Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another really good Dantonio - Izzo - Hollis story.

+3
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
Giant Moose
7 posters

Go down

Another really good Dantonio - Izzo - Hollis story. Empty Another really good Dantonio - Izzo - Hollis story.

Post by Guest 2015-11-19, 12:50

The unique relationship between Michigan State's Mark Dantonio and Tom Izzo

It's a Monday morning in East Lansing and Mark Dantonio is in his office poring over the film of his team's first and only loss to date in 2015. The could-haves and should-haves have chased sleep away for most of the past 36 hours since Michigan State's undefeated season was felled by a last-minute touchdown at Nebraska.

Losses sting for longer, he admits, now that they've become less frequent. The controversial final score is only one in a long list of plays that will linger in Dantonio's head for the next -- How long? -- weeks, months, maybe years?

Sympathy is easy here. The same chagrined scowl and fatigue-ringed eyes that Dantonio wore on the sideline in the final seconds in Lincoln reappear whenever he reviews the defeat. Empathy is much harder. The average working stiff can't relate to spending a decade building something, then turning it over to a group of 18-to-22-year olds and a handful of part-time officials on a weekly basis to determine if the world will remember you as a hero or a bum.

There's maybe one man within a 50-mile radius of where Dantonio sits that can say with a straight face, "I know how you feel, partner." And here's that man now, stopping by the office to say just that.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Another really good Dantonio - Izzo - Hollis story. Empty Re: Another really good Dantonio - Izzo - Hollis story.

Post by Giant Moose 2015-11-19, 12:53

Don't tell anyone, but Hollis is working on concurrent football and basketball games against USC in Greece. That's not the crazy part, though. Dantonio is going to coach the hoops team and Izzo is going to coach the football team.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Another really good Dantonio - Izzo - Hollis story. Empty Re: Another really good Dantonio - Izzo - Hollis story.

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-11-19, 12:58

Giant Moose wrote:Don't tell anyone, but Hollis is working on concurrent football and basketball games against USC in Greece. That's not the crazy part, though. Dantonio is going to coach the hoops team and Izzo is going to coach the football team.
I still say that Hollis won't truly be the greatest Athletic Director in the history of carbon-based life forms until he arranges a basketball game to be played on the stomach of George Perles.

Make. It. Happen.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-11-19, 13:03

We have the best athletic program in the country, right? Is that even debatable?

By the way, I'm not asking you, Bob.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-11-19, 13:05

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:We have the best athletic program in the country, right?
Definitely. Even players who don't play for us bow down and kiss our logo when they play us.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-11-19, 13:08

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:We have the best athletic program in the country, right? Is that even debatable?

Its debatable. Depending on where UNC ends up, they could have the #1 Bball and a top ten football team.
If you're talking about longer term though, it would be tough to find another school as consistent as MSU has been the last 5 years in both sports. Whisky could be close in the last 5 years, but a lot of turnover in Fball. OSU has been consistent. In the SEC they might argue that baseball is more important than bball, so you'd have some arguments there as well.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-11-19, 13:08

Giant Moose wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:We have the best athletic program in the country, right?
Definitely. Even players who don't play for us bow down and kiss our logo when they play us.

OK, that was a good one.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-11-19, 13:09

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:We have the best athletic program in the country, right? Is that even debatable?

Another really good Dantonio - Izzo - Hollis story. 502811600

you didn't ask me, but I'd go with Stanford.. or Carolina.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-11-19, 13:11

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Another really good Dantonio - Izzo - Hollis story. 502811600

Why Stanford? Out of curiosity. I can see the argument for UNC, not sure I see the Stanford one.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-11-19, 13:11

As I mentioned.. looks like Stanford, Carolina.. Florida.. USC.. maybe UCLA
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-11-19, 13:13

InTenSity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: Another really good Dantonio - Izzo - Hollis story. 502811600

Why Stanford? Out of curiosity. I can see the argument for UNC, not sure I see the Stanford one.
they rock the country club sports.. water polo, swimming, golf, etc. Along with having traditionally solid programs in cross-country, basketball, football, volleyball, etc.

oh, and cue "well those aren't real sports" from MSU fans.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-11-19, 13:27

Great article. Didn't realize how close the families were. I had 4 cousins going to MSU at the same time as me. It was definitely a plus having family there. We didn't live together or anything, but we saw each other regularly and whenever any of our parents came to visit.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-19, 13:30

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
they rock the country club sports.. water polo, swimming, golf, etc. Along with having traditionally solid programs in cross-country, basketball, football, volleyball, etc.

Those aren't real sports Bob.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-11-19, 13:32

Who gives a fuck about anything other than football or basketball? I can't name even one of our quiditch players. Not one.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-11-19, 13:41

DWags wrote:Who gives a fuck about anything other than football or basketball? I can't name even one of our quiditch players. Not one.
I can name only 1 former tennis player.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-19, 13:53

InTenSity wrote:
DWags wrote:Who gives a fuck about anything other than football or basketball? I can't name even one of our quiditch players. Not one.

Andre Aggassi?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-11-19, 13:54

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

Andre Aggassi?
He went to MSU?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-19, 13:56

InTenSity wrote:

Andre Aggassi?
He went to MSU?

Fuck if I know. who cares. It's tennis.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-11-19, 14:02

InTenSity wrote:
He went to MSU?

Fuck if I know. who cares. It's tennis.
Apparently Stanford cares! They pay attention to things like that. We can't have nice things until we have top 10 Quidditch, golf, tennis, swimming, diving, undersea weaving, fishing, hunting, white river rafting, table tennis, COD4, WOW Guilds, and synchronized gymnastics.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-11-19, 14:02

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Those aren't real sports Bob.
agree completely. The only "real sports" are the ones we do well in.

GO GREEN!!

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down