Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HBO's The Leftovers

+5
y2kMgrad
InTenSity
Watch Out Pylon!
Dr. Strangelove
Death Roe
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

HBO's The Leftovers - Page 3 Empty Re: HBO's The Leftovers

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2017-05-30, 09:46

Well Kevin has now been responsible for Patti's death three times.

Suicide (after kidnapping), drowning and nuclear holocaust.

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-06-04, 19:42

Bump for tonight's finale.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-06-04, 19:48

:(

HBO's The Leftovers - Page 3 7in2417lam1z
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2017-06-04, 23:02

I don't want to say that it was disappointing because we did get really nice full frontal of Carrie Coon but it was disappointing.

Crazy ass show runs 27 crazy episodes and then wraps up as a Hallmark card.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-06-05, 00:31

Nice blue screen of death right when that machine was about to do its thing.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2017-06-05, 06:36

Fucking critics loved the finale: Sepinwall, NYT, CNN, etc

I'm not feeling that. Everything was going great right until she rode the lightening.

Then we get the abrupt time shift and I'm going with it. Where is Nora? When is Nora? Is she in Purgatory? These are questions I'm asking myself.

Then clean shaven older Kevin shows up but he doesn't seem to have any memory. So maybe this is some alternate Earth or something wacky. Then she calls Lori and then the show goes for the Hallmark ending.

All that weird ass shit in the previous 27 episodes? Yeah we're gonna gloss over that. Kevin will fill you in on the supporting cast and we're gonna give Nora a big exposition speech that you can either believe or not and end with them together.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-06-05, 07:20

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Fucking critics loved the finale: Sepinwall, NYT, CNN, etc

I'm not feeling that. Everything was going great right until she rode the lightening.

Then we get the abrupt time shift and I'm going with it. Where is Nora? When is Nora? Is she in Purgatory? These are questions I'm asking myself.

Then clean shaven older Kevin shows up but he doesn't seem to have any memory. So maybe this is some alternate Earth or something wacky. Then she calls Lori and then the show goes for the Hallmark ending.

All that weird ass shit in the previous 27 episodes? Yeah we're gonna gloss over that. Kevin will fill you in on the supporting cast and we're gonna give Nora a big exposition speech that you can either believe or not and end with them together.

What did you want? You didn't seem to like this show very much anyway.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-06-05, 07:37

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Fucking critics loved the finale: Sepinwall, NYT, CNN, etc

I guess Laurie just went scuba diving that one time.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2017-06-05, 08:05

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

What did you want? You didn't seem to like this show very much anyway.

I loved this show - this is an awesome show but they did not stick the landing imho.

The Disappeared, Commander Dog Killer, the Guilty Remnant, Nora paying hookers to shoot her, Holy Wayne, Miracle Texas, International Assassin, God being eaten by a Lion, the immoral Kevin - great fucking show pushing the boundaries.

Then we end with our two main leads telling (and in broad strokes) not showing what had happened when Nora got into the Radiation Machine.

I would have been fine with them ending with Nora waking up on Earth 2 and walking. Hell they could have made a season 4 of Nora getting to Mapleton if they could have gotten a renewal.

What did I want? Not what I got.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-06-05, 08:08

NigelUno wrote:

Guess so. That was a bit of a bait and switch, but whatever. I'm surprised that they had Nora explain that she did make it to "the other side".

The director said all along that there would be no explanation of how the disappearance happened. Her retelling of her trip to the 2% and back doesn't do that but it does go into supernatural aspects of the show. Anyway, maybe Nora was lying.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-06-05, 09:21

I definitely think Nora was lying. She lost her children and moved on with her life. Kevin lost her and couldn't let it go for years.

Nora was too afraid to be truly loved, I started to think she really was Azrael the demon. Kevin's "scar" is a lie too. Heart attack? That key scene from the previous episode is his scar somehow. They both lied, but they both still love each other.

Lindelof said this show was a love story, and it concluded like one.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-06-05, 10:29

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Guess so. That was a bit of a bait and switch, but whatever. I'm surprised that they had Nora explain that she did make it to "the other side".

The director said all along that there would be no explanation of how the disappearance happened. Her retelling of her trip to the 2% and back doesn't do that but it does go into supernatural aspects of the show. Anyway, maybe Nora was lying.

That would be a pretty elaborate lie. I think she believed it happened. Whether it did or not might be debatable to some extent.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-06-05, 13:45

Death Roe wrote:I definitely think Nora was lying. She lost her children and moved on with her life. Kevin lost her and couldn't let it go for years.

Nora was too afraid to be truly loved, I started to think she really was Azrael the demon. Kevin's "scar" is a lie too. Heart attack? That key scene from the previous episode is his scar somehow. They both lied, but they both still love each other.

Lindelof said this show was a love story, and it concluded like one.
I don't think she lied. But the fact that you do think that she lied, and I don't think that she lied is EXACTLY why they had her tell the story, rather than show the story (to Strangelove's comment). Also, as someone who believed her, I felt it was more powerful with it being spoken, as the actress did a tremendous job.

Perhaps the reason that I choose to believe her, is that I like the idea of parallel universes from a scientific and philosophical viewpoint. There are a lot of fascinating physics theories on this. Lost touched on this idea a bit, which is why it makes sense that Lindelof would use that here (and also the concept that a dramatic energy event caused it). But here, they did a twist on it, with something fracturing the current timeline and creating two separate ones and splitting the people up between one or the other. Of course, it's not necessarily a situation of multiple universes from a scientific perspective. It could be an afterlife with one group or the other dying, it could be something in someone's head, or something that Nora just made up.

But sticking with the idea that she didn't make it up, I also like how it twisted the entire premise of the show. Maybe 2% of the world's population didn't disappear. Maybe 98% disappeared. And as bad as it's been for the characters on this show, they can't even comprehend what it must have been like for the 2%.

So yeah, I loved the finale. In part, probably because having any kind of an explanation took me completely by surprise. Since before the show even started, just hearing about the general plot and knowing Lindelof was behind it, I figured it would be this big mystery that we'd never really know the answer to what/why/how, because the story is more about the characters and how they deal with it, than what "it" is. But I also really enjoyed the explanation that they did, and the layers that it added to the show.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-06-05, 13:58

My only issue with the finale was Kevin pretending like nothing happened since they met at the dance. I thought THAT was the alternate universe that she had landed in after going in the machine, which could have still been interesting, IMO. I don't really get why he would stay down that "we were only briefly acquainted" road for so long, but whatever.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2017-06-05, 15:12

I never expected them to explain "why" 2% of the population disappeared and yes Coon and Theroux did outstanding acting jobs especially in the finale. I just didn't see the whole series as a Nora/Kevin love story which is what the it boiled down to in the end.

Chalk me down as really enjoying the voyage but the destination left me a bit empty.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-06-05, 15:36

Another computer related thing I noticed was that hill that Nora kept riding her bike past reminded me of the old Microsoft hill background. I looked it up on the Googleizer and it's called Bliss. Not sure if that was deliberate or not.

HBO's The Leftovers - Page 3 Bliss
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3