Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Higher wages a surprising success for Seattle restaurant

+11
Dr. Strangelove
Blanch32
GRR Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
CheesySpartan
steveschneider
InTenSity
NigelUno
Other Teams Pursuing That
Giant Moose
15 posters

Go down

Higher wages a surprising success for Seattle restaurant Empty Higher wages a surprising success for Seattle restaurant

Post by Giant Moose Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 9:13

Menu prices are up 21 percent and you don't have to tip at Ivar's Salmon House on Seattle's Lake Union after the restaurant decided to institute the city's $15-an-hour minimum wage two years ahead of schedule.

It is staff, not diners, who feel the real difference, with wages as much as 60 percent higher than before. One waitress is saving for accounting classes and finding it easier to take weekend vacations, while another server is using the added pay to cover increased rent.

Seattle's law, adopted last year after a strong push from labor and grassroots activists, bumped the city's minimum wage to $11 beginning April 1, above Washington state's highest-in-the-nation $9.47. Scheduled increases that depend on business size and benefits will bring the minimum to $15 within four years for large businesses and seven years for smaller ones.

As Washington, D.C., and other cities consider following Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles in phasing in a $15-an-hour minimum wage, Ivar's approach, adopted in April, offers lessons in how some businesses might adapt. Ivar's Seafood Restaurants President Bob Donegan decided to raise prices, tell customers that they don't need to tip, and parcel the added revenue among the hourly staff.

For some of the restaurant's lesser paid workers - including bussers and dishwashers - that's meant as much as 60 percent more. Revenue has soared, supportive customers are leaving additional tips even though they don't need to, and servers and bartenders are on pace to increase their annual pay by thousands, with wages for a few of the best compensated approaching $80,000 a year.

Link: http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/31/higher-wages-a-surprising-success-for-seattle-restaurant.html

Finally, restaurants are getting it. Kudos to them for making their employees' lives way better by paying them fair wages. I hope this finally leads to the end of the silly tipping expectations this country has.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Higher wages a surprising success for Seattle restaurant Empty Re: Higher wages a surprising success for Seattle restaurant

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 9:24

+1s all around, baby.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Higher wages a surprising success for Seattle restaurant Empty Re: Higher wages a surprising success for Seattle restaurant

Post by NigelUno Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 9:26

How is it successful for the restaurant?

Menu prices are up 21%. Revenue is up 20%.

I don't think the article said how much expenses were up (other than saying that some wages were up as much as 60%). Seems like you would have to factor that in?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 9:27

For 80k a year, I'd go back to waiting tables.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 9:29

Watched a PBS News Hour episdoe where the CEO of a company basically gave everyones salaries a boost at their call center and it made a huge difference in morale and quality of work. He was touting the initiative as a big success.

Go figure!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 9:30

InTenSity wrote:For 80k a year, I'd go back to waiting tables.

You could probably earn that in Miami, either waiting on tables or bar tending. I have known some bar tenders here in NYC that rake it in.

They hate it though, it seems like a brutal life style.

Last edited by steveschneider on Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 9:34; edited 1 time in total
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 9:31

So tipping is how it is in Europe because the workers are actually getting paid a decent wage?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 9:48

steveschneider wrote:

You could probably earn that in Miami, either waiting on tables or bar tending. I have known some bar tenders here in NYC that rake it in.

They hate it though, it seems like a brutal life style.
Miami is a little different. For the high end jobs, you need connections, I'm assuming you do. I don't know Spanish and I'm not a model. I was always a bit fearful of serving down here because typically I'm not sure how Cubans tip. I just always got the impression that no matter how well someone did, they were only going to get 15%. Some of the people I've gone to dinner with down here, I've looked at the tip after a $200 meal, stayed behind and thrown some more cash in, because they gave them $20.
Now, on the flip side, I don't go out much down here because it is so expensive. The food isn't that much more spectacular, so did they really earn a $50 tip for doing the same amount of work as someone who works somewhere it is 1/2 price. All that being said, once I lose the job where I'm at, I'll probably go wait tables somewhere until I get another job.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 10:18

Keep in mind, you would most likely have to work 70-80 hours/week to make that.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 10:24

My wife's cousin makes near that at a restaurant in Phoenix. He's happy as hell.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 10:43

DWags wrote:

My wife's cousin makes near that at a restaurant in Phoenix. He's happy as hell.

I mean shit, why not?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 10:45

CheesySpartan wrote:

I'd say closer to 50-60 hours. Honestly, it depends on where you work. If you can hit $2000 in sales, you should walk away with about $350-$400 in cash x 5 days a week is $1750/wk x 52 puts you near $91k. You figure about 10-15% of that is cash, so you claim around $80k on your taxes. That's pretty aggressive, but doable. The tough thing would be no paid vacations, very little healthcare and almost no benefits. Stress levels are high, but if its guaranteed, I'd go back.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 10:47

here's the problem though - we can't have service workers thinking they're as good as the rest of us. Next thing you know, they'll be wanting to move in next door to us and stuff like that.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 10:49

Robert J Sakimano wrote:here's the problem though - we can't have service workers thinking they're as good as the rest of us. Next thing you know, they'll be wanting to move in next door to us and stuff like that.

Don't worry, when I was waiting tables, I did a lot of drugs and lived in rat infested apartments.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 10:50

Robert J Sakimano wrote:here's the problem though - we can't have service workers thinking they're as good as the rest of us. Next thing you know, they'll be wanting to move in next door to us and stuff like that.

That's OK. I'll only help them cut their tree branches if they are 30 or younger. If they're older than 30, they are going to have to cut those tree branches themselves.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 10:58

InTenSity wrote:

Don't worry, when I was waiting tables, I did a lot of drugs and lived in rat infested apartments.

But now with the increase in wages you could do drugs and live in a nice place near Bob...
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 11:01

InTenSity wrote:
CheesySpartan wrote:

I'd say closer to 50-60 hours. Honestly, it depends on where you work. If you can hit $2000 in sales, you should walk away with about $350-$400 in cash x 5 days a week is $1750/wk x 52 puts you near $91k. You figure about 10-15% of that is cash, so you claim around $80k on your taxes. That's pretty aggressive, but doable. The tough thing would be no paid vacations, very little healthcare and almost no benefits. Stress levels are high, but if its guaranteed, I'd go back.

You are assuming people will still tip 10-15% on top of paying 20% more for the same product all while the business suggests you don't have to tip?  I tip 20% so the increase in price of food is offset by not having to tip. I'm not sure I'm going to pay an additional 10-15% on top of that for the same food and service.

Last edited by CheesySpartan on Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 11:06; edited 1 time in total
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 11:05

my wife is a much better tipper than I am. Not that I'm cheap - she just takes it to extreme levels sometimes.

Which isn't a bad thing, by the way. I just felt like saying it.

okay - continue.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 11:10

CheesySpartan wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

You are assuming people will still tip 10-15% on top of paying 20% more for the same product all while the business suggests you don't have to tip? Not sure that will happen.
No. I'm sorry, I was more thinking of someone working a high-end restaurant and what it would take to get to $90k a year. You'd need to do about $2k in sales a day, which is very tough. I think the most I've done is $1800 or so. At $15/hr working roughly 45 hours a week, you'd only make about $42k a year. I don't think I'd chose to work at that restaurant.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 11:58

@$15/hr for waiters the tip scale would probably slide back to 10% of decades ago for many places that aren't expense account type ie Ruth Criss/Mortons etc eateries.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 20:47

NigelUno wrote:How is it successful for the restaurant?

Menu prices are up 21%. Revenue is up 20%.

I don't think the article said how much expenses were up (other than saying that some wages were up as much as 60%). Seems like you would have to factor that in?

Solid post nigel. You good at math.

Assuming a 20% margin sales need to be up 50% to offset the added costs if my drunk math is right. Have at it if I'm wrong
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 21:43

I'll see your one restaurant doing OK and raise you a number that closed.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/15-minimum-wage-looms-seattle-restaurants-close-doors/#zwUokYdkllS4uCpp.97
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 22:11

Expect service to eventually deteriorate if higher wages and prices become the norm.

And, think of poor Giant Moose when he enters a restaurant with high prices and gets a server that is either male and/or over 40. He won't have any way to stiff them : (
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 22:13

The Pantry wrote:Expect service to eventually deteriorate if higher wages and prices become the norm.

And, think of poor Giant Moose when he enters a restaurant with high prices and gets a server that is either male and/or over 40. He won't have any way to stiff them : (
And that guy won't give a shit, knowing he's making the same as the 18 year old coed.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 22:27

That tipping philosophy thing is one of the most fucked up things I've ever heard.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Fri 31 Jul 2015 - 22:44

restaurants usually have a budget breakdown of about 36 percent for labor, 30 percent for food costs, and 30 percent to cover other operational costs. That leaves 4 percent for a profit margin. When labor costs shoot up to say 42 percent, something has to give.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Sat 1 Aug 2015 - 9:58

This is the beginning of unprecedented inflation in our economy.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Sat 1 Aug 2015 - 10:02

Also, now that some companies are being forced to pay $15 minimum, they are cutting health care, retirement plans, etc. Unintended consequences.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Sat 1 Aug 2015 - 10:09

Motown Spartan wrote:Also, now that some companies are being forced to pay $15 minimum, they are cutting health care, retirement plans, etc. Unintended consequences.

They did this at Sea-Tac airport last year. It fucked up a lot of people

http://www.nwasianweekly.com/2014/05/blog-seatac-tells-us-15-minimum-wage/

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat 1 Aug 2015 - 10:27

Motown Spartan wrote:This is the beginning of unprecedented inflation in our economy.
No it isn't.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down