wanted hadn't come in yet. Took that one a week later for roughly 25% more and with a job role I liked more. All were remote. I'm not that special. I just don't think it's that hard to get a good job once you've been in the work force and gained experience for 10-12+ years.

Use the shit out of LinkedIn. Find jobs that sound interesting to you and reach out to contacts of yours that have contacts with people in those companies. Use the shit out of existing connections. You'll have some solid leads within a week and I'd bet after 2-3 weeks have some decisions to make. 

Also, if you don't mind sharing, what do you do? Maybe someone here can help.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-10, 20:26

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Yeah, I know you are right. I have the angel and the devil on my shoulder, one is telling me to stay the other is telling me to quit.

I was just hoping to hear an inspirational story of someone quitting a corporate job they hated.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-10, 20:35

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I wouldn't quit without anything lined up. You live in NY dude. COL is insane out there. 

Honestly, if you have decent job skills finding a new job is not that difficult. Right before my daughter was born I was informed that my position would be eliminated at the end of the year (it was like December 1st). I freaked. I had an offer that I didn't want to take for more money within a week. By the time my daughter was born on 12/18 I had an email with an official offer from another company for like a 20% increase in pay. And I held out because the offer I really wanted hadn't come in yet. Took that one a week later for roughly 25% more and with a job role I liked more. All were remote. I'm not that special. I just don't think it's that hard to get a good job once you've been in the work force and gained experience for 10-12+ years.

Use the shit out of LinkedIn. Find jobs that sound interesting to you and reach out to contacts of yours that have contacts with people in those companies. Use the shit out of existing connections. You'll have some solid leads within a week and I'd bet after 2-3 weeks have some decisions to make. 

Also, if you don't mind sharing, what do you do? Maybe someone here can help.

Doing just about everything you mentioned in the post except for the linkedin. Will have to get one going. I've already got some interest from a former boss if a position opens up. I'll do the responsible thing, and just find a better job.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-07-10, 20:39

That's the cool thing about linkedin. Once you find something you're interested in, it's very easy to use it to see who in your network may be connected to someone who works there. Reach out, facilitate intro to 3rd party and game on. 

And I think there may have been a thread here with someone railing about it, but I actually used it to help find my current job so I'm not gonna complain about privacy invasions.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-10, 20:45

A good friend of mine did this and he had a new job within a month. It's risky but it definitely can be done. Go for it if it makes you happy.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-10, 21:11

Giant Moose wrote:A good friend of mine did this and he had a new job within a month. It's risky but it definitely can be done. Go for it if it makes you happy.

God bless him, that's what I want to hear! I wish I had the stones to do it.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-07-10, 21:35

steveschneider wrote:

The best thing about this place is that THERE IS ONLY ONE GODDAMN RULE
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-07-10, 22:14

steveschneider wrote:Had a great thing going, but my company went through a merger and the last month has been brutal.

I really think we bit off more than we can chew, and as a result my work life has sucked. I wish I was optimistic that it could get back to the good old days, but I see no end in sight to the bullshit. Been contemplating just quitting. I have money saved up but that won't last forever.  Life is short. What if I die tomorrow and my last day on earth was spent at a job that made me miserable?

I've updated the resume and started contact with a recruiter. Should I wait it out until I get a new job or just walk? Would love to hear what other swillsters have done in a similar situation.

Get fired. Get severance. Best of both worlds. Let me know if you need any advice
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-07-10, 22:15

steveschneider wrote:

I'm sure your bride to be would love your plan then....now sack it up and be the xhixk until the marriage contract and walk down the isle is signed.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-07-10, 22:18

Quit your job and dedicate yourself to message board posting. I think this place needs new mods or something.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-07-10, 22:19

steveschneider wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Yeah, I know you are right. I have the angel and the devil on my shoulder, one is telling me to stay the other is telling me to quit.

I was just hoping to hear an inspirational story of someone quitting a corporate job they hated.

Nope going on 11 years now. Suck it up pansy....that or get fired
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-07-10, 22:22

kingstonlake wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

That you'll never be the biggest tool on here despite all your efforts to the contrary?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-07-10, 22:24

Blanch32 wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Had a great thing going, but my company went through a merger and the last month has been brutal.

Get fired.  Get severance.  Best of both worlds.  Let me know if you need any advice
This post nearly made me spit my beer up. The last sentence in particular. 

Also if you are fired with cause (vs. laid off) I don't think can file for unemployment insurance.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-07-10, 22:29

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

Get fired.  Get severance.  Best of both worlds.  Let me know if you need any advice

Also if you are fired with cause (vs. laid off) I don't think can file for unemployment insurance.

OK don't do anything stupid, just become the nucky of your work place. Manage egos simply cannot take being challenged and poof, 1 to 6 months severance and unemployment afterward. Get another job and you banked. Of course chilling is cool too
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-10, 22:32

Blanch32 wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

OK don't do anything stupid, just become the nucky of your work place. Manage egos simply cannot take being challenged and poof, 1 to 6 months severance and unemployment afterward. Get another job and you banked. Of course chilling is cool too

How about this strategy to get let go, I try to unionize the place?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-07-10, 23:09

I would personally stay, but I'm a grad student who's literally sticking in a situation that makes me miserable because I'm having trouble finding a full-time job (aka, I'm a wuss).

It's a tough job market out there, but I'm sure it's easier for someone more established than someone more recently out of school. Maybe stay and find some ways to cope with the added misery/stress?

Regardless, like a brilliant song says, "Daylight is good at arriving at the right time", so I think whether you stay or go, things will get better (hopefully).
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-07-10, 23:13

Giving them 2 weeks?

Don't even give them the satisfaction. Just walk.

All kidding aside... I've done that once, but the situation I was in meant the bridges being burnt didn't matter. I'm also the type of person that let's emotions get in the way of making sound decisions at times.... if I feel I'm getting fucked in some way I have no problem trying to stick it to the other if I feel it's legit. It's not smart but it never bit me in the butt.

I'm a little bit older now and a lot more reserved so at this point I agree with the others and stick it out till you can find something else first. Especially in NY. Fuck that place (just NYC... upstate is cool).
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-07-10, 23:15

steveschneider wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

OK don't do anything stupid, just become the nucky of your work place.  Manage egos simply cannot take being challenged and poof, 1 to 6 months severance and unemployment afterward.  Get another job and you banked.  Of course chilling is cool too

How about this strategy to get let go, I try to unionize the place?

I tried that once... didn't work out very well. Though I did get unemployment for a few months... but it wasn't as fun as it sounded.

Feeling like a deadbeat does a number on your psyche.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-07-11, 01:19

HT wrote:I would personally stay, but I'm a grad student who's literally sticking in a situation that makes me miserable because I'm having trouble finding a full-time job (aka, I'm a wuss).

It's a tough job market out there, but I'm sure it's easier for someone more established than someone more recently out of school. Maybe stay and find some ways to cope with the added misery/stress?

Regardless, like a brilliant song says, "Daylight is good at arriving at the right time", so I think whether you stay or go, things will get better (hopefully).

OP: What is the byproduct of a misery/stress hybrid? Mistress. Keep your job and find a side piece. You're welcome. Do it before your wedding and youre sure to have sex the week after you get home from the honeymoon.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-07-11, 03:36

Blanch32 wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

That you'll never be the biggest tool on here despite all your efforts to the contrary?
Almost positive you don't understand what you typed.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2015-07-12, 11:02

Moe Ager, great Spartan, says just do it.  

https://twitter.com/moeager/status/619941506028142592/video/1
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-12, 15:29

SpartanInNH wrote:

Moe Ager, great Spartan, says just do it.  

https://twitter.com/moeager/status/619941506028142592/video/1

'free yo self, baby'

Seriously, thanks for that. I find that uplifting and I wish that dude nothing but the best.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-07-12, 19:40

kingstonlake wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

Almost positive you don't understand what you typed.

Sorry if that was too much for ya to comprehend
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-13, 09:05

xsanguine wrote:Giving them 2 weeks?

All kidding aside... I've done that once, but the situation I was in meant the bridges being burnt didn't matter. I'm also the type of person that let's emotions get in the way of making sound decisions at times.... if I feel I'm getting fucked in some way I have no problem trying to stick it to the other if I feel it's legit. It's not smart but it never bit me in the butt.

I'm a little bit older now and a lot more reserved so at this point I agree with the others and stick it out till you can find something else first. Especially in NY. Fuck that place (just NYC... upstate is cool).
I've never liked the 2 weeks. I think a one week notice is sufficient to wrap up some things, give notes, do whatever else you need to do. At one job the second week, HR wanted me to do exit interviews and crap. I didn't really care about helping them after I have already decided to leave, so what's the point of dragging this out?
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-07-13, 09:15

Giant Moose wrote:
xsanguine wrote:Giving them 2 weeks?

I've never liked the 2 weeks. I think a one week notice is sufficient to wrap up some things, give notes, do whatever else you need to do. At one job the second week, HR wanted me to do exit interviews and crap. I didn't really care about helping them after I have already decided to leave, so what's the point of dragging this out?
I wouldn't mind 2 weeks at a smaller business that is more family run, as your job might be a bit more critical. I agree at a large corporation though, they won't give me 2 weeks notification that they are going to get rid of me, just a phone call on a Friday afternoon to go up to HR. They don't even have the decency to do it in the morning, instead they want you to finish that work day and then they get rid of you.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2015-07-13, 09:29

don't quit until you get married and have someone to support you.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-07-13, 09:39

AMwood wrote:don't quit until you get married and have someone to support you.  

You don't need to get married to do that...food stamps.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down