Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bump Everytime an Old Time Player Criticizes Today's NBA

+5
BleacherSwill
duffy munn
Dr. Strangelove
Giant Moose
steveschneider
9 posters

Go down

Bump Everytime an Old Time Player Criticizes Today's NBA Empty Bump Everytime an Old Time Player Criticizes Today's NBA

Post by steveschneider Mon 29 Feb 2016 - 11:17

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/golden-state-warriors-steve-kerr-oscar-robertson-old-time-players-stephen-curry-criticism-022716

I love Steve Kerr firing back at the bitter old time players criticizing today's NBA. Basketball is played better than ever and the old time players are losing their shit.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Bump Everytime an Old Time Player Criticizes Today's NBA Empty Re: Bump Everytime an Old Time Player Criticizes Today's NBA

Post by steveschneider Mon 29 Feb 2016 - 11:19

Add Oscar Robertson to the list.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2619777-oscar-robertson-comments-on-stephen-curry-modern-nba-game

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Bump Everytime an Old Time Player Criticizes Today's NBA Empty Re: Bump Everytime an Old Time Player Criticizes Today's NBA

Post by Giant Moose Mon 29 Feb 2016 - 11:21

Kerr wouldn't know what the best NBA was like. His best seasons were in the crappiest era of the NBA.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 29 Feb 2016 - 11:38

Giant Moose wrote:Kerr wouldn't know what the best NBA was like. His best seasons were in the crappiest era of the NBA.

Played from 1988 - 2003 and post retirement he was a great columnist, announcer and now coach. He's got a pretty impressive resume.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Mon 29 Feb 2016 - 15:43

Curry is awesome no question but can we wait just a little bit before crowning him the greatest ever? Dude is in the middle of his 7th season.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Mon 29 Feb 2016 - 15:58

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Curry is awesome no question but can we wait just a little bit before crowning him the greatest ever? Dude is in the middle of his 7th season.

He's doing things I have never seen in 40+ years of watching NBA basketball. Best ever ? Not yet but damn the guy is amazing.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 29 Feb 2016 - 17:10

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Curry is awesome no question but can we wait just a little bit before crowning him the greatest ever? Dude is in the middle of his 7th season.

It's not only Curry that is getting called out it's the current generation of players. The older generation finds all sorts of faults with their style of play but gives no credit to all of the advancements they've brought to the game.

Also, the #1 criticism from the old timers is that in their time they'd put curry on his ass so that he'd miss shots. Well Saturday night he rolled his ankle, had to sit out a quarter, came back limping and still torched the Thunder from the 3pt line.

Also, to Oscar's criticisms there's plenty of coaches that have been around since the 70's and 80's how come they can't draw up a defense to stop Curry?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 2 Mar 2016 - 12:31

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:14882961&ex_cid=espnfb

Add Charles Barkley to the list.

The generational bias of old timer NBA players is off the charts these days.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by BleacherSwill Thu 3 Mar 2016 - 8:09

Are we going to consider traveling prior to dribbling an advancement or fault? Other than that today's game is mostly different from the past in the lack of mid range jump shooting and less reliance on post scoring. The three point line obviously makes this less important and the overall increase in athleticism negates some of the center height advantage used in the past. The game also has way less illegal contact than it had in the past. More cameras, coverage, and exposure has softened the hard hitting brutality from the NBA past. An elbow hit today gets played a dozen times on espn where in the past the ref just told a guy to get over it. So yes, Curry may be tough but he has never faced the physical beating players suffered in the past. I personally consider that an improvement in the game.
BleacherSwill
BleacherSwill
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu 3 Mar 2016 - 11:34

I'm not sure they're wrong.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 3 Mar 2016 - 12:14

BleacherSwill wrote:Are we going to consider traveling prior to dribbling an advancement or fault? Other than that today's game is mostly different from the past in the lack of mid range jump shooting and less reliance on post scoring. The three point line obviously makes this less important and the overall increase in athleticism negates some of the center height advantage used in the past. The game also has way less illegal contact than it had in the past. More cameras, coverage, and exposure has softened the hard hitting brutality from the NBA past. An elbow hit today gets played a dozen times on espn where in the past the ref just told a guy to get over it. So yes, Curry may be tough but he has never faced the physical beating players suffered in the past. I personally consider that an improvement in the game.

Midrange game is down and so is the use of the glass/bank shots.

I watched replays on youtube of the Philly vs. Boston game 6 and you had a player going in the stands to fight a fan. Everyone broke up the fight and the game continued. I remember as a kid watching the Rockets vs. Celtics and there was a bench clearing brawl in the game. Maybe one or two player got ejected but nothing major came of it.

The players are too strong, too fast and if you had the same level of physical play there would be some very disturbing injuries as a result. I agree with you cleaning up the game is an improvement.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Thu 3 Mar 2016 - 13:26

steveschneider wrote:
The players are too strong, too fast and if you had the same level of physical play there would be some very disturbing injuries as a result. I agree with you cleaning up the game is an improvement.

Maybe the players are too big and strong compared to pre-merger but after? I'd say they're about even.

It was a different league. Issues were settled with fists and there was no flagrant foul bullshit and refs looking at monitors. Also only 2 refs meant a lot wasn't called.

I like the way today's game can flow and I liked the pre-Riley Knicks NBA too.

I think Curry could have been like Rick Barry back in the day and got a title but on the flipside yesterday's Celts, Lakers, Bulls would have thrived in today's league.

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 11 May 2016 - 12:42

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/steph-curry-mvp-unanimous-tracy-mcgrady-won-watered-down-051016

Tracy McGrady the latest to spew out his generational bias for 90's basketball.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 11 May 2016 - 13:45

Tracy McGrady? Bump Everytime an Old Time Player Criticizes Today's NBA 502811600

Come the fuck on
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth Wed 11 May 2016 - 18:43

Can we extend this to MLB too? Goose Gossage doesn't want to be left out.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 11 May 2016 - 18:58

I don't understand. Even in the league's heyday there were only 1-2 teams capable of winning a Championship in any given year. 3 tops. And then you had a bunch of also rans who were fun to watch because they had some exciting players but were not real threats. Same as today.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 May 2016 - 19:24

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I don't understand. Even in the league's heyday there were only 1-2 teams capable of winning a Championship in any given year. 3 tops. And then you had a bunch of also rans who were fun to watch because they had some exciting players but were not real threats. Same as today.

And if anything with :

the static number of teams
more overseas talent
population growth here meaning a deeper talent pool
fewer kids playing football and baseball

the league is tougher not easier.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 11 May 2016 - 20:05

LooseGoose wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I don't understand. Even in the league's heyday there were only 1-2 teams capable of winning a Championship in any given year. 3 tops. And then you had a bunch of also rans who were fun to watch because they had some exciting players but were not real threats. Same as today.

And if anything with :

the static number of teams
more overseas talent
population growth here meaning a deeper talent pool
fewer kids playing football and baseball

the league is tougher not easier.

About how I see it. The depth on teams in the 90's and 80's era wasn't as good as it is now.

The shooting is better now behind the 3pt arc than it ever was.

The defense is better. The athleticism is just off the charts now. If you go back and compare a classic 80's or 90's game on youtube to current play it starts to become apparent.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down