Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK science guys, Einstein's gravitational waves theory about to be proven today

+15
MiamiSpartan
Code_Warrior
AMwood
Rocinante
I.B. Fine
Other Teams Pursuing That
tGreenWay
Cym Jim
Watch Out Pylon!
Robert J Sakimano
NigelUno
CORNER BLITZ
Giant Moose
Turtleneck
DWags
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

OK science guys, Einstein's gravitational waves theory about to be proven today Empty OK science guys, Einstein's gravitational waves theory about to be proven today

Post by DWags 2016-02-11, 07:03

Tell me why this is important and explain it to me like the idiot I am.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/10/10958154/einstein-gravitational-waves-ligo-discovery-announcement-live-stream
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

OK science guys, Einstein's gravitational waves theory about to be proven today Empty Re: OK science guys, Einstein's gravitational waves theory about to be proven today

Post by Turtleneck 2016-02-11, 07:11

How do magnets work?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

OK science guys, Einstein's gravitational waves theory about to be proven today Empty Re: OK science guys, Einstein's gravitational waves theory about to be proven today

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-11, 07:40

Turtleneck wrote:How do magnets work?
It's either God or the devil's work.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-02-11, 09:06

Another good article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/12150944/Gravitational-waves-Einstein-was-right-and-this-announcement-is-the-scientific-highlight-of-the-decade.html
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-02-11, 09:59

DWags wrote:Tell me why this is important and explain it to me like the idiot I am.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/10/10958154/einstein-gravitational-waves-ligo-discovery-announcement-live-stream

Home board.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-11, 10:00

it means that the more you weigh, the harder you are to kidnap.

Sincerely,

tRCMB tailgate brigade
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-02-11, 10:22

Pretty sure they're gonna create a black hole when they turn this thing on. Nice knowing you dudes.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2016-02-11, 10:39

OK science guys, Einstein's gravitational waves theory about to be proven today Science-nothing-but-a-bunch-of-assholes-trying-to-prove-shit-1452307278
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-02-11, 10:44

Fred Sanford found the Ripple back in the 70's.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-02-11, 10:46

Done. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/02/12/science/ligo-gravitational-waves-black-holes-einstein.html?_r=1&referer=https://www.google.com/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-11, 11:19

So now that they've proven Einstein is right, who is the next dude with a bunch of crazy theories who will be proven right?
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-02-11, 11:23

Yeah, I think I might have asked on the wrong website.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-11, 11:28

DWags wrote:Yeah, I think I might have asked on the wrong website.
Sorry, I learned all my science from a fat guy in a rat costume. OK science guys, Einstein's gravitational waves theory about to be proven today 2599972566

OK science guys, Einstein's gravitational waves theory about to be proven today RKOLJhl
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-02-11, 11:29

Giant Moose wrote:So now that they've proven Einstein is right, who is the next dude with a bunch of crazy theories who will be proven right?

I just want my flying car that Back To The Future promised.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-02-11, 11:31

I guess I was curious as to why this even makes a big fucking deal. I mean is it going to help cure cancer? Help us get rid of fossil fuel? Will we be able to transport ourselves to California in seconds if we have the right amount of money? What the fuck will this do for mankind?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-02-11, 11:40

DWags wrote:I guess I was curious as to why this even makes a big fucking deal. I mean is it going to help cure cancer? Help us get rid of fossil fuel? Will we be able to transport ourselves to California in seconds if we have the right amount of money? What the fuck will this do for mankind?

It's basically another stepping stone in understanding how the universe works. It probably won't benefit us in our lifetime, but being able to harness gravity could lead to limitless energy, a new propulsion system for space travel. We might be able to detect wormholes (if they even exist). Or we might discover who the hell knows what next now that we can detect gravitational waves. The universe is a strange place.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-11, 11:42

this is the exact kind of thing you can expect as soon as we removed god from schools.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-11, 11:42

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
DWags wrote:I guess I was curious as to why this even makes a big fucking deal. I mean is it going to help cure cancer? Help us get rid of fossil fuel? Will we be able to transport ourselves to California in seconds if we have the right amount of money? What the fuck will this do for mankind?

It's basically another stepping stone in understanding how the universe works. It probably won't benefit us in our lifetime, but being able to harness gravity could lead to limitless energy, a new propulsion system for space travel. We might be able to detect wormholes (if they even exist). Or we might discover who the hell knows what next now that we can detect gravitational waves. The universe is a strange place.
What a waste of money. I could tell you that worm holes exist just by looking in my backyard.

OK science guys, Einstein's gravitational waves theory about to be proven today KHDUtrm
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-02-11, 11:51

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:Tell me why this is important and explain it to me like the idiot I am.

Home board.

What's a home board?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2016-02-11, 11:54

How the guy was able to conceptualize all this over 100 years ago is hard to comprehend, not sure I'm able to comprehend it now.
He had to be a real Einstein. OK science guys, Einstein's gravitational waves theory about to be proven today 294152859
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-11, 11:56

I.B. Fine wrote:How the guy was able to conceptualize all this over 100 years ago is hard to comprehend, not sure I'm able to comprehend it now.
He had to be a real Einstein. OK science guys, Einstein's gravitational waves theory about to be proven today 294152859
I sometimes wonder what he would have been like now with all the technology we have. Would it have helped him or would he just play Angry Birds all day and not discover anything?
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-02-11, 12:06

Sorry, only the free market can innovate. Government is bad. Nothing good ever came out of taxation and government spending.

Signed,

Computers, Internet, microprocessors, mobile phones... etc. etc. etc.

Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2016-02-11, 12:40

for you homos that like this kind of stuff, there is an awesome documentary on netflix called "particle fever" that i know you would enjoy. i know, because i am one of those homos that likes that kind of stuff... and butt play.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-02-11, 13:22

AMwood wrote:for you homos that like this kind of stuff, there is an awesome documentary on netflix called "particle fever" that i know you would enjoy. i know, because i am one of those homos that likes that kind of stuff... and butt play.

You prolly like What The #*%$ Do We Know, you gay hippy.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2016-02-11, 13:44

Rocinante wrote:
AMwood wrote:for you homos that like this kind of stuff, there is an awesome documentary on netflix called "particle fever" that i know you would enjoy. i know, because i am one of those homos that likes that kind of stuff... and butt play.

You prolly like What The #*%$ Do We Know, you gay hippy.

saw it but for some reason it didn't resonate with me. probably not enough man on man stuff.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2016-02-11, 13:47

nevermind
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2016-02-11, 14:25

If you were living in 1888 when Hienrich Hertz published his findings that experimentally confirmed Maxwell's prediction of the existence of electromagnetic waves in free space, you might have said something similar because at that time there was no way anyone could have envisioned the explosion of wireless communication technology upon which we have become dependent. That technology depends entirely on being able to generate and manipulate electromagnetic waves, something we could not have accomplished without the experiments that proved their existence.

Nobody can predict how the detection of gravitational waves will will impact the future, but it doesn't have to solve the problems of today to be considered a very big deal.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2016-02-11, 14:40

Code_Warrior wrote:
If you were living in 1888 when Hienrich Hertz published his findings that experimentally confirmed Maxwell's prediction of the existence of electromagnetic waves in free space, you might have said something similar because at that time there was no way anyone could have envisioned the explosion of wireless communication technology upon which we have become dependent. That technology depends entirely on being able to generate and manipulate electromagnetic waves, something we could not have accomplished without the experiments that proved their existence.

Nobody can predict how the detection of gravitational waves will will impact the future, but it doesn't have to solve the problems of today to be considered a very big deal.
Yup, the first stage is to be able to capture/measure something that was previously only speculated to exist (even if the speculation was widely accepted). In the short term it helps our understanding of the universe, and could fundamentally alter certain aspects of that understanding as it's studied more. In the longer term, it could lead to great advancements and new technology that we can't even guess at.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2016-02-11, 14:49

MiamiSpartan wrote:Yup, the first stage is to be able to capture/measure something that was previously only speculated to exist (even if the speculation was widely accepted). In the short term it helps our understanding of the universe, and could fundamentally alter certain aspects of that understanding as it's studied more. In the longer term, it could lead to great advancements and new technology that we can't even guess at.

Indeed. Look at Kinsey for example.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-02-11, 14:51

Cym Jim wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Yup, the first stage is to be able to capture/measure something that was previously only speculated to exist (even if the speculation was widely accepted). In the short term it helps our understanding of the universe, and could fundamentally alter certain aspects of that understanding as it's studied more. In the longer term, it could lead to great advancements and new technology that we can't even guess at.

Indeed. Look at Kinsey for example.

Cym can you check your PMs pleaaaaaasse :)
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-02-11, 14:55

The theory of relativity is working in your phone. Without it, the gps wouldn't work
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-02-11, 15:03

I.B. Fine wrote:How the guy was able to conceptualize all this over 100 years ago is hard to comprehend, not sure I'm able to comprehend it now.

Waves produced during the final fraction of a second of the merger of two black holes 1.3 billion years ago. For a fraction of a second, it was producing 50 times more power than all the suns in the universe combined.

Insane
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-02-11, 16:24

Code_Warrior wrote:

Understood, but to a non science guy trying to get into this cause his kids kind of are, it's a bit of a bummer. I thought it was gonna unlock some kind of time space continuum and I'd be able to go back a watch the Packers beat the Chiefs in the Super Bowl as an adult.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-02-11, 16:33

DWags wrote:
Code_Warrior wrote:

Understood, but to a non science guy trying to get into this cause his kids kind of are, it's a bit of a bummer. I thought it was gonna unlock some kind of time space continuum and I'd be able to go back a watch the Packers beat the Chiefs in the Super Bowl as an adult.

If your kids are into astronomy I'd have them watch the new Cosmos series if they haven't watched it yet. It's on Netflix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Spacetime_Odyssey
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2016-02-11, 17:00

DWags wrote:
Code_Warrior wrote:

For a non-science guy, for the near term future, all it's likely to unlock is a lot of really boring science shit. But if you're lucky, at some point there might be a YouTube video of some physicists getting into a Big Bang Theory Sheldon v. Leonard level slap fight over the implications of this for some of their GUTs (grand unified theories). That's what I'm hoping for. OK science guys, Einstein's gravitational waves theory about to be proven today 2599972566
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-02-11, 17:18

OK I stuffed that in my Netflix queue. You better pray I like it.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-02-13, 09:53

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
DWags wrote:

Understood, but to a non science guy trying to get  into this cause his kids kind of are, it's a bit of a bummer. I thought it was gonna unlock some kind of time space continuum and I'd be able to go back a watch the Packers beat the Chiefs in the Super Bowl as an adult.

If your kids are into astronomy I'd have them watch the new Cosmos series if they haven't watched it yet. 

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2016-02-13, 10:01

Floyd Robertson wrote:

OK science guys, Einstein's gravitational waves theory about to be proven today 1966794946  It wouldn't be a messageboard without a vague threat of unspecified harm.  

Oh, and IB4 Bob says, "God bless you.  You are a great American."
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-02-21, 15:20

Floyd Robertson wrote:
I don't know about this movie, AM. No hot chicks in the first 30 minutes.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-02-25, 22:15

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next