Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why can't I just be a Green Bay fan?

+10
DWags
Dr. Strangelove
Code_Warrior
tGreenWay
tig ol bitties
GRR Spartan
Travis of the Cosmos
steveschneider
tTy
Turtleneck
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why can't I just be a Green Bay fan? Empty Why can't I just be a Green Bay fan?

Post by tTy 2015-09-28, 23:43

Why can't I just be a Green Bay fan? 2599972566

I know WBH had a total spaz out one night and took all his lions gear out in his backyard and torched that shit. I prolly have e-mailed pics as PROOF somewhere if I cared enough to dig them up. Green Bay has been so fucking blessed the last two plus decades I can't even hardly stand it. They have had two fucking QB's who have been nearly unbeatable, home or away, and I am stuck here Why can't I just be a Green Bay fan? 1837840279 for the fucking Lions to get a player that I don't look at and just shake my fucking head.

I've always been die hard Sparty football, Detroit Lions fan.... Admittedly I'm a fair weather DRW and Tigers fan, and to an even greater fairer weather extent, Pistons fan, but I've always been a Michigan Home Teams Guy. I might be getting to my breaking point, finally, on the Lions. Fucking Christ they are perpetually terrible. All I have to do is just jump ship and go out and get a used Jerel Worthy jersey off of ebay for 8 bucks (plus 14.99 shipping), and I'm in. I just can't pull the trigger. Can anyone talk me into it?

Fuck!
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Why can't I just be a Green Bay fan? Empty Re: Why can't I just be a Green Bay fan?

Post by Turtleneck 2015-09-28, 23:46

Do you root for TC Central or West?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Why can't I just be a Green Bay fan? Empty Re: Why can't I just be a Green Bay fan?

Post by tTy 2015-09-28, 23:49

Turtleneck wrote:Do you root for TC Central or West?

Both, plus St. Franny. I didn't grow up here, I have no allegiances yet. My kids are still 5 years old, but they will likely go to West if we stay put, so I will eventually be a Westie.

How does this help me with my Lions/Green Bay dilemma?
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-09-28, 23:50

My kid is.  

On this 18th birthday he put himself on their season ticket list.  He's still 79,000 away.

Its not a painless place for fans but you tyically feel the pain in the playoffs.

Last year it was the blown onside kick followed by Russell Wilson magic.

Just say 4th and 26 to any Packer fan and they can tell you where they were in January '04 when the Packer had a 17-14 lead in 4th quarter with 1:12 left and Philly was out of time outs.  The Eagles got a first down, kicked a FG to tie and the Packers lost the Playoff game.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-09-28, 23:57

tTy wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Do you root for TC Central or West?

Both, plus St. Franny.  I didn't grow up here, I have no allegiances yet.  My kids are still 5 years old, but they will likely go to West if we stay put, so I will eventually be a Westie.

How does this help me with my Lions/Green Bay dilemma?

It doesn't help, but that is not what I want to talk about.

TCC has the original black and gold colors and Trojan name. Back in the 70s and 80s, TC was tough. Three state titles. Since the split neither has done much. Anyway, I guess I am partial to TCC even though I have never lived there (but have been to games there. My dad took me to see TC v Brother Rice at Thirlby Field when I was a kid).

Ok, let's talk about you now.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-09-29, 00:05

Community owned team. They are hard to hate.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-09-29, 00:06

It's hard to be a fan of a team in that way. Youre totally surrounded by Lions stuff where you're at, so it's easy to root for that team, even though they suck. Caring about another team is tough because you just don't see them where ever you go.

It's kind of like when I decided to take up premier league soccer (I'm sure that's not your jam but it's a good comparison.) for years I tried to figure out which team I actually cared about and would root for. Never could. Eventually there was a good enough catalyst for me to actually pick a team and hook onto them. To the point where that reason is now gone, but the fandom has stuck. Took a long time to get to that point though.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-09-29, 00:08

steveschneider wrote:Community owned team. They are hard to hate.

Yeah. Players and coaches are hard to hate as well. Not like those NE clowns. Rodgers is just phenomenal.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-09-29, 00:09

The Lion's 0-3 start it means cheaper Christmas gifts for your younger siblings, nieces and nephews since most of the Lions gear will be on the sale racks by Thanksgiving.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-09-29, 00:11

Turtleneck wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Community owned team. They are hard to hate.

Yeah. Players and coaches are hard to hate as well. Not like those NE clowns. Rodgers is just phenomenal.

I agree. Huh, maybe i will just become a packer fan. It would be a good FU to the Lions.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2015-09-29, 00:15

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:It's hard to be a fan of a team in that way. Youre totally surrounded by Lions stuff where you're at, so it's easy to root for that team, even though they suck. Caring about another team is tough because you just don't see them where ever you go.

It's kind of like when I decided to take up premier league soccer (I'm sure that's not your jam but it's a good comparison.) for years I tried to figure out which team I actually cared about and would root for. Never could. Eventually there was a good enough catalyst for me to actually pick a team and hook onto them. To the point where that reason is now gone, but the fandom has stuck. Took a long time to get to that point though.

Bro, I'm a big kickball fan, but only for big tournaments and qualifiers (gold cup, world cup, etc). If there was a Detroit or Michigan MLS team, I'd be all over it. I've tried to get into the Chicago Fire and other MLS teams, but they aren't a fucking home team to me, so meh. One of the kids from TC got drafted into the MLS and I tried to follow him for a bit, but quickly lost interest (I think he went west coast.... Can't even remember his name now either). I used to coach a traveling girls kickball team when I lived in Port Huron. Prolly did that for 6-8 years while I was there. #NoPedo, BTW, I just like kickball and wanted to coach and didn't have any kids of my own to coach so I volunteered my time. I'm actually still in touch with a couple of the gals I coached. Great experience. I've also always wanted to get into the euro leagues and shit, but I don't know jack fucking squat about any of that shit because 'Merica. I don't have the time or energy anymore to look it all up either (kids, wife, work, tons of other bullshit #Lyfe).

You've gotten me off topic, dammit.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2015-09-29, 00:17

steveschneider wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I agree. Huh, maybe i will just become a packer fan. It would be a good FU to the Lions.

This will sound stupid as fuck, but I'm almost a little afraid of selling low and buying high. What if I foresake my lions this year and flip to become a Packer Backin Cheese Noggin, and then all the sudden they end up with 28 Eric Hipples in a row and the Lions land Connor Cook and start winning every single game they play, including regular season AND playoff games (not just talking pre-season here guys... real deal shit..... mkay?)

I mean, it could happen, right?
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-09-29, 00:19

tTy wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:It's hard to be a fan of a team in that way. Youre totally surrounded by Lions stuff where you're at, so it's easy to root for that team, even though they suck. Caring about another team is tough because you just don't see them where ever you go.

Bro, I'm a big kickball fan, but only for big tournaments and qualifiers (gold cup, world cup, etc). If there was a Detroit or Michigan MLS team, I'd be all over it. I've tried to get into the Chicago Fire and other MLS teams, but they aren't a fucking home team to me, so meh. One of the kids from TC got drafted into the MLS and I tried to follow him for a bit, but quickly lost interest (I think he went west coast.... Can't even remember his name now either). I used to coach a traveling girls kickball team when I lived in Port Huron. Prolly did that for 6-8 years while I was there. #NoPedo, BTW, I just like kickball and wanted to coach and didn't have any kids of my own to coach so I volunteered my time. I'm actually still in touch with a couple of the gals I coached. Great experience. I've also always wanted to get into the euro leagues and shit, but I don't know jack fucking squat about any of that shit because 'Merica. I don't have the time or energy anymore to look it all up either (kids, wife, work, tons of other bullshit #Lyfe).

You've gotten me off topic, dammit.

Oh hey. No I feel you about MLS. If there was a Detroit team I'd watch, but I can't force myself to care about some random team.

As far as the euro league stuff- it wasn't really a matter of looking it up so much as looking at it as a thing to do on Saturday and Sunday mornings before football since im awake anyway and GameDay sucks. You sorta pick it up. Kids might make that not as easy as it is for me though.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-09-29, 00:20

Just be a Lions fan. Your misery always impresses an audience.

You're at a party and some guys say they are Giants or Jets fans. Nobody cares. Somebody says they are a Bills fan and a few people comment about winters in Buffalo. Somebody announces they like the Patriots and it only confirms what the rest of the party suspected....a complete douche. Finally, you say you're a Lions fan and then the hottest girl at the party asks if you want to have sex because she just wants to cheer you up. This has happened to me hundreds of times.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2015-09-29, 00:23

Turtleneck wrote:Just be a Lions fan. Your misery always impresses an audience.

You're at a party and some guys say they are Giants or Jets fans. Nobody cares. Somebody says they are a Bills fan and a few people comment about winters in Buffalo. Somebody announces they like the Patriots and it only confirms what the rest of the party suspected....a complete douche. Finally, you say you're a Lions fan and then the hottest girl at the party asks if you want to have sex because she just wants to cheer you up. This has happened to me hundreds of times.

So you are trying to talk me into staying a lions fan. I might be bumping you up my "people to kill" list from 3rd.... Not sure if you are going to be #1 yet or not though. Stand by..... Also, where do you live again?
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-09-29, 00:23

tTy wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

This will sound stupid as fuck, but I'm almost a little afraid of selling low and buying high. What if I foresake my lions this year and flip to become a Packer Backin Cheese Noggin, and then all the sudden they end up with 28 Eric Hipples in a row and the Lions land Connor Cook and start winning every single game they play, including regular season AND playoff games (not just talking pre-season here guys... real deal shit..... mkay?)

I know what you mean. I posted in a different thread that I was thinking of becoming a giants fan. I've lived here 15 years I feel entitled to pick up a ny team. If I could do it I would definitely buying in low and it would feel good in a few years when the giants are finally better.

There's a lot of dip shits out there that have hopped on the packers band wagon. They are a likeable team though. Favre was a fucking legend and not afraid to send a dick pick.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-09-29, 00:26

steveschneider wrote:
tTy wrote:

I know what you mean. I posted in a different thread that I was thinking of becoming a giants fan. I've lived here 15 years I feel entitled to pick up a ny team. If I could do it I would definitely buying in low and it would feel good in a few years when the giants are finally better.

There's a lot of dip shits out there that have hopped on the packers band wagon. They are a likeable team though. Favre was a fucking legend and not afraid to send a dick pick.

Fandom doesn't have to be a monogamous thing you know. As long as fucking Obama doesn't get his Kenyan hands on it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2015-09-29, 00:30

steveschneider wrote:
tTy wrote:

I work with a dude who is a Duke basketball fan, a UM football fan and never went to grade 13 if you get my drift. I just don't want to be "that guy".... Bandwagon fans fucking piss me off, and, yeah, I realize I only GAF about the Tigers, Pistons and DRW when they are in the hunt, but at least I've never rooted for the Avalanche, Lakers, Celtics, Yankees, Red Sawx and fucking Golden State Warriors.... fuck! Wait!!! GOD DAMN YOU DRAYMOND GREEN!!!!!

Bottom line = I know deep down, if I bail on the Lions and start tooting for some other luvable team, I'm not really gonna be in it. I just am not wired that way, and it suck, cuz #Lions.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2015-09-29, 00:31

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Fandom doesn't have to be a monogamous thing you know. As long as fucking Obama doesn't get his Kenyan hands on it.

If Obama had his way, the Lions would just get all of the Lombardi Trophies from all the 1%er NFL teams and I'd be happy as fuck.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-09-29, 00:34

tTy wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I work with a dude who is a Duke basketball fan, a UM football fan and never went to grade 13 if you get my drift. I just don't want to be "that guy".... Bandwagon fans fucking piss me off, and, yeah, I realize I only GAF about the Tigers, Pistons and DRW when they are in the hunt, but at least I've never rooted for the Avalanche, Lakers, Celtics, Yankees, Red Sawx and fucking Golden State Warriors.... fuck! Wait!!! GOD DAMN YOU DRAYMOND GREEN!!!!!

Bottom line = I know deep down, if I bail on the Lions and start tooting for some other luvable team, I'm not really gonna be in it. I just am not wired that way, and it suck, cuz #Lions.
try picking a non Lions threatening team in the afc to be your second team. That might help. What about the Bengals? Msu connection, unlikely to cause a serious conflict with your primary team, etc.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2015-09-29, 00:36

Well, I can tell I'm not going to be able to settle this shit tonight so I'm just going to start cracking beers, turn on The Voice that I DVR'ed earlier, and root for Blake to steal some high voiced boy who looks like a 260 pound Blackie Lawless from that gaywad Adam in a four chair turn.

Yes, I still love tVoice. My apologies.

#HomeTeam
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2015-09-29, 00:37

tTy wrote:

try picking a non Lions threatening team in the afc to be your second team. That might help. What about the Bengals? Msu connection, unlikely to cause a serious conflict with your primary team, etc.

I've tried that. HATE the steelers... then they drafted Bell. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2015-09-29, 00:39

tTy wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote: try picking a non Lions threatening team in the afc to be your second team. That might help. What about the Bengals? Msu connection, unlikely to cause a serious conflict with your primary team, etc.

I've tried that. HATE the steelers... then they drafted Bell. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, this just sparked a memory... I used to LOVE the JETS! Back when they had Mark Gastenau (sp?). You're going to have to google that crazy mofo. Guessing way beyond your years.

Then, they turned into the lions and have basically stayed there forever except for one or two lucky ass years.

Maybe it's me.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-09-29, 00:40

tTy wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote: try picking a non Lions threatening team in the afc to be your second team. That might help. What about the Bengals? Msu connection, unlikely to cause a serious conflict with your primary team, etc.

well that's why I didn't say the Steelers. Duh.

You can't pick a second team that's already successful. It has to be a young up and comer to avoid bandwagonism
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tig ol bitties 2015-09-29, 00:43

You can. It is pro sports. Rooting for the lions because you happened to grow up in the state were they play is odd.
tig ol bitties
tig ol bitties
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-09-29, 00:48

tig ol bitties wrote:You can. It is pro sports. Rooting for the lions because you happened to grow up in the state were they play is odd.

In a way, a very contrarian way, that's just as valid as rooting for the school you attended 20+ years ago.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-09-29, 01:09

Just because I want a new team to cheer for does t mean I'm jumping on the GB bandwagon. Fuck those cheeseheads. I'd rather cheer for the Bears.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-09-29, 05:40

tTy wrote:Why can't I just be a Green Bay fan? 2599972566

I know WBH had a total spaz out one night and took all his lions gear out in his backyard and torched that shit. I prolly have e-mailed pics as PROOF somewhere if I cared enough to dig them up. Green Bay has been so fucking blessed the last two plus decades I can't even hardly stand it. They have had two fucking QB's who have been nearly unbeatable, home or away, and I am stuck here Why can't I just be a Green Bay fan? 1837840279 for the fucking Lions to get a player that I don't look at and just shake my fucking head.

I've always been die hard Sparty football, Detroit Lions fan.... Admittedly I'm a fair weather DRW and Tigers fan, and to an even greater fairer weather extent, Pistons fan, but I've always been a Michigan Home Teams Guy. I might be getting to my breaking point, finally, on the Lions. Fucking Christ they are perpetually terrible. All I have to do is just jump ship and go out and get a used Jerel Worthy jersey off of ebay for 8 bucks (plus 14.99 shipping), and I'm in. I just can't pull the trigger. Can anyone talk me into it?

Fuck!
No. Lion's fans are uniquely loyal so just give it up. I tried getting into the Bengals when I lived in Cincinnati for 8 years in the early 90s, but I just never cared about them like I did the Lions. The best thing you can be with the Lions is a fair weather fan. There ain't no fucking prize given to the most loyal fans when a team finally wins that elusive championship. No fucking parades are held in their honor. When you've suffered with a team as a loyal fan for 40+ years before finally giving up on caring, then you earn the right to step back on that fucking bandwagon any time you want. So stop caring and worry about them again when they win a playoff game fergodsakes.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-09-29, 06:42

I'm so glad my dad was a Steelers fan. Of course it didn't hurt that they were winning Super Bowls all the time when I was kid. My earliest football memory is Super Bowl X. I'm old.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-09-29, 06:43

I'm a packer fan. The 80's sucked
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-09-29, 06:55

tig ol bitties wrote:You can. It is pro sports. Rooting for the lions because you happened to grow up in the state were they play is odd.

lol! Why can't I just be a Green Bay fan? 1790780388 Why can't I just be a Green Bay fan? 2745783546

You almost got me.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-09-29, 08:04

tTy wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Just be a Lions fan. Your misery always impresses an audience.

So you are trying to talk me into staying a lions fan. I might be bumping you up my "people to kill" list from 3rd.... Not sure if you are going to be #1 yet or not though. Stand by..... Also, where do you live again?

Why am I telling a guy who has me on his kill list where I live? I am no falling for that.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-09-29, 08:24

Because being a Packer fan seems incredibly boring and unsatisfying. If you want to root for a perpetual winner, then sure, go for it. But at least with lots of the other franchises, when they win, it's so much sweeter because it's not as often.

Come join the Bills bandwagon. It's slightly better than being a Lions fan.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-29, 08:29

In a way, a very contrarian way, that's just as valid as rooting for the school you attended 20+ years ago.
glad to hear you say this - I've always thought it odd to pull for a team just because you happened to go to school there.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-09-29, 08:33

Ty, if I can call you that. I only have one way to make all the Fin's fans around me feel better. I tell them I'm a Lions fan. I don't care that much about pro football anymore, and I really stopped following the Lions a few years ago, but I'd pay attention to what is going on. I've found it much more enjoyable to try to follow Spartans in the league and see how they do. I went to the Miami/Buffalo game this weekend. To me it was just kind of odd. There are some people who just care way way too much about things that are out of their control. There was almost a fight in the stands, people dressed up and lots of jerseys. After the game we went to a small bar by my house, and the few people that were still in there just bitched. I've tried to be a fins fan, but I really just don't care how they do, although I do want to see them do well.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-29, 08:54

InTenSity wrote:Ty, if I can call you that. I only have one way to make all the Fin's fans around me feel better. I tell them I'm a Lions fan. I don't care that much about pro football anymore, and I really stopped following the Lions a few years ago, but I'd pay attention to what is going on. I've found it much more enjoyable to try to follow Spartans in the league and see how they do. I went to the Miami/Buffalo game this weekend. To me it was just kind of odd. There are some people who just care way way too much about things that are out of their control. There was almost a fight in the stands, people dressed up and lots of jerseys. After the game we went to a small bar by my house, and the few people that were still in there just bitched. I've tried to be a fins fan, but I really just don't care how they do, although I do want to see them do well.
are you sure you weren't at tRCMB tailgate/Living With Diabetes support group meeting?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-09-29, 08:56

are you sure you weren't at tRCMB tailgate/Living With Diabetes support group meeting?
They made MSU fans look tame, and yes I even mean the mexican wrassler and spearit guy.
WTF wears an ape costume when its 89 and 90% humidity?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-09-29, 09:04

HT wrote:Because being a Packer fan seems incredibly boring and unsatisfying. If you want to root for a perpetual winner, then sure, go for it. But at least with lots of the other franchises, when they win, it's so much sweeter because it's not as often.

HT wrote:Because being a Packer fan seems incredibly boring and unsatisfying. If you want to root for a perpetual winner, then sure, go for it. But at least with lots of the other franchises, when they win, it's so much sweeter because it's not as often.

I have Bills season tickets. I do not own a single piece of Bills gear.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-09-29, 09:06

Turtleneck wrote:

I have Bills season tickets. I do not own a single piece of Bills gear.

My only Bills gear is a "One Buffalo" t-shirt that the Pegulas handed out for their first game as owners. I have never purchased any Bills gear.

Also, for some reason I thought you lived farther away from Buffalo than me. Bills games are always a pretty good time.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-09-29, 09:13

I probably am farther away. It's about one hour and 45 minutes with traffic. I go right up 20A to Ralph Wilson.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next