Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hialeah Mayor: No Shortage of Coin

+2
InTenSity
Floyd Robertson
6 posters

Go down

Picture Hialeah Mayor: No Shortage of Coin

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-11-20, 08:22

County ethics commission sues Hialeah mayor for trying to pay $4K fine with pennies

The Miami-Dade Commission on Ethics and Public Trust has sued Hialeah Mayor Carlos Hernandez for trying to pay $4,000 in fines and costs with 28 buckets of pennies and nickels, the commission said Wednesday.

In a statement, the Commission said it rejected Hernandez move, calling it a ploy that was “deemed commercially unreasonable and contemptuous.” The mayor, accompanied by several television crews, disregarded a requirement to pay in check and instead delivered 360,000 coins last month.
“A small claims complaint was filed in County Court. A hearing was set for Dec. 9 to address the Mayor’s non-compliance,” the statement added.

28 buckets. 360,000 pennies and nickels. Hialeah Mayor: No Shortage of Coin 502811600

Hialeah Mayor: No Shortage of Coin Bucket
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Picture Re: Hialeah Mayor: No Shortage of Coin

Post by InTenSity 2015-11-20, 08:28

Just another Tuesday in Hialeah. I'm surprised that anyone was caught talking English there.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-11-20, 08:29

Fuck them.

The Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-11-20, 08:36

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Fuck them.

The Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

I wonder what the context for that is.  I mean, I don't remember much before 1965 but I've seen pre-1965 coins and bills, so it isn't like they weren't legal tender before then.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-20, 08:49

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:Fuck them.

I wonder what the context for that is.  I mean, I don't remember much before 1965 but I've seen pre-1965 coins and bills, so it isn't like they weren't legal tender before then.

Price of silver was really high- they moved to minimize the amount of silver in coins- made a law that you have to accept the new coins so that people wouldn't be all "lol I'm not taking those busted new coins. Give me the old silver ones."
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-11-20, 08:58

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Price of silver was really high- they moved to minimize the amount of silver in coins- made a law that you have to accept the new coins so that people wouldn't be all "lol I'm not taking those busted new coins. Give me the old silver ones."

Ahhh, yes, the dawn of cladding.  I should have thought of that.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-11-20, 20:55

Oh, Hialeah. In-laws live there. Daughter went to school there until this year. And the politics, well, corrupt doesn't begin to describe it. For the last 5 years, my daughter had the son of the previous mayor and the granddaughter of the mayor before that in her class. The grandfather of the girl was mayor for a couple of decades, during which time he was convicted on RICO laws, got off on a technicality, then still managed to get reelected. I see him at his granddaughter's b-day parties, and it's like a scene out of The Godfather, the way people go up to him.

The other former mayor (dad of the kid in my daughters old class) and his wife were acquitted of tax evasion a year or two ago in what everyone knew was a joke of an acquittal. Basically they were loan sharks, but blamed it on a ponzi schemer. IIRC, part of their defense had something to do with hundreds of thousands of dollars that was not reported was him paying off a mistress.

So a mayor using coins to pay fines? That's saint-like as Hialeah mayors go.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-11-20, 21:04

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Ahhh, yes, the dawn of cladding.  I should have thought of that.

Memory is the first thing to go for old fcukers like us, unless you include erections. And bladder control.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-11-20, 21:41

Memory is the first thing to go for old fcukers like us, unless you include erections. And bladder control.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down