Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

B10 Basketball Tournament moving to...

+2
InTenSity
Bizarro Fletch
6 posters

Go down

B10 Basketball Tournament moving to... Empty B10 Basketball Tournament moving to...

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-05-06, 09:26

Huh?

Basketball   B10 Basketball Tournament moving to... 2130724145 

http://www.freep.com/article/20140505/SPORTS08/305050156/big-ten-tournament-dc
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

B10 Basketball Tournament moving to... Empty Re: B10 Basketball Tournament moving to...

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-05-06, 09:52

gHost Spartan wrote:This shit is getting out if control

Don't you get it, Ghost? By having the BTT in a half empty arena out East we'll totally draw in all of those TV viewers in NYC, Boston and DC and the B10 will totally own the SEC!

Er, something like that... Neutral 
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

B10 Basketball Tournament moving to... Empty Re: B10 Basketball Tournament moving to...

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-05-06, 09:57

gHost Spartan wrote:Before I opened the thread I expected to see Chicago again, which makes sense. Personally, I think the emphasis should be on the existing states. Michigan has two B1G schools, why not Ford Field?

To be fair, I like to see him saying there will be more of a rotation after 2017 so places like the Palace (or maybe the new Red Wings arena?) could be in contention, but this is all but admitting TV is all that matters because no way this thing sells out in DC, Jersey, Philly, etc.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-05-06, 09:58

So, Indy knows how to host a sporting event. It is a popular place to go and centralized for all teams. When the hell is Delaney going to step down? His quest for the almighty $$ is going to end up doing more damage than good. Short term profits in exchange for long term problems. Way to alienate, Minny, Wisky, Neb and Iowa. Is the end game to get 20 schools in the B1G and then call the 2 division the B1G and the BEast?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-05-06, 09:59

That's how you make those big dollars that no other conference will have. An occasional BTT in Washington DC or NYC doesn't sound so bad, the B1G has tons of alumni in both cities, and plenty of people who would make the trip just for the hell of it.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-06, 09:59

I am beginning to think Delaney is in over his head. This Rutgers/Maryland thing is an impending debacle. If he wanted to go national with the brand he should have gone hard after UT. No one out East gives a rip about college sports.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-05-06, 10:00

InTenSity wrote:So, Indy knows how to host a sporting event. It is a popular place to go and centralized for all teams. When the hell is Delaney going to step down? His quest for the almighty $$ is going to end up doing more damage than good. Short term profits in exchange for long term problems. Way to alienate, Minny, Wisky, Neb and Iowa. Is the end game to get 20 schools in the B1G and then call the 2 division the B1G and the BEast?

Unfortunately, Delaney is just acting on direction from the presidents, and all they seem to care about is revenue. Some consultants have apparently convinced them all that the east coast is the goldmine.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-05-06, 10:02

Bizarro Fletch wrote:
To be fair, I like to see him saying there will be more of a rotation after 2017 so places like the Palace (or maybe the new Red Wings arena?) could be in contention, but this is all but admitting TV is all that matters because no way this thing sells out in DC, Jersey, Philly, etc.

Maybe if Penn State didn't suck so bad. Nah... probably not.

Rotate would make the most sense. And if it's all about the TV ratings, why not have it in a high school gym. At least there would be empty seats all over the place.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-06, 10:02

Indy is literally the perfect venue for the BTT (and BTCG) unless and until the conference begins to take roots elsewhere in the country.

It's within reasonable travel distance for all schools, it's got a very nice walkable downtown with great facilities and plenty of hotel space. And when the B1G is there, it is the only show in town. It does not get lost in the shuffle like it does in Chicago, or how it would in NYC or DC. Just silly.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-05-06, 10:09

I don't want to drop too much bad news on you guys all at once, but Rutgers and Maryland will also be hosting games on their campuses. In fact, half the B1G games they play will be home games.

We can criticize chasing the dollar, but we all love what it's buying us on campus (and so do recruits). Delany's moves, including the BTN, have guaranteed that B1G schools will always have the money to field a wide range of athletic teams, and will never have to rely on general fund money to do so.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-05-06, 10:19

Rodeo Burger wrote:I don't want to drop too much bad news on you guys all at once, but Rutgers and Maryland will also be hosting games on their campuses.  In fact, half the B1G games they play will be home games.

We can criticize chasing the dollar, but we all love what it's buying us on campus (and so do recruits).  Delany's moves, including the BTN, have guaranteed that B1G schools will always have the money to field a wide range of athletic teams, and will never have to rely on general fund money to do so.

Can it actually be said that dollars and recruiting benefits are already being reaped from the MD/Rutgers deal? Not challenging you, I really don't know the answer to that question. Certainly the BTN has been a windfall for the conference, but I'm still unconvinced of the economics of the east coast expansion. Surely the consultants who get paid handsomely to research this sort of stuff have access to more information than me, but I would love to hear how holding the BTT in a half empty arena in DC will benefit MSU. Let me guess, the mythical "East coast exposure?"
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-05-06, 10:36

Bizarro Fletch wrote:

Can it actually be said that dollars and recruiting benefits are already being reaped from the MD/Rutgers deal?  Not challenging you, I really don't know the answer to that question.  Certainly the BTN has been a windfall for the conference, but I'm still unconvinced of the economics of the east coast expansion.  Surely the consultants who get paid handsomely to research this sort of stuff have access to more information than me, but I would love to hear how holding the BTT in a half empty arena in DC will benefit MSU.  Let me guess, the mythical "East coast exposure?"

Dennis Dodds at CBS wrote an article a couple weeks ago on the money topic. From the research he did, he expects every B1G school to be collecting at least $44 million a year by the 2017/18 season (well, every team that is vested, Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers get a percentage based on tenure and how much they've helped to increase the TV contracts). To date, we've exceeded every projection made.

The BTT in Indy has empty seats all over the place for most of the games too, so I don't understand that argument. If DC hosts it every 5 or 6 years, they'll do at least as well as Indy usually does. And Indy will do better when people know that it won't be there every year.

I don't follow recruiting enough to know what has been impacted there. But Maryland will be hosting us for a night game. We host Rutgers, and I'm sure our coaches will remind any New Jersey recruit that they better be in town for the game to see Shilique Calhoun, because that All American player from NJ is going to be entering the NFL draft early next year. It's a great time to be at the top of the league.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2014-05-06, 11:24

Rodeo Burger wrote:That's how you make those big dollars that no other conference will have.   An occasional BTT in Washington DC or NYC doesn't sound so bad, the B1G has tons of alumni in both cities, and plenty of people who would make the trip just for the hell of it.

Guess where tB1G has more alumni???
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down