Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good story on Bridges. (Aren't they all good?)

2 posters

Go down

Good story on Bridges.  (Aren't they all good?) Empty Good story on Bridges. (Aren't they all good?)

Post by DWags 2018-06-11, 09:35

Mom explains the meal and her fear:

https://nypost.com/2018/06/10/miles-bridges-path-to-the-nba-doesnt-look-like-anyone-elses/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

" I was a nervous wreck. I felt like, ‘Oh my gosh, I just destroyed his career by meeting with this man when he was in high school,” Cynthia said. “That’s a horrible feeling. I felt like the lowest mom.

“It was a so-called friend who said I just want you to meet with this guy and he will explain how everything works. We did have dinner. He was telling me when Miles goes pro, I’ll get him a shoe deal, we’ll get this and that. … That agent, he was dirty. I didn’t take any money. And then he had on there that Miles was going to meet with him at a certain time, and none of that was true.”

Michigan State conducted an internal review and presented its findings to the NCAA. Four days later, the compliance office announced it discovered the dinner took place without Bridges’ knowledge. Bridges made a $40 charity donation to resolve the minor NCAA violation and was back on the court to help the Spartans secure their first outright Big Ten title in nine years.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Good story on Bridges.  (Aren't they all good?) Empty Re: Good story on Bridges. (Aren't they all good?)

Post by SawGreen 2018-06-11, 12:03

Great read, Greater Spartan.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Good story on Bridges.  (Aren't they all good?) Empty Re: Good story on Bridges. (Aren't they all good?)

Post by Guest 2018-12-05, 19:21

The 2018-19 Disrespectful Dunk Index, Part 1

That’s Miles Bridges turning Dewayne Dedmon into a bowl of menudo.

Category 1—Difficulty/impressiveness: Here’s a screenshot of Miles Bridges mid-dunk:

See the shape that his body is making? Here, I’ll highlight it for you with a red line:

That’s a beautiful shape. It’s like the edge of a waxing crescent moon. It’s a thing that very good dunkers do because (a) it looks extremely cool, and (b) it makes the dunk harder to block, because they’ve both moved the ball farther back and also have generated way more force to push it past a defender’s block attempt. (This is why Bridges falls after the dunk. He’s anticipating that Dedmon is going to at least make a little bit of contact with the ball, so Bridges cocks it back extra far and smashes it forward extra hard. Since Dedmon isn’t able to get up where Bridges gets up, Bridges is thrown off-balance, like when you go to open a door that you think is very heavy and so you push it real hard but it turns out the door is light and you end up just whipping it open like an idiot.) If a player does the waxing crescent thing on a dunk, it automatically turns into a top-level kind of showing. Big score here for Bridges. 16/20.

Category 2—Dunker’s reaction: You get a decent little flex from Bridges, which is always appreciated, but more importantly he gives you the I’m Revving the Motorcycle celebration as he bounces back down the court, and of course that’s notable here because it’s one of Vince Carter’s signature dunk celebrations, and Vince Carter plays for the opposing team. (This, clearly, is not a disrespectful lift of the move. Bridges has been on the record about hoping to imitate Vince Carter’s dunking ability since he was in high school. Choosing to do Vince’s celebration while Vince is in the building is his version of that scene in The Godfather when Bonasera kisses Don Corleone’s ring.) 13/20.

Category 3—Defense: Dewayne Dedmon tried. Dewayne Dedmon died. 11/20.

Category 4—Backstory: This is unfair to Dedmon, but: One of my very favorite basketball things is watching someone who used to play for my beloved Spurs get done up somewhere else after he leaves the Spurs. (The A1 example is when Antonio Daniels, a semi-phenomenon when he played in San Antonio because he was young and handsome and visited many nightclubs in town, got double-crossed up by Allen Iverson in 2006.) Dedmon had the chance to pick up his player option at the end of his contract with the Spurs during the summer of 2017 but opted not to. And so, because of that, I’m going to give Bridges a big score here even though technically he shouldn’t get one. 16/20.

Category 5—Cleanliness of the dunk: I love when the net comes splashing all the way up through the rim. It’s pretty. 5/5.

Category 6—Reaction of those not directly involved with the dunk: It’s the one announcer who says, “Uh oh,” to himself as Bridges is rising up that really lets you know that this dunk is real anarchy. There’s a scene late in Goodfellas where Joe Pesci’s character, a very violent hothead named Tommy DeVito, walks into a room because he thinks he’s there to become a made man. He’s all dressed up in his best suit and he’s very proud. It’s just a great, great moment for him as he’s walking in. As soon as he gets in there, though, he sees that it’s empty. He says, “Oh no,” and then blammo! A gunshot to the back of the head. That’s what this dunk is, in a manner of speaking. And of course you get this wonderful shot of Kemba Walker on the bench reacting to it:

Because Kemba knows what I’m going to tell you right now: It wasn’t a waxing crescent move that Bridges was doing. He was shitting on a dude; that’s what he was doing. 16/20

(Clearly this is a joke. Dedmon is a doll and I like him a lot.)

Total: The Miles Bridges dunk on Dewayne Dedmon was 77 percent disrespectful to Dedmon.

Pictures in story at link.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down